main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attention all Lit forumers: JC Lit needs your help

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kadue, Jul 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay, so that was a little dramatic, but I wanted your attention. :D

After talking about this a little, we've decided that we want to bring the Lit forum and TFN Books closer together, and also it's time for a little face-lift. So, we're opening it up to anyone and everyone to submit their designs for banner and side graphics for both the forums here, and for TFN Books.

Once we've gotten submissions, we'll consider them all and choose one to go up on both. We'll most likely have the submissions open up until the end of the month, but we'll post a definate date a little later.

So here are the specs:
    • Main banner image (foreground) - 764 x 110

• Main Background image - 764 x 110

• Curve image - 69 x 67

• Side Bar image - 32 x 465

For the Main Banner Image (foreground), what we'll require is 3 copies. One that just has the images, a second that has the label TheForce.Net Jedi Council Literature and a third with TheForce.Net Books. It's totally up to you how you wish for these labels to be presented.

There is no limit on how many you can submit, and there are no limitations on the image content (keeping it all family friendly and within TFN policies of course). But since it's for the Lit forum and Books page, obviously we would love to see ones full of EU characters.

So, get cracking and let's see what you can all do. :)

TFN Books Staff and JC Lit Moderators.

Edit: Some changes to this have been made, we are only looking for submissions for the Lit forum now. :)

2. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I am looking forward to seeing all of the submissions!

3. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    So kinda a fan art type thing? Something that might be a collage of scanned images or some really good artwork? Sounds like fun to me. If we can do the scanned collage, I'll give a try.

4. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    You can do it however you want Knight. Have a look around at the different TFN banners, and the ones on the JC and FF forums to get ideas of what we put up.

But basically, if we think it looks good, we'll choose it. :)

5. LaraNotsil

LaraNotsil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2000
    I would do it, but I have no expertise in this area...however I just want to say that I really like this idea. It's nice to have the opportunity to decide these things.

And of course I just wanted to say hi to Kadue, if you even remember me...

Looking forward to seeing some submissions!!!

6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I'm not an artist, but I would just like to say that I support this idea. I would definitely like to see some EU characters in the new banners. I would like to see the OT characters too. I've always been a little disappointed that the characters in the banners are all PT characters when many of the books we enjoy reading are about Luke, Leia, Han, Mara, Wedge, Lando, Corran, Kyp, Jacen, Jaina, etc.

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    How about a banner with the words "Jedeye Kownsil Lit Pajes" on it.

8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Ooh, I'll have to submit something...

9. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    We need a picture of Mastadge with a lightsaber for the banner. :D

10. VictorHernandez

VictorHernandez Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    What, do this for free? Do you know how much a design job costs?

Come on people... we designers didn't go through years of design classes just to give it away for free! How much is theforce.net making in revenue?? Geez!

PLUS you guys never bothered to show my "Foro Wars" Flash movie:

http://www.toliro.com/forowars/index.html

11. Han Solo Cup

Mar 11, 2002
    We sure do have a lot of unhappy posters tonight.

12. VictorHernandez

Jul 6, 2002
    From you point of view...

I see it as plain common sense.

13. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Actually TFN makes NOTHING. We are not allowed to make a profit.

14. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Bitterness, thou art afoot. Isn't it enough that the Mods and Admins and the rest of the TF.N staff runs a non-profit message board and attempts to maintain a friendly environment for posters? One would hope so [face_plain].

[hl=black][color=cornflowerblue][b]Jedi_Anakin_Solo[/b][/color][/hl]

15. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Lara!!! How are you girl??!!?? Of course I remember you. Who wouldn't? Decided to finally come back to us? ;)

Victor, yes we are asking for people to do it for free. Everything about the site is free. The hosting, the graphics, signing up, and even those that work for it do it for free. I do not get a single cent for being a manager of the forums. I devote my own time and services for free. If you don't wish to submit something, that's okay, I don't begrudge you anything.

Yes COW, that's one of the other reasons we decided to do this. It would be good to see some EU characters up there. :)

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    No one likes my idea?

17. Han Solo Cup

Mar 11, 2002
    Only if you're in the background with a lightsaber. 8-}

18. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Well, you're welcome to submit one with it Mastage. No guarantees though. ;)

19. VictorHernandez

Jul 6, 2002
    With all due respect, but managing a board doesn't sound like something that requires monetary compensation. I manage about 3 of them elsewhere and it hardly takes me 10 minutes to get the a day's job done.

And please; don't try to sell us that "non-profit" story because it's simply shall we say... not likely.

Lets put it differently: How much is IGN making out of this?

20. VictorHernandez

Jul 6, 2002
    Oops! Duplicate. Server's fault, not mine.

21. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Dude, they're asking a favor and you aren't willing to do it. Let it go. There's no reason to attack the TF.N staff.

[hl=black][color=cornflowerblue][b]Jedi_Anakin_Solo[/b][/color][/hl]

22. Rev_Leidu

Rev_Leidu Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2001
    With all due respect, but managing a board doesn't sound like something that requires monetary compensation. I manage about 3 of them elsewhere and it hardly takes me 10 minutes to get the a day's job done.

You manage 3 boards, huh? Well, do they have over 100 thousand people who are talking at ONE TIME? That's a lot harder to manage than some small three boards, I'll tell you that!

Also, they're asking for help. If you don't want to, fine! Don't and move along. *rolls eyes*

23. Han Solo Cup

Mar 11, 2002
    Amen Rev! Kadue is the man! Just a second ago he was helping me with something that had nothing to do with these forums or this board. Do you do that for your "3 forums" Vic?

24. Rev_Leidu

Rev_Leidu Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2001
    I just get tired of it when people snap at other people because they don't like or don't want to do something. If you don't want to do it, fine! Go away and don't say anything! No one CARES!

25. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay, let's just keep this on the topic please. :)

Victor, if you want to know anything about the boards, including their relationship to IGN, feel free to use the private message system to ask me about it. It's all a matter of public record in the Communications forum, but hard to find there.

So back to banners people. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.