main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit August DHC Solicits: The Last SW issues & trades!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, May 15, 2014.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    One thing I admit I'm slightly unsure of: Dark Horse can't keep selling things, that's certain, but how do places like Amazon stand?

In the old days of bookshops, I know they could return their unsold books to the publisher to be pulped -- hence the term -- but... do all these online retailers still work that way? Or have places like Amazon just bought their stock from DH, to now do with as they please the same way any of us could continue to market books ourselves second hand?

Clearly, DH themselves are contractually blocked from any further sales, but... just dunno exactly what happens if Amazon still have a warehouse full of stuff.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh dear. I was hoping Amazon would still have some omnibuses if I ran over which I will.

3. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I decided to stick with the digital archive. I started looking at omnibuses online (prices on half.com are shooting up, by the way!), but realized I'd have to spend a couple hundred bucks to get those plus TPBs of stuff like Agent of the Empire that was never Omnibussed. Sucks, man.

And yeah, Dark Horse is in trouble. Mignola isn't even working with them exclusively, now that he's doing some illustrated novels and stuff. Without Star Wars, Dark Horse is just grimdark stuff, with none of the artistic appeal of a publisher like Image. Can't lie... between Saga, East of West, the Brubaker/Phillips stuff... Image is getting most of my money.

4. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Gonna be odd if the closure to Maul's TCW arc and the first comic of the revised canon quickly becomes a hard to acquire, out of print thing floating around.

anguirus2003 likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    David writes multiple books, he's even adding Spider-Man 2099 to his stable and Dan Slott just added Silver Surfer so since both keep adding books to their slate you never know. I would assume at the very least Marvel's first Star Wars comic will have a "name" from the Marvel stable on the first issue, can't seem them farming it out to someone lesser known for the initial release.

6. DIrishB

DIrishB Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2014
    I'm curious as to just when Marvel will start their Star Wars comics. Will it occur right out of the gate in January, 2015, or will it be held off awhile to allow the teams working on them to get a handful of issues in the can to prevent delays? Of course it's possible their looking at writers and artists now and may make an announcement of the book/team(s) at SDCC in July, and I fully expect work to begin on Marvel's new SW series in the next few months.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope they start them soon into 2015. I don't want to wait too long.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I only recently got into reading comics (a year ago), but I'm definitely going to be getting the Darth Maul Clone Wars series. It looks really good, it's a bummer they weren't made into actual episodes.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't be so quick to count to count DHC out, they also have a substantial manga catalogue and are issuing that in very high-value 700-odd-page bundles that you can get for under a tenner.

10. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Yep, I buy other Dark Horse material than SW too. Though I don't suppose two volumes of Berserk a year is particularly profitable for the company. :p

11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    This is all truly heartbreaking... The loss of not only future works, but even the canon status of the old ones felt like not only witnesses a murder, but seeing a corpse desecrated to me. :(

Sure, the NOVELS will be printed under the legends banner... but Dark Horse's works? That seems much less likely. Piracy and collectors may be the only thing that archives them at all.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

I'm afraid you're right. A shame if so :(

13. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    actually they might have one last solicit next month

The Dark Times Gallery Edition

Its been announced on facebook and the DH forums but hasn't been officially solicited yet.

so its "almost" over :p

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Is it too much to hope that Randy might secretly infiltrate Marvel under a pseudonym someday and bring back relics of the old EU?

BoShek always considered himself a hot-shot navigator, but after accepting a gig as the Uhumele's new pilot even he couldn't handle the heat when Imperial Agent Jahan Cross got on his tail!

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So the last DH TPB's are coming out this month.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not quite, there'll still be the last Legacy 2 trade next month plus the Gallery Edition of Dark Times: Path to Nowhere.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Legacy 2 trade got bumped to November? BOO!
    Might check out Path to Nowhere.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, technically the date I'm seeing is 31 October, I class it as Nov as I get paid 28 Oct!

Make sure you know what you're buying on the Path to Nowhere edition that's out in Nov, it's a massive hardback of B&W art and it will not be cheap!

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Fair point. I just glanced at the list on here and it said October 15th.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Could be both - comic shops get the books earlier and I'm looking at booksellers and not comic shops.

21. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm seriously considering buying a second set of Son of Dathomir so I can have one in my Dark Horse box and one in my future Marvel box (since they're Canon Universe). Someone talk me out of it.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  22. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This is the most confusing thing to happen to our organized comic collections since the Vector trades!

SOD Issues in one box, trade in the other.

Or a note in one saying "See other box."

Or buy a new box entirely and call it the overlap box.

Screw it, give your money to Dark Horse.

Jedi Ben and Valin__Kenobi like this.