main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Madison, WI August Meeting

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Rick_Sith, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick_Sith

Rick_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2002
    OK, new thread for our next meeting.

So far we have decided that a park would be a good place to meet next time. We just need to decide on which park on the East side to meet at. I can give directions for any park as soon as we decide.

So far there are two choices offered and I will offer a third. There should be some sort of shelter there, incase the weather decides to not cooperate with us.

Choices so far:
    1. Reindahl Park on East Washington Ave & Parkside Dr/Portage Rd.
    2. Sycamore Park (not Sycamore Park East) between Sycamore Ave & Nakoosa Trail (near East side Walmart).
    3. Olbrich Park on Atwood Ave & Walter Street (on the lake).

I believe both have at least one shelter. If anyone can think of more choices please post them here soon.

Now for the date. This weekend is out for two reasons:
    1. Too short a notice.
    2. Too much going on and I won't be in town.

I say we pick either Aug. 15th or 22nd. Can be any time of the day we want. Just let us know when you are available. We will work out something so everyone can show up.

Reply as soon as possible so we can get ToxicNed to have the meeting posted in time.

Thanks and see you soon.

2. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    Either of those three work for me. I'll need directions there regardless.

Personally, I'm leaning more towards the weekend of the 15th. Are we going to meet Friday night then, or aim for a Saturday or Sunday meeting?

3. ROGUE_NINER

ROGUE_NINER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2002
    Reindahl Park is easier for me to get to but I'm open to any of them.
    22nd works at the moment, its the day before Blues Fest
    The 15th may also work

4. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    OOps! Yeah, I meant for us to meet on a Saturday. Morning ot afternoon. Doesn't matter to me.

Directions won't be a problem. I have a Madison map and can give directions from any direction you are coming from.

Reindahl Park might be a good choice since it is next to Arby's and not far from Wendy's or the mall.
    Sycamore isn't near any fast food places really, unless you go several blocks to Big Mikes and some other small places in a strip mall.
    Olbrich might be out of the way for those who don't have much mobility (a car or bike), but I do like the location on the lake.

So, with that said, I think we will go with Reindahl Park, for convenience since it's our first park type meeting. We can try the others out for our other meetings.

Is the 16th too soon, as far as announcing it goes? If not, I like that date. If it is too soon, I'd go for the 23rd.

As for the time. I'd say close to noon. We could meet before noon (like 11:00am) and then head somewhere for lunch together afterwards. What do you say?

What ever happened to Lady Tundra and some of our other members? I'd like to see them on the boards and at the meetings again. Let's make this a big meeting and make Arby's, or wherever we go for lunch, quake in their boots when they see us.

"Let's get it on!"

5. ToxicNed

May 2, 2002
    Nope, the 16th isn't too soon. 11am? That's do-able. Let me know when to let the powers-that-be know.

As for the questions about our other members, lady_tundra and the Colsch clan haven't logged on for quite some time. Maybe they've gotten sucked into Galaxies? Hopefully they're doing alright, and if they get back to the boards any time soon, they'll see that there is this next meeting.

6. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    OK, we will go with the following:

August 16th at 11:00am in Reindahl Park
    We will meet in the Arby's parking lot between 10:45 and 11:15 to allow people to find the group. After that, we will proceed to the nearest unused shelter in the park to hold the meeting. Any late comers will have to do a search for us.

If weather does not cooperate and no shelter is available, we will hold our meeting inside Arby's, if need be.

Directions:

East Washington runs right past Reindahl Park and Arby's.
    If you are coming from downtown, the park and Arby's will be on the left side of the street, a few blocks past Hwy. 51.
    If you are coming from the East Towne Mall direction, the park and Arby's will be on your right. There is an Office Depot on the right side just before the Arby's.

Buses run past the Arby's all the time, so check the bus schedules if you intend on using the buses. Otherwise, if someone needs a ride, I can fit one more in my car.

Other than that, I expect to see most of everyone to show up. Just tell everyone to stay away that day and head out to the park. If someone comes over to visit, bring them along. We don't bite (at first).

See you all there!

7. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "What ever happened to Lady Tundra and some of our other members? I'd like to see them on the boards and at the meetings again"

indeed! where hath all the people went? anyway, I think that will work out for me unless something comes up. I'm glad that it isn't for this week, for I will be at Wizard World Chicago, so yeah it seems to work at this point for me I think I'm not familiar as to where this park is...I'm sure I can find it though. Hope to see ya all there and maybe the dissapeard members as well....maybe we should try PMing 'em?

Forcebewitya!

8. ToxicNed

May 2, 2002
    If they haven't logged onto the site for several months, dropping them a PM isn't going to really work.

9. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    16th is fine for me unless I work. There's a horse show going on, its small though shouldnt be a problem
    The 23rd would have been bad due to Blues Fest and I'd have to work that.

10. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    "If they haven't logged onto the site for several months, dropping them a PM isn't going to really work. "

yeah true...ah well what can ya do?

Forcebewitya!

11. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    oh well, maybe they'll suprise us

12. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Hopefully...we are really lacking people now.

Forcebewitya!

13. ToxicNed

May 2, 2002
    we are really lacking people now.

We were lacking people before. As long as we have the required minimum of three people, all's good. But dagnabit, I do want more people partaking in our nerdliness. :D

14. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    we need to advertize in the area thats it.
    Well I'll be there Saturday at 11 or 12
    if no one else is there I'll hunt you all down [face_devil]

15. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    "I do want more people partaking in our nerdliness. "

indeed! I second that :D. Well, as far as the meeting is concerned I will try my best to make it there on Saturday. This ones kinda short notice for my folks but I think it should be alright. So expect to see me there around 11. Most of you know what I look like now...but for those of you who dont just expect me to be wearing my hat that says "seek" on it and a star wars shirt.

