main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Audio Book Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediTrilobite, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't think that I've ever seen this discussed at all here: Audio books.

Who has them, and what do you think of them?

I've gotten several, the first eight or so of the New Jedi Order, Revenge of the Sith and The Phantom Menace. I've enjoyed all of them, although I don't listen too much.

2. Sand_Hill

Sand_Hill Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    I used to like them alot. When they're good they're almost like radio plays of the novels, with the music and sound effects and all, but I just don't think they are worth the money usually.

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I got my copy of Revenge of the Sith from the DelRey people for helping out. :D

That's a good listen, although having thebook, I don't think that I would have bought it otherwise.

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I like the full cast dramatizations, but not the plain narrated audio books.

5. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I have DE and DEII. They both have great sound effects and voice acting. I have been trying to find EE but have had no luck.

6. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I love the audio dramas, but am not a huge fan of audio books. The NPR movie dramatizations were top notch, and I also enjoyed Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Do you need software to play them, or are they actual cassettes, CDs? I might consider Game of Thrones' audio some day.

8. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I like the Thrawn trilogy audio books cause they're read by actual star wars actors (Denis Lawson and Anthony Daniels). I liked the Dark Empire audio drama sine they cast people as the characters, but I wasn't a big fan of the storyline.

I like the idea of a cast of characters reading - much better than having a male reader trying to do a female voice. *rolls eyes*

9. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    Excellence, they come in cassette and CD form. No special software required (for the ones I've got, anyway.)

10. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Ah. I must have been thinking of the online smaples. I didn't want to load unknown software.

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    We have discussed them here numerous times in the years I've been on this forum, though that is not to say you may have been involved in said discussions, JediTrilobite.

Often, within the first two years of my time here, when the subject was broached there would be people yelling about folks being too lazy to read the book in question because they listened to the audiobook. Indeed, there probably were some folks who were so lazy and they could be caught up do to the fact that the audiobooks are abridged. But at the same time there are those of us who enjoy the audiobooks, but only after we have read the book first so that we can see just how badly abridged the whole thing is.

Several years ago I got the audiobook of Vision of the Future from one of my sisters either for Chirstmas or my birthday, I can't remember which now due to the fact that it has been some time ago and the fact that my birthday is almost two weeks before Christmas so that after a long enough period of time it becomes a little harder for me to remember which it was for unless the recieving of the gift is something so memorable that when I got it sticks with me for pratically ever. Anyway I had already read the book and was extremely shocked to find like half or better of the thing missing from the audiobook. So it is one of those things that really you should read the book before you listen to the audiobook so you can determine what is missing and how good a job the folks who made the audiobook did of telling the story.

And remember folks that are times and places where the audiobook has an adavantage over being able to read the book before you say no one should bother with the audiobook. The biggest of these is when you are driving, not exactly something folks are going to appreciate if they see you behind the wheel with a book in your face rather than paying attention to the road ahead of you.

Then there are audio dramas, which are totally different from the audiobooks. For one the audiobooks are read by a single person, whereas the audio dramas are actually cast oriented. There are some audiobook readers I've heard in non-SW audiobooks who do a very good job with the opposite gender, with distinguishing different characters, and with doing different accents. In fact one or two may be so good with all of these that you may wonder if it is indeed just one person doing the reading. But a cast helps to cut down on the chances that an individual reader can not preform any or all of these very well. And the larger the cast, the more you only have to worry about accents over gender and different characters.

Another reason the audio dramas are totally different from the audiobooks is because the audiobooks, despite being abridged, are just an audio rehash of the book whereas the audio dramas, at least the SW audio dramas, are more than an audio rehash. They not only tell the story of the book or comic for which they are linked, they also have elements that are not featured in that story. These changes add EU alements to the story that you don't get if you strictly stick to the written story.

12. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    ?????

Why would people yell that audio books are for those lazy to read books. Are you serious, Knight? What dewback did they eat that morning?

