main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Auction in Aid of SW Artist Dave Dorman

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Joe Corroney, well-known Star Wars artist, posted the following on the EU Community Board. I got Mike's permission to repost it in Collecting.

Dave is a well known Star Wars artist and a personal influence of mine so I thought I'd share this chance for everyone to help him out and possibly pick up some great, original artwork in the process. Check out the following story and
    FriendsofDaveDorman for more...

Date: September 21, 2004
    Publicist
    WriteBrain Media
    P: 850.609.0197
    F: 850.651.5428
    E: denise@writebrainmedia.com

#1 Star Wars Artist Dave Dorman Devastated by Hurricane Ivan: Artist Friends Launch Web Site to Ease Dorman's Expenses

Summary: Dave Dorman's business partner, Steve Smith, launched
    FriendsofDaveDorman to help the #1 Star Wars Artist of All Times defray costs of damages incurred by Hurricane Ivan to his Florida Panhandle home.

FLORIDA PANHANDLE<sup>~</sup>All of the light sabers on George Lucas' planet Tattoine couldn't defend #1 Star Wars Artist Dave Dorman from the devastation his home incurred from Hurricane Ivan this past
    Thursday. Luckily, Dorman, a longtime friend and supporter to illustrator colleagues worldwide, is getting by with a little help from his friends. Business partner Steve Smith has launched a philanthropic Web site,
    FODD
    where illustrators can donate their works to help defray the costs of the extensive damage to Dorman's Florida Panhandle home.

At 2 a.m. on September 16, 2004, a tornado clipped the roof of Dorman's home, causing extensive water damage to the interior. Although Dorman's art studio and oil paintings were not affected, the home is largely uninhabitable, and Dorman's wife is eight-and-a-half months pregnant. "I am humbled and overwhelmed by the kindnesses shown to me by my illustrator friends, many of whom I've never had the pleasure of meeting in person," Dorman said. "I hope to repay them someday, somehow."

For more information on Dave Dorman, please visit
    DaveDorman.com
    or for Dorman's creation, The Wasted Lands, please visit the Web site at
    Wasted Lands

2. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Thanks for reposting this...I really hope their auction goes well. I plan on checking out the auction tomorrow night.

A lot of people have an incorrect perception about the wealth of artists and authors who are contracted for Star Wars work. Just because someone draws a comic or writes a book in the Star Wars universe, it doesn't mean they're any better off financially than most of us. I can't imagine having my home essentially destroyed by a natural disaster...so I really hope Dave and his wife get the help that they need.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Sure hope it's successful, and I wish he and the
    residents of Florida and Alabama my prayers and
    best wishes. I will keep my eye on it.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I do hope Dave Dorman didn't get whacked again by Jeanne - sounds like Ivan was bad enough! I have noticed that the website hasn't yet been updated for the auction.

5. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I met Dave Dorman at SDCC. He's a really nice guy.
    He's made enough money for GL, he should just buy him a new house, complete with flanel furniture :p

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Upping this because I have noticed that the eBay art auctions are up with about 3 days left to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.