1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney…Now discussing:

Art Archive Aurélia's drawings - Update: Han Solo WIP finished

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aurelia-acc, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    That is outstanding so far, aurelia!

It almost looks like you're burning the paper from the texture the color is giving off. That's a neat effect!
  2. jedi-master-faran Jedi Master

star 2
  3. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow, that looks great so far. Wonderful detail! This is going to be beautiful when you are finished.

AG88
  4. Mustafear Jedi Knight

star 1
  5. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks you so much to all of you, I'm really glad you enjoy this WIP in color:)

I knew it would be long to put all these layers of color but I can't believe I've already spent almost 30 hours on it and still have so much left to do. But your messages are very motivating so a [:D]BIG HUG [:D]to everyone.

Here is a little update and I'll try to come back with a little more tonight ;)
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/anakin02_etape05.jpg]
  6. Mustafear Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, let us further motivate you, then.

I am continually awed by your talent, aurelia. The detail and care that you imbue each portrait with shines through. Keep it up.
  7. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks Zonoma.

Here is another update ;)
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/anakin02_etape06.jpg]
  8. Mustafear Jedi Knight

star 1
    Gorgeous. I love the contrast with his eyes and you make the scar look so real!
  9. ThrawnRocks Force Ghost

star 6
  10. Anakin_Skywalker20 Force Ghost

star 5
    omg... :eek: thats so good so far OMG. :) =D=
  11. dashleebo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    :eek: It looks even more amazing when coloured! Can't wait to see it finished! :D
  12. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    **once again begins Ewok-like chanting**

Oh, Aurelia, this is so amazing!!!

I can't get over that it looks so much better than the original reference photo! This was mentioned by someone earlier in your thread, and I so totally agree with it: the reference photo lacks the sharpness and detail that you're putting into this, and it's just like magic to see what a true master can do with colored pencils (or just about any media, I'm thinking!)! The shadows, tones and highlighting are just sumptuous, and give a richness that make it look so real... The way you've handled his forehead, and the furrowing of his brows perfectly conveys his intense thoughts in this moment, and the eye you've completed is simply luminous in the low angled light... Sigh... This moment in the film, to me, was the critical turning point: Palpatine uses Anakin's fear for Padme's life to turn him toward the Dark Path (the old snake...)--a lie that would seal his fall... You've captured this moment in such stunning clarity, it would surprise me if George Lucas wouldn't want this piece to hang on his wall at Skywalker Ranch! I would certainly hang it on my wall! :D

Amazing work, My Lady!

**resumes Ewok chanting**

FF
  13. morpher-2005 Jedi Master

star 4
    cool, we got colour this time
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    *falls to the floor and joins FF in Ewok chanting*

Not much else I can say but...WOW!!

Your just as skilled with color as you are with pencils! I love the monochromatic color scale and then that slight hint of red in the scar and blue in his eyes. That really make them want to jump right off of the paper! I can't wait to see this portrait completed!
  15. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Aurelia,

That is simply splendid. Beautiful textures. The skin and hair are amazingly well done.
  16. soitscometosith Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's looking very good. Are you finding the colour pencil more limited in tonal range than graphite, or pretty much the same?
  17. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    Mustafear,ThrawnRocks,Anakin_Skywalker20,dashleebo,morpher-2005
    thanks for your messages [:D]

Deb: Thanks for your comments [:D] I absolutely love that reference pic but unfortunately, I find it way too dark so I guess I'm trying to draw it the way I'd like it to be. I'm not sure the light effects are always how they should be but I don't mind lol
    And i totally agree with you about the importance of that scene in the film and I'm sure I'll watch it over and over again once the DVD gets released here.

Steph: thanks! About the scar I have to admit that i draw so slow that when i wanted draw the lower part of it, I couldn't remember the pencils I had used for the upper part hence the difference between them because I tried different red pencils.:D

Undomiel: thanks. About the textures,i'm glad cause I finally got used to color pencils on that paper so now I have speckles only where I want, which was not the case when I draw the dark area in step3.
    Btw, seeing your username, I guess you're a LOTR fan, aren't you? I'm in love with those movies and I should think about updating my LOTR gallery once in a while lol

soitscometosith: Not having the right colors for the face can be limiting but I know which pencils I have to use and in which order to get what I want (don't laugh but I've made a little list to be sure not to make mistakes).The main problem here is the paper that doesn't accept a lot of layers and so it limits the dark tones I usually get with a LOT of layers. Other than that, the work is not that different as in graphite, I work with a lot of different tones too.
    As I already said, I usually much prefer working with graphite but I really enjoy doing that one in color. :)
  18. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Aurelia,

Well it certainly shows how dedicated you are to your art. It's very beautiful work. Are you familar with Carrie Hall? She does her art all in colored pencils and it is simply stunning (like yours). Here's one of her pieces http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/view.pl?id=20237

Do you recognize the technique? Is it the same as yours? How do you get the effect? She says she uses something to blend the colored pencils together.
  19. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks for the link Undomiel, i never heard of her before, she's really an amazing artist. I wonder what kind of colored pencils she use to get those luminous tones.

