main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends AU - Star Wars: The New Sith Order - Update 10/05 - Chapter 19

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by gaarastar58, Jan 26, 2016.

1. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Tagging Jedi_Perigrine

Chapter 9

The dull whine of a heavy blaster bolt zipped over Ben Kenobi’s shoulder. He dived forward to avoid a second bolt, hit the ground hard and rolled behind cover. Out the corner of his eyes he saw a clutch of white-clad stormtroopers at the entrance to the narrow alley he had, brilliantly, decided to use as an escape route. He looked around the enclosed space. Rubbish and scrap were piled up against the smog-stained walls and steam hissed from a grille above his head. He hunkered down behind a defunct gonk droid, feeling the impact of blaster fire slam into the thick chassis.

It seemed he had outstayed his welcome on Fondor.

A grenade clanked to the ground beside him. Scooping it up with the Force Ben hurled it back towards the stormtroopers. They scattered as the grenade detonated, flooding the mouth of the alley with smoke and cries of pain as troopers who didn’t react fast enough were caught in the blast.

Ben used the distraction to his advantage, gathering himself for a terrific leap. He landed on top of a flat roof several metres above street level, his boots sinking into the layer of dust that had gathered there. He took off at a run, leaping between the gaps in buildings. A few stray blaster bolts tracked him but they come nowhere close to finding their target.

Overhead he heard the roar of a patrol transport. He dropped onto the street just as the vehicle zipped past. Similar to the gunships used by Coruscant police forces the ship had extended solar foils and powerful sensors which it used guide ground forces towards their prey. Ben dropped to his hands and knees, breathing heavily. Tramping around the Jundland wastes had kept him fit but his forty-nine years were weighing him down. His limbs felt stiff and his back was sore. He grimaced, rubbing at his shoulder, and his hand twitched towards the lightsaber clipped to his belt which he’d so far managed to avoid using.

He hefted the weapon, enjoying the familiar weight in his hand and the sensation of cool metal against his sweaty palm. He heard the clatter of boots nearby as stormtroopers closed in on his position. Taking a deep breath he closed his eyes and allowed the Force to flow through him. With a snap-hiss the blue white blade came to life and neatly blocked the pair of blaster bolts that flashed towards him. The fight was over quickly. Those who didn’t fall to the deflected blaster bolts were carved apart by the shimmering blade.

For a moment Ben stood amongst the bodies of the fallen stormtroopers. He thought about the men he had killed. Were they evil because they served the Emperor? More likely they had simply been men struggling to exist in an imperfect universe, men following orders that had gotten them killed. Men who would not be returning home to their families. He shut off the lightsaber and hurried off down the street.

*​

The patrol ships hovered above the city, their powerful searchlights combing the dimly lit streets. Ben kept to the shadows as much as possible. He’d stuck to the more populated areas of the city, hoping to throw off the patrol ships’ thermal imaging sensors by blending into the crowds, but now that dusk was falling and the streets were emptying he was running out of places to hide.

He stopped on a street corner to catch his breath. His ribs and back feet ached. His breath felt metallic in his mouth, the stench of his own fatigue palpable on his tongue. He couldn’t keep up this pace. The beam of a searchlight swept the street. In it he saw clusters of the pale-skinned Fondorians huddling away from the dust kicked up by the patrol ship’s repulsor jets. He edged back, pulling the hood of his robe over his face to protect his face. Out the corner of his eye he spotted a poster on a wall with his own face staring back at him. It must have been taken from archival pictures because in it he still wore Jedi robes and had been artificially aged to account for a decade of exile. Ben stroked his coarse beard. It wasn’t quite a perfect likeness and didn’t take into account what ten years of living under the Tatooine sun had done to his skin but it was close enough. The bounty on him was more than enough to set someone up for life on a mid-rim world.

He took off at a brisk walk down the street. His best bet was to locate a building with a heat source such as bakers or droid repair shop where he could hide to disguise his body heat from the Imperials’ sensors. He was crossing the street at a crossroads when a brilliant light snapped on, blinding him for a moment.

‘Kiss the ground Jedi,’ boomed a voice from a loudspeaker.

Raising a hand to shield his eyes Ben saw the angular shape of a patrol ship hovering above him. Lines of stormtroopers appeared on each street and surrounded him. Ben stood alone, caught in the beam of the searchlight, his brown robe billowing. With a crackle his lightsaber was out and ignited but even a Jedi master couldn’t defend against this many adversaries. He considered shutting his lightsaber off. He had taken enough lives today, was there really any need for more bloodshed?

No. The Imperials wanted him alive. They would drag him before Vader and Vader would torture him until he gave up everything he knew about Bail’s resistance efforts and, worse, until he gave up the secret of Leia’s identity. He couldn’t let that happen. He would have to force the Imperial’s to kill him here and now.

A streak of light flashed up from the roof of a building to his left and the patrol ship exploded. The force of the blast knocked Ben to the permacrete. Shrapnel pinged off the ground and there was a secondary explosion as the burning hulk hit the ground, instantly obliterating the formation of stormtroopers that had been underneath it. The remaining soldiers looked up in confusion as blaster fire began to pour down into their ranks from buildings around the crossroads.

Getting unsteadily to his feet Ben saw a figure leap towards the second patrol ship and it took a moment for his explosion-fugged brain to recognise that the figure was holding a lightsaber.

A blaster bolt shot towards him but his own weapon was already in his hand, sweeping up to deflect the energy harmlessly aside. The Force worked through him, guiding his actions to deflect more shots that tracked in his direction but it was obvious that the stormtroopers were at a huge disadvantage. Caught in crossfire with relatively no cover it wasn’t long before they were cut down. Ben glanced up in time to see the lightsaber-wielding rebel slash through the fuselage of the patrol ship, cutting off power to its engines. The ship groaned as it tumbled out of the sky and the figure waited until the last second to leap away, back-flipping to land neatly next to Ben.

Like him the figure was hooded and robed in brown and, even though he didn’t know the twin silver blades she had in her hands, he recognised the fighting style. He just wasn’t sure he believed what he was seeing. The rebel lowered her hood and he found himself staring into a familiar pair of blue eyes.

‘Ahsoka?’

‘Master Kenobi!’ the young woman threw her arms around him. He gasped with surprise and then with joy as he hugged her back.

‘I can’t believe it,’ he said when they pulled away from each other. ‘I never thought I’d see you again.’

‘Me either. I always assumed you’d been killed on Utapau. I’m glad I was wrong.’

He looked at the pair of elegantly curved lightsabers. ‘I see your Jedi training is still of some use to you.’

‘It comes in handy. I guess I wasn’t as finished with the Jedi as I thought I was,’ she said with a laugh. She threw a look over her shoulder. Men and women wearing Fondorian clothing were exiting the buildings and taking weapons and ammunition from the dead stormtroopers. ‘The Imperials will be showing up soon with reinforcements and I’d rather not be around for that. I’ve got a ship nearby. You tagging along?’

Ben looked around at the burning wreckage of the two crashed gunships and the tangled bodies of stormtroopers. ‘You bet.’

*​

Ahsoka took her ship, the Grey Pilgrim, out of Fondor hard, blasting for deep space before the local patrol cruisers had a chance to give chase. Clearly her piloting lessons from Anakin were still serving her well. Ben watched her work the instruments, calculating a hyperspace jump. When he had last seen her she was little more than a girl, an impetuous teenager who had exasperated him almost as much as her master. The woman he saw now seemed more self-assured than Ahsoka had been as a Padawan. He could see it in the confident way she carried herself but also through her imprint in the force.

Calculations finished, Ahsoka pulled back on the hyperdrive levers. The stars outside changed to star-lines and Ben felt the ship jolt as it transitioned to the mottled sky of hyperspace. He leaned back in his seat with a sigh. Now that they were safe all the aches and pains of his pursuit were returning with renewed spirit. Ahsoka glanced over at him.

‘You alright?’

‘Tired,’ he said.

‘There’s a cot in the starboard crew quarters.’

‘That sounds good, but first I’d like to hear how you survived Order 66.’

She cocked an eye at him. ‘You worried that I fell to the dark side?’

‘I didn’t mean that to sound like an accusation…’

‘No, it’s alright. You should be concerned.’ She dropped her gaze. ‘A lot of Jedi survivors have fallen under the Emperor’s power.’

‘I know. I encountered Jinx on Corellia. He was an agent for the Inquisitorius.’

‘He was always such a cynic. I remember when we were trapped on Wasskah together he had all but given up hope. Still, I wouldn’t have made it out if it hadn’t been for him.’ She looked up at Ben. ‘That’s the hardest thing about fighting an inquisitor. It’s like staring into a twisted mirror of what I could’ve become.’

‘But you haven’t fallen.’

‘Nope. I might have done a few things Master Yoda would’ve frowned on though. I guess I got that trait from my master. I wasn’t a priority target for the Empire because I wasn’t a Jedi anymore but I still had to leave the core worlds behind. Senator Organa helped me. He took me in and gave me a place to live, helped me evade the Emperor and Vader.’

‘And then you became leader of the resistance?’

Ahsoka gave a derisive snort. ‘I’m leader of a small faction. Senator Organa knew he was being closely watched by the Empire and he needed someone to work for him behind the scenes, someone he could trust. My code name is Fulcrum.’

‘How appropriate.’

‘I kind of like it. The trouble is there’s no centralised rebellion. I’ll say one thing for ISB: they’re efficient. Everything has to be done in tight-knit independent cells. But that means we can’t have a big impact. A lot of people oppose the Empire, they just don’t like to cooperate with each other much either.’

‘What about other Jedi survivors?’

Ahsoka shot him a sidelong look. ‘The Emperor made a pretty clean sweep of them. There’s still a handful left but they’re scattered across the galaxy.’

‘Perhaps it’s time to change that.’

‘Why now?’

Ben gazed out of the cockpit viewport at the swirling blue vortex of hyperspace. Why now? Why not twelve years ago when he could have made a difference? He heard Jinx’s words in the back of his mind.

You abandoned us.

‘I was protecting someone. Someone important.’

‘Who?’

‘Anakin’s son.’

He felt the shock that rippled through her, but she remained outwardly composed, only a slight twitching of her head tails indicating any tension. ‘Senator Amidala was the mother, wasn’t she?’

‘They were secretly married.’

‘I knew they were close. I was so sad when I heard that she had died. She was always so kind to me.’ She glanced at Ben. ‘Were you training him?’

‘No. I wanted him to have a childhood. Maybe the one that Anakin never had.’

Ahsoka nodded her understanding. ‘So what changed?’

‘The Empire took him. They were hunting down Force-sensitive children to be trained as inquisitors. I contacted Senator Organa hoping to find out if he had any information on the whereabouts of their training facilities, anything that could lead me to Luke.’

‘The location of the Inquisitorius is classified above top secret,’ said Ahsoka. ‘Besides, what were you going to do, storm in there alone?’

Ben shrugged. ‘If I had to.’

‘You struggled with a bunch of stormtroopers back on Fondor,’ she pointed out.

‘Well, maybe I didn’t think it through.’

‘I wonder what Anakin would say if he could see you now. You’ve become very…’

‘Reckless?’

‘Gung-ho.’ Ahsoka chuckled. ‘I still feel like he’s with me sometimes, watching over me, guiding me. It’s sad that he never knew his son, I think he would’ve made a good father.’

