main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

General Attention Please, FF-UK!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Yoshee, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    I've just spent the past hour looking through all of our sub-forums/chapters. I hate to say it, but with regards to FanForce, Scotland, Wales, Midlands and Wales, North, South, they are all dead. You can't even pretend they are active chapters anymore. London isn't faring much better either. I'm sorry, but it's just a horrible fact.

With all of those forums soon to vanish, to be replaced with prefixes on the main FF-UK forum like the MOD one I've been using, you need to bare this in mind....

To get a chapter prefix (for example), like getting a forum, it requires 3 chapter members to request one.... You can see the problem there already.

Also, controversial as this will be, I want to create ONE Chapter for the whole of the South/Southeast AND London. That would mean coming up with easy name that can be used in a prefix. At least until such a time arises when there are enough members to create chapters by area/location. And yes, that would mean losing one of the two CR's here. Luckily, there's enough active members in the whole of the South/SouthEast/London to hold a proper CR election, should it come to it. Don't take this personally CR's. I'm here to manage, and that's what I'm doing :p

Thoughts on that please?

In a nutshell, in my opinion, FF-UK is going to have to get smaller before it gets bigger.....

halibut likes this.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I would rather see small and active than big and empty as it has been for some years now. I swear it was echoing in here every time I posted.

Might be worth checking if Dave (Rebeljediknight_88) still wants to be involved with the Midlands & Wales region since he is still listed as CR for that but only seems to post on the FB group these days. Of course, given the lack of activity there it may well not get a prefix at all and so it won't matter.

Yoshee likes this.
  3. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    Agreed.

This is all part of a three step plan I have to get this place kicking again. But it will require, change, patience and persistence.

I don't expect loads of new posters this year, the new films are still a way off. But I do want it looking used and welcoming at all times.

:)

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I agree totally. I wanted to pretty much merge all the forums into this one, with prefixes for each chapter and this looks like taking that one step further. It's too spread out at the moment with the handful of members we have, so at the risk of sounding like Carol Vorderman, we need to consolidate the chapters into one easy-to-manage board.

Yoshee likes this.
  5. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    What's happening with the North board? I put out some feelers (oh my!) for contacts and we did get some newbies , however it's gone quiet again [face_plain]

6. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    All forums except this one (obviously) have been archived. If there's enough interest, a Prefix will be created for the North. :) It's a shame. I remember it always being quite an active forum :(

7. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Coolio, yeah it's a shame but having all of our peeps at one place is the most sensible answer. Who knows when we get closer to VII things may be different *fingers crossed*

8. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    I'm hoping so! Just taking it a day at a time for now!

9. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Same old problems then :) There are loads of SW fans out there who aren't FF-UKers (sorry old habits). What FF-UK really needs is getting people joining, returning and posting in these few forums for starters. I remember back in '99 when these boards (or TFN at least were the "go to" place to post, interact and get updated on all things SW). The (e)world is a very different place now.

What I'm trying to say is that it's better to have a small gathering in a small room than a small party in a large room.

SithLordDarthRichie and Yoshee like this.
  10. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    How very profound! But true...

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    As I've said in elsewhere, I think it is largely because areas such as the JCC are now the place where most big discussions go on. Back in the day we had a Doctor Who thread here & a football one, but now both are large threads in the JCC which lots of people from across the world post. Frankly I only posted there after this place went dead and I'd rather post here but it's harder when most things I and others want to talk about already have threads on the boards.

It's easier now there is new Star Wars to talk about, I think the best thing to do first of all is ask former members who don't really post anymore (like some of those on the FB group or who lurk around on the boards somewhere) what it would take to get them back here. If we know what would attract people back then we can work on it.

I'm fine with closing most areas here until they are more active, one or two people per city or region is not enough to warrent them all getting a chapter if nothing is going to happen there. Once activity starts up it will be easier to create new prefixes and so on, the key is getting more members posting.

12. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    It might be an idea to also point new Brits on TFN to FFUK. That may mean us keeping an eye out on the JC and inviting/reminding them of this place too.

13. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    On the subject of TFN, I must get someone to update the home page. It's well past it's sell by date!

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think Dajuan can update on TFN Main.

15. Yoshee

Aug 3, 2002
    Excellent. Thanks, I shall get in touch!

EDIT// Definitely getting in touch. I just went to see where the links on main page go, and the one that leads here doesn't even work. No wonder we don't get any traffic!

Darth_Asabrush likes this.