I don't know how she does but when I want to blend the colors, I usually use a simple piece of paper hanky to get homogeneous tones, same as what I do with graphite in fact. For example, for the skin, I always blend after each one of the first layers (the lightest tones) to be sure i work on a homogeneous basis but when it comes to add the darkest tones, i sometime don't blend the layers of color to give some texture to the skin. Don't know if I'm very clear here [face_thinking]

here is a little update. If my schedule doesn't change, i should be able to finish it this week-end ;) *cross fingers*
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/anakin02_etape07.jpg]
  20. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek:
    :eek:

"Luminous beings are we..." Yoda, ESB

And that's precisely what we have here: luminosity in colored pencils! Aurelia, this is so fabulous!! I just can't get over how perfectly you capture every little shadow and highlight--particularly over his brow, where the furrows and ridges convey his emotional turmoil. It's...magical...
    **sighs**

The color of his eyes is beautiful, and I know that's something that doesn't really show up very well in the photo--I just love that you're meticulous enough to bring that out in the drawing, even though it isn't there in the reference. Another testament to your superb talent, Master! ;) And you use a Kleenex to blend the colors, too? I'll have to give that a go when I get brave enough to mess with the Prismacolors again! :D I am so loving this WIP!!

**bows respectfully to her Master, then squats in thread to study some more...**

FF
  21. double_blade Jedi Knight

star 1
    ummmm ...ahhhhh....yeaaaaa....wooooowww

those are pretty bloody amazing...u got amazing patience to work like that in such detail
  22. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Aurelia,

Woo, you did more work on it. Simply astounding. So let me see if I understood your procedure:

You do your pieces in layers but all on the same piece of paper? Or do you scan it into the computer, print it out, work that layer, rescan it, print it out, work that layer and so on? Erm, not sure I know what you mean by layers. I would love a tutorial on how you make these beautiful pieces of art!
  23. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    Deb: as usual a big thank you for your kind words :*
    I wasn't sure which color I should use for his eyes because the pic wasn't clear enough so I thought emphasizing the blue (color used: Derwent Studio gunmetal & blue grey)in it would make a beautiful contrast with all the different brown pencils used for his skin and that way accentuate the sadness in his look.
    And yes, I also use kleenex for color artworks. I would be lost without my paper hankies :D

Double_blade: Thanks for your message [:D]

Undomiel: I use only one sheet of bristol paper.
    Maybe it would be more clear if you click on that image below.(I made it quickly so don't pay too much attention to the speckles)
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/pencils.jpg]
    I start with a very light pencil and I blend it with a kleenex. Then I apply the next color + kleenex and I go on adding the different colors until I get the skin tone I want.
    For the last ones added on the example, there are 2 different tones depending on if i use a kleenex on it or not (for example if I want to let some speckles on the sheet to give more texture to the skin or if I want to reach a dark value which is not that easy on that kind of paper).
    I hope it's clearer now ;) and next time, i should consider not trying to explain something in a foreign language at 1am lol
  24. Undomiel Jedi Master

star 4
    Very nice, Aurelia! Thanks for the small tutorial. Sorry for the inconvenience. Carrie Hall (the other link I gave you) explains that she does her work on: "'hot-pressed' illustration board. Hot pressed because hardly any texture." Maybe that's how she gets the darker tones without tearing the paper? Can you find hot pressed board where you live? I wonder how expensive it is. Your art and talent deserves it!
  25. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm a member of an art forum and american artists often mentionned "hot press board" for their graphite artworks but I've never seen that kind of paper in my local art store, neither on the french online shops I've visited. I know it exists in the brand "Arches" which can be found in France but apparently I didn't have any luck for that specific type of paper. Maybe I should try some foreign stores but the shipping costs are often very expensive.

Today I finished Anakin's face but still have a part of his hair and his costume to draw. I still haven't decided if I should color the background or not, I'll see tomorrow when what's left to draw is finished.
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/anakin02_etape08.jpg]

Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.