Ben stared at his knees, wrapping his mind up tightly so she wouldn’t sense the tempest of emotion within him. Apart from himself and Padmé, nobody had been closer to Anakin than Ahsoka. To him she had been part student, part friend and part surrogate sister. When she talked about Anakin he felt only warmth and love emanating from her. Should he take that away from her by revealing Vader’s true identity? No Anakin was dead. He died on Mustafar.

‘I’m sorry Master Kenobi, I didn’t mean to upset you.’

‘Nobody has called me that for a long time. I’m just plain old Ben now. You didn’t upset me. To tell you the truth I think about Anakin a great deal.’

Reaching into his robe he withdrew a small bundle which he carefully unwrapped and showed to her. ‘Anakin’s Padawan braid. I kept it after he was made a Jedi Knight. It helps me remember him as he was when he was a boy. He was always so full of energy and spirit. He was a great companion, even though he could be a rascal. I’m certain it was training him that turned me grey before my time.’

Ahsoka smiled. ‘I’ve heard the stories. Is it true you chased after him with an old pair of jet-wings when he entered an illegal garbage pit race?’

‘He was twelve at the time, and that wasn’t even the worst mess he got me into,’ said Ben with a smile. He glanced down at the hyperspace coordinates that Ahsoka had programmed in.

‘Dantooine?’

Ahsoka grinned. ‘You said you wanted to meet more Jedi survivors. Well, you’re about to get your chance.’

2. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeee, Ahsoka! She's quickly becoming one of my favorite Jedi. Or semi-Jedi. Or something. Anyway, you nailed her personality in this post, and the action was well described and well done. There's more Jedi, too, on Dantooine no less. A nod to Knights of the Old Republic? :) That's gotta be a good sign.

Great job! I can't wait to see what happens next!

AzureAngel2 and gaarastar58 like this.
  3. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    Brace yourself for more Ahsoka :) KOTOR is far and away my favourite SW game, and there's some more game-related stuff coming up too. Just finished writing the final chapter of the book and things are heading for a pretty explosive end! Glad you thought I got Ahsoka right, she is one of the best things to come out of TCW. So glad she got some development in Rebels.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    I have to agree with you about KoTOR. I can't even play it anymore because I can quote the whole thing. Almost as bad as the movies.

I've just started goofing around with Ahsoka myself. ...wait, that sounds wrong. But anyway, it's awesome that you'll bring us more of her! I'm looking forward to the next update!

5. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    Tagging Jedi_Perigrine

Chapter 10

The headquarters of the Imperial Security Bureau was a utilitarian structure, without any of the elaborate façade which adorned many of the buildings in Galactic City’s Senate district. The gunmetal exterior was plated with the armour from the hulls of capital ships. Not only did this make the structure virtually impregnable, but like the bulk of an Imperial star destroyer it was synonymous with the Empire’s strength.

Darth Vader strode through the foyer, his boots clanking on the bare floor. A pair of shock troopers saluted to him as he stepped into a turbolift. After scouring the outer rim for several months he had finally come across a solid lead on Kenobi’s whereabouts on Fondor, only to be recalled to Coruscant. He had no idea what had happened to drag him back from such a vital mission but whatever it was had to be important.

He stepped into a briefing room. A large square table lined with high-backed chairs dominated the room. Seated at the head of the table in a clear demonstration of power, Moff Tarkin inclined his head to Vader but did not rise.

‘Lord Vader. So good of you to join us.’

‘You may dispense with the pleasantries Tarkin. Why have I been recalled to Coruscant?’

A smile crept onto Tarkin’s gaunt face. ‘The Emperor requested your presence.’

Inwardly Vader seethed. Tarkin had always been one of Palpatine’s favourites. It was not his firm grasp of military strategy that made him so dangerous, but his political machinations. The man’s naked ambition had propelled him to the pinnacle of the Empire’s hierarchy, to a place that Tarkin arrogantly considered superior to Vader. He reminded the Sith Lord of an Eriadu snow leopard, a predator of the high mountains which commanded huge tracts of land, slaughtering all other rivals that strayed into its territory.

Also seated at the table was Tarkin’s personal aide Siward Cass, Captain Motti and Colonel Yularen of the ISB. Vader surveyed the gathering in silence, his arms crossed over the blinking panel of lights in his chest.

‘Col. Yularen has some disturbing news,’ said Tarkin.

Yularen got to his feet. His ISB uniform was spotless white. Unlike other high-ranking Imperials, who followed Palpatine out of fear or self-infatuated hunger for power, Yularen was a true patriot. He believed in the Empire and he was loyal to its ideals of order and prosperity. Vader had always respected the man’s convictions.

The colonel tapped a panel and an image of Palpatine’s most ambitious enterprise appeared. The Expeditionary Battle Planetoid, known affectionately to the few Imperial officials aware of it as the Death Star. The massive station was still under construction. Great gaping wounds could be seen in its spherical outer shell. The project had been delayed by lack of slave labour, scientific setbacks and a dozen other difficulties but the Emperor was determined to see the project through to completion. Like Tarkin he believed intimidation remained the most potent tool in the Imperial arsenal. Blind fools. The ability to destroy a planet was insignificant when compared to the power of the Force.

‘It has come to our attention that a targeted security breach has succeeded in stealing the plans for the Death Star. It is thought that a small infiltration team was able to board the station and access classified files, including construction timetables and technical data on the station’s primary weapon. The infiltration team was apprehended but they managed to beam a transmission to a nearby ship.’

A holoimage of a small ship appeared above the table. It was pursued by a dozen tie fighters but managed to make a jump into deep space. Vader placed both hands on the table and leaned in, studying the ship as the footage replayed.

‘That is a Corellian A-class bulk freighter.’

‘Yes my lord. We identified it as the Morning Wroshyr, a smuggling vessel. We caught up with the ship and interrogated the crew but the plans were not aboard. We believe the beam transmission to have been a feint, to distract us from a breach in our security which allowed information to be remotely accessed.’

‘I thought that wasn’t possible.’

‘It is impossible for an external network to access our encrypted files. This was an attack within our own system, which is why it went undetected. The breach required the use of classified Imperial codes.’

‘So these rebels had inside help.’

Yularen nodded and brought up the image of a middle-aged man wearing an Imperial uniform. ‘Moff Kalast. Governor of the Atzerri region. We’ve had our eye on him for some time, believing him to be a rebel sympathiser. Sources point to him having masterminded the operation.’

Vader stared at the holoimage. He had met Kalast of course, but the man had left very little impression on him. The man had a weak chin and a receding hairline. His military record was poor. He had got to where he was on the back of his wealth and political connections.

Now it was Tarkin’s turn to speak. ‘The Emperor has made recovering the plans a top priority for the ISB. If we allow any of the numerous rebel factions to acquire the plans it could be disastrous. On the other hand, if we allow Kalast to believe he has succeeded we can draw out his confederates and eliminate them.’

Vader nodded. ‘We can use his betrayal to lure Kenobi out of hiding.’

Tarkin steepled his fingers and leaned back in his chair. ‘The Emperor also suggested that this would be an excellent opportunity to train some of our new inquisitorial candidates. As well as drawing out the rebels, we can plan the assassination of Moff Kalast.’

There was a flicker of movement from Col. Yularen at this statement but when Tarkin glanced in his direction the man was motionless, his face wearing an expression of complete detachment.

Vader opened himself to the Force, trying to discern the intention behind the Emperor’s plans. He was sure this was more than a ploy to draw out Kenobi and the rebels; it was designed to draw him out as well. Somehow Palpatine intended to use Luke against him. Vader cursed himself. He had never been adept at this kind of subtle strategy.

‘I find it hard to believe the Emperor would take such a risk. We should move against Kalast at once.’

‘Moff Kalast sympathises with the rebels but at his core he cares only for himself. He will not simply give the plans away. He will sell them to the highest bidder. An arrangement of that magnitude takes time and organisation. We also have an asset close to Kalast, reporting his every move. When he makes an attempt to deliver the plans we will have plenty of time to put our own operation into motion. We will crush Kalast and the rebels with one swift stroke.’

Vader suppressed a retort. It would be unwise to go against the Emperor. The only thing he could do was wait for Palpatine to make his move and hopefully outwit him at his own game. He looked down at Tarkin, thinking about how much he would like to crush the man’s skull between his hands.

‘Very well,’ he said aloud. ‘I will prepare our forces to strike at Kalast as soon as he makes contact with the rebels.’

‘Very good Lord Vader. That will be all,’ said Tarkin in a dismissive tone.

Vader took a step towards the skeletal officer. How dare he presume to dictate to a Dark Lord of the Sith? He stopped himself. He had to be smarter than Tarkin. Without even acknowledging the insult he turned and walked out of the briefing room, clenching and unclenching his fists. Tarkin needed to be careful. He was too close to Palpatine, close enough that when he was eventually toppled, Tarkin would fall with him. Vader looked forward to that day.

*​

Colonel Yularen sat in his chair studying the revolving image of Moff Kalast. Tarkin and Cass had left with Motti trailing behind them like a faithful pet. The brazen callousness of the man irked Yularen. For many years he had supported the Empire because he believed in the stability it could bring to the chaotic galaxy. He wasn’t fond of the casual cruelty that men such as Tarkin embodied.

And then there was Vader. Yularen hadn’t risen to the position he now occupied within the ISB without learning some dirty secrets. He was well aware of Vader’s identity as former Jedi Anakin Skywalker. During the Clone Wars he and Skywalker had carried out dozens of missions together and developed a mutual respect. Despite the fear he engendered, Vader was a skilled tactician and commanded the loyalty of the fleet, loyalty that the Emperor needed in order to maintain the Imperial forces. In many ways the Palpatine was the spirit of the Empire, while Vader was its physical presence. Neither could exist without the other, and Yularen doubted the galaxy could survive a conflict between the two Sith Lords.

He stroked his grey moustache, lost in thought. One thing was obvious. At some point soon there was going to be a confrontation and he needed to decide which side to throw his support behind. Which side would serve him best and, more importantly, which side would best serve the galaxy?

Reaching towards the table he tapped a control. ‘Lt. Agathon?’

‘Yes sir?’ The voice of his aide was crisp and alert.

‘I want you to establish an encrypted channel to the star destroyer Admonitor. There is to be no record of this transmission.’

Agathon acknowledged and began to make the necessary preparations. Yularen rested his head against the chair, hoping that he was about to make the right decision. If he didn’t, the repercussions would echo across the stars for decades to come.

6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Harsh training for young ones, hide-and-seek games the remaining Jedi use to survive, Imperial intrigues, the good guys teaming up and also some of my favourite SW characters: Mara, Luke, Obi-Wan, Vader. =D=

I am thrilled senseless!

7. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    I am so glad you like it! It has been really fun to play around with the characters and put them into new situations to confront their fears. I started writing this with Like but I really enjoy writing Vader and Ben as well. I will update soon, thanks for the feedback!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    tagging Jedi_Perigrine

Chapter 11

The door to Luke’s cell slid open. He bunched himself into a corner, protecting his head with his arms. He had lost track of how many days he had been in isolation. There was no way to determine the passage of time. Unlike the beatings he’d received since returning to the academy his meals had been infrequent. There was a dull ache beneath his ribs. The Acolyte stepped into the cell, his grey face and dead eyes emotionless as he looked down at the boy cowering in the corner. Luke was naked save for the pair of grimy undershorts he’d been wearing for days.

