main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx ATTN Graphic Artists: FanForce Logo Competition

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    This was passed down earlier today from the Grand High Muckety-mucks:

We would like to officially announce an official Fanforce logo competition. At this moment this is to be used for generic Fanforce t-shirts, but could be used [by Fan Force as a whole] in the future for anything from sites to boards to anything else we decide to put out. [Your work will be seen by people across the globe.]

Dates: February 1 ? February 29

Rules:

1. No Star Wars images, logos or text.
    2. All work submitted must be your own, not published anywhere else
    3. You may not ?borrow? ideas from anywhere else and change them to make your own ? all entries are to be entirely your own intellectual property.
    4. Any entries submitted before the competition opens or after the competition closes will not be accepted.
    5. Anyone of RSA status or above is not eligible to enter. CRs ARE allowed.
    6. Only people who are members of Fanforce chapters are eligible to enter. This may be either an official or unofficial chapter, but you must be a member of a chapter in order to enter, and we will be background checking.

Submissions: Please post all submissions in the official Logo Competition Thread in the Fanforce Communications forum.

General Information: What shall the prize be? A free t-shirt when they?re all made and a title of 'Fanforce logo artist' on the boards.

T-shirt production: At the moment nothing has been decided about the production of any t-shirts, and therefore it's also not possible to give any cost estimates. If you know of somebody who can produce nice quality t-shirts to a reasonable price, and that ships worldwide, please contact your RSA.

A nice thing would also be to make a design that allowed for leaving a space on the chest where you can print your screen name when you get the t-shirt.

Who is judging the competition?: The Fanforce RSAs, GSAs and Joshua Griffin.

Good Luck :)

2. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    A Fanforce logo competition without anything Star Wars? ?[face_plain]

Is this because of copyright issues or what? Seems odd to me.

3. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    2 points for Chewie. Since Fan Force is not officially sponsored by Lucas we're technically not supposed to use his IP. Individual Fan Force chapters can usually fly under the radar, but Fan Force as a whole would probably draw some flak.

4. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    Has anyone asked the Flanneled One or say his attorneys? I'm just curious.

5. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I believe there was some talk about directing some of the Intellectual Property questions directly to Mr. Steve Sansweet.

This is trying to keep it as simple for FF and avoid any "unpleasant Imperial intervention."

It is possible to do some kind of FF shirt without an actual SW image on it. :) I'm sure someone here is capable of coming up with a design or 3. ;)

6. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    well, can we at least use the title "star wars?" otherwise it'd be like t-shirts that just say "fan force". but a fan force for what? trek?

7. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    checking....

...for now, I would guess that it should be OK.......

8. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    We'll be getting some confirmation soon...

9. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    This straight from Obi Anne, one of the Fan Force GSAs: "As I understand it it's ok to use elements of the logo, like the fonts, but it's not ok to use [the title] Star Wars."

10. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    So just how does one depict a SW fan club without anything Star Wars related?

11. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    That's what I'm saying! ?[face_plain]

12. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
  13. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Oh for crying out loud! God forbid we do anything star wars related in the fan forces! Doesn't Lucas know we buy enough of his crap to practically have partial ownership of a freakin' title! ****!

14. Toasty_McGrath

Toasty_McGrath Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2004
    Yeah really. I'd probably own half of LucasArts if they added it all up.

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I think that it is possible to skirt the issue. Kinda like how Parksabers is allowed to make lightsabers and sell them for profit, because they are not identical to any specific saber from the movies. In the same way, a sillouette of a person holding a saber (like the JBS Shirts), while conveying a SW feel, does not show any specific LFL property.

It's a grey issue, but I think if a little creative license is uesd, the shirt can come out well. I'd also recommend doing 2 versions of the same design: 1 without the name "Star Wars", and one with the name on it. When we finally get the best designs chosen, we'll send them to Steve Sansweet for permission.

I hope this helps clarify...

16. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Cool beans. :)

17. Darth_Rinku

Darth_Rinku Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2003
    This sounds like a big pain in the arse, if you ask me. I hate dealing with legal issues, but I hope this still comes out with some great designs.

18. aero-

aero- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2002
    does sound like a whole mess o' fun, though ;]

19. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    It's not that much different than when we made the banner, really. I can forsee several good designs coming out of this. :)

20. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Oh boy! and it is gaming night tonight, I can sit a doodle for hours...

21. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    There's been a slight change on the voting. The FF Mods will select probably three finalists and then let all of Fan Force choose the winner from among those choices.

22. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of designs you can come up with. :)

23. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Bump.

People are submitting their designs in This Thread in FF Communications.

Please post any designs in there. I'd like to see Phoenix have a better showing than the Canadians, if possible. ;)

Good luck, and I can't wait to see what you can do. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.