1. Welcome back everyone! Wondering why everything looks different? Please visit HERE for more information!
  2. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney… Now discussing:

Art Archive Aurélia's drawings - Update: Han Solo WIP finished

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aurelia-acc, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Fenrisulven Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wonderful work from a wonderful artist again =D=. And thank you for the skin-tutorial, it's the best.
  2. Mitth_Fisto Chosen One

star 6
    Amazing! Simply Amazing! You've got to be a professional at this, they all look like black and white photos(Except the one of anakin colored in of corse)
  3. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    First, sorry everyone for the belated answer [face_blush] Thanks for your messages [:D]

I'm not sure we should speak in French here so I'll answer in english ;) Apparently, internet is not such a big world lol. Just to let you know,I haven't forgotten the contest. I was very busy with a commission but as I finished it 2 days ago and won't start the next one before several days, I'll start working on the original drawing in the coming week. ;)

Sorry but Thrawn is not a part of my projects .

Lippy: Sorry Mara is on in my plans either cause as I've already said before, I know almost nothing about the EU [face_blush] , the little I know about Mara is what I read in the different threads of the Fanart section.
    And so far, I've only made portraits.

Death-Vader: Thanks. And yes, I'm a fan of LOST. And I'd love to draw some of the characters if only I had the time (above all Jack and Sawyer). I can't believe I've wanted to draw Matthew Fox since "Party of Five" (i absolutely loved him in that show) and still haven't done it. So I know someday I will draw him but he will be a little (ok much) older than what i had initially planned to draw lol

Fenrisulven & Mitth_Fisto: Thanks for your messages, it's much appreciated :)

4. Lippy Jedi Knight

star 1
    awwwwwwwwwwwww...:_|

*sigh* [face_worried]

You should really try reading some EU- its worth it...for the galaxy of new characters if not for the stories!
  5. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    Here is at last a new Star Wars WIP.
    The drawing has to be an original artwork portraying a SW character in his everyday life or his holidays, so I chose to draw Leia doing her hair (yeah, at last an OT character lol). It's not a complicated hairdo, just a braid but it's a kind of challenge for me as I hate drawing hands and moreover I don't have a reference pic for them. My sister had kindly accepted to pose for me last week but finally it didn't fit what I wanted to do so I tried to do it in another way. It's the first time i draw in my bathroom, standing in front of a mirror with an unfinished braid in one hand and a pencil in the other lol . Believe me, it's not the most comfortable position.

For the little "contest" at www.starwars-universe.com , the drawing has to be done before March 5th so I hope I'll have the time to finish it in time as I will probably have to start my new commission before that date. I would have started the SW drawing earlier if I hadn't spent a lot of time on a portrait of Carmen Argenziano for a commission.

Anyway here is the 1st step
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/leia01_etape01.jpg]
    The drawing will be done in graphite on bristol paper. Size: 26x20cm
  6. Eamon Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am looking forward to the completion of this leia WIP... your works have such detail. It is always exciting to open up one of your pictures and explore the fine lines and shading. Keep up the incredible work! @};-

-Eamon
  7. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Oh wow...excellent start on that drawing so far!

A character in a day-to-day act, huh? I say what you chose fits Leia perfectly. Can't wait to see this one finished and good luck in that contest! :)
  8. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    I looked at the Leia WIP last night Master, but didn't have time to reply then... **bows in apology**

I love this piece!! It's just so...real in tone: I could so see Leia, sitting in her sparse, tiny quarters on Hoth, just taking some time to do something completely normal like braiding her hair. What a beautiful linework for the start--her sweet expression, the plaits of hair in her fingers...maybe she's thinking about a certain "scruffy nerfherder" here, too! ;) :D This is going to be soooo beautiful--and let me tell you, it was quite a "picture," trying to imagine you sitting in front of the mirror, trying to hold your own hair and draw at the same time! I've done that occasionally in the past, but not to this sort of detail! Beautiful...just beautiful, and I cannot wait to see this as it progresses (we'll be getting WIP updates, yes...? [face_begging] :D )! Best of luck in the contest (my money's on you to win, Master Aurelia!), and looking forward to seeing this "bloom!"

FF
  9. Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Knight

star 2
    You've got her facial features perfectly! What a nice idea to choose. I can't remember if I had asked this or if it was asked by another, but does your starting sketch always look so light and clean? (When I start, it's extremely messy.) You may say that you have difficulty on drawings hands, but it doesn't seem to show on paper here. :) I can't wait to see the finshed result. I just know it's going to look so lovely.

It's the first time i draw in my bathroom, standing in front of a mirror with an unfinished braid in one hand and a pencil in the other lol. Believe me, it's not the most comfortable position.

Lol! I hear you there! I tried doing a self-portrait of myself a couple of months ago while posing in front of my mirror...and it just didn't work. I guess I should just take a picture of myself next time and work with that.

P.S. - Thanks for adding the link to Artpapa. I've never been there before, and though I just breezed through it a little, it looks like a great forum.

- Suz ^_~
  10. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  11. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Great start on Leia. I look forward to seeing how this drawing progresses.

AG88
  12. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks everyone for your kind words :*

To be honest, few days ago I was still hesitating between the 2 ideas I had thought about. If I hadn't picked up Leia, it would have been Han Solo playing baseball but for that I would have had to draw a small face and that's not my strong point.

Vana certainly knows better than me as she checks SWU more regularly than me, but the "contest" (for lack of better word) shouldn't really have a winner, it's just a kind of way to get original artworks on the forum & website.

Deb: Sometimes it can be useful to have long hair lol As the orientation of the light in my drawing is different from the one of the reference pic i used for her face, I'll finally use my sister's pic to help me a little and if needed I'll play again with a mirror and a lamp to see how the light is reflected on my hair as I have almost the same hair color as Leia's.
    Of course, I'll post WIP updates. Here is one ;)
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/leia01_etape02.jpg]

Suz: I used to be very careful when I made the preliminary sketch not to damage the paper with the eraser. But 2 months ago, I had to make a portrait using carbon pencils for the hair and carbon doesn't work on graphite so to be able to work with a grid for the preliminary sketch, i tried to make a draft first on a print paper and then trace it thanks to a light placed under a glass. As it works great, i decided to use that technique from now on so now i don't really care if my draft is kinda messy. Here is the draft for Leia:
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/leia01_brouillon.jpg]

13. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Wow Aurelia!

This is such a nice pose for Leia -- I can tell that it's going to look lovely once it's complete! :D
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Han Solo playing baseball? Ooo...I would've loved to see that one too! ;)

And very cool WIP pic. I just love how you do hair(I think I might've said that before :p ). And for the draft you posted underneath that one, you did say you used