main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Audiobooks?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by calestismiles, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calestismiles

calestismiles Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2008
    I don't know if any of you have listened to any recent SW audiobooks, but I can no longer read anything SW related without hearing Marc Thompson's voice narrating everything.

The man is GODlike.

2. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Fairly awesome, I agree! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

3. Darth_Monopoly

Darth_Monopoly Jedi Master star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    Are the audiobooks abridged? I remember they used to be, and I hated that. For the longest time the only versions of the Hand of Thrawn Duology that I had "read" were the abridged audiobooks, but I didn't realize they weren't the whole things. It wasn't until years later that I bought and read them that I realized all the things that had been left out.

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Most of the books are abridged which sucks. Since Millennium Falcon I believe they are not abridged. The FOTJ books aren't abridged.

5. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Everything since the TCW novelization has been unabridged. I hated it when some the longer books had to drop important plotlines in the abridging process in the previous years, the worst was Star by Star which completely cut out the fall of Coruscant.

6. Reww

Reww Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2008
    There are Audiobooks? I'm definitely going to have to look for some when I hit NJO, wait or are NJO abridged yet?

7. Hendo255

Hendo255 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 23, 2009
    I've listened to a few none of the recent ones tho. I didn't mind them being abridged that much since I read the books as well. I did however dislike some of the voices during NJO... They gave Jag an Irish accent in some books! lol

8. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Reww, check out Audible.com for all your Star Wars audiobook needs. They have like 120 titled to choose from!

I grew up listening to the SW audiobooks as I read the new ones (back still in the Bantam Era), and they were read by Anthony Heald. They were abridged, which sucked, but I really enjoyed Heald's voice.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The problem is that sometimes audiobooks change around details or muddy issues - the infamous "SSD Sovereign" that Zsinj supposedly had, for instance, comes from a reference in the COPL audiobook... as a name for what is actually the Iron Fist.

10. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    The NJO audiobooks are abridged. The only unabridged audiobooks that I know of are: the movie novelizations, the TCW books, a few of the Jedi Quest books, Millennium Falcon and FotJ.

11. Reww

Reww Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2008
    Cool. This semester sucks, so I might have to look into getting some of NJO audio's. I definetly gotta keep reading though... I flew through TTT and The Jedi Academy, but taking me forever to get through HOT... and its not like I don't like the book, I mean its dry in some spots, but lately its been good. Just need more time..

12. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Agreed, granted I listened to these after having read the novels to pass some time on a long journey, but cutting out the fall of Coruscant just made the rest of the NJO from that point on, fall terribly out of whack. It would be nice if they could go back and re-record the abridged ones as unabridged, I think they would be surprised by the ammount of takers for that.

13. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    I truly don't understand why anyone would want to read/listen to and abridged version of a novel. What's even more aggravating is to listen to an abridged audio version of a book you've already read from beginning to end, and all you can focus on is how so many of your favorite parts have been taken out!!

14. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    i agree. i hated the abridged version of TUF

15. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    I don't think they would. They aren't seeing enough sales to release all of the novels as audiobooks anymore; why would they think they'd sell enough to go back and redo some?

16. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    The correct phrase (with apologies to William Goldman) is the Goodparts Version.

17. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Yes, but I'd like to decide what the good parts are for myself!! :p

18. Xicer

Aug 21, 2008
    Time constraints for one. For someone who has a lot of money or access to the audiobooks but very little time on their hands, getting through the NJO in one week as opposed to one year is very appealing.

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Be nice, but I don't think it'll happen. I do think it's awesome SW audiobooks are finally unabridged. Can't stand abridged audiobooks.

20. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    I recently listened to the Abyss unabridged audiobook and wow! The sound effects during the mindwalking was very eery. I love all his voices except Allana. He can't do little girls very well.:cool:

21. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006

Indeed, I used to have loads of time on my hands, but recently I have been working a lot more than usual, for this reason alone I don't have as much time to sit down and read the novels anymore - plus, in recent times I have noticed a lot of newcomers to the franchise reading the NJO, and onwards, for the first time, there are bound to be plenty of people new to this, who are in the same sort of position as I am. I often hear people complaining that they never have enough time to just sit down and read due to busy lifestyles.

However, no, I don't think they will go back and record the NJO unabridged either, if simply because they want to move onwards and upwards. But I can dream! :p

22. BabyGreedo38

BabyGreedo38 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2007
    I just changed jobs and while I used to walk a couple of blocks to work now I have a 30 minute commute, so I'm looking into audio books as a way to fill the time. But I am such a completist I don't know if I can stomach abridged versions.

23. Daryus_Zalyncya

Daryus_Zalyncya Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2009
    I have tried listening to a few novels on audiobooks but I cant find many that are not chopped up. Kinda drives me crazy when things are missing from the original version. Think I am gonna stick to reading the novels the old fashioned way when they come out lol.

24. BabyGreedo38

BabyGreedo38 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2007
    Got my first audiobook. My library had the novelization of The Clone Wars movie on CD. OK so far, although the narrator's Ziro the Hutt is a disappointment. Lot to live up to there though.

25. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    This is correct. Prior to Millennium Falcon all audio books were abridged except the movie novelisations (including TCW). From Millennium Falcon onwards they have been unabridged, but they have also stopped making audio books for anything other than the main ongoing post-ROTJ storylines. So whereas previously everything was abridged but we got audio books for side-series such as MedStar or the X-Wing novels in addition to the major event novels such as the NJO arcs, now we get unabridged audio books, but only for major storylines like FOTJ. The decision to cut out side-series preceded the decision to make unabridged audio books by a few years so there are no audio books for the RepCom novels or Coruscant Nights. :(

Though I'm very glad they're making unabridged audio books these days - I love audio books and kind of prefer being read to to reading myself often, but I used to buy the paper versions instead because I didn't want to miss any of the story. Now that's not a problem anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.