Phx Attack of the Clones???

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by jada_marnew, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. jada_marnew Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  2. EmprsHandMick Jedi Master

star 4
    From skin cells none the less, that's pretty impressive, those cells are pretty highly differentiated
  3. Jedi_Wench Jedi Master

star 4
    Stunning achievment for Texans... ;)

By the way, I'm allowed to make fun of Texans...half of my family comes from Goldthwaite, Texas. Believe me, you don't want to know.

My grandfather went to that school, but that's not saying too much. This is the man who bought fifty pairs of different socks when I was living with him my first year of college. He decided to model them all in front of me and my friends in his shorts. Imagine a chicken legged old man strutting around in front of a bunch of hysterically laughing nineteen year old girls and saying...

"Well gals, what do y'all think about this pair...ain't they purty?"

4. jada_marnew Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This is the man who bought fifty pairs of different socks

wenchie!!! You've got to admire someone who loves SOCKS!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D
  5. ToastyMcGrath Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm stockpiling my toenail clippings in preparation for my new clone army!
  6. Lord_Reaper Jedi Knight

star 3
    Mick, this question will probably have to go to you since you're the closest thing we've got to a bioengineer.
    If one were to isolate cells, obtaining the proper strands of DNA to place them into an egg for fertilaztion (or however it's done) then a bunch of those hormones are pumped into the surrogate mother to change the sex of the creature... could you literally have an opposite sex genetic duplicate to yourself?
  7. ToastyMcGrath Jedi Knight

star 1
    Woah... just imagine a Toastetta....
  8. Master_Ronin Jedi Knight

star 2
    Woah... just imagine a Toastetta....

I'd rather not... ;)
  9. Imperial_Birrer Jedi Master

star 4
    that could not happen.The donor has either the XX or XY chromosomes.
  10. Lord_Reaper Jedi Knight

star 3
    Scarier thoughts:
    Choadette
    Reaperina
    and the scariest of them all
    Voidia
  11. EmprsHandMick Jedi Master

star 4
    You could get features for the opposite sex that way, but the chromosomes would still be for the sex that you are. That means that it would look and act female (in the case of a donor being a male) but have the XY chromosomes. This would probably lead to many health problems. To properly get a male donor to give a female duplicate I'd probably say it would be best to find a way to strain out the Y chromosome and replace with another copy of the X that is already in the donor cells (no clue how this would work in practice). Going from a female donor to a male clone would probably require a separate donor to give Y chromosomes if you want to do a similar thing.
  12. jada_marnew Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This whole line of discussion is just plain frightening . . . Choadette?
  13. Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA

star 5
    why must ppl try and clone things like that? is is scientific bragging rights?

dude, i cloned a ferret!
    oh yeah, i cloned a yak!
    so, i just cloned myself a whale!!!

WOW!!!

really....

14. EmprsHandMick Jedi Master

star 4
    Well a part of it is that there are different challenges involved in cloning different things because of the way that they develop from fertilization. So knowing how to clone one type of animal opens up the ability to do it with several others that have the same type of developmental process
  15. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    It also has practical uses in the theoretical sense. If you can clone a being, then you would be able to clone its parts. Organ donation would become a thing of the past, you could simply grow another heart of kidney. And the Blood Plasma industry would become nothing more than a manufacturing lab and there would be no more shortages.

I personally have been trying to get into the cartilage regeneration research project as a test case for the last few years. They have been able to harvest the cells from your healthy cartilage and grow them outside the body, then implant them in the affected area. It would be really nice to have a knee again... Without all the plastic and metal appliances :p
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.