main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Audio commentary

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by johnthejedi24, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    After watching A New Hope on DVD, and then listening to the commentary afterwards, I discovered that Goerge Lucas changes things ALOT, He describes in no uncertain terms that the movie was ultimately about, Droids/luke/leia/Han/Vader, Can't he make up his fricking mind, is this the person we want running the Star Wars franchise? He seems to change his views after every scene!

What is up?

2. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    is this the person we want running the Star Wars franchise?

You mean the creator? The man who came up with the story? The man who wrote and directed this episode, wrote the story for end executive produced ESB and RotJ, and wrote and directed TPM and AotC? Yeah, I'm happy for him to do what he wants. It's his story.

:p

3. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004

Yes. Now shut up and eat your broccoli :)

4. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    The story is about many different ideas because it's a multi-focused plot with varying facets to the characters and events portrayed. I'm not seeing the problem here. Besides, it's a commentary. It's nothing official as much as it is an artist/author rambling on about different aspects of his work. I know I do the exact same thing describing some of my stories.

For goodness sakes, is there anything Star Wars fans can't find to complain about?

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I have one more complaint for you, Serenity: Your icon just spoiled me.

6. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    I believe that's a photo-manipulation rather than a shot from the movie. :)

7. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    Can't he make up his fricking mind,

No

No

He seems to change his views after every scene!

Yes

What is up?

Senile dementia

8. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    I have one more complaint for you, Serenity: Your icon just spoiled me.

How so? I doubt it's a real image since I haven't heard anything of such a nature released, and even then...it's Padme with baby Leia, likely on Alderaan. An already established fact and setting from ROTJ, with characters established from earlier movies. It wouldn't be publicly available otherwise.

No

And you would suggest WHO to run the franchise? I don't want anyone but the man who conceptualized the saga working with the story. People are always going to dissent with how things are handled are portrayed. That doesn't mean the director isn't talented.

9. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    this the person we want running the Star Wars franchise?

It's his movie, his story, his empire.

It makes no diffrence what you want. You have no say in it.

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    An already established fact and setting from ROTJ, with characters established from earlier movies.

Not at all. There's nothing in the movies that says Padmé will be on Alderaan. We don't know anything about that.
    Also, even if it's official info, it's still a spoiler for those who don't want to know it.

BUT, if it's just a manipulated photo, I'm happy :)

11. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    I'm convinced it's manipulated - I don't think there have been any shots of this sort leaked. :)

And it's true, there's nothing to say Padme and Leia were on Alderaan - all we know from RotJ is that Leia remembers her mother and Luke doesn't.

12. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Leia seems to have grown up on Alderaan and knew her mother for awhile. And even if that doesn't happen in ROTS, I hardly think it beyond a stretch of imagination that a mother holds her baby at some point in a film.

I just don't understand why you picked at *me* for it, really. I didn't put the avatar up - the adminstrators did. It would be just as easy to come across browsing through the icon pages. But since it has created unintentional problems, I shall go change it.

13. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    And you would suggest WHO to run the franchise?

Gary Kurtz! :D

14. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    And you would suggest WHO to run the franchise?

Gary Kurtz! :D

Y'know, that's actually not a bad suggestion. He is the producer of the most awesome Empire Strikes Back. [face_thinking]

...And his last name could be a really cool title. Kurtzfilm. It has potential. ;)

15. DarthyMarkyMark

Nov 6, 2003
    Because, of course, Gary Kurtz had the inspiration, came up with the characters, wrote the stories and four of the screenplays, directed four of the movies ... yep, it's his duty to run the saga, all right!

16. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    It's his movie, his story, his empire.

It makes no diffrence what you want. You have no say in it.

wanna bet?

after diligantly buying every release and rerelease of sw i have once and for all figured out how to defeat lucas.

i will not buy the dvd, thus i will not subject myself to anymore of his changes.

end of story i win.

see i do have a say, i have a say in where i spend my money and what i watch.

no mater what lucas declares 'the official version' he can't come take my widescreen SE from me and make me watch his new version.

who's in control?

the viewer as always.

17. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Serenity: I didn't pick on you, I just thought that you had spoiled me unintentionally. I never said it was your fault. Furthermore, since it's just a photo-manipulation, you can wear that icon as much as you want without spoiling anybody.
    And I agree that it's not a stretch, but I just don't wish to see a pic like that from the actual movie before I see the movie.

who's in control?

the viewer as always.

That is very true. One big problem with old school fans in general is that they continue to watch the new "versions" and continue to complain about them. That way, they're ruining Star Wars for themselves. Star Wars can never go back to the way it was if you don't stop watching, or even discussing, the DVDs and the SE.
    Good call, Malikail.

18. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I may be a bit of an old-school fan, but I still love the new versions of the trilogy, they are the best yet.
    But I still think that Lucas should have worked a "bit" longer son them so fans could enjoy them more and stop bickering.

19. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Hey, EvilOtto!

George and Gary are friends again.
    Lucas even honored him by replacing Sebastion Shaw with Gary Kurtz in the next version of the OT's ROTJ.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/MattK/STAR%20WARS%20customs/Kurtz-spoof.jpg]

Gary Kurtz: "Tell George that he was right!"

:p

20. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Otto: You do know Gary Kurtz thought making Vader Lukes Father & Anakin SKywalker was a bad idea right?

21. Chaotic_Serenity

Oct 10, 2004
    Can't we all just...get along? We all like Star Wars after all, and most of that was Lucas' brainchild, though there were certainly lots of other people who contributed to the project as well. And I don't mind the newer editions or movies because I have the mighty power of consumer choice that states I don't have to buy something if I don't like it, and thank goodness for Lucas and Co. for providing me the right to make that choice. GO ME. I WILL EXCERCISE MY RIGHT OF SPENDING POWER. </random>

Because, of course, Gary Kurtz had the inspiration, came up with the characters, wrote the stories and four of the screenplays, directed four of the movies ... yep, it's his duty to run the saga, all right!

Oi, I was just teasing. :p I like Lucas just where he is. I just think the name "Kurtzfilm" sounds kinda spiffy. :D

I didn't pick on you, I just thought that you had spoiled me unintentionally. I never said it was your fault. Furthermore, since it's just a photo-manipulation, you can wear that icon as much as you want without spoiling anybody.
    And I agree that it's not a stretch, but I just don't wish to see a pic like that from the actual movie before I see the movie.

I owe you the apology. Yesterday was rough and thus hypersensitive. [face_blush] Sorry about that. Really, I just chose the icon because I liked the colors. It just didn't occur to me that the admins would offer something that could seem spoilerish in the public avatar section.

22. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Y'know, that's actually not a bad suggestion. He is the producer of the most awesome Empire Strikes Back.

Being a top-player in the creation of the saga does not mean that Kurtz still has his "Midas Touch". Lawrence Kasdan wrote ESB, ROTJ and Raiders of the Lost Ark in the 80s... and his most recent film was Dreamcatcher. DREAM-FREAKING-CATCHER.

And Kurtzfilm!?!?!???

That makes THE ******* PILLAR OF STORGE look like Moby Dick :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.