‘I’m very disappointed with you Luke.’

‘I’m sorry,’ mumbled Luke without looking up. His lips were bruised and swollen and talking was painful.

‘You didn’t do as you were told.’

‘I know.’

The Acolyte sighed and stooped, catching Luke’s chin and forcing him to look up. ‘Now you know what happens when you don’t do as you are told, don’t you?’

‘Yes.’

‘What are you going to do next time?’

‘I’m going to do as I’m told.’

‘Good.’ The Acolyte let Luke go and stepped away from him. Luke bowed his head and stared at the tip of the man’s soft shoes. ‘This is your final warning. Now, go to your dorm and get some rest. You are excused from lessons for the rest of the day. What do you say?’

‘Thank you.’

‘Good. Now run along.’

Slowly, painfully, Luke uncurled and got to his feet, putting out a hand to steady himself on the wall as he staggered towards the door. The wardens had taken particular delight in stamping on his feet and every step sent a spike of agony though his ankles. The floor felt cool against his bare feet. He was acutely aware that he stank but the door to the ablutions room was closed and locked. The wardens liked to play this little game with them, locking down the cleaning facilities and denying them clean clothes for days on end. At first Luke had thought these were punishments for not working hard enough during training but he had come to realise the wardens did it simply to watch them suffer, or perhaps they simply didn’t care.

His neck and back felt stiff from sleeping on the cold floor of the cell, so he walked along staring at his feet. He had often walked like this back on Tatooine, keeping his head down to avoid sand getting into his eyes. It seemed like he’d spent the majority of his life staring down at his feet. He was about to enter his dormitory when he ran head-first into Kolnaas.

‘Watch where you’re going shutta!’ snapped the big man, giving him a cuff on the side of the head that was hard enough to knock him to the floor. He banged his head and for a moment stars flashed in front of his eyes. Instinctively he curled into a protective ball, but Kolnaas was already walking off, as if Luke was no more important than an insect he’d swatted out of his path.

Picking himself up, Luke walked into the dorm, expecting to find it empty. He was surprised to find Matthyu huddled on top if his cot, face turned away from the door. As he got closer he realised the younger boy was crying quietly, his whole body shuddering as he tried to hold in his sobs.

Hearing his footsteps Matthyu twisted around, his eyes wild and frightened until they saw who had disturbed him.

‘Sorry. I didn’t know you were in here,’ said Luke.

‘It’s okay.’ Matthyu dragged a hand across his face and sat with his knees drawn up to his chin. ‘We didn’t think you were coming back.’

Matthyu’s lip was bleeding. ‘Did he do that to you?’ said Luke.

Matthyu nodded slowly, staring into space. He was like a ghost of the stocky kid he had been when he had arrived, the one who was determined that his father would come to rescue him. Now there was nothing in his eyes. Luke sat down beside him and put an arm around the boy’s shoulder. For a moment Matthyu flinched away from his touch but then he cuddled in closer, the way a very young child might seek comfort from an older sibling.

‘We’ll get through this,’ said Luke.

‘Yeah. Right.’

‘We will, we just have to stick together.’

‘You’ll be alright,’ said Matthyu in a low voice. ‘You’re bigger and stronger than me.’

‘We just need to care of each other.’ Luke gave the younger boy’s shoulder a squeeze. ‘I’ll look out for you. We’ll be okay.’

But Matthyu shook his head. ‘I don’t think so. I’ve got this feeling inside of me. I think something terrible is going to happen but I don’t know what it is.’

Luke wanted to promise Matthyu that whatever it was they would get through it together. The only trouble was he knew that it was a promise he wasn’t sure he could keep.

* * *​

Dantooine was far enough off the regular space lanes for there to be no Imperial presence, and Ahsoka was able to take the Grey Pilgrim down through the atmosphere without any of the usual bother about landing permits or approach vectors. The population consisted of a few settlers and the native Dantari, a primitive pre-industrial culture, so there was little in the way of traffic around the planet at any time which, in Ben’s mind, made it the perfect place to locate a base of operations.

Ahsoka took the ship in low over the plains. Ben saw herds of large animals scattered across the green hillocks and reflected that the abundance of life on the planet would also make it an ideal spot for a Jedi to conceal themselves.

‘There it is,’ said Ahsoka, inclining her head to the right.

Ben had been expecting a temporary camp of prefabricated shelters, the kind of place that could be evacuated quickly in an emergency, so he was surprised to see a large structure of stone rise up out of the greenery. Beyond that several hangers had been constructed, each large enough to hold a full squadron of starfighters. The stone structure itself was ancient and had obviously been rebuilt recently. Two large stone arms reached out to encircle a central courtyard and served as landing pads. As Ahsoka brought the ship in for a landing Ben noticed a pair of quad heavy laser cannons, concealed beneath camo-nets, tracking their approach.

‘Come and meet the rebellion,’ said Ahsoka, getting to her feet and heading towards the back of the craft. The boarding ramp lowered with a hiss and jet of steam, and Ben found himself looking into a familiar face that almost had him reaching for his lightsaber.

‘Take it easy General, I’m on your side,’ said the clone, holding up his hands.

‘Apologies. The last time I encountered any clone they were trying to kill me,’ said Ben, letting his hand fall back at his side.

The clone transferred his gaze to Ahsoka. ‘It’s good to see you again too Commander.’

‘I keep telling you not to call me that,’ she said, clasping his wrist. ‘You remember Fives, don’t you, Master Kenobi?’

Ben stared at the clone, his jaw dropping. Fives. An ARC trooper with the 501st and probably one of the best soldiers Ben had ever served with in the Clone Wars. But Fives had been killed on Coruscant after attempting to murder Chancellor Palpatine…

‘It’s a long story I’m afraid. Short version: not dead.’ Fives said with a smile. The accelerated aging process that had allowed the Grand Army of the Republic to be grown so quickly was apparent in the deep lines in his face and his grey-streaked hair. He had a small “5” tattooed on his right temple and wore a combat suit with reinforced armour at the chest and shoulders, as well as a pair of blasters on his hips.

With just a moment’s hesitation Ben returned the smile. ‘I’m glad to hear it. How did you become part of the rebellion?’

‘Another long story. But I’ve been part of the resistance since the early days, even before this kid,’ said Fives, giving Ahsoka a playful nudge. ‘We’ll have time for a proper catch up later. General Kota’s eager to see you both.’

Ben started. ‘Kota? Rahm Kota?’

‘That’s the one. He’s been leading our faction for a few years now. We raid Imperial shipping lanes, attack military targets and generally cause as much mess as we can, but he’ll be able to tell you more. Follow me.’

Fives led them across the landing area, weaving between the motley collection of ships that were berthed inside the structure. They were a mix of Y-wings, Z-95 head-hunters and even a couple of old ARC-170’s. Mechanics worked on the ships and droids quirked to each other in high-pitched whistles across the concourse. A couple of off-duty pilots strode past, and Ahsoka called out a greeting to one of them.

‘How’s the recruitment business Dave?’

The pilot flashed lopsided smile. ‘Some of these bush pilots are pretty green, but they’re getting there. We’ll make snubjockeys of them yet.’

‘You manage to get my ship running yet?’

The pilot pointed to a corner of the landing pad where the sleek form of an Aethersprite-class light interceptor was being worked on by a pair of maintenance technicians. ‘Finding spare parts for that class is hard now that they’ve stopped production, so we’ve had to improvise. She’s grounded until we can find an ion impulsion chamber that’ll fit the engine.’

‘Keep looking, I can’t have you flyboy’s hogging all the fun.’

More people called out to Ahsoka as they walked. Watching her, Ben was eerily reminded of the easy-going camaraderie which Anakin had displayed towards the soldiers he’d commanded during the war. His natural confidence and genuine concern for those he led into battle had set him apart from rest of the Jedi, and it was a trait he seemed to have passed onto his apprentice. He sensed the warmth pouring out of Ahsoka as she traded jokes and insults with more pilots and some of the ground crew.

Fives led them into the central building of the base, which was constructed of huge stone blocks. Clearly this had been a structure of great importance, mused Ben as he strode down a long corridor. The walls were engraved with intricate devices and hieroglyphs which time had worn away, and here and there on the floor he could still make out flecks of deep red paint which must have been the original interior colour. Rebel soldiers and support staff stepped aside respectfully for Ahsoka and Fives.

At last they came to a large circular chamber that had been outfitted to serve as a command and control centre. Sentients from a dozen different species were seated at computer terminals around the perimeter of the room and in the centre a large holo-projector displayed a cross-section of an imperial star destroyer. Standing in front of the image with his hands clasped behind his back was Jedi Master Rahm Kota. Sensing their approach he spun to face them. Fives snapped a salute, while Ahsoka and Ben bowed respectfully.

‘Master Kenobi. Better late than never I suppose,’ said Kota.

‘Master Kota, it’s good to see you again.’

‘So you’ve finally decided to crawl out from under your rock. What a privilege it is to have such a revered member of the Jedi High Council among us,’ said Kota, pacing in a slow circle around Ben.

‘I see the years have done little to improve your temperament, Master Kota,’ said Ben, his face expressionless.

Kota completed his circle and stood facing Ben. ‘Ahsoka swears you were the best Jedi Master she ever served with during the war. I intend to reserve my judgement until you prove yourself to me.’

Ben ignored the veiled insult. Years of rubbing shoulders with surly moisture farmers on Tatooine had led him to develop a thick skin, but he was acutely aware that Kota was pushing him, gauging his reactions.

‘I regret to say that I did not journey across the galaxy solely to seek your approval Master Kota. I am quite happy to explain my absence. Perhaps I should return when you’re in more congenial mood?’

His words provoked a twitch of Kota’s lips. ‘Still the negotiator I see.’

‘Some things never change.’

‘Some things. But not everything,’ said Kota. He stepped forward and held out his hand for Ben to shake. ‘It’s good to see you Kenobi.’

Ben grasped his hand, aware that he had passed some kind of test, at least in Kota’s mind at any rate. ‘I’m glad the rebellion has someone capable in command.’

Kota grunted. ‘I don’t know about the rebellion. I just control a few squadrons of starfighters, but we do our best. Any credit for organised rebellion belongs to Ahsoka, she’s the one that gets us all to work together.’

‘I’m just a messenger,’ said Ahsoka.

‘A lightning rod more like, not to mention a better starfighter pilot than most of the veterans we have,’ said Kota. ‘No false Jedi modesty please. Come on, we should talk in private.’

They left Fives in the command centre and Kota escorted them into an anteroom which had been outfitted as a training room for starfighter pilots. Large illustrations of Imperial ships adorned the walls as well as data-cards with labels such as “tie-fighter tactics” and “fleet deployment charts” were stacked on shelves.

‘This building used to be a Jedi enclave believe it or not,’ said Kota. ‘It was destroyed centuries ago and lay abandoned until we found it.’

‘I can’t think of a better place to use as a base of rebellion,’ said Ben.

‘That’s what I thought, until we discovered the laigrek nest in the sublevel. Took forever to clear them out. It would have been much easier to build ourselves a base out on the plains but, I don’t know, I felt like the Force guided us here.’ Kota slapped the bare stone wall with affection. ‘It’s not much to look at, but it’s been home for three years and it’s served us well.’

‘You’ve assembled a substantial fighting force here.’

Kota waved a hand. ‘They’re good lads but they lack experience. The only decent pilots I’ve got are veterans from the Clone Wars, and I don’t have nearly enough of those. We also don’t have any larger ships for support, so we can only attack a limited range of targets.’

‘We’re working on that,’ said Ahsoka. ‘But hiding a capital ship is a lot harder than hiding a bunch of dogfighters, and we don’t have the manpower to crew a larger vessel.’

‘The Corellians have plenty of ships. If Bel Iblis is so keen on open rebellion he should donate some to the cause.’

‘Senator Bel Iblis has to walk a difficult tightrope. If he declares open hostility against the Empire it could place Corellia in jeopardy, not to mention his family,’ said Ahsoka patiently, as if this was a debate she had heard many times before.

‘Bah, families. Waste of time. Best thing about the Jedi Order if you ask me. Families are just a weakness to be exploited by your enemies,’ said Kota. He glanced towards Ben. ‘What about you Kenobi? Have you cast aside our ideals for love?’

Ben shook his head. ‘I remain loyal to the code.’

‘I’m glad to hear it. So, are you going to tell me what you’ve been up to for over a decade when you could have been fighting against the Emperor?’

In a clear and concise voice, Ben told them (as much as the dared) about taking Luke to Tatooine and watching over him, and about the Imperial raid where he’d been captured.

‘How is that that after all those years watching over the boy, the first time Imperials show up, you aren’t there to protect him?’ said Kota.

‘I couldn’t reach him in time,’ said Ben. ‘I was… away purchasing supplies when I heard about the Imperial presence. They were testing children for Force-awareness.’

‘It sounds like they hit the jackpot,’ said Kota, stroking his chin. ‘The Chosen-One’s son in the hands of the Emperor and Vader. I don’t like that one bit, but I don’t see that there’s anything practical to do about it. We have no idea where the Empire trains its inquisitors, or even if they’re all trained in a central location.’

‘The way I see it, the only way to find him is to draw out Vader and make him reveal where Luke has been taken,’ said Ahsoka.

Kota let out a roar of laughter and slapped his thighs. ‘Draw out Darth Vader and make him talk? Are you crazy? He’s almost single-handedly wiped the Jedi Order from the face of the galaxy. Do you know how many Jedi have gone up against Vader and survived? I’ll tell you. None.’

‘Vader isn’t invincible,’ said Ben in a quiet voice. ‘I fought and defeated him once. I can do it again.’

That got Ahsoka and Kota’s attention. They both turned to stare at him with wide eyes. Kota raised a disbelieving eyebrow. ‘Right. And you didn’t finish him off because…?’

‘I defeated him and left him for dead in a river of molten lava,’ said Ben simply. ‘I thought that sufficient to kill him, but I underestimated his resolve to survive.’

‘Next time do me a favour and decapitate him,’ said Kota. ‘You have a pretty poor record with killing Sith Lords Kenobi. First you let Darth Maul survive on Naboo and now you tell me you let Vader live as well? Is there another story where you had the Emperor in your power but you decided to give him a second chance?’

‘That’s enough Rahm,’ said Ahsoka.

Kota stared at Ben for a moment before lowering his eyes. His shoulders slouched. ‘I’m sorry Kenobi. I’ve just seen too many friends fall to Vader. I know we’re supposed to reject attachment but after so many years of fighting a losing battle it’s hard not to become bitter.’

‘There is no offense. Watching over the boy wasn’t easy when I thought I could be out here helping the survivors, but Master Yoda instructed me to take care of Luke, so I stayed at my post.’

‘Master Yoda is alive?’

Ben shrugged. ‘I really don’t know. Like me he went into exile but I have no idea where he is or even if he’s still alive.’

‘Maybe we should try to find him,’ suggested Ahsoka.

For a moment Kota looked thoughtful. ‘If Master Yoda lives he’ll reveal himself when he thinks the time is right, not before. Until then we’re on our own. Kenobi’s right, having Luke fall into the Emperor’s grasp is a disaster, but we don’t have the strength to take on Vader.’

‘Not individually perhaps. We need to unite against him.’

‘No offense Kenobi, but you don’t look like you kept in fighting shape during your exile. Ahsoka is a fine warrior but she never finished her training and I’m no spring gizka myself. And even if we had a chance to defeat Vader, how in the galaxy how would we draw him out?’

Ben furrowed his brow as if deep in thought. He lifted his eyes to stare at Ahsoka and Kota, a determined look on his weather-beaten face. ‘I think it’s time we sent the Empire a reminder that they are not impregnable. The time has come to re-establish the Jedi Order.’

9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I wonder if Luke can stand so much pressure. He is tested more than his sister Leia ever was on board of the Death Star in the original movie. How much inner strength and equilibrium has Padmé inherited to her children? And can it save them from falling?

It is also good to know that rescue is on its way, even though Obi-Wan/ Ben makes slow progress...

Well, in the end Luke can only save himself by staying the person that he is. Without ending up killed by that by "his trainers"!

gaarastar58 likes this.
  10. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Poor Luke, he's really getting shafted here. Hope he can hold on to his humanity!

Obi-Wan and Ahsoka together should make a potent fighting force. Rahm Kota was a great inclusion as well! Nicely characterized. He's a gruff, tough old bird.

Great post! Keep them coming!

11. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    tagging Jedi_Perigrine

Chapter 12

The children waited until the dorm lights went out before they assembled. Most nights they were too exhausted from their training to move but on nights where they could manage to get up they would gather at the far end of the dorm and huddle together in the dark, bundled up in blankets and sheets, to tell their stories.

They were not the stories of ordinary children, full of adventure and daring, of distant planets and far off heroes. Such tales were of no use to them.

Somehow, in ways the children did not understand, something was happening to their minds. Whether it was the training, or the strange conversations they each had with the Acolyte or… something else, they could not be sure, but they were losing their memories. The realisation had crept up on them slowly, so that by the time any of them noticed the change they had already lost huge chunks of their past. Now the only memories that came easily to them were the unhappy ones, memories of being bullied, of being sad, of grief. All their joy and the happiness had been leeched away from them bit by bit.

It had been Jax who first suggested the idea of telling each other stories from their past, Jax whose skull had later been split open and whose brains had come out. He had been the middle child of a poor family on Corellia, the son of a speeder mechanic. He had liked figda candy and watching swoop races. When he was a young boy his mother used to bathe him in the sink of their cramped apartment in Kor Vella and he would always end up getting into a water-fight with his brother and sister.

Luke remembered the details of Jax’s life, but when he looked back into his own past he encountered nothing except a blank haze and some snatches of happy times. Fearing that even these fleeting glimpses would be taken from them, the children told each other stories of their homes and families so that their good memories would not be forgotten.

Tonight it was Matthyu that pressed forward first, eager for his own story. Luke could feel him sitting next to him, feel the tense excitement in the hand which rested on his leg.

‘When you were little you and your brothers used to play hide-and-seek in your garden,’ began Rash. ‘You used to find places to hide in trees or behind the hwotha berry bushes. Sometimes in the summer you used to take a handful of berries to eat while you were hiding. Your favourite place to hide was behind a big old tree that grew on the very edge of the garden.’

‘It had long droopy branches that hung down over a stream where you and your older brothers used to play in the warm season,’ added Mara.

‘It was a kuvara tree,’ said Matthyu in an excited voice as the memory broke free and came flooding back. ‘It had really rough bark and the leaves smelled funny when you rubbed them between your hands. Mother used to add some of them to her cooking and it made the whole house smell sweet.’

Even though Luke couldn’t see the expression on Matthyu’s face it was obvious from his voice that he was smiling. Sometimes all it took was a prompt from someone else to stir up a memory that had been stolen from them. The children took turns, sometimes reciting a story for a member of the group and sometimes telling a story of their own for the others to commit to memory. They had become the guardians of each other’s pasts.

‘What about you Farm Boy?’ came Mara’s voice out of the darkness.

Luke let out a long breath. ‘I remembered something today. At least, I think I remembered it. I’m not really sure.’

‘Let’s hear it.’

‘Well, it’s not really a memory, it’s more like a series of images. I was at home on Tatooine, or at least in the desert somewhere. I think I must have been in trouble because my uncle was angry with me and I’d run off. I felt cold. It must have been getting dark. I was lost. I got upset. And then… then I saw…’

‘What?’ asked Matthyu.

‘I don’t know. It was a man but he wasn’t a man. He was tall and dark, wearing a kind of desert cloak, but it was like there was light coming off him. Or maybe he was made of light. Anyway, as soon as I saw him I stopped being afraid.’

‘Who was he?’

‘I don’t know. He had a beard I think and, uh, silver hair. And a wrinkly smile. All I know is that I felt safe when I saw him.

Mara snorted. ‘It sounds more like a dream than a memory. How can someone be made of light.’

‘He wasn’t made of light,’ said Luke, aware that we was explaining this all very badly. ‘He was just, light. Like there was light all around him. Or maybe… that it was flowing through him.’

A thought danced at the edge of his mind, something about what Darth Vader had said about… what was it? The Force. Luke had no idea what the Force was but somehow he felt it was connected to his memory of the hooded stranger he had met. A name surfaced in his mind, but before he could focus it into a coherent thought it slipped into the murky haze and was gone again. He felt Matthyu cuddle up next to him in the darkness and put an arm around his small shoulders.

‘Who’s next?’

***​

For thousands of years the Jedi Order were the guardians of peace and justice throughout the Republic, yet Ben Kenobi had always thought it ironic that they were best known for the weapons they carried. The lightsaber. A weapon of pure edge, as Master Windu used to call it. No part of the blade did not cut. No part of the blade did not kill. It was the ultimate juxtaposition that an Order dedicated to peace and prosperity would chose to wield such a deadly weapon. How had that come to be? Perhaps it was because peace without the means to enforce it was easily torn apart. But was peace imposed at sword-point true peace?

Ben had grown up studying the art of lightsaber combat and when he was eleven he had constructed his own weapon. He knew the components of a lightsaber intimately. Field energisers. Power cell. Modulation circuits. Power insulators. Kyber crystal.

He pictured the components in his mind and reached out with the force. A dozen or more pieces rose into the air at his command, sliding together inside their sleek casing. Each constituent part made up the whole, just as the Jedi were only a part of the Force. The pieces clicked together until finally the completed lightsaber hovered before him. Stretching out his hand he plucked the weapon from the air. Taking a breath he thumbed the activation switch. Nothing happened. No glowing blade of plasma emerged from the emitter shroud. The weapon lay in his open palm, a mere collection of esoteric parts.

‘Master Kenobi?’

He heard the tread of soft boots on the flagstones behind him. ‘I’ve asked you not to call me that Ahsoka.’

‘I’m sorry Mas… uh, Ben.’ She moved alongside him. They were in one of the wide circular chambers of the enclave that were open to the sky. Ben thought about the generations of Jedi Knights and students that must have come to this very spot to meditate. It was a comforting thought, to know that he was a part of something that had endured for so long.

‘I’ve been trying to reconstruct Jinx’s lightsaber. Master Kota had a spare Kyber crystal to replace the Sith synthetic crystal but I can’t seem to get it to work properly. All of the components are correct, but it still refuses to work.’

Ahsoka knelt down and sat cross-legged. ‘Is that Anakin’s lightsaber?’