Forcebewitya!

16. ToxicNed

May 2, 2002
    Brent, you want me to pick you up? I live in Middleton so it's not a far jaunt to the west side...

17. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    I can walk there in 10 minutes so getting there wont be a problem, not sure what I'll have on yet but I will have my purple Kings hat

18. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    He lives on the East Side if I remember our last meeting correctly, Jon. Also the name is wrong (not a big deal I think).

Attendees so far as I know will be:
    Jon
    Ryan
    Brian
    Kelly
    Megan (can't forget my little padwan)
    Rick
    If I forgot someone (or got their name wrong or misspelled), please let me know.

I pick up anyone if they need a ride there. I can also take you home if you like. [face_laugh]

Since we are gonna meet in the Arby's parking lot first before heading to the park, I think we will be able to find each other easy enough. If anyone is late, they will have to only look for a small crowd of people in the park. I wish is was a big crowd, but that is yet to come, hopefully.

Of course, I will be with my two girls, so I should be easy to spot.

See you all there.

<edit: added attendee list>

19. ToxicNed

May 2, 2002
    Rick, I meant forcebewitya. I thought he had said before that he lived on the west side. I could be wrong though. :p

20. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    "Brent, you want me to pick you up? I live in Middleton so it's not a far jaunt to the west side... "

I do indeed live on the east side, my grandma does live on the West side though, so I am over there a lot. *that clears that up :p*, and yes my name is Brent, you did get it right :D not Brett *another common mistake its ok I get it all the time*. As far as the meeting goes I HOPEFULLY will be able to attend I recently came down with a mild cold so I might need that extra sleep in the morning. If anything I will be there a bit late. And if I do go I most likely will be able to get the car ( haven't used it all week). So I hope I can make it but again I might not be there do to the cold *stupid illnesses*

Forcebewitya!

21. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    Hey everyone!
    Just wanted to thank everyone for showing up. We're such a small group that showing up to our meetings means a lot to us all.

In attendance were:

ToxicNed
    Rogue_Niner
    Forcebewitya
    Kel_Borlean
    & Megan :)

The meeting didn't have any specific topics to cover, but several general ones were discussed.
    Such as the possibility of a third trilogy being made, the diminishing collectables, the new games for consoles and pcs, and some non-Star Wars topics.

We should all think about what to do for the next meeting.
    Several possibilities were suggested. Mini-Golf (when it cools down a bit). Bowling (was suggested several times before, but never happened). Laser Tag (was attempted once before but wasn't feasible).
    There are other things we could do. We just need the ideas to be given to us. The park idea was a good one, but the heat/weather didn't agree with us. Maybe we could do it again when the temps are lower.
    Another idea would be to have a BBQ. I have a huge grill and wouldn't mind hosting it. However, we would all have to agree on when to do something like this.
    One thing to remember is that school will be starting soon, so getting time together will be difficult for some of us.
    The real issue is that we need more members. If anyone knows of someone in the Madison area who can attend our meetings and has even the smallest bit of interest in Star Wars or any of the other many topics we regularly discuss, please bring them to our next meeting, and have them introduce themselves on this board. New people are more than welcome. I hope some of our previous meeting attendees return also. The more the better and it makes it so much more fun too.

Well, that's all I have to say for this meeting. If someone has ideas for the next one, go ahead and start a new topic for it here.

Thanks!

22. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    "Laser Tag (was attempted once before but wasn't feasible)."

ah! laser tag! I just went last night and was doing pretty good :p. I think thats a great idea, one that I was actually going to suggest right now but saw that you already did. So I'm all for that idea, also if the Milwookie force could come down that would be fun, (more people the better). It is kinda costly (we would have to go on a friday night, 15 dollars for as many games as you can get in from 8 till midnight) Thats the best option or if a lot of people have the 15 dollar 3 hours pass, I only have on and thats for yourself and 3 other people so...it is costly but a lot of fun. Also as far as bringing new people in, I think that something like laser tag mini golf etc... would be more welcoming than just meeting someplace like usual. So those are my thoughts on the next meeting *big laser tag fan here :p obviously* this meeting went well nice meeting you Jon. And also good discussion on all the topics mentioned above.

Forcebewitya!

23. ROGUE_NINER

Jan 16, 2002
    It is fun and alot less painful then paintball. Bowling sounds like fun but it has to be after leagues which is after 9:00.
    The BBQ is also a good one. I'm sure we'll think of something

24. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    Indeed, Laser Tag is fun. Last time (the only time I know of) we tried going was on a Friday night to take advantage of that great deal, however, the place gets PACKED with kids (no offense to the younger members) and birthday parties that night. With that said, the last time we went, we never got to play because it was too busy.
    Maybe we could attempt another night instead of Friday. A night that is less likely to get crouded.
    Also, the last time we went (same time as mentioned above) some of the Milwookiee members showed up, and we did our best to not make it a wasted trip for them by going out to eat and having an overall good time talking about whatever came up.

Bowling and leagues is always a problem, so we would have to get our bowling in early or late. I had checked into this before and it did cause some problems for some of the people involved. However, we could always try again. If we pick a bowling alley, we could probably work out a deal with them to tell us the best hours and maybe even see if we can get a group rate (if we get more people to come).

Mini-Golf is always fun, no matter how many people we get to go. We just have to wait for cooler weather.

As for the BBQ, cooler weather helps for that too, but it's not like we can't go inside too.

Anyway, if someone wants to start a new thread for our next meeting, go for it. We should use the new thread to pick what to do.

25. ToxicNed

May 2, 2002
    If we decide on laser tag, we should look into maybe reserving a time. We should also take a look at getting the Milwookie folks out here if they're interested.

Of course, this may be a better option for when we get more members so the cost isn't as great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.