ATTN: New User Registration & Password Recovery Issues

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Katya Jade, Aug 29, 2011.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    As most of you know, the TFN boards were down for an extended period of time on 8/26. IGN is undergoing some major server modifications right now and apparently moved all of their forums to new servers. While they were instantly able to point their own sites to the new server IPs, they couldn't for us because TFN controls the DNS for TheForce.net. We were notified that we needed to point boards.theforce.net to a new IP, which was completed very shortly after we understood the problem.

However, it has come to our attention that after the board downtime, new users have been registering but not posting in the forums. We believe that this is a mail server issue and that because of the change of IP, the mail server is either not receiving emails and/or unable to send them. Unfortunately, the Administrators here have no way to access user passwords. Therefore, new users will not be able to post until either IGN can repair this problem or, we hope, it fixes itself in a few days.

This is also a reminder to current users not to forget your password as there is no way to request a new one via email.

I will be emailing all new users to notify them of this issue.
  2. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Personal E-mails to all of the new registered users?:eek:

What are you going to do with the other 23 hours and 55 minutes of your day, Katey? :p

No seriously, did many new people register in that time period?
  3. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    The noob shield has worked perfectly I see.[face_skull]
  4. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    Having mine tattooed on the back of my neck this morning.

Thanks!
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    We've had 23 new users register since Aug 25. None have posted. One of those is a sock of Grimby's that he used to see if he got an email. In the past when we've had mail server issues the fact that new users haven't posted has usually been a sign of a problem. Also a user posted over in the Tech thread that notification mails weren't coming through.
    There's nothing we admins can do on this issue other than let IGN know about it, and Grimby has done that. They have problems on their own boards from the move and that is their priority at this point.
  6. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Right. I am, however, going to be a bit persistent on getting help on this because it does us no good to have people not being able to register and post here.
  7. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    After more correspondence with IGN today, it is safe to assume the email issues will NOT be fixed. IGN has abandoned support for their own forums, and are focusing all of their resources on upgrading to a new board system. We have been told that our issue will be passed on, but we are not optimistic that it will be resolved.
  8. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    With that news it has to be a major factor for a huge push to move on for us. I'm not sure if Phillip gets a kick back on the advertising or not but less people on line here equals less money coming in.

edit: I'm running an ad blocker but I just realized there aren't ads anymore are there?
  9. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Philip is aware of this issue and the fact that we would like to move ASAP. Let's hope this means our move will be a high priority.
  10. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    The ad server died years ago (which I think is what let us use the wonderful google search box). Not sure if the plan is for there to be a return when we move, though there are ads on the test board.
  11. geno Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Shame that IGN has decided to abandon their current forum software in regards to tech support before they worked any issues out with the new but be that as it may, thanks for the heads up on the issue and hopefully you find some means of solving the issue
  12. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    who will make KOTOR threads in games forum without teh n00bs?
  13. Daft-Vader Force Ghost

star 8
    If we can't get new users in surely we are going to have to move now otherwise this place is going to stagnate and die...?

Activity generally has decreased, and without new users, whats going to happen?
  14. darthlebowski72 Force Ghost

star 5
    Looks like we have no choice but to move. No way to grow, no way to advertise. No way for oldbies who havent logged on in a while to retreive their passwords. Any newbs who want to join are going to be immediately turned off. This is awful service we're getting.
  15. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    No, no, on your forearm. Geez, have you not done this before?

Anyway, this is pretty interesting news. As others have said, this definitely adds to the motivating factors for getting the move done ASAP. And on that note, thanks again to all of you who have been working on the move.
  16. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    Just in time for the Blu-Ray releases.
  17. Daft-Vader Force Ghost

star 8
  18. -Remi- Force Ghost

star 4
    I need to go to the comms more often. doh!:oops:
  19. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    Just so you guys are aware, this issue apparently also affects the active topic notification system, which hasn't worked for me since the "pizza run". I can subscribe to a thread, but I get no emails when new posts are made.
  20. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Yeah, mail notifications for PMs, threads, etc use the same mail server so they are affected.
  21. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Well, to be fair, they asked us to move on about a year and a half ago. Phil Wise is that annoying dude on the couch who just. wont. leave. :p
  22. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    o_O !

Is this an issue IGN will try to resolve, or will it be this way indefinitely until we move?
  23. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Unless we get lucky and the email system starts working again, its not going to get fixed. Believe me, we know how much that sucks.
  24. Daft-Vader Force Ghost

star 8
    Can someone give whoever is transferring a kick to get going even faster now then...?

[face_whistling]

Without New Users the forum will die... :/
  25. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Can we delete WNU now? :)
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza