main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Auburn's trees poisoned... man arrested

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Making a separate thread for this since it doesn't technically fall under any existing thread, but is still sports-related...

So on Jan 27, some guy calling himself "Al from Dadeville" called into an Alabama radio network and announced that "The weekend after the Iron Bowl, I went to Auburn, Ala., because I live 30 miles away, and I poisoned the Toomer's trees."

They've now made an arrest, and charged him with one count of first-degree criminal mischief... if convicted, he could face one to 10 years in prison.

Trees poisoned
    Arrest made

On the surface, yeah, they're just trees... but those trees were landmarks and part of Auburn's history. Poisoning them was pretty despicable. And apparently he used massive amounts of the herbicide, way, way more than necessary to kill them - the smallest amount in any sample was "very lethal" and other samples were 65 times that amount.

2. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Does Tunick have an alibi?

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Pretty clear it was an Alabama fan, though this is a pretty poor way to show one's fanhood.

I'd be more tempted to ask about Rohniss, but he hasn't posted on here in years. Not even when Alabama won the title last year.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I've seen a pic of Rohniss, it isn't him.

This is disturbing. A fandom should not cause damage to anything. I don't care if they are 'just trees'.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Completely agreed. And apparently the guy was 62 years old, so not some crazy college kid on a stupid dare.

Also, the time and effort it takes to get that quantity of the herbicide, which apparently isn't something you can just pick up at your local garden store or anything, actually carrying it through, then calling in to a radio show to brag about it nearly two months later... that just makes it even worse.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've got nothing to say about this, because if I do, it will start a **** storm.:p

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The person who did this is an idiot, and if it was a 'Bama fan, that person doesn't really understand rivalry.

I think Clark Griswald's rant about his boss and lack of a Christmas bonus is probably the best way to describe it all.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Given that the caller who took credit ended the call with "Roll Damn Tide"... I think we can safely say it was a Bama fan. Who definitely does not understand rivalry.

9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    This is way beyond a prank on a rival to the completely classless.

These things shouldn't happen anywhere, especially related to college athletics.

10. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Make him drink some of the herbicide as punishment. Douche.

11. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Seriously, some sports fans, need to get lives. This is sports, games that we watch other people play. If you find yourself getting so worked up about a loss that you plan to actively destroy something, anything, you need to take a step back and think about your life. You are taking sports too seriously.

The recent Packers/Bears championship game was a huge game, but if the Packers had lost, I would felt like crap for a while, been kind of pissed off, and then moved on to root for the Steelers in the Superbowl. I would not have driven down to Chicago and looked for a historical landmark to destroy.

What this guy did, actually, kind of disgusts me.

12. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Such a tragedy. I read on si.com that it could be considered murder of both a living thing and a tradition. Such a shame. College was enjoyable primarily because of the traditions and memories associated with those traditions. I mourn with Auburn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.