main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Attracting readers? How? I could really use some help!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briman, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briman

Briman Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2004
    How is the most effective way to attract readers to your stories? Although I've only been a member here for almost a week, I can't seem to attract any attention to any of the stories I've posted. Anyone have any ideas? I mean, I look around and their are stories with over a thousand replies and stuff like that and my stories are just dropping down the pages on the beyond the saga section, what should I do and how should I do it?

I could really use some help.

2. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    By showing interest in their stories, participating in contests.

That is what i've been told :p

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    First off, welcome to the community! It's always nice to see new faces.

There is a thread somewhere on the board here about attracting readers, chock full of good advice.

Might I suggest you look at some of the threads here in the resource forum, especially those which deal with your characters.

Also, adopt a newbi,
    and a few other threads...

Click here See what people have suggested in this thread too!

Once again, welcome to the boards!

4. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    The best way is to read other people's stories and get to know them. Once they know who you are, they're more likely to post in your stories. Also, put the link to your story in your signature and bio. And if you haven't already, put the names of the main characters/timeframe/genre of the story in your title, some people will read a story because of those things. I know how hard getting readers can be, hang in there! They'll come eventually :)

5. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    My advice, get involved. Reading other writer's stories and leaving feedback is a great way to build up your own reader base. Show people that you'r interested in what they're writing, and they'll do the same for you.

Be patient--there are a lot of fics on these boards and it just isn't possible for people to read every one of them.

Also, join some of the discussions--let your opinions be known and heard. Everyone on the fanfic boards is extremely nice and helpful--take advantage of that.

Don't get discouraged by lack of feedback--I guarantee you that even if you aren't getting responses to your stories, you are getting readers.

There is also a thread where you can advertise your story by posting a trailer. Go here: Fanfic trailers

Note~Check your other threads--people have left you some good advice.

6. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Hi,

I'm just repeating what others have already said, I think, but here are some things you could try:

First, read other people's stories and leave feedback.

Also, look for threads here on the resource board that interest you. There are a lot of threads for main characters in SW. If you have some favorites, join in the discussions. There are also age-related support threads, like for teen-age writers, writers in the twenties, and the over-30 group. They're a great way to meet people.

Maybe participate in some of the writing challenges going on. I know there's a writing challenge in the Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader thread, and I think I've seen some more, too. The challenge responses are usually listed together on a thread, and lots of people read them. Some people might read yours and then decide to check out your stories.

I can't remember if you had links to your stories in your sig, but if you don't, add them and maybe a brief description--like "Skywalker family AU" or "Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon, JA era", something like that so people who are interested in those characters might check it out.

Good luck, and be patient. It can take time to build a following. :)

Kristeh

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    There are lots of threads to discuss this. The best idea is to participate not only hear in the Resource area, but also to read and respond to other stories you like.

Since this thread duplicates other threads, including this more recent one, am going to lock it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.