main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ATTN: Continuity-Hounds] EU Continuity AU Fan-fic Thingy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thrawn McEwok, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6-6-6

6-6-6 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2002
    The statement about the unknown regions covering 15% of the galaxy could have been grossly misinterpreted, and the unknown regions could extend over 50-75%.

First, when that statement was made, they might have included every star that they have a location and/or name for in the known regions. So, they wouldn't actually have to have flown to those stars and planets and established colonies or listening posts, but simply have looked up at the sky with a telescope and marked down where all those stars in the unknown regions are in relationship to the rest of the galaxy. Doing this would give the people in the NR and Empire a good idea of how to safely travel into the unknown regions, it would not tell them where wandering planets, large empires of blue-skinned people, or hideouts for baddies are. The remaining 15% could include the planets and stars which they are not able to see from the known regions.

The unknown regions might also refer to only a small section of the total unexplored and unseen space at the far edge of the galaxy, plus the space where the Chiss have forbidden them from going. Parts of the unknown regions could have been considered to be part of Wild Space or the Outer Rim, or might not have even been considered part of the galaxy because it is too far above or below the galactic plane, or in a minor sattelite galaxy (which, thanks to AotC, we know the GFFA have at least a few of)

Also, the area mapped by Thrawn and the Empire, and the areas which Luke and Mara found out about in HoT might not have been included because they were relatively well explored for a frontier region. All the area between Bakura and the Ssi-Ruuvi star cluster could also have been discounted, since Rebel and NR ships have flown through there, and the are around the Ssi-Ruuk could also have been discounted because of a relatively good knowledge of that area.

With a bit of prodding here and some stretching there, the Unknown Regions are back to covering half of the galaxy, not just 15%

2. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    I've been bothered by the lack of Imperial/Chiss presesnce in the Unknown Regions. I distinctly remember that if the 250+ sectors that were nominally controlled by a detatched portion of the Empire had been turned over to the Empire proper, it very well could have cost the New Republic the war, or at least breathed new life into a defeated opponent. If these sectors weren't immediately useful militarily, why would it have mattered at all? It would just be more territory that the New Republic could have quickly and easily snatched from the Empire.

3. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Well, snatching 250+ sectors (that's the low end estimate) in a remote area of the galaxy, which are heavily armed and well lead from Imperial hands by the New Republic would be no easy task. It could quite be the NR's Vietnam/Stalingrad as Parck's/Fel's/Pellaeon's combined commands destroy Ackbar and rest of Republic military in bloodly battle, leaving very weakened survivors for the Vong.
    Not a very good probability.

4. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    You see, that's part of my point. If it were even, let's say, one third as militarized as the Empire proper, it would ammount to a sizable force of great strategic import in the war against the Yuuzhan Vong.

However, it seems to have swept under the proverbial carpet by the NJO authors, as if it never existed.

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    You noticed?

There was a throaway line in Dark Journey that might have been taken to suggest that the UR Moffs had the conveniently stereotyped self-interest of Moffs everywhere...

Given that this was Thrawn's Empire, and people like Krennel got kicked out, I find that quite hard...

- The Imperial Ewok

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    UR Moffs? I thought hey were taklking about the Moffs from Pellaeon's Empire.

7. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Trias: I suspect they were. But you can just force it to mean Moffs in the UR, I think. The only concievable alternative... beyond a major continuity howler, or a blood-chilling threat that Zahn will deal with in his duology undoing all Thrawn's work... is that Soontir Fel is keeping potentially the most powerful state in the GFFA in his back pocket and just not telling anyone...

:D

I wouldn't really mind that, though. I'm just expecting some sort of closure...

- The Imperial Ewok

8. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    Luke: "Hey, General Fel, how's it going?"
    Soontir Fel: "Oh, you know, same old, same old. What's up"
    Luke: "Not much. Well, we were attacked by this huge, nearly unbeatable force of alien invaders from another galaxy, but it ain't no thang."
    Soontir Fel: "Cool. How's that working out for ya?"
    Luke: "It kinda sucks actually."
    Soontir Fel: "Say, would you by any chance need help from those 250 sectors that Thrawn put ADM. Parc and me in charge of, would you?"
    Luke: "Nah, its cool."
    Soontir Fel: "Great, I was afraid you'd get 'em all messed up. Well, take 'er easy!"

9. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Quite...

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.