Gd Rapids, MI August 23 ICAN Picnic

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by claycmu, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claycmu Jedi Youngling

Hello all!

My name is Clay and I have met some of you at the Picnic at the Pops event (the second night) and had a wonderful time. I wish I have attended the WC event but visiting family kept me busy putting worms on fishing lines of my nieces and nephews that weekend.

I am posting an opportunity (and don?t wish to step on any toes on local leadership of the boards and/or organizing, Donavon does a great job!) for members of the 501st to join me at an event called ICAN Picnic 2007 Sponsored by the Ionia County Council for the Prevention of Child Abuse & Neglect. The next paragraph is from the president of the council:

Currently we have 120 kids signed up to come to the picnic. These kids are all at-risk youth some how involved with a helping service agency. The majority of these kids are considered to come from poverty level or even below poverty level families. The day consists of structured activities and lunch is provided. The goal of the picnic is honestly, for these kids to have a supervised fun day out that normally would not have this type of opportunity because of their family or financial situation. Thanks for your help to make this picnic a success!!!!!

These kids will be receiving some needed school supplies before the next term starts and have a fun day out. My wife is involved with this program and has received a LOT of requests for ?Darth Vader? to come and have pictures taken with him. I figured we could have a nice event, loose and fun like Cannonsburg. The organizers will have a Polaroid camera for pictures I believe. I was going to purchase some give-a-ways for a drawing, maybe some Hasbro lightsabers, etc. The last 2 years where a huge success and over 150 kids came!

I am seeking anyone how wants to come out in TK, Jedi, Sith, etc. to join! I will be in DV, but hey, we can even have more than one! I just want to add a little fun to this event and perhaps get some additional press on what the 501st is about! I still haven?t sent my photos out to the 501st yet so not a member yet, its been a busy summer!

Anyways the event is in Ionia, MI at the Ionia County ISD.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

9:00 am -2:30 pm

Most of the activities will be outside but I will get more info if there are people interested and I will see if any will be inside and if there can be a staging area.

Any ideas for making this event a success from your past experiences please e-mail me at clayroyer@yahoo.com.

God Bless and my the Force be with You!
  2. claycmu Jedi Youngling

Well more info:

The area that will be provided for the kids to meet the characters will be inside, near where the children will receive free snow cones. Camera work will be provided by a another volunteer and another will be driving out to a local pharmacy to get the pictures developed before the event ends for the kids. Also at least one Hasbro light saber will be given away per group (at least seven), I may buy more Star Wars related give-a-ways.

I will be posting directions any additional info I may have forgot later tonight.

Again please email me with questions too if you have any at clayroyer@yahoo.com or post them here so others may gain from the answer.

Thx,
    Clay
  3. Count_Scoobith Jedi Youngling

star 3
    If I didn't have to work I would help out since it's only 20mins from me... :(

Good luck, and I hope it goes well...
  4. claycmu Jedi Youngling

Well it was a lot of fun and sorry anyone who was looking for directions, lost power in the storm yesterday (Wednesday) and just regained it tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.