Ben picked up the hilt which had been lying on the ground next to his own weapon. He held it out to her and Ahsoka ran her fingers over the smooth metal.

‘I miss him,’ said Ahsoka.

‘So do I.’

‘What happened to him?’

Ben stared at the ground, trying to fight down the memories that swelled up inside of him. Just for a moment he felt the heat of Mustafar wash over his skin, smelled the acrid stench of Anakin’s skin burning.

Ahsoka seemed to sense the shift in his mood. ‘I’m sorry. I know it must be difficult. We don’t have to talk about him if you don’t want to.’

‘No it’s alright,’ said Ben , holding up a hand. ‘To tell you the truth, I’ve had nobody that I could talk to about Anakin for a long time. It’s just that I failed him, and that failure has haunted me during my exile.’

‘I’m sure you did everything you could.’

‘I should have done more. I should have been more vigilant. I should have…’ Ben managed to stop himself before he revealed too much. Ahsoka seemed to sense his reluctance. She got to her feet and activated Anakin’s lightsaber. The bright blue blade spat from the emitter plate, sizzling in the late afternoon air. She raised the weapon in mock salute.

‘Come on old man. Let’s see if you still have some fight left in you.’

Ben got to his feet, rolling his lightsaber hilt to loosen his wrist. ‘Do you think you have the skill to best a Jedi Master in combat, youngling?’

Instead of answering, Ahsoka whirled her lightsaber and charged towards him. Thumbing the activation switch Ben brought his weapon to life. The air crackled as the two shimmering blades met. At first they circled each other slowly, clashing their blades together more to gauge each other’s reach and allow themselves time to warm their muscles up than to break through each other’s guard. Then Ahsoka spun, launching a reverse jab at Ben’s side. He parried with ease and slid into the classic Soresu style which he had favoured throughout the Clone Wars.

When he had been a young Jedi Knight Soresu’s economy of motion and controlled ferocity had come naturally to him. Now that he was older however, he found the momentum of the form difficult to maintain. He could sense Ahsoka probing at his weaknesses. They had sparred together many times and she was familiar with his fighting style, which relied mainly on defence while she, like Anakin, favoured a more aggressive form, such as Shien or Ataru.

They moved back and forth across the open space, lightsabers emitting flashes of white light when they met. Dimly Ben was aware that their duel had drawn a group of off-duty pilots and ground crew to act as spectators. A few shouts of encouragement for Ahsoka rose into the air.

Ben could feel his body tiring, although Ahsoka had not yet found any gaps in his defence. She had always been skilled in lightsaber combat, and her years spent in exile had tempered her youthful energy with experience and patience. She was an excellent opponent, but despite his years without practice, Ben still had a few tricks up his sleeve. He backed towards a wall, letting Ahsoka believe she was driving him back, and in a flash he switched forms to Ataru. The sudden change in his stance caught her off guard and she stumbled backwards. Ben followed, raining down blow after blow onto her blue blade. Using the Force she back-flipped away from him, landing a dozen metres away.

‘Perhaps you are in need of more training Ahsoka?’ said Ben good-naturedly, raising his lightsaber to a protective position above his head.

She leapt towards him, blade singing. He caught her attack and they exchanged blows, each battering furiously at each other’s defence. They danced across the area, lightsabers hissing and spitting. Ben saw his chance as Ahsoka was bringing her blade down for a vertical strike. He caught the blade and rolled his wrist with a practiced motion, tearing the lightsaber from her grasp. It clattered to the ground and before she could summon it he had his blade at her throat. It hummed for a moment before he shut it off and returned the hilt to a clip on his belt.

A slow clapping noise came from behind them. Ben turned to see Rahm Kota striding across the flagstones. ‘Well done, Kenobi, I didn’t think you had it in you.’

Ben reached up and felt his neck. ‘I think age is starting to get the better of me. Ahsoka is an excellent sparring partner.’

Kota nodded appreciatively and waved a hand at the group of watching rebels. ‘At least you kept the troops entertained. Many of them watch me train and I’ve even encouraged a few to learn a few basic techniques. It’s high time we removed some of the mystery that surrounds the Jedi. The Order became too aloof if you want my opinion. We locked ourselves away in our Temple and we forgot about the people we were supposed to be protecting. If you’re serious about re-establishing the Order we have to learn from our past errors.’

Ben nodded. ‘Empire has spent years vilifying the Jedi Order. We’ll have to work hard to regain the galaxy’s trust.’

‘Trust will come with understanding,’ said Kota. ‘I’d consider it a privilege if you would spar with me sometime Master Kenobi.’

‘The privilege will be mine. I still have much to learn.’

Kota flashed a lopsided smile at him and Ahsoka, then turned to leave, heading in the direction of the command centre. Ahsoka held out a hand and Anakin’s hilt flew to her grasp.

‘I’m glad to see time hasn’t rusted your skill,’ she said. ‘That was an interesting move you performed at the end.’

‘Makashi. The technique favoured by Count Dooku. He considered it the only true lightsaber form as it was designed solely for use against other lightsabers. It relies on precision and speed over strength.’

‘I think Master Skywalker always had a grudging respect for Dooku’s skill.’

‘Anakin certainly had first-hand experience of Makashi’s ability to disarm.’

Ahsoka’s eyebrow twitched and she smiled. ‘That’s just cruel Master.’

The crowd was beginning to break up now that the spectacle was over, the ground crews drifting back towards the landing pads. Ahsoka fell into step beside Ben and they started walking towards the eastern wing of the enclave which had been converted into living quarters.

‘You have done well to hone your skills, but you still have much to learn,’ said Ben. They walked on a few paces without speaking. ‘Can I ask something?’

‘Sure.’

‘Why did you leave?’ Ben had been waiting to ask this question ever since he encountered Ahsoka on Fondor. The young woman hung her head and sighed.

‘I was raised by the Jedi. After Master Plo Koon brought me to the Temple I grew up learning the ways of the Force, learning about our customs and traditions. I grew up thinking that the Order was a bright beacon of light in the galaxy, symbolising hope and justice. There was never a point when I didn’t want to be part of that. Later on when I became Master Skywalker’s apprentice and we fought in the Clone Wars my faith in the Jedi never wavered. But when I needed help, when I was lost and in need of guidance the Jedi turned their back on me.’

Ben kept his eyes on the cracked slabs of rock that made up the corridor floor. ‘Our decision was a mistake.’

‘I’m not blaming you. At my trial Yoda told me that the council’s decision to expel me wasn’t a unanimous one, and I know you would’ve fought against that decision.’

‘I could have done more.’

‘That’s become a running theme with you,’ she noted. ‘After I was acquitted I… I don’t know. Something deep inside me broke and I knew it couldn’t be fixed by the Jedi.’

‘I admit that my confidence in the Council’s decisions was shaken that day. I think Anakin lost his faith in the Order. Losing you opened up a wound that never fully healed. He was never the same after you left.’

‘He chased after me and tried to convince me I was making a mistake. It’s strange, but I think that was the moment when we were closest to truly understanding each other. Turning my back on the Jedi was awful, but walking away and leaving Anakin behind was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.’

Ben could feel the anger and hurt pouring out of Ahsoka. She raised a hand to wipe a tear out of her eye.

‘All I could think about was all the times he’d risked his life to save me and all the times he’d never lost faith in me. I feel like I betrayed him.’

‘There was no betrayal. He cared for you and when you were gone he grieved your loss, but it was a grief of love, not of anger.’

‘Perhaps. You know I think he could see better than anyone what the flaws of the Jedi Order were. Kota’s right. If we’re going to re-establish the Order we need to correct the mistakes of the past. We need to change,’ said Ahsoka, stopping and turning to face Ben. She held out Anakin’s lightsaber.

Reaching out, Ben took the weapon, feeling not only its weight but also the weight of memory it carried. In many ways Anakin had never left him. He had been Ben’s unseen companion on Tatooine, his voice constantly in Ben’s thoughts. Could it be that the man responsible for the destruction of the Jedi Order had been the only one with the vision to save it from itself? Ben had always assumed that Anakin’s attachment to Padmé had been a weakness, used by Sidious to exploit him, but had Anakin seen something that the cloistered Jedi had not? Perhaps Kota was right. The old Jedi Order was dead and gone, but perhaps from its ashes a new Order could arise, stronger and better than its forerunner.

‘I feel that the Jedi will have a part to play in the battle to overthrow the Emperor. We will lead the charge against the Sith but beyond that my vision is clouded.’

A smile broke through on Ahsoka’s tear-stained face. ‘I guess if we’re going to war I’d better work on my lightsaber technique.’

‘In that case you’ll need a teacher.’

‘Know anyone who’s up to the job?’ she said with a smirk.

12. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    Tagging Jedi_Perigrine

Chapter 13

Luke coughed as sand filled his mouth. The armoured boot of a stormtrooper dug into the back of his head, pressing his face against the ground. As Luke cried out with pain more sand worked its way into his mouth and he choked on it. Nearby he could hear his aunt Beru screaming at the soldiers to stop and Uncle Owen’s bellow of rage as he struggled against the two men holding his arms.

‘That’s enough,’ said Captain Grammel, and Luke could hear the pleasure in his voice. ‘We don’t want to do any permanent damage.’

A foot hooked under his body and rolled him over. Luke shut his eyes, gasping for air and trying to spit out the dirt clogging his mouth. His eyes streamed with tears and his whole body ached.

‘Leave him alone you bastards,’ shouted Uncle Owen. One of the stormtroopers rammed the butt of his weapon into the moisture farmers belly and he doubled up.

‘I suggest you restrain yourself from further outbursts. I really have no interest in you. I’ve come for the boy,’ said Grammel.

‘What?’ Uncle Owen staggered to his feet. ‘You can’t just—’

‘I can and I am,’ said Grammel with a smirk. He gestured to one of the stormtroopers. ‘Take the boy to the transport.’

Uncle Owen’s mouth gaped. He seemed lost for words as one of the soldiers picked up Luke’s limp form and started dragging him towards the waiting transport. Owen strained against the cuffs binding his wrists but seeing that it was useless, he spat in Grammel’s purple face.

The imperial officer flicked a handkerchief out from his sleeve and calmly mopped his face, smoothing his moustache with two fingers. A stormtrooper sergeant stepped up. ‘What will we do with them Captain Grammel?’

Grammel wiped the sweat from his forehead and dropped his handkerchief into the dust before glancing up at the furious Owen and weeping Beru. ‘They resisted arrest.’

Luke watched the flametrooper lower the barrel of his weapon in slow motion, knowing what was about to happen. He had seen this. He had seen this so many times it was carved into his brain. Flames belched out, consuming his aunt and uncle. He screamed himself hoarse as their flesh bubbled and melted and fell from their charred bones. He struggled but the stormtroopers held him tight, just as they always did. He was helpless, useless. He could do nothing.

Rage flowed through Luke, burning hotter than the flames which had taken the lives of his only remaining family. He screamed a horrible scream of anger and grief and something happened that had never before happened in all the times he had revisited this place. He broke free of the stormtroopers grip.

His bare feet pounded through the dust as he ran at Grammel. A shocked expression crossed the Imperial officer’s face as Luke crashed into him, bowling him to the ground. Luke hammered a fist into the man’s face, expecting at any moment to hear the shriek of a blaster and feel the white hot agony as the stormtroopers cut him down. But they didn’t. He pounded Grammel’s face again and again. Blood blossomed out of the man’s nose. He struggled, making feeble attempts to throw the boy off but Luke was too strong for him.

