main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Attack of the Clones...True or False?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MrNeech, Aug 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Is this the real title of the new movie or just a red herring thrown in by Lucasfilm ala Revenge of the Jedi?

Some hoped The Phantom Menace was a false title but it wasn't. And now this.

Your opinions please...

2. Jedi_Diplomat

Jedi_Diplomat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2001
    I posted this on the poll at the Australia Region General Discussion Forum, and I'll post it here again.

What was GL thinking?!? - that was my first thought, but then I took the time to look at the announcement on the Official Site:

'It harkens back to the sense of pure fun, imagination and excitement that characterized the classic movie serials and pulp space fantasy adventures that inspired the Star Wars saga.'

When it comes down to it, isn't that really what Star Wars is all about? Pure Fun, Imagination, Excitement, the Call to Adventure and the Magical Mystical Force, an epic struggle of Good versus Evil.

And that is why I think it will grow on me, just like 'The Phantom Menace' grew on me.

3. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I really dislike it right now.

GIve me a few days and I'm sure I'll hate in on a whole different level.

I did always like Episode 2 as a name.
    ...so I'm stickin with that

4. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    It's grown on me already, hated it at first but then, it's not really that different to the ones already used.

5. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    don't hate it. look forward to standing in a cue for hours, reaching the ticket window and saying "one to attack of the killer tomatoes please"... doh!

6. The Cooler King

The Cooler King Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2000
    I'm going to sow my tomato crop tomorrow, so that they will be nice and rotten for around June 3 next year.

7. BaiKher

BaiKher Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2001
    24 years of loyal fandom, and how do they repay us?

They get Barney to pull a crayoned name out of a hat..

8. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Give it a few weeks and you'll all be naming your firstborns "Attack" or "Clones."

It's growing on me. I just want it to grow a bit faster so I can get excited.

9. dewback_stew

dewback_stew Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    I dunno, I can't make up my mind on this one. The Phantom Menace was an alright name. But hey, he's GL and he makes up the rules and we have to like em, if not you can jump the fence to Star Trek.

10. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Sorry, I like to watch, but no way am I going to jump the fence for it.

11. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Doesn't really have any mystery about it, like The Phantom Menace, or A New Hope.

The clones are going to attack. Thats all you need to know.

12. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I think it's a stupid name, firstly it's too generic... the name does not indicate that it's a Star Wars film...obviously this will not help ticket sales..secondly it makes it sound like some crap b-grade movie....I think that a title like....Star Wars Two..The Clone Wars Saga would be far more appropriate..I'm sorry but GL needs a lesson in Business..

13. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Let me get this strait, you a poor Uni student telling a man (who owns one of the worlds most lucrative franchises), how to do buisness. I think you should swallow those words Paul. Untill you equal GL's yearly income you have no right to say that he needs buisness lessons.

14. The Cooler King

The Cooler King Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2000
    Why would someone need business lessons to be as rich as Lucas? All it takes is the gift of the gab, a marketable idea and a bit of luck. I personally would suggest a retraction of that statement. I find it insulting and inflamatory, and it isn't even aimed at me. Do remember that GL was once a dirt poor uni student, same as Paul is. Who knows what could happen?

15. JediLeia21

JediLeia21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    paul it's also a thing called artistic licence it's his creation if he wants to call episode 2 that , so be it ...but if you made a film you wouldn't want someone else telling you what to call , cause only you have the certain idea of what you want to name it and before you say that he needs buisness lessons , i have a few companies run by george lucas or inspired by that he runs quite successfully listed below

ILM
    Skywalker Sound
    Lucas Arts
    THX
    Dolby Souround
    so i think you should choose your words more carefully next time

16. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones is going tobe a dead giveaway JediPaul.

That said, there is really no reason to start ganging up on JP for expressing his opinion.

17. MrNeech

MrNeech Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    When I started this thread, I hated the name...now, I love it. GL knows what he's doing.

On a slightly different note...prior to hearing the new title, I had been spending some time reading 'fan speculation' on the Ep 2's title over in the spoiler forums.
    I think it is an absolute riot that these diehard fans were coming up with unimaginative titles such as Rise of the Empire or Fall of the Jedi and patting each other on the back. And then Attack of the Clones was decided and they spat the dummy about how corny it was.
    To them I say suck it!!!

And Paul...If you can't see that the title relates to a Star Wars movie, then I truly pity you.

18. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    If JP had just said he didn't like the title and explained why he didn't like it then I will admit he was only giving an oppinion and would not have said anything. However he did not, telling someone they don't know what they are doing espicially when said person is more successful than you is just arrogant presumption.

I'm sorry but that did not go down to well with me and I needed to say something. As I stated before you can't comment on how somebody should do things untill you yourself are as equally successfull, if not more.

Untill you achieve such success you can't assume that you know anything at all, theory and practice are two different things.

