main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Audiobooks?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by calestismiles, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    I've started getting the Bantam Era books again from Audible. It's weird, since they're abridged, but I'm really enjoying them. They remind me of when I was younger and got them from the library. :)

2. iolo_the_bard

iolo_the_bard Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2005
    When I was first reading through the NJO, my public library system was missing about half the books, but the library branch near my dad's office had what I needed...except for Edge of Victory I: Conquest. So far, that is the only Star Wars audiobook I've listened to, and I enjoyed it (finally figured out how to pronounce Yuuzhan Vong!) but I hated the fact that it was abridged. I may have to check out the FOTJ ones, if they aren't abridged like the older ones though.

3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    As noted before, all SW audiobooks since The Clone Wars novelizations are now unabridged.

I think I've bought them all since. I do a lot of travel for my job, and I really enjoy listening to SW novels along the way.

The sounds effects and SW music makes it all the more cooler.

And while abridged audiobooks are a pet peeve of mine, I've bought several SW abridged audiobooks. The most recent was Invincible. I really enjoyed listening to that one, I must say. And when I eventually read the paperback version, the abridged audiobook version did the book justice.

So I say if you're thinking of buying the older abridged versions, go for it.

That being said, I am thrilled they had switched to unabridged.

4. Gomez_Addams

Gomez_Addams Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2009
    They've switched to unabridged? Neat. I'll be sure to pick up one or two next time I'm at Borders.

5. LosDosMos

LosDosMos Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2005
    Death Troopers was released as an unabriged audio book. I don't suppose it's likely to happen, but I'd love it if they'd go back to releasing some of the side novels. I'm trying to refresh myself and get caught up with the Republic Commando series before 501st comes out, and it would be a lot easier for me to do if I could listen to the RCs at work.

You might want to check out getting an account at Audible.com That's where I get all my audio books; if you sign up for the platinum account, you get 2 a month for $22.95 per month.

6. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    There was no audiobook for Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, which surprised, disappointed, and confused me. Nothing for the Corsucant Nights trilogy. None for any of the RC books, even the hardcover, O66.

What else am I missing?

7. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    The Darth Bane series, Death Star, Allegiance, Star Wars Galaxies: Ruins of Dantooine.

If we go further back, none of the "Tales from ____" books have audio adaptations, except for three stories from Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. Two are audio dramas (We Don't Do Weddings and Nightlily), and one is a hard-to-find audiobook (Hammertong). Also, The Han Solo Adventures and Lando Adventures don't have audio adaptations.

None of the Young Reader books, except for the first 4 Jedi Quest books (counting Path to Truth as #0) have audio adaptations either. I would like some of these to be adapted, heck even the Jedi Prince/Glove of Darth Vader series. It's cheesy, but it's what I grew up with.

There is an "audiobook" of Splinter of the Mind's Eye floating around on the internet, but I wouldn't call it an audiobook as much as an old recording of some old woman reading the book badly. It also has no sound effects or music.

Still, also being a Star Trek fan, in comparison Star Wars has been very fortunate in the audiobook department.

8. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Trek was also publishing four times as many books per year. And now can't scrape together enough readers to make the numbers work for hardcovers, much less audiobooks. ;)

9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    First reaction: Wow, I did not know that. However, I was speaking more in terms of books since the switch to unabridged. So at least you can't blame newly released books they don't turn into audiobooks on the afore mentioned switch.

10. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Outside of the aforementioned abridgment the EU audiobooks have been excellent. There have been quite a few times where the worst part was the novel itself.

11. angelkimne

angelkimne Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2009
    All I want is a British narrator like Stephen Fry... :(

12. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) narrated most of the Thrawn Trilogy audiobooks.

13. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    I'm a big fan of audio books myself (if you're into books outside the SW universe, I recommend any book read by George Guidall, specially part one in Stephen Kings Dark Tower series (The Gunslinger) ), and I was disappointed to find that none of the older books are unabridged except for movie novelizations. I see that all the new unabridged books are from the Legacy era, but for someone who isn't very familiar with the non-movie/tv-show parts of the SW universe, like me, starting towards the end might not be a good idea.

The only SW books I've read are for ep IV - VI and Shadows of the Empire.
    Currently just started on Coruscant Nights.

Also, first post [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.