Luke seized Grammel’s throat and squeezed. It felt surprisingly thin for such a large man, almost fragile. He tightened his grip. Grammel’s mouth gaped, trying desperately to suck in air. With a savage yell Luke lifted the man’s head up and slammed it into the ground again and again until finally he lay still.

Luke knelt over the dead man, chest heaving.

For the first time he noticed that he felt cold.

The stench of burning flesh faded from his nostrils. He sat up and looked at his hands. They were dripping with blood. His wrists and arms were covered with a pattern of bruises. He wasn’t wearing his desert gear, only a thin vest and shorts, and the ground wasn’t hard-packed sand but cold metal.

As the rage faded he looked around, seeing the familiar structure of the academy. He wasn’t on Tatooine. He looked at his hands, at his bloody knuckles, and then he looked at the huddled form he was hunched over.

Blood seeped from Matthyu’s ears and pooled around his head. Wide frightened eyes stared sightlessly up at Luke. He wasn’t breathing. His mouth yawned, as if he was still frantically trying to suck in one last breath.

‘Matthyu? Matthyu!’

Desperately Luke shook the boy’s shoulders. Matthyu’s head flopped to one side. His blonde hair was stained black with blood.

Luke screamed.

13. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Ch 12: Awesome post. I loved seeing the comradery between Ahsoka and Ben--good to see her skill hasn't been lost! And Kota's terse inclusion is always a welcome for me. Wonder what's up with Jinx's lightsaber. I think there's a big clue in there somewhere!

Chapter 13: :eek: Poor Luke! Poor Matthyu! Such horrible training that Vader's crew is doing. I hope they can get those younglings out of there soon!

Sorry I missed one. I'm looking forward to the next post!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    It's been a while, but it's time for a new chapter! The rest of the story is finished, I'll be posting new chapters over the next few weeks. Tagging Jedi_Perigrine

Chapter 14

The sound of fighting greeted Vader as he stepped through the blast doors into the academy. He followed it until he came upon a small training room where the seven remaining initiates were taking turns to practice with stun-pikes. Cad Bane stood in the centre of the room, watching and occasionally stepping forward to give an initiate advice or, more frequently, administer a swift slap to their head when they failed to meet his exacting standards. Vader stood in the shadows at the edge of the chamber and watched as Luke was smacked in the chest by his opponent and collapsed to the floor, writhing as energy lanced through his body. Bane stood over him and kicked him in the back.

‘Get up you worthless shutta.’

Luke dragged himself to his feet and even without the Force Vader could see the boy was exhausted. His shoulders were slumped and his head hung as if it weighed him down as he raised his stun-pike to defend himself. It was all Vader could do to hold himself back as he watched his opponent move in to deliver another crushing blow, this time to Luke’s side. With a cry the boy fell to the floor again. Vader restrained himself. This was necessary. If the boy was to be strong he would have to succeed on his own without help. That was the way of the Sith.

‘Greetings Lord Vader.’ A new voice, soft and cold, spoke from the shadows. Vader inclined his head slightly, not wishing to betray that he had not sensed the Overseer’s presence.

Maul stepped from the shadows and drew back the cowl of his robe, revealing his nightmarish red and black face and horns. His yellow eyes gleamed with malicious intent. None of the fire in those eyes had been doused by age, thought Vader as the Dathomirian came to stand at his side and watch the initiates struggling against Bane. The Force was closed around him like a cloak, which was why Vader had not sensed his approach. It was a technique favoured by the Sith assassins of old. The ability to shroud his presence was evidence of Maul’s skill with the Force.

‘The children are progressing well,’ said Maul. Whilst the other instructors referred to them only as initiates or candidates, Maul’s acknowledgement of their youth and individuality was somehow even more dehumanising. ‘I understand you have taken quite an interest in Luke.’

‘He means nothing to me,’ lied Vader.

‘Of course not. I merely suggest that the son of Anakin Skywalker could have great potential. Perhaps one day he will grow up to take his place as a Sith. Like his father.’

‘Perhaps.’ Maul’s voice made Vader’s skin (what was left of it) crawl. He had always despised his master’s former apprentice. The Emperor did not consider him to be any threat but Maul hungered for power and for approval, for all he pretended to despise his former master. He wished to return once again to his position as a Dark Lord of the Sith and only Vader prevented him from doing just that, which meant he had to be constantly on his guard.

The two of them watched the sparring unfold in front of them for a while longer before either of them spoke a word.

‘You cannot save him,’ whispered Maul.

Vader turned to look at him. He towered over the Dathomirian, who now leaned upon a knotted cane.

‘He will be your downfall. You are weak, Anakin, you always have been.’

‘That name no longer has any meaning for me,’ growled Vader, taking a step towards him.

‘Does it not?’ Maul turned his head and looked back towards the group of initiates. ‘Do you know the true secret of the Sith? We are defined by our weaknesses. We are all weak. We are all cowards. We are all liars. We lie to ourselves and seek to negate our weaknesses through the acquisition of power.’

His gaze flicked back to Vader. ‘Attachment is your weakness. You let your relationships with other control you and when you try to protect them you leave yourself exposed.’

The air thickened around Vader as he drew the Force to himself. His heart beat like a drum against his ribs and it took all his self-control to stop himself from reaching out and grabbing Maul by the throat and crushing the life from his body. Maul’s lip twitched, no doubt sensing his hostility, while Vader still felt nothing from him, as if he were not even there but merely a shadow on the wall.

‘And what is your weakness?’ he demanded in a strained voice.

‘My weakness?’ The smile grew on Maul’s face. ‘Loyalty. The Emperor knows this and one day it will destroy me. But before that happens I will cast you down and I will regain my rightful place as a Sith.’

‘Perhaps your true weakness is your unguarded ambition. I could destroy you here and now.’

‘Oh, I think not.’

Suddenly Maul dropped the shroud from around himself so that Vader immediately felt his presence through the Force. And he was strong. Stronger than Vader expected. Not enough to challenge him, but more than enough to be dangerous. His gloved hand twitched towards his lightsaber as he considered cutting Maul down here and now. Doubt crept into his mind. No, Maul would surely have expected that. Stretching out he realised that they were not alone. At least a dozen Inquisitors were nearby, no doubt ready to come to their Overseer’s aid. Palpatine had been a fool to grant Maul this much power, or had it been his intention all along to pit them against each other? Vader wasn’t sure but a quick glance at Cad Bane confirmed his worst fear. The Duros assassin was tapping a finger against the quick-draw blaster holstered at his hip and staring at Vader. The implication was clear. The blaster posed no threat to a Sith Lord, but there was no way he could reach Luke before Bane gunned him down. He cursed, angry that he had allowed himself to be cornered this way. He looked back to Maul, who was now grinning ear-to-ear.

‘I think not.’ Once again the shroud covered Maul and his presence dissipated. ‘Have no fear Lord Vader. The time has not yet come for me to take your place. But that time is coming. Soon.’

‘Why not make it now, why hold back?’

The smile slipped from Maul’s face. ‘Soon enough, Lord Vader. Soon enough.’

Stepping back with a mock bow, he retreated back into the shadows and vanished, leaving Vader standing alone, anger coursing through him, defeated. For all his strength he had not been able to fight Maul. He considered the situation, wondering what in the galaxy could have held Maul back from finally killing him. The answer was easy. Loyalty. Obviously Palpatine did not desire Vader’s death. Not yet at any rate. But why? What possible use could Palpatine have for… the realisation hit him. Kenobi. Palpatine feared Kenobi, as he feared all the Jedi. He would use Vader to eliminate the last of the Jedi and then replace him with a more loyal apprentice.

Vader smiled. Yes, he had lost this battle, but Maul had revealed more than he intended to. He had been right. The Sith were driven by their weaknesses and fears and Vader would find a way to use them against his master. Over-confidence was Palpatine’s weakness. Unlike Vader, he believed in his own invincibility. Vader had been like that once, and it had taken the loss of all his limbs and being burned alive to break him of that illusion. He was not indestructible and he no longer underestimated his enemies’ strength.

Below him the students were breaking up, their lesson finished. Vader made his way down and approached Luke, who was sitting on a bench with his head bowed. He could feel Bane’s eyes on him, but Vader ignored the bounty hunter. Luke raised his head and looked up at the towering black-clad figure standing in front of him. His eyes showed no signs of fear, in fact they showed nothing at all. He was close to breaking.

‘Come with me,’ said Vader. He turned away, knowing the boy would follow, and strode towards the exit. None of the initiates were allowed to leave the academy, and Vader was half-hoping that someone would try to stop him. He needed something to take his frustration out on.

Climbing into a speeder they soared away from the academy. Luke showed no interest in the starscrapers whizzing past or the lines of traffic. He stared at his knees with unseeing eyes. Vader had no means of reaching him, and he suddenly found himself considering what Anakin Skywalker would have done in this situation. He had been weak, but he would have known what to do to help the boy.

‘I am… sorry. About your friend,’ he said at last. Luke said nothing, and he could get no sense of the boy through the Force. Each of Vader’s attempts to provoke the boy into conversation failed. He began to grow frustrated but he fought the feeling down. The speeder flew through the endless lanes of vehicles and at last brought them within sight of their destination.

The Old Jedi Temple dominated the buildings around it, the angular sloping sides of the ziggurat reflecting the lights cast by nearby structures in the gathering darkness. The speeder came in low and landed near the entrance. In the past the road to the Temple had been lined with statues of venerated Jedi, heroes of the Old Republic, but the Emperor had ordered them to be torn down. For him it was not enough to merely defeat the Jedi. He had to obliterate them even from the pages of history. A colossal statue now stood at the top of the steps. It was a much idealised rendition of Palpatine himself, his face carved to mimic his appearance as a handsome young man. His hand stretched towards the heavens as if reaching out to grasp some divine destiny.

Shock troops guarded the entrance, but they made way for Vader, bowing low as he swept past them and inside the Temple which for many years had been his home. He shook himself. No, not his home. The home of Anakin Skywalker. He steered Luke towards a flight of steps that led into the heart of the Temple. As they descended the temperature dropped. Vader’s boots thundered on the stone stairs, his heavy breathing echoing in the narrow space. Soon they came to a large door flanked by a pair of red-cloaked Royal Guards. At a nod from Vader they bowed opened the door, revealing a dimly lit chamber beyond. Crossing the threshold, Vader turned to Luke. He was looking around the room with a detached expression on his face.

‘Do you know where we are?’

Luke shook his head.

‘This is the Hall of the Fallen. For thousands of years the Jedi Knights used this place to honour their dead. Look closely.’

The room was made up of hundreds of columns which thrust upwards to vanish in the darkness above. Wrapped around each column were thousands of circular shelves, and resting on each self was an assortment of cylindrical metal tubes. Stepping closer, Luke leaned in to peer at the objects.

‘They are lightsabers. A weapon of pure edge, wielded by the Jedi Order for thousands of years. Each blade was unique, built by a Jedi as a test of his abilities.’

Reaching out, Luke plucked a lightsaber from the rack closest to him. ‘It’s cold,’ he said. His thumb found the activation switch and with a snap-hiss a brilliant blue-white blade came to life. Luke jerked back with surprise, but he kept hold of the weapon. He stared up at the humming blade, his eyes wide and his mouth open with wonder. ‘I remember hearing stories about the Jedi. My Uncle Owen said they were just legends.’

