Audio Drama Pre-Production thoughts

Discussion in 'Fan Audio' started by keithabbott, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithabbott Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Aug 7, 1998
    star 4
    Well, since Chris asked me...

    With Rise of Nobility, we had a six month pre-production period where we worked on casting, script revisions, artwork (yes you got that right, pre-visualization), technical equipment issues, location logistics, crew development, software training, web-site development, etc.

    I could probably go into a lot of detail about all this stuff, but I'm not sure it's worth boring you all. The point is, 90% of what you do is preparation. The other 10% is the actual execution.

    Now, you can certainly forgo all this stuff...by all means. This is just the route we took. We spent a lot of time with this so that we would have less problems later on, and it's a good thing too.

    Some of the things we learned were that a lot of the audio files from our non-Richmond cast sounded different. We had to work with all of our actors to work out their technical issues and to get their recordings as close to each other sound wise as possible. That made it easier once recording came around, granted it still was a work in process until about half way through the audio drama. By then everything became 2nd nature technical wise.

    Script wise, there were a few loopholes that we missed in pre-production. We spent time looking at things from a SW historically correct POV. So we had to go back and make some changes after Ep2 came out with newer information about Padme, solar sailers, etc. We also noticed inconsitencies with dialogue that x resulted in Y, you couldn't do z before x. And then there were logistical errors. Like, how can you make a sound effect for biting someone's hand if that action isn't audible and the narrator is speaking during it.

    The list goes on and on really. But in hindsight, spend some time before your project to get to know your script, equipment, your software..your limitations, your actors, your crew, etc. It will be a lot easier in the long run if you have that time invested before you head into production.

    Keith

  2. Terra Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 25, 2000
    star 4
    I couldn't agree more. I'd also add that even if a scene seems perfectly clear to you, the writer, it's worth spending some time thinking "Is this clear to someone hearing it for the first time?"

    Getting outside opinions is therefore invaluable, in my opinion :)
  3. Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21

    VIP
    Member Since:
    May 23, 2003
    star 4
    For us, the two big parts of pre-production for Second Strike centered on writing and casting. Chris knew a bit about the programs, and was learning, and I'd learn later.

    With the writing, I'd written the original script in about a month or so back around Sophomore year of college or so. It was done, but needed alteration for audio, which, given the storytelling I wanted to use, a sort of personal reflection, wasn't a big deal.

    Casting-wise, we tried to do two things, which were often hard to balance. We wanted to cast well, but at the same time, given that it was sort of a first-of-its-kind thing at that point, I wanted to try to make sure that if we had enough parts, even one-line parts, we would make sure that anyone who auditioned had a part *somewhere*. Some were cut for time later, unfortunately, but I still feel as though the small technical issues with a few smaller parts were a small price to pay to really make it a true community project, squeezing in as many as auditioned. We took great pride in that in the early days.

    So, there were no major hurdles, but we had to decide which was most important: inclusion or minor glitches.
  4. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

    Member Since:
    Jun 15, 2001
    star 5
    The pre-production for Jedied (or Jedied: Run Two, as it's aptly called), took round about a year, in which time, a projecg name was decided, a number of scripts were written, doodles were sketched, webpages were designed, webspace was considered, technology was bought in and the drama was cast.

    Then we progressed to make an Audio Drama.

    Then we stopped doing that for 3 months.

    Then more scripts were re-written, more casting was done, more webpages were designed, better technology was bought in, and we progressed to make an Audio Drama again.

    True Story.
    Hense the name 'Run Two', for the fact that the first time an audio drama was attempted, it was a complete shambles.


    Getting outside opinions is therefore invaluable, in my opinion

    *cough*Newgrounds*cough*
  5. Terra Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 25, 2000
    star 4
    The opinions of 13 year olds on a Flash site not withstanding, Richard :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.