13. Jade40291

Jade40291 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    I actually have collected them all, and they're pretty much like the books, some are good, some are bad. Particularly, I enjoy full cast dramas, especially the Jedi Knight series, about Kyle Katarn.

Also the OT radio dramas are very good, and expand on the movies pretty well.

14. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    I have DE and DEII. They both have great sound effects and voice acting. I have been trying to find EE but have had no luck.

Empire's End was only available as part of the Collector's Edition boxed set released almost a decade ago. Impossible to find, even on ePay. :(

15. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Why would people yell that audio books are for those lazy to read books. Are you serious, Knight? What dewback did they eat that morning?

One hundred percent serious, Excellence. The arguement was that it was akin to reading CliffsNotes or listening to an audiobook when you have to do a book report for school instead of doing the reading itself. It's a sound arguement as it is better to read the book than strictly use the others so that you know what's going on in greater detail. But I've never had a problem with audiobooks as long as I've actually read the book itself. And as I've already said, there are times when you can't afford to read the book but you still want to be able to enjoy it, and the audiobook lets you do just that.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    And suppose peole were blind or illerate to read. Those naysayers must've been telepathic.

17. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    illerate peole? hmmm.... exullense has a pseling problum.

answering the initial question: i have the Dark Empire Collector's Edition (CD) and the TOTJ audio drama (tape), and a nice copy of the "Story of Star Wars" 8-Track burned onto CD, and somewhere the ANH and ROTJ radio dramas (not audiobooks, but audio)

on audio books in general: not necessarily the lazy way out. -- no where near Cliff's Notes, as that gives you more than just an abridged story, you usually get character analyses, themes, context, and generally hit over the head with stuff to make you understand it without any work. abridged audio books might save you time, but generally i find that i might fall asleep listening to them if i get too comfy without enough visual stimulation.

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Illiterate, I mant to say.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've focused on acquiring the full-cast audio/radio dramaas, but I have picked up a few select audio books- Darksaber (with which I got Hammertong (and, i think, a Nightlily's Tale?) with), COD, DM:SH & Shatterpoint.

The audio books make decent refreshers about a story, and only take a couple hours versus the 3 to 5 days, on average, of actually rereading the whole book.

20. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    I'm pretty sure I have all of the full-cast audio dramas. Nightlily and We Don't Do Weddings are actually more like audio dramas than audio books. It's got a cast, it's just cut in sometimes by a narrator.

21. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I remember the very first thing I got in the EU was the audio book version of The Last Command for Christmas when I was about ten. Opened my eyes to a whole new world :) And since my reading comprehension wasn't at the level to where I could read the novels yet, they were perfect. Mostly I'd listen to them before I'd go to bed. After that I got as many as I could get my hands on. But like it's been said before, some are good, some bad and most of them are highly abridged. I also really liked the ones with the full cast dramas.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I got a copy of the DE CD set last year via Amazon MarketPlace.

So...

"...it's not impossible!"

JB

23. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    But it's impossible now. As in, I've been looking repeatedly over the last few days there and other places I can think of. Nada. :(

24. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    And suppose peole were blind or illerate to read.

People being blind was one of the arguements for the exsistence of audiobooks. Though illiteracy, if it had ever been brought up, would have probably been countered with arguemets such as there is no reason for a person to be illiterate (kind of funny when there are still the occasional commercials in this country about helping to overcome your illiteracy problem which helps remind us that there are people who are so), or illiteracy is just an excuse to listen to the audiobook over reading the book, or by learning to read the book a person could be working to overcome their illiteracy problem. Of course they might also try argueing about the possibility of the book in question being in braille format so as to elliminate the need even there to listen to the audiobook. But I think the question would be if the books are in braille format. If not, then it would be easier for a blind person who enjoys Star Wars and would like to enjoy the books to get a hold of the audiobooks than to waste their time searching for a book that may not be in braille.

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    There's also the fact that some people do a lot of travelling, and thus don't have much time to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.