I appologise to JP if I had insulted him, but to be honest he should know better than that.

19. Mr_Squidly

Mr_Squidly Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2001
    Ok JP.
    Firstly GL could call it the "Amazing Star Wars Flea Circus" and everybody would still go to see it!
    I tink you suffer from a awful case of good old knowitallism. :D

20. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Oh look I don't mind if you have a go at JP - thats fine. Its the ganging up that bothers me.

If you get in first go for it.

21. JediLeia21

JediLeia21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    ok,i'm sorry JP if i hurt your feelings

22. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    Firstly Grieyls..since when did my economic status determine my business intelligence?..just because Lucas is successful does not mean that he has high business intelligence....I agree with Cooler...luck, the gift of the gab etc...having the right contacts determines a lot of success in life.....and I resent the inference that because I'm not as *rich* as Lucas then I shouldn't disagree with him....that's pathetic...I am totally dismayed that my opinion re the title has been ripped apart because I'm a *poor uni student*..ahh discrimination is alive and well sadly, since when did money determine your intelligence?

Look at how many rich people are not that smart or educated...so don't equate success with intelligence

And yes I'm hurt, not that my opinion was disagreed with, but that my opinion was degraded for my apparent lack of success in life , really there's not much more I can say except that I think it's narrowminded to throw such insults at people

And I could start throwing insults back..but I won't because I hate conflict..but then again probably certain people will be happy about me being slanged again..but hey..I can take it..I learn from things :)

23. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Firstly I never said anything about your inteligence Paul, and now I feel insulted that you would accuse me of saying such a thing.

Your quote;

"GL needs a lesson in Business"

I really don't care how much education anybody might have, it has no bearing on the facts! Let me repeat, an education means zip against the facts! GL created a very successfull buisness and has kept it going for over twenty years.

Now what I was saying is you can't go criticising that as it is plainly working what ever GL is doing.

The proof is in the pudding as they say. You can speal off as many doctrines as you want but it's not going to count in the real world, something they neglect to teach you at UNI, yes this is how it is supposed to work but put it into practice, it doesn't always come out they way it was meant to.

If you refuse to see this then you are asking for trouble, I don't know how many people I have met that did this and ended up failing because they didn't take into account the unpredictability of the public.

You might dislike the title Paul but that is all that was asked, not your assumptions on how GL should run his buisness. After all how do you know it's going to reduce ticket sales? Where is the evidence of this, tell me please cause I really want to see them, you can't can you cause they are not on sale yet. That was an assumtoin not an oppinion on your part.

Ok, I've ranted enough for now, so I think I will leave it there.

24. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    Ok Grieyls..thanks for being diplomatic....this could have turned into a flame war....

Well yes, you are right..whatever George is doing it is successful....but it could be more successful if he did it different..take for example the Phantom Menace...I have bought no merchandise from that film..I think it is by far the weakest of the films...yet I have spent lots on the Trilogy merchandise, somehow I feel that Lucas is trying to catch the children's market at the expense of the loyal "oldie" fans..us who have grown up with the Trilogy.....hence the Phantom Menace....with characters like Binks, and have you noticed that the main characters like Annie and Amidala are children themselves..this so children would identify with them...but to see how spectacular a failure this strategy has been look at the shelves of unsold EP1 merchendise..its everywhere..because the children didn't take to it..today's kids want things like video games....Pokemon etc....you have to see some validity in my arguement....and finally I think that the new name for EP2 is aimed at kids...basic words..attack Clones etc....so as to hype up kids....get them thinking whoa it's a "fighting" movie and it has Clones..of course which are a "hot" topic at the moment

Personally I think Lucas would be better off targeting our market...I know he's lost me recently.....He should stick to a darker movie style like the Trilogy

And Grieyls..it's not my education that amkes me feel this way..it's common sense!

25. Riffington

Riffington Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2000
    I don't think George is aiming for any market, frankly. He's making the movies (which he's been planning to make pretty much from the beginning)the way he wants them. If he wants dark, he'll make them dark. He made TPM light and happy, because that's the way he wanted to. As for the merchandising, the fact is that people *want* it. If people didn't still want SW merch, they wouldn't have been continuously buying it for 25 years. I have little Ep 1 merchandise....but that's mostly because I don't have the money to buy much (plus I only have so much room in my house ;))

As for the title, personally I don't like it.
    But...as has been said, it's his movie, he can do what he likes. This could be another ploy like Revenge of the Jedi...who knows. I remain one of the people who actually like Ep 1 (ok yes, not as much as the rest of the series) and even admit to being a fan of Jar Jar. But 'Attack of the Clones' is in my mind, cheesy...and I've never associated the Star Wars saga, despite its flaws, with cheesiness. *shrug*
    And I think George is a fantastic businessman. The fact that he asked for exclusive merchandising rights when he made ANH proves that, in my opinion.
    *rant mode off*
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.