main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Audience reaction to Kylo as a Solo?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Allana_Rey, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I know most of us on here expected Kylo Ren to be revealed as the son to Han and Leia but how did the general audience in your theater react? Was anyone shocked? I've seen the movie four times and no one in any viewing besides my mother seemed shocked.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

2. darth elyk

darth elyk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    No shock from the audience in the times I have seen it. Big 3 show up, huge reaction though... (off topic, sorry).

3. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    I guess people who went spoiler-free probably guessed Kylo was a Skywalker when Lor San Tekka talked about his family and him coming from the light, so when it was revealed he was Han and Leia's son no one was really surprised. It wasn't a big twist.

Solo-Skywalker likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I heard a few gasps on the Thursday nite show.

5. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I did hear an audible breath go through the crowd at the 7pm showing when Snoke revealed the parentage. There was lots of laughter throughout, but when Han hollered BEN! there was dead silence from then on til the end of that scene.

Rancor Keeper likes this.
  6. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013

Yeah Same here! No real whoop! But cheers when the Original Characters show up.

7. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    At the second viewing of TFA for me, as soon as Snoke said, "...Han Solo, your father" a guy in the audience went, "wha-AAAT?" and the whole theater erupted into laughter. I think it took three minutes to get my daughter to stop giggling. My first reaction to Kylo as Han's son was to wonder if he was Han and Leia's son. When Han confirmed it in his conversation to Leia, I had a momentary tick of happiness that they'd actually gotten together long enough to have a son, and had some hope that there was...well hope for them. Well, that hope and happiness went downhill pretty fast.... :_|

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    My audience was silent..

9. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    No reaction apart from when I took my mum to see the film. Then, one loud voice "HE JUST KILLED HIS FATHER'!" from the seat next to mine.

10. Solo-Skywalker

Solo-Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2014
    I've seen it many times; as I've watched the reveal itself by Snoke usually gets the "ohh" and "a exhale angst" but nothing compares to the hush of silence, like others have stated when Han yells - "BEN"; there were very few times I got goosebumps throughout TFA and this moment and later in the scene when Chewbacca went Wookie were two of them.

MattOrgana likes this.
  11. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Generally it seemed like they took a strange middle ground with Kylo, early on they did seem to be trying to keep it a mystery but ultimately the truth came out rather limply without a great deal of drama.

Would have worked much better going either direction IMHO, either keep Kylo a mystery and have the confrontation with Han be the first time he's revealed as his son and takes the mask off or focus on it a lot more and have a good deal of build up to the character and Han via having him discuss Ben with Rey and Finn.

12. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Nothing much for the people in the theater, during my two viewings of TFA, but there was some clapping when the iconic SW theme played at the start of the movie though, just before the scrolling text...

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  13. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    The fourth time I saw it, I took my mom. She went in spoiler-free of course because she's not a huge fan and was mainly just going to be with her now-much-older son.

She loved the film and I loved her little reactions throughout. She clapped to herself and giggled when the X-Wings attacked for the first time, said 'aah.." when Snoke revealed Kylo's parentage....and she gasped when Han died. Didn't see it coming at all.

It was a great movie-going experience for both of us.

ThreeDeathstickProblem and panki like this.
  14. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    No reaction in my audience.

I was one of the die-hard rumor-readers heading into the movie, so I figured Han Solo would die (I just didn't know how), and I did have my bets on Kylo Ren being Han's son. However, once the movie began I honestly kind of forgot about the idea that Kylo Ren could be Han's son. I didn't think about it until Snoke stated it; I was just enjoying the movie.

My audience was silent when Snoke said "...your father, Han...Solo." No reaction whatsoever. There were no audible reactions to anything except laughter for the few funny lines in the movie. In a way I feel like Snoke's line of Han Solo being Ren's father was either difficult to understand or that it just didn't register right away with the audience. I know that for casual fans, like some of my relatives...they were asking me after the movie, "So, Kylo Ren was Han Solo's son?" as if they weren't entirely sure. I said "Yes, don't you remember when Snoke (the big hologram) said that the map was in possession of the droid with his father, Han Solo" and their reply was just "Eh, kind of."

There was also no audible reaction to Luke's appearance at the end, but I think people were just astounded with pure joy and sadness at the same time. The first two times I saw the movie, after that final scene, I was just like, "Wow." But the 3rd and 4th times I saw it, tears actually broke out of my eyes as I began to let my emotions out.

15. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Seen it four times, and definitely heard a few "whaaatt?!?!"s.

16. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    I wasn't surprised for 2 reasons:

1. I heard a few spoilers throughout 2015 that basically stated it.

and

2. Adam Driver kinda resembles young Harrison Ford.

17. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
  18. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    I went in spoiler free and I had no clue he was Leia & Han's child. Finding out in the movie was a surprise. After that, Leia & Han had a bewildered sorrow around them, like the parents in We Need To Talk About Kevin. I never anticipated that, I was sure they were going to have this happily-ever-after vibe, they kinda earned it from the previous films.

This movie was way more than I expected it to be.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Audiance was dead silent through the whole movie (everytime i've seen it), As an Audience bloody well should be! We're British we're don't get too excited or emotional! :p

20. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    no reaction from my audience.

21. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Gave my own reaction but forgot to answer the question...

I think some people in the audience at my viewings were surprised because I also heard a few gasps in the theater when it was revealed.

22. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    Not much reaction, and personally I kind of expect it so I wasn't that surprised.:rolleyes:

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Most probably reacted the same way I did; with an internal "No way!" and an external "------------------".

Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  24. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Replied to wrong post sorry

25. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Now THAT'S creepy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.