main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attack of the Clones: the film that TPM should have been

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by TrueJedi, Aug 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xuxuspetals

xuxuspetals Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2001
    C3PO - point conceded - the internet really does place all things on a broader scale than 20 years ago.

Stone Jedi - Vader is Luke's Father - D@mn; spoiled... Didn't know that - was watching them all in order. ;) BTW - who the heck are this Vader and Luke anyway.

PS - darthsidious32 - want to seriously thank you for putting the title into perspective, at least for me - renaming EpV as Attack of the Empire does not seem even 1/8 as bad as Attack of the Clones - Perhaps I have been dwelling on the wrong part of the Titlae that is bothering me - perhaps it is not so much the "Attack of" part but the "clones" that sounds so silly to me... Perhaps Christmas....

2. TPMrules23

TPMrules23 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2000
    PS Hawk - Lucas didn't write AOTC by himself, and Portman and Christensen both like his style of directing. Most people like working with GL. I like Jackson's interview in recent Insider, he basically called actors like McGreggor and anyone else who whined about bluescreen a weak actor with no imagination. Sameul L knows how to act! And he knows that if you can't work with bluescreen, you'd never be good at theatre!

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    TPMRule23, IF the council is destroyed, IF any new Jedi characters introduced in EII/III are killed, IF Yoda is forced into hidding, IF we see a lot of Jedi die fighting in the Clone War(s), and IF it is established by the end of EIII that the Emperor has established that he is actively hunting down the remaining Jedi, this would be a cool purge. And, I think it is a reasonable expectation to see this in EIII, and I think it would not bore me in the least.

4. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Then I guess Harrison Ford is a weak actor with no imagination because he was one of the principal people to speak against extensive blue screen movies.

5. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    Harrison learned, and dealt with it. And now he is the greatest actor to have in an action movie, a real actor, not some Stalone or whatever. McGreggor's bitterness about having to act in front of blue in TPM was one thing since it was new to him, but he whined just as much for AOTC. As Samuel L said, actors in theatre have to pretend something is there when its not ALL the time. What part of ACTING led McGreggor to believe there wouldn't be imagination, or say....acting involved?

6. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Arnold and Stallone are far better action heroes than Ford. Ford plays the same doofus character in everyone of his films. He has no real talent. Ford is a weenie that insulted GL's writing of the OT. And for that, he is condemned to eternal stupidity.

7. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    You speak treason, TrueJedi. To think that Arnold and Stallone can even act is laughable, much less pited against HF. But then I should expect that from someone who like "Attack of the Clones" as a movie good title. Tutn away from this destructive path, TJ, before it destroys you! Seek the light of Harison Ford's great acting talent, or forever will bad taste dominiate your destiny!

8. Bud Frescoe

Bud Frescoe Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2000
    Jumping back just for a second ...

TPMrules, you suggest that seeing the first ten years of Anakin's training is as important as the Bothan Spies that get killed between TESB and ROTJ (meaning that it isn't important).

In ROTJ, Ben specifically says that the reason Anakin falls is because Ben wasn't a great teacher like Yoda. I'd say that's pretty damn important and worthy of significant screen time. Anyone else feel this way?

9. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Yeah Bud, I agree that that's something pretty important to see. My fear is that at the end of EP3, there will still be several Jedi alive, trying to hide from the Emporer, then ANH will start with all of them dead.

:(

We need to seem some kind of purge, or at least see the plan of action for killing the Jedi start to work. And Yoda and Ben's escape would be pretty important too.

10. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    But Anakin is still a padawan in EII, hence, he's under going training, hence, we see that important element.

Yes, Stoney, we need the purge. And there will be a purge, if I have to conduct the purge myself, there will be a purge.

11. Bud Frescoe

Bud Frescoe Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2000
    Obi Wan was still a padawan in TPM, and he got next to no training in the film. A one-liner here or there will not give us insight into Kenobi's failure as a teacher.

12. Quaff-Down Gin

Quaff-Down Gin Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 1999
    Everything I've heard about McGregor is that he's an excellent stage actor, 23, so what's your point?

13. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    And might I take this opportunity to re-emphasize an important point here, just in case anyone missed it...

3) Discussing opinions of Episode II or III based on spoilers. Threads such as "Don't get too hyped up about episode II" are not allowed since they are informing and discussing spoilers. Opinions of Episode II based on speculation are allowed, but not based on spoilers. Based on spoilers means that they aer discussing spoilers, and that is not allowed in the NS forum.

Can all you spoiler hounds please bear this in mind? It's not easy to remain unspoiled on a new film, but there are some of us who are doing everything we can do avoid ALL spoilers nonetheless. There are a few things that have slipped past my guard, but for the most part I have no knowledge of what takes place in Episode II and I prefer to keep it that way to as great an extent as I can until AOTC is released.

TPM23, regardless of your opinion as to whether we all "need" to be spoiled to enjoy the new SW film or not, ZIP IT! Okay?

14. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    I'd recommend everyone here who is ultra sensitive to anything that could possible, might be, even sound like a spoiler, go elsewhere. This thread is already far too deluted with potential spoiler info to be of any use to you at this point.

15. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    Quaff,
    "Everything I've heard about McGregor is that he's an excellent stage actor, 23, so what's your point? "
    Fine, then he's just some guy that likes to bash SW to boost his ego. Either way, I like how Samuel L told him how it is. I think McGreggor's a good actor, but I really think that's all his whining is. Because if he really did have a problem acting in front of blue, than he wouldn't be as good an actor as I think he is.

Frescoe,
    "TPMrules, you suggest that seeing the first ten years of Anakin's training is as important as the Bothan Spies that get killed between TESB and ROTJ (meaning that it isn't important)."
    No, I was comparing the Naboo camps to the Bothan spies.

