main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Montréal Auberge De Méandres

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Meanders, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    pie floater!!!!! not game to try that myself either... just looks terrible, sorry but i am not fond of pies and pasties either.. i can manage sausage rolls though.. =P~

2. GoddessJainaSoloFel

GoddessJainaSoloFel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2004
    I'm fairly open minded and will try just about any type of food once. Having said that, there are certain foods I refuse to try. Topping that list would be deep fried spiders! A friend and co-worker went through Eastern Asia last fall and had spiders for a snack! :eek: [face_sick]

3. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    I've seen a few interesting things like that on my travels in Thailand. Seen, not eaten, although anything deep fried with chilli and garlic all ends up tasting pretty much the same ;)

4. GoddessJainaSoloFel

Nov 18, 2004
    So D_M, what are some of the more pleasent things you've tried on your travels abroad?

5. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    I had some nice Fish and Chip's in Ottawa once. The company was pretty good as well ;)

Peking Duck in Beijing was yummy. The Cholco de pastel in Santiago is really good. And waaaay too much excellent Thai food.

6. GoddessJainaSoloFel

Nov 18, 2004
    You are a charmer! :) I think the most unusual things I've tried would be poi in Hawaii, frogs' legs here, emu meat also here and I guess everything else would be considered normal.

7. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    So.... do you get a lot of emus wandering around Montreal?

8. GoddessJainaSoloFel

Nov 18, 2004
    Erm, no. The only Emu we have here are found in the frozen produce section of the grocer's.

9. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] ... that's pretty much the same here in Adelaide. But drive about 320kms north of here and you'll see them alive ... or as roadkill. We'll have to take you while you're here, Goddess!

So what does emu taste like?? Chicken?? :p

10. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Reminds me of a friend who had kangaroo meat

Personally, I rather not be that adventurous ;)

11. GoddessJainaSoloFel

Nov 18, 2004
    I don't mind trying new things. You never know what you're missing unless you try it! There could be some very pleasent surprises! :)

12. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Kangaroo meat is actually very nice! It's quite unique in that apparently it contains no cholesterol! So is healthy.

13. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol I am more worried about calories at the moment :(

14. Sonya_Antana-Sky

Sonya_Antana-Sky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2005
    Hi!

Well...I know what you mean...I don't know about emu meat, but ostrish and caribou and quite nice in a fondue...and yes, in Montreal, you'll find them in the same state as the emu, lol, thought we have lots of raccoons. Maybe it's great too? :D

15. GoddessJainaSoloFel

Nov 18, 2004
    Amber: You really don't need to worry about caliroes that much! I say enjoy what you eat and don't worry about what it does to you. As soon as you concentrate on how much you eat, the food ceases to be enjoyable anymore! :)

Sonya: It's so nice to see you here again! It's been a while. :) Hmmm, Racoon meat... I would have never thought of trying it but I guess it's an option as well!

16. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Food has always been my enemy, I eat when I am depressed. When I lived up north in England I ended up feeling very alone so got depressed and ate. I put on 5 stones and up 4/5 clothes sizes which ended up being a horrid cycle as I end up being depressed about my weight.

I seemed to have lost weight though as clothes from last year are now baggy.

At least I am being good this summer though, I am trying to keep active as if I sit at home by the computer I eat more so trying to do housework, looking after the rabbits, exercise......not going to Timmy's and getting doughnuts or muffins :p

Helps Mike hurt himself this weekend so been looking after him.....sure he did it on purpose o_O

Actually on the topic of food, has anyone had Haggis before? ;)

17. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    Mmmmmmm... rabbits =P~

I had Haggis described to me ... once they get to the part about sheep's stomach I lose interest [face_laugh]

18. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    No eating my rabbits! :p

Actually Haggis is nice, can be a it dry but tastes good with cranberry sauce ;)

19. GoddessJainaSoloFel

Nov 18, 2004
    D_M no eating Amber's rabbits! She wouldn't care for you much if you turned her pets into rabbit stew! ;)

Amber, I've never tried Haggis before but have seen it several times as a child. I think I'd be more apt to try it now then when I was little. As you get older you tend to get more adventuresome ;)

20. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol I don't know. I had black pudding as a child, I stopped eating it once I found out what it was made of :p

21. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    And that it was also used in 'Ecky-Thump'

I'm not necessarily going to eat your rabbits Amber. I was speaking in general terms.

22. GoddessJainaSoloFel

Nov 18, 2004
    Hmmm, I'm not quite clear on what "Ecky-Thump" is supposed to be... :confused: The link you posted gives us the Wikipedia listing for "The Goodies"

I'm fairly certain that Amber will be relieved to hear you weren't intending to turn her pets into stew! I'm not sure I'd be able to eat rabbit after spending so much time with hers. They really are cute animals!

23. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    ..... the episode "Kung Fu Kapers" in which Tim Brooke-Taylor, dressed as a kilted Scotsman, used a set of bagpipes to defend himself from a psychopathic black pudding (from the Lancastrian martial art "Ecky-Thump") in a demonstration of the Scottish martial art of "Hoots-Toot-ochaye." ..

I thought it was pretty obvious [face_laugh]

Did the Goodies not make it to Canada?

24. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    A Grand Master of Ecky Thump if I recall correctly...

25. GoddessJainaSoloFel

Nov 18, 2004
    *Listens and smiles and nods as I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!*

Erm, if they made it to Canada, I never heard of them. It is possible that they did and I just never saw the show....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.