main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Audience reaction to Kylo as a Solo?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Allana_Rey, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Silence doesn't necessarily equate to no reaction though...I was stunned but did not gasp or whatever. Maybe others in the audience were like me, jaw dropped, heart pounding and just THINKING stuff like; Holy Crap No Freaking Waaaaaaaayyyyyyy". Not everyone emotes out loud lol.

2. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I heard a few people say "Ooooh S&*T!!!" in my audience.

I have to say, the audience I saw it with was great. They applauded and cheered in all the right spots, but then got quiet again when the moment passed. So it had the fun feeling of being with an enthusiastic crowd, yet it didn't prevent me from hearing what was going on.

3. LordTruth

LordTruth Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2016
    @ 18:46 reaction to Solo as Kylo's father

thejeditraitor, Cynda and Howard Hand like this.
  4. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    We had the deadest audience in the theater I went to... NOTHING was heard... I don't know if that was good or bad. I was expecting it, thanks to some crazies who just couldn't keep quiet, but I was still a bit shocked. I was expecting a younger guy with lighter hair... but Adam did a good job. I think I might have gasped but even my bros were silent...

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    There were 5 other people in the theater.

6. thescavenger

thescavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    Okay, so I was that person who went 'whaatttt?'. But I did have my suspicions since the Lor San Tekka scene, and then the Kylo/Snoke scene confirmed it.

Allana_Rey likes this.
  7. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I don't remember my theater's audience really reacting, but I was definitely surprised, shocked, and stunned, which then turned into happiness, because Han and Leia had a kid, and I hadn't thought they would in the new movie.

8. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Pain and Suffering Yeah, when the whole thing about the EU being "discarded" came out, I thought that they wouldn't have kids or would have a totally different future. But instead, they have a son (who is named after a person in their past) and he turns to the Dark Side (just like Jacen did)...

9. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    In my first view, many people was surprise with this, in the second and rest, not surprise.

10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It surprised me, along with the Vader mask. I went into the movie knowing nothing about this black caped masked person I was seeing popping up in pictures over the last year and definitely never thought that he could be related to Han or Leia or Luke. I had no hints of it either since I'm not familiar with the Expanded Universe stuff. The only relation I thought was likely was that Daisy Ridley was going to be the daughter of Han and Leia, which became less expected as I saw images of her in the desert and in those clothes, so that was one of the things I really didn't want spoiled.

11. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I remember my theater reacting with gasps. I remember because I was spoiled and for some reason thought it was common knowledge so I wasn't expecting the reactions.

In hindsight, though, it seems odd that it wasn't something that my friends or family really brought up to discuss after we saw the movie.

I always assumed the new trilogy would have offspring of the OT3. I figured the EU was thrown out primarily because Disney wanted to do their own take on that exact concept.

12. RinaRayLove

RinaRayLove Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2016
    My brother said he knew it would happen after seeing the lighting coming from half dark n half light to all dark. He said that wen it happened.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    boo.

14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I'd normally agree with you but the audience reaction really enhanced my enjoyment of this movie in particular.

LordTruth and rowan_greenleaf like this.
  15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It was clear that the Kylo Ren/Ben Solo character was definitely well-received by the crowd in my theater. The impression I was left with was that Kylo stole the show from among the new characters (though my four year old daughter could be heard saying "Go, Rey!" during the lightsaber duel). :)

I don't recall any particular reaction when Ben was revealed as Han and Leia's boy. I can say that the recollection shared earlier by a member -- that from the moment Han shouted "Ben," right through to the end of the scene, the theater was absolutely silent/still -- was very reminiscent of my experience, as well.

The only really notable reactions I observed in my theater (beyond the requisite laughter, audience murmurs and general excitement during particular passages) occurred during the entrances for each of the OT3.

And of these, the biggest response of the night was reserved for Luke's eventual reveal at the end of the film. Folks were actually clapping and cheering when Mark Hamill's face was put up in the screen (including, again, my little girl: "It's Luke, Daddy! It's Luke!!"). :)

16. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    Not much shock, but that's a good thing IMO. I liked how they gave the audience that information in a very casual way early in the movie. Would have been too much if the reveal was on the bridge before his death.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.