main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Aurélia's drawings - Update: Han Solo WIP finished

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aurelia-acc, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow, he looks beautiful. He is handsome, but at the same time you can see the torment in his feature. It is an excellent rendering of Anakin Skywalker.

Fantastic job. I would say if you do add a background don't make it too busy. You don't want to distract the viewer from his face.

Absolutely beautiful.

AG88

2. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Gorgeous! ! !

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, Master this is amazing!!!

=D==D==D=

I am so loving the light here--from below, directional but not harshly so--it's such a beautiful angle! He looks so pained, so confused--just as he did in the movie--the moment here frozen in it's horrible certainty... I just love the eyes--they really do "suck you into" the drawing! And I think I agree with AG88 about a "soft-focus" b/g, if you choose to do one: I think if you simply added some darker tones (the darkness of the theater around them seemed to isolate them, there in that private box...), to emphasize the light on his face, it would be more than enough. Something very simple and diffuse, without much detail... Yeah... [face_thinking] :D

The detailing is so gorgeous--soooo much better than the photo!! I wait with contained impatience for another update! :D

**bows to the Master**
    :p

FF

4. Tom-Co

Tom-Co Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2005
    WOW that looks positivly AMAZING!, some off the best work ive ever seen. keep up the great updates.

5. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Woooooooow thats really impressive. Holycraprealism. Very nice.

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow.... I love how this one looks so real!

7. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    The phrase "Holy **** that's amazing!" comes to mind...

8. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    A big thank you to all of you for your adorable messages [:D]

About the background, it will be a gradation (not sure about the term) of a single color, from very dark (well, the darkest I can reach with this paper) in the upper corner from very light in the lower part. I had a very hard time choosing the color for this gradation, hesitating between blue and black and I'm still not sure. I've tried both with photoshop (adding a bg is one of the rare things I know how to do with that program lol) and they both look good.

Anyway, here is the "almost finished" version of the drawing, and I'll be back later with the background. ;)

[image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/anakin02_etape09.jpg]

9. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    a damn good job, Aurelia.

the hair by the neck looks pretty white, though.

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    **faints**

Geez, it's like I'm sitting there right next to him!!!

**continues to stare in rapt awe**

This is just...fabulous... Blast!! There aren't enough superlatives in the English language to encompass work of this sort!!

**goes looking in vain for the scattered pages of the disintegrating thesaurus for words that mean "superb"**

Luminous--it's the best word to describe the effect here! He positively glows in this light you've rendered, and it seems if he turned those eyes on us they would pierce straight through! The capture of emotion here was evident from the very start, and now that the face is completed it's even more intense...stunning... I think your choice for b/g will prove wonderful, and I can't wait to see it all done--but honestly, I'm just in awe of it as it is right now. "Beautiful" just doesn't do it justice, Master!

=D==D=

FF

11. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks Omnis. About the hair, it's already corrected in the final version because I noticed it after posting the scan ;)

Deb, you've got me blushing here [face_blush] , thank you so much for your great feedbacks [:D] I'm so glad you like it :)

So here is the final version of the drawing. I ended up chosing a black background because I didn't have the right dark blue color for what I had in mind and I didn't feel like mixing few tones on such a big surface.

Total time for this one: 54 hours, 50 for the drawing itself and 4 to try and make the gradation quite regular (without having too much speckles) .

I post the small version for now and once the drawing will be published on my site,I'll edit my post with the full size version ;)

[image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/anakin02.jpg]

edited: I've replaced the image above by the full size version

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized]

Whoa...

[face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized]

Is that a drawing?

:p

Excellent, Aurelia! Magnificient finished portrait!

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, this is even better than I imagined it! The color is a perfect mirror of the color of his eyes, almost as though it's reflected there...and the gradation is absolutely beautiful... I still cannot get over what a smooth effect you're able to manage with the colored pencils here--with so many colors used, it's really a testimonial to your marvelous skill with the medium! As I've said so many times before with this piece--it's just so much better than the photo you had to work from! =D= You really are "The Master!"

**bows and resumes Ewok-chanting**

FF

14. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow! That is... wow!:eek:

Absolutely amazing. I did have one question though. It looks like his right eyebrow was split open. Did that happen when he fought Asajj Ventress(I don't follow all the comics or Clone War TV show)?

Wonderful drawing. It is a fantastic drawing of the future Sith Lord.

AG88

15. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    *dies*

*wakes up*

*dies*

16. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thank you for all your messages [face_love]

In fact, Hayden has a real scar in his right eyebrow, it's more obvious on a b/w pic like the one below. And I thought that emphasizing the scar a little would accentuate the fact that although he's still young, he's been through a lot of fights/battles and that it would show he has suffered physically as well as he's suffering inside.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/aureliacc/divers/bw-hayden10.jpg]

17. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Oh wow! :D What can I possibly say Aurelia? This is simply amazing, just too marvelous for words. :) If I wasn't in so much awe at your talent I'd be green with envy, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful gift with us all, and not just the finished product but the progress too, which is a very special journey.

Its really wonderful to see that you excel not only with graphite but with colour too! May I ask what pencil brand you recommend for anyone wishing to do pencil work? I'm currently looking to buy some pencils to complement my marker work but am not sure what to choose. I've had a few people recommend prismas but they're hard to get in Australia and I want to make sure they're worth it. :)

Once again, beautiful work that's truly admirable...you are undoubtedly an inspiration to everyone here. :D

18. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Nice screen cap :)

Oh wait o_O

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Beautiful work, as always. The mouth is my favourite part of your picture, lovely subtlety in your rendering there.

20. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks That_Wascally_Droid and soitscometothis, I'm satisfied cause this time, the lips don't look too girly as it's often the case on my (rare) colour artworks. I used exactly the same colours as for the skin except a light touch of pink right after the first layer of colour.

Thanks for your message C_R. I can't personally recommend prismas color because I've never managed to find some in France, but I've heard they were great . As for myself, I use Derwent "Studio" and Faber-Castell "Polychromos" and I find both great. I decided to buy some polychromos after seeing that drawing . The girl who did it and I are members of the same art forum and she was explaining how great it was to work with pencils having a very strong lead and when I saw the result of her drawing, I thought let's give Polychromos a try . Both Derwent Studio and Faber-Castell Polychromos are pretty expensive (at least in France) but they're worth it because the leads last very long. When I did my background yesterday , I didn't have to sharp the pencil a single time! And if you use them with the right kind of paper, they don't smudge. For example, I made a portrait of Faith Hill with Derwent Studio on grained paper and had no problem

21. TheHateSwelling

TheHateSwelling Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    The Force is strong with this one. By examining your art, we can all see that the force is flowing through you --and onto your work. You are very talented and I love your work!

22. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    *starts making out with the computer screen*

Ohwaithesnotreal.

Great job!

(and I dont even think hes that hott! ;))

23. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks to both of you for your comments [:D]

24. Great_One

Great_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Oh my gosh, Aurélia that's incredible! :) Stunning. There we go. lol. As always, excellent work (emulates Kenu by making out w/monitor lol j/k)

25. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks Great_One ! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.