main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Audio dramas

Discussion in 'Community' started by soitscometothis, Nov 26, 2014.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I couldn't find an existing thread to talk about what audio dramas people are listening to, so here we are.

At the moment I'm listening to The Once and Future King on BBC Radio 4's website. I'm up to The Queen of Air and Darkness, which introduces the charismatic but villainous Queen Morgause, and I'm totally hooked. Of course, it helps that I've been a fan of David Warner ever since seeing him play Evil in The Time Bandits, and he makes for a great Merlyn.

I've not read T.H. White's original book(s) but I'm now thinking I should.

For anyone interested the three episodes currently available to stream (for free) are here:

The Coming of Merlyn

The Sword in the Stone

The Queen of Air and Darkness

I don't think the BBC region locks its radio content, though I could be wrong.

Anyone else listening to this? Or anything good audio-drama-wise?

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I signed up for Sirius XM primarily for the "Radio Classics" channel. In terms of drama, the anthologies I prefer are "Suspense" (especially "Mission Completed" with James Stewart), "X Minus One" (especially "A Pail of Air") and "The Whistler". For continuing dramas, I prefer "Dragnet", "Gunsmoke" and "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" (the serialized version with Bob Bailey).

I have all of the "Hitchhiker's Guide" audio dramas, but I only have two "Doctor Who" titles: "Invaders from Mars" and the "Shada" remake. I tried listening to the audio adaptations of episodes of "Twilight Zone", but they were needlessly expanded and lacked the power of the original versions.

And I thought the ANH adaptation was great and the TESB adaptation was good, but I still haven't gotten to the ROTJ radio drama. And I have to agree with those who wouldn't mind radio versions of the PT.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    You have to listen to the BBC's adaptation of Lord of the Rings. It's excellent and stars Ian Holm as the voice of Frodo.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  4. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    ^My sister mentioned that adaptation the other day. My father taped all the episodes from the radio when we were young and they got played a fair bit in our house. It was a very good production, and I can still remember the theme tune to this day.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I have the 13 tape boxed set. I've had it for years. I'd strongly recommend getting the CDs. They are definetly worth your money.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    ROTJ isn't bad, but budget cuts at NPR had caused it to be delayed for over a decade and the version that was ultimately made is quite a bit shorter than those for ANH and TESB. Most of the principle voice actors from the first two radio dramas did return, but Mark Hamill (one of the few actual cast members who had participated in the first two) didn't, and unfortunately his replacement isn't very good. Oh, and a white guy does the voice of Lando o_O.

Yes! I picked that one up at my local library about a decade ago. It's quite good.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. ROTJ is OK, but definetly not as good as ANH and ESB, which are both uniformly excellent. Joshua Fardon wasn't bad a Luke per say, but the absence of Mark Hamill is definetly noticed.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I never have been able to find out why Mark (and Billy Dee) didn't return.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I've never read very much about the behind scenes on the production of the SWRDs.\

There are more of them

:eek:

I want these.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Wasn't Mark already playing the Joker in B: TAS by then?

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, the ROTJ radio drama debuted in '96, and I believe B:TAS debuted in '91 or '92.

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The ESB radio drama has the best line ever written for anything ever.

Han: It's dark out there, and cold in case you hadn't noticed

Rebel: I did sir. I joined up with the rebels because I notice things.

13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I started listening to Cadfael: Monk's Hood, which is available to stream on BBC Radio Extra here. I've only linked to the first episode, but all five episodes are up on the site. It's a medieval murder mystery starring Philip Madoc as the sleuthing monk. It's a little slow to start, but the Cadfael stories are usually pretty good.

For Classic Who fans, Robert Holmes' Aliens in the Mind is also up at the moment here. It's not as good as Holmes' best Who stories, but you can't go far wrong with the double act of Peter Cushing and Vincent Price.

Lost Horizon I enjoyed. It's a little different from the film adaptation, less romantic, but still interesting, if dated.

The forth episode of The Once and Future King is ready to stream here on BBC Radio 4. It's been great so far.

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Now having listened to all of it I thought The Once and Future King was excellent.

BBC Radio 4 has started an adaptation of Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens. It stars Mark Heap and Peter Serfinowicz, and includes Simon (Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) Jones, Colin (Merlin) Morgan, Paterson Joseph, Rachael Stirling, and Harry (Game of Thrones) Lloyd.
    First episode here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knthd

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Has anyone heard of or ever attended one of Jason Reitman's "Live Read" events? It's not exactly a radio drama, but it's certainly in the spirit of it.

Their most recent was The Empire Strikes Back, w/a special appearance by Mark Hamill as... Obi-Wan Kenobi and The Emperor. I would've given anything to be there.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah I just saw that on Facebook the other day. I would have loved to have gone to that.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Just opened my Christmas gifts. I got 18 Star Wars, Stargate and Doctor Who full cast audio dramas and dramatic readings for Christmas. :D :D :D

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Been listening to The History of Titus Groan on BBC Radio 4 Extra. Weird stuff. I saw the BBC TV adaptation Gormenghast many years ago, but have never read the books.

Link to first episode

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    ANH and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy were childhood favorites.

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I haven't finished listening to everything I got for Christmas, but I did listen the six Stargate CDs that I recieved. I highly recommend them. There are a few that would have made excellent episodes. especially. Gift of the Gods, Shell Game, Savarna and Zero Point.

21. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    ^Do they use the original cast from the TV series?

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually, they do. They're sort of halfway between a full cast drama and an audio book, as they have one actor performing most of the characters and a second actor performing one additional principle character, plus music and sound effects. Michael Shanks was especially good in GOTG. He completely nailed O'neill, Carter and Hammond. Claudia Black's characteurs of the rest of SG-1 as well as some of her asides were also really funny at times. Plus we got 70 mins of Vala and Daniel bickering, which is always entertaining.

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    BBC Radio 4 Extra have an adaptation of Philip K. Dick's We Can Remember It for You Wholesale up at the moment.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jpky
    Different to the movie(s) it inspired (Total Recall) in many respects, it's worth listening to. William Hootkins Narates.

24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    My favourite audio drama will always be Doctor Who: Colditz and The Klein Trilogy. These 4 audios tackle such profound issues as racism, evolution, class issues, the morality of being part of a corrupt regime, complex time travel and so much more.

Tracey Childs is phenomenal as Klein, and Sylvester McCoy has his best performance of the Doctor yet.

Plus, there are bipedal sharks. What's not to love

[​IMG]

I cannot recommend a listen more highly.

25. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Not heard Colditz, but I loved The Klein Trilogy. I like McCoy so much more in the audio dramas than on TV. He's got a great voice.

darskpine10 likes this.