‘There are no more Jedi.’

‘What happened to them?’

‘I destroyed them.’

‘Why?’

Vader stepped up to Luke so that the glow from the lightsaber reflected from his faceplate. ‘I did it to protect someone I cared about.’ He went down on one knee so that he was looking the boy in the face. ‘Is there someone you care about Luke?’

Luke’s eyes fell. ‘I wanted to look after Matthyu. But I didn’t. I… I killed him.’ A tear ran down his cheek. ‘I couldn’t save him.’

‘Is there anyone else?’

‘Mara.’ Luke dragged his hand across his face and sniffed. ‘Mara and Kurukh.’

‘And what would you do to protect them? What would you do to keep them safe?’

‘Anything.’

‘Good. That is the way of the Sith. We acquire power so that we can protect the people we care about. You are strong Luke, stronger than you know, and one day you will become powerful enough to keep people like Matthyu safe. I can teach you the ways of the Sith. I can make you strong. Do you want that?’

Luke’s eyes glistened in the blue light. ‘Yes.’

‘Then from now on you are my apprentice. The Emperor is about to send you on a dangerous mission, but he doesn’t know how strong you are. Do not be afraid, I will always come for you, and one day soon I will take you to begin your Sith training. And then, together, we will make the galaxy safe.’

Chyntuck, AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Can you do it weekly, so I can slowly catch up with what I have missed? Nice to see you back. :)

16. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    Will do. Might not always be on the same day but will come fairly regular. Would you like a tag? It's good to be back!

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    Chapter 15

Moff Harkonan Kalast stood with his back to the viewport and surveyed the bridge of the star destroyer Avenger. He smiled to himself, watching the various officers and crewmen go about their duties. Kalast liked efficiency. Too many Moffs shunned their military responsibilities, preferring to live amidst the lavish comfort of their palaces. Kalast’s navy background was nothing exceptional, but now that his political connections had thrust him to the height of the Imperial hierarchy, he found he enjoyed the pomp and ceremony of the military. He had heard the whispers of some of his subordinates. They thought he was an egotistical dandy playing at soldiers, but the gossip didn’t concern him in the least. If they only knew, he thought to himself.

He was aware that he was playing a dangerous game. If caught he would be convicted of high treason, but Kalast had always been a survivor. He had in his possession the plans to the mightiest weapon ever conceived. Selling them to the Rebels would secure his place if they should, against all the odds, succeed in bringing the Empire to its knees. And if that didn’t look likely, well, he knew enough about their operations to prove himself invaluable to the Emperor. So long as he didn’t get caught.

Captain Decado approached him. The man was a veteran of the Clone Wars and an excellent commander. He walked with the loping stride of a man who had lived most of his life aboard starships, used to artificial gravity. ‘The engineering report you requested sir. I’m pleased to say the engines are functioning at ninety-six percent efficiency.’

‘Thank you Captain. Please communicate my compliments to the Chief Engineer.’

‘Yes sir.’

Kalast cast his eyes around the bridge to make sure nobody was listening in and lowered his voice. ‘Have you had any success with that other matter I asked you to take care of?’

Decado shook his head. ‘No, my lord, no luck yet. The rebel cells we have contacted have expressed interest, but none have the means to pay the amount you are demanding. Perhaps we should consider negotiating a more acceptable price?’

‘No captain. Sooner or later they will pay. They have no choice. And they have allies, friends in powerful places. They will pay.’

Decado nodded, but Kalast could read the uneasiness in his expression. ‘Do not worry my friend. Our strategy was a sound one. The ISB believe that our decoy was acting alone. There is nothing that can link back to us.’

‘We should not underestimate the ISB sir.’

‘No, we shouldn’t, but fretting won’t keep us any safer.’ Kalast gave his friend a reassuring smile. Like himself, Decado was dissatisfied with the way Palpatine ran the Empire. Too much fear, too much oppression and violence. A dictatorship wasn’t a sustainable system of government. Eventually the citizens would grow apathetic, then angry, and then openly violent. It had already begun, the Rebellion was proof enough of that. Kalast wanted a system of stability in which he could live comfortably and increase his wealth. That wasn’t much to ask.

‘I’m going to my stateroom. I have some preparations to make for next month’s Empire Day celebrations. Alert me when we rendezvous with the Indomitable.’

‘It shall be done my lord.’

Kalast left the bridge and strode to his stateroom. He’d had it specially designed for the Avenger since, as his flag ship, it was often used to entertain visiting dignitaries. The walls were panelled with expensive woods and the floors were carpeted with red gold. His manservant approached him but Kalast waved him away impatiently. He passed through the ornate function room into his private chambers. Soft light shone on expensive paintings on the walls. His study was his refuge while on board, a faithful replica of the room in his father’s mansion back on Serreno. As a boy Kalast had never been allowed to set foot inside his father’s study. He had hardly known the man, instead being raised by various governesses and servants, always seeking approval from the aloof figure who shared nothing with him except his blood. Look at me now, old man he thought, catching sight of himself in a full-length mirror. There were a lot of mirrors in his apartments, and Kalast could admit that he was vain. As a Moff he had more latitude to embellish his uniform and the standard Imperial grey was embroidered with gold braid and filigree on the collar.

Unbuttoning his tunic he seated himself at his desk, flicking on the computer terminal. A soft noise came from the next room. Probably just a servant cleaning his bed chamber he guessed.

The door opened.

‘I do not wish to be disturbed,’ he said, not looking up from his terminal. There was no reply, and he glanced up to see a sight so odd that his mouth dropped open in surprise. A girl, no more than eleven, was standing in the doorway, a blaster pistol aimed at his head. Behind her a blond-haired youth and a Noghri were trussing up one of Kalast’s servants.

‘What the hell…’ he said, rising to his feet.

The girl narrowed one eye and sighted along the barrel of her blaster. Kalast felt time slow as the realisation hit him that he was going to die. The girl squeezed the trigger. Nothing happened. She repeated the motion but again the blaster failed to fire. The boy and the Noghri drew their weapons, and he heard the grey skinned alien hiss with anger.

‘They are sssabotaged!’ he said. Dropping the pistol, the girl drew a knife and dashed towards Kalast. He threw himself backwards, away from the serrated blade. His hand went to his hip searching for his blaster but he was wearing his dress uniform and had told the tailor that a holster ruined the cut of the tunic. Cursing he scrambled to his feet. The girl vaulted the desk. He shoved his chair at her, searching for anything he could use as a weapon. She slashed at him with the blade, and a streak of pain lanced across Kalast’s chest.

The door at the far end of the room opened and Captain Decado ran in, flanked by a squad of stormtroopers. The white-clad soldiers levelled their weapons and fired, spitting stun-bolts at the three children. The girl dived behind the desk for cover, and the boy ducked back into the bedroom. The Noghri was caught out in the open. With a bloodcurdling shriek he ran at the stormtroopers, knife in hand. Somehow he was able to avoid the stun-bolts and he cannoned into the soldiers, striking left and right with his knife. Blood splashed over the white armour and two of the stormtroopers went down. Drawing his blaster, Decado fired a single shot into the Noghri’s back. The grey skinned alien collapsed and from the bedroom Kalast heard the boy scream something incomprehensible. It took a moment to realise that the guttural sound was a name.

‘Kurukh!’

The remaining stormtroopers flooded into the room, knocking the two children to the floor and getting stun-cuffs on their wrists. The girl fought like a leopard, biting, hissing scratching but eventually they had her under control. Kalast glanced down at his uniform. It was ripped and bloody, but the wound was little more than a scratch. Sighing with relief, he looked up at Decado.

‘Thank you Captain.’

Decado gave him a grim smile. ‘Just doing my duty sir.’ He hooked a boot under the unconscious Noghri. ‘Get this one to the medical bay, but keep him under guard. Take the other two to the detention block,’ he ordered the stormtroopers.

‘Who in the galaxy are they?’ said Kalast as the three children were dragged off. The girl glared at him, pure hatred in her eyes, but the boy hung his head, looking utterly defeated.

‘Some of the Emperor’s Inquisitor initiates. I’d bet my life on it,’ said Decado, stepping in to examine his superior’s wound. ‘I’ve heard rumours that the Emperor likes to test their assassination skills on traitors.’

‘Traitors?’ Kalast felt his stomach clench. ‘Do you think he knows?’

‘Probably. We should leave this system immediately. Who knows what the Emperor had planned in case his assassins failed him.’

‘They almost succeeded,’ said Kalast. ‘You’re right. Contact the bridge. Tell them to shut down all communications and tell them to jump to hyperspace at once.’

‘Where are we going?’

‘System ST-1802 in the Corellian Sector. It’s uninhabited. I identified it as a good fall-back position if anything were to go wrong. I have a contact who will meet us there.’

The Avenger’s captain nodded and turned to carry out his orders. Kalast called out to him. ‘I owe you my life Decado. I won’t forget that.’

Decado nodded and shot Kalast a smile. ‘We’re in this together sir. Until the end.’

18. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Lord Vader is not going to be pleased about this. Though the weapons being sabotaged ... almost seems to be Palpatine's way of perhaps removing a boy who might become a problem for him one day. But this all backfired ... or did it?

So many more things can happen in this fanfic. I am glad you are continuing this gaarastar58.

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I just did some extreme binging with your last updates and as a kindergarten teacher I am of course flabbergasted about the way Sith handle children, even though this comes to me as no great surprise at all.

They were not the stories of ordinary children, full of adventure and daring, of distant planets and far off heroes. Such tales were of no use to them.

Somehow, in ways the children did not understand, something was happening to their minds. Whether it was the training, or the strange conversations they each had with the Acolyte or… something else, they could not be sure, but they were losing their memories. The realisation had crept up on them slowly, so that by the time any of them noticed the change they had already lost huge chunks of their past. Now the only memories that came easily to them were the unhappy ones, memories of being bullied, of being sad, of grief. All their joy and the happiness had been leeched away from them bit by bit.

Your story crawled deep under my skin, especially your Luke tries to be sweet, gentle against all odds. Against the iron Sith rule in his life.

I hope that Maul does not win. As much as I hope that Vader remembers that he is a father.

As a believer of the goddess (can´t believe that I really say that in public now... ah well!), I learned to understand her 4th aspect with is hidden in the official trinity (= maiden, mother, cone).

When I had this unbelievingly tough time the past months, especially the last three months, it helped me that one of my kindergarten children had drawn the Morrígan for me. (I had talked to him and some older kids of my former kindergarten group about her, when we spoke about birds in world-wide legends and myths. This was part of our project about birds.) The painting still hangs near the entrance door of my flat, in which I live with my Dutch husband DarthUncle. It reminds me that pain, fear and darkness are necessary to find the way back to the light.

I hope that Luke will find a way back to the light, despite all the dirty tricks Maul uses to turn him.

(For some reason I have RUNRIG´S song "Running to the light" in my mind now, tsk!)

And please... le do thoil... start tagging me! I started a new job two weeks ago and I am still busy fitting in nicely (including to learn more than 71 children names & remembering everything nuns of the Order of Saint Francis taught me about Maria Montessori about twenty years ago). Therefore I might not be always alert to updates of this fanfic, that is really a gem. And you are a real
    sárscéalaí... master storyteller. I would always reserve the best place in front of a fire for you.

20. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    Thanks so much for the feedback and sorry it has taken so long to reply. Oalpatine is definitely playing the long game with Vader, we'll just have to wait and see to find out if Vader can out-outmaneuver him! The rest of the story is finished apart from a single chapter so more will be posted regularly from now on. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for the kind feedback! In my work I regularly come up against some horrible stuff and it is the young people I work with who always get me through, despite all the crap they are going through themselves. It was pretty hard to write such awful things happening to Luke and his friends, especially when it came to writing Matthyu's death scene. As for Vader, he definitely has some big decisions coming up, especially as his inevitable confrontation with Ben approaches and he has to figure out a way to outwit Palpatine. He might have some unlikely allies however.Will definitely tag you from now on, I'm so glad you've enjoyed the story so far!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  21. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Tá failte romhat!/ You are very welcome!/ Gern geschehen!/ Graag gedaan!/ Avec plaisir! proszę, nie ma za co!

When working with children & youngsters you see the light & the darkness. Sometimes even the balance.

Keep up your good work in RL & here on the boards.

And happy Easter! My Dutch husband is not willing to walk with me to a nearby Easter fire, so we watch "STAR TRECK: Into darkness" on German television instead.

And this is where Luke goes in your fic: into darkness. But one can learn to navigate in it, defy it! I hope this is what he will do.

Otherwise some lines of the song "An toll dubh" (The dungeon) from the RUNRIG album "Proterra" (2003) comes true:

Taobh cùl an dorais cha bhi grian
    Suidh aig bòrd
    Cha bhi biadh 's cha bhi fìon
    Taobh cùl an dorais cha bhi grian

Translation:

On the other side of the door there will be no sun
    Sitting at the table
    There will be no food and no wine
    On the other side of the door there will be no sun
    There will be no food and no wine

I hope that Luke will fight against the darkness, around him & within him. That he will go through it and end up in the light again, taking his father with him.

gaarastar58 likes this.
  22. gaarastar58

Dec 19, 2010
    tagging Jedi_Perigrine and AzureAngel2

Chapter 16

Ben heard the shuttle before he saw it. It soared out of the low-hanging cloud above the enclave, wings folding inwards as it prepared to land. The craft was sleek and plated with chrome, reminding him uncomfortably of the vessels flown by the Naboo. He saw Ahsoka striding in the direction of the landing pads and he hurried to join her.

‘What’s going on?’

‘Trouble,’ she said, somewhat unhelpfully.

Kota arrived at the same time as them. The shuttle was down now, its repulsor jets kicking up dust from the ground. A few members of the ground crew ran forward but Kota ordered them to stay back.

‘Everyone, clear the area,’ he shouted. The mechanics and pilots scattered at his command. Ben saw Kota shoot an unreadable look at Ahsoka.

‘Who’s on board?’ Ben asked.

‘One of our allies,’ said Kota. ‘Very few rebels are aware of his involvement in our cause, he likes to stay in the background. He doesn’t often come in person, and since he didn’t communicate that he was coming something big must be going on.’

Ben flicked his eyes to the side and spotted Fives sitting on a plasteel container a little way off. Kota followed his gaze. ‘He’s alright. I didn’t think much of the clones during the war, but without Fives there would be no rebellion. He’s been around longer than me, even longer than Ahsoka.’

The landing ramp of the shuttle descended and steam whooshed around the figure that disembarked. ‘Senator Organa,’ said Kota, bowing. ‘It’s good to see you.’

Bail Organa nodded to the grizzled old Jedi Master, his discerning gaze sweeping the area. ‘Not out here Rahm,’ he said, taking off towards the enclave. The others followed him. He led them to the command centre. Stepping inside, the Alderaanian senator addressed the rebels working inside.

‘Give us the room,’ he said. The rebels filed out without a word.

‘I do like your dramatic entrances, senator,’ said Kota in a mild voice.

‘I’m sorry old friend, I couldn’t risk contacting you, even on our encrypted channels. I’ve just received word that could alter the balance of power in our struggle against the Empire.’

‘We’re listening.’

‘Apparently Moff Kalast has the plans for the Death Star in his possession and is willing to sell them to the rebellion.’

A silence greeted his words. Ben broke it first. ‘What’s the Death Star?’

Ahsoka answered him. ‘A weapon of ultimate destruction. It’s the Empire’s most closely guarded secret, a massive space station that could theoretically destroy an entire planet. For a while we thought it was just a myth, something the ISB made up as a distraction to keep our intelligence network occupied, but there’s enough evidence to prove that exists.’

‘Nobody knows where it’s being built,’ put in Kota, his eyes not leaving Bail. ‘But our sources indicate it’s still years away from being operational. How reliable is your source?’

‘This comes directly from Vox,’ said Bail.

Kota’s eyes narrowed and he shot a look at the shadowy figure of Fives in the corner. ‘I prefer to trust my own sources,’ he said.

‘I trust Vox,’ murmured Fives, with a slight edge to his voice.

‘One of these days you’re going to let me in on your little secret, Fives,’ said Kota. ‘I’d love to know who this source is that you trust so completely that gives you access to top secret Imperial data.’

Fives said nothing, and in the shadows it was impossible to discern his expression.

‘The information Vox has provided us has always been accurate,’ interjected Bail. ‘What’s important is that if the Death Star should ever completed the rebellion would be finished. Our only hope is a pre-emptive strike, before it becomes operational. Kalast has obtained a set of schematics, construction timetables and the location of the construction site.’

‘And he’s just going to hand this information over to us? A high-ranking Imperial?’ said Kota sceptically.

‘Hardly. I’ve obtained intelligence from Kalast before. He’s corrupt and self-centred, but he’s always been reliable. At first he was offering to sell the information for an exorbitant amount of credits. We would bankrupt the rebellion just purchasing the plans.’

‘Something must have changed, or else you wouldn’t be here,’ said Kota.

Bail nodded. ‘Two days ago assassins broke into Kalast’s stateroom aboard his flagship, the Avenger. It appears the Emperor has discovered his treachery. Kalast has offered to bargain the information to us in exchange for amnesty. And a small fortune, but much less than he would have liked.’

‘It all sounds a little too good to be true,’ said Ben, stroking his beard.

‘It gets worse,’ said Bail. ‘Kalast thinks the assassins were a group of children being trained as Inquisitors. He described them to me. One was an alien I hadn’t heard of, Noghri I think he called him, the others were a red-haired girl, and a blond-haired boy about twelve years old.’

Ben’s skin went cold. He turned away from the group, staring at nothing. Behind him he heard the others talking but there was a roaring in his ears. His fingers found the hilt of his lightsaber. He spun around and interrupted Kota.

‘I have to go,’ he said.

Ahsoka looked at him uneasily. ‘It must be a trap. The whole thing is too neat. The Emperor wants to draw us out and he knows that if Luke’s there you’ll come out of hiding. He can take care of two problems at once.’

‘We have no choice. This could be our one chance to save Luke.’

‘General Kenobi is right.’ A voice spoke up from the back of the room and they turned to see Fives step out of the shadows, his gauntleted arms crossed across his chest. ‘We have no choice. This could be our only chance to rescue General Skywalker’s son, and it will definitely be the only chance we have of acquiring the Death Star plans.’

‘I hate to say it but I agree,’ said Bail. ‘This is one trap we might have to walk into.’

‘That’s easy for you to say,’ spat Kota. ‘It’s not you that has to risk your life in combat. You don’t have to live with the faces of soldiers who have died under your command! My troops are ready to give their lives, but I don’t want them to die for nothing while you hide in the senate.’

Bail said nothing, he just stared at Kota, eyes hooded in the dim light. Ahsoka stepped between them. ‘That’s not fair Rahm.’ Kota growled and looked away.

‘I’ll go.’ Ben was surprised to find that it was he who had spoken. ‘I’ll rescue Luke. And bring back the Death Star plans.’

Every eye in the room turned to look at him. It was Bail who spoke first. ‘You know he’ll be waiting for you. Vader.’

Ben licked his lips. ‘I know.

Ahsoka stepped up beside him. ‘I’ll go with you.’

Ben was about to open his mouth to protest but Fives stepped forward. ‘Count me in General. It’s been too long since I’ve had a proper fight.’ He stared pointedly at Kota, who crossed his arms and grumbled to himself before speaking.

‘Might as well go along I guess. I always did want to take a crack at Vader.’

Bail looked around the group. ‘Then it’s decided.’ As Ben turned to leave he reached out and grabbed his arm, leaning in close to whisper in his ear. ‘Have you told Ahsoka about Anakin?’

Ben shook his head. ‘It wouldn’t do any good.’

‘It’s your decision, but if you’re going to face him she should at least know who it is she’s fighting against.’

‘Anakin is dead. When the time comes I don’t want her to hesitate.’

‘And you, old friend? When the time comes, will you let mercy hold you back?’

‘No senator. I won’t make the same mistake twice.’

Chyntuck and AzureAngel2 like this.
  23. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Oh it is ON now.

The problem is, while Obi-Wan has been in hiding, Vader has been honing his skills by slaughtering as many Jedi as he can find. It's true that Obi-Wan was able to best an agent and a turncoat Jedi, but Vader knows how he fights and he won't give Obi-Wan the chance to kill him due to overconfidence this time. Ahsoka would be a nice touch in fighting him, but Vader also knows how she fights ... and if Obi-Wan doesn't tell her the truth, he will use that against her in a Dun Moch galore. Of course, Ahsoka has also learned a few new tricks since they last knew each other. But Obi-Wan might be making a tremendous mistake. And even if Obi-Wan manages to beat him, what will it cost him this time? It almost cost him his soul the first time around ...

There is something going on here. It won't be nearly so simple. Also, I'm curious. We have Fives in this scenario, but where is Rex? Unless he's not in this form of canon that you're using or that you've made yourself. This is going to prove most interesting.

gaarastar58 and AzureAngel2 like this.
  24. Starkiller_Ren

Starkiller_Ren Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2015
    I just binge read all of this last night, and I absolutely love this so far. It's an awesomely original execution of a cool concept. I love how you bring together these groups of characters; Maul, Cad Bane, Rahm Kota and Ashoka (less of a surprise I suppose, but still an awesome introduction to a great character nonetheless) were all great surprises, and they feel like they belong in this AU, as opposed to just shoehorned in for the sake of having them. I think, in reading this, my favorite has to be Vader; his conflict is superbly written, and it feels very true to the character of Vader. It does appear inevitable that Luke will fall to the Sith, I still find myself intensely hoping he can journey back to the light after all of this (which isn't to say I will be disappointed if he doesn't of course). I eagerly anticipate more chapters, great job with this story

gaarastar58 and AzureAngel2 like this.
  25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Gabh mo leisceal, much real life trouble (even around Easter with the family) & still the new job costing me a lot of energy, even though I love it.

The following lines points out to dark storms ahead:

‘Anakin is dead. When the time comes I don’t want her to hesitate.’

‘And you, old friend? When the time comes, will you let mercy hold you back?’

‘No senator. I won’t make the same mistake twice.’

Well, as I always tell older kindergarten kids that I work with a mercy kill would have been better for Vader on Mustafar, but killing him now without checking if there is still some light left... that would be a great bummer!

gaarastar58 likes this.