"In ROTJ, Ben specifically says that the reason Anakin falls is because Ben wasn't a great teacher like Yoda. I'd say that's pretty damn important and worthy of significant screen time. Anyone else feel this way?"
    This is no longer the fundamental aspect of Anakin's turn...well, there is no one single aspect of Anakin's turn, there are a million. And I'd say Obi-Wan's flaws are seen in AOTC.

Trust me, everything important that happens in Anakin's life happens during the films, particularly in AOTC. You will not be dissapointed.

TJ,
    "And for that, he is condemned to eternal stupidity. "
    You're kidding right? I assume so. Ford works with bugs, rats, snakes, etc. and calls it 'another day at the office' now that's a humble actor!

StoneJedi,
    "My fear is that at the end of EP3, there will still be
    several Jedi alive, trying to hide from the Emporer, then ANH will start with all of them dead."
    Why do you fear this? Will 10,000 of them, its impossible to show them all dying. The Purge takes ALL 18 years as far as we know, how lame would that be to show it all? I think if all the big guys are killed off and Anakin has truly become Vader, the rest is history as they say.

"TPM23, regardless of your opinion as to whether we all "need" to be spoiled to enjoy the new SW film or not, ZIP IT! Okay? "
    I'll do my best.

16. OrlandoT

OrlandoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 1999
    >>>Arnold and Stallone are far better action heroes than Ford. Ford plays the same doofus character in everyone of his films. He has no real talent. Ford is a weenie that insulted GL's writing of the OT. And for that, he is condemned to eternal stupidity.<<<

I don't know if you're kidding or not TJ, but for my genaration Ford has been The Action Hero. I know that Stalone's and Arnold's publicists hype them as "action heroes" but Ford has quietly portrayed some of the best known adventurers in pop colture. Han Solo, Indiana Jones, and to a lesser extent Richard Kimble, Jack Ryan, and The President. Never mind his role in Blade Runner.

Wait a minute, on second thought, I know you're kidding. Me, I really pay little to no attention to the lives of the rich and famous. As far as I'm concerned, their only responsibility is to entertain me with their talents. I don't feel they are obligated to entertain me with their private lives as many people seem to think. This is why I don't give a flying rat what some really think of the roles they are playing but rather how well they play it. If Ford or Mcgreggor really have problems with SW's writing then I'm more impressed with their work. It never shows on screen.

17. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Anything that has been officially released (through SW.com, an official SW magazine, a Lucasfilm "higher-up", etc.) isn't considered a spoiler. If anyone is sensitive to this officially released material, the JC is not for them.

18. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
  19. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Guys, I like Sly (Rambo, Rocky, Demolition Man)and Arnold (Total Recall, Terminator, True Lies, Eraser, Running Man, Conan) better. I enjoy their films very much.

And keep in mind that Ford was not the first choice for Indiana Jones, Tom Selleck was, but he turned it down. He was not the first choice for the Blade Runner role either, Dustin Hoffman was the first choice (http://www.fast-rewind.com/index.html). He was not the first choice for Jack Ryan and he continues to play the role against the wishes of the author of the books.

If it weren't for Indiana Jones and Han Solo, the guy would just be another second rate actor trying to make a living in an industry where action heroes like Sly and Arnold dominate.

20. TPMrules23

Apr 10, 2000
    Selleck's cool as Magnum, but Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones.

Hey, what happened here? Finally, a civil discussion about the new title and everyone leaves!

21. Padawanboy

Padawanboy Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    I like to think of myself as a TPM gusher, but I don't like the title. I can't pretend that I do, because I don't. For me, it just doesn't fit the role of a film as big as Episode II, and it just doesn't seem like a "Star Wars" title. It sounds like the title of a cheesy Sci-Fi movie that was made in the 1960's or something, to me anyway. But I'm just one person among millions..........

22. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    I find it interesting that as I pole the title around, the only people I find who even like it even just a little are people on TF.N. I've yet to meet anyone face to face, fan or no, who think its a good title. I have one friend who calls it "Attack of the Clowns." I'm beginning to think all the people on TF.N who support it aren't real, but the product of some computer hacker, or that I'm imagining all of you. Maybe I need to go see a shrink.........

23. Edvedder

Edvedder Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2000
    I like the title. The clones do attack. it dosent matter who they attack as long as they attack. it sounds cheezy but all of the titles sound cheezy guys. I am not a gusher. TPM for the most part stunk to me. the dialogue Lucas forced the unfortunate actors to endure was nothing less than awful. However, this is not a TPM bashing thread, the title will remain cool to those who like it and for everyone else, it will grow on them. GL will never be able to satify (including me) all of the star wars junkies who somehow think that because they enjoyed the movies as a kid, that it belongs to them, a facit of thier lives that determines if their lives have meaning. OH YEA, I LIKE THE TITLE. I have a feeling that this movie is really going to be something. the action anyway, the dialogue will still suck ******. But i cant wait.

24. Xwing_Pilot

Xwing_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2001
    I haven't posted much on the forums in the past year, but I bashed TPM in the old days numerous times, and now I kind of like the title AoTC. Any movie with the word attack in it is ok in my book.

-Xwing Pilot

P.S. It's a bit late but I'd like to take this time to laugh at all the Council members who insisted that episode 2 would feature epic battles involving Mandolarian armies. Nice try. :/

25. Xwing_Pilot

Xwing_Pilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2001
    Harrison Ford is a good action hero. He grimaces a lot, cracks whips and shoots guns. He ain't no Tom Hanks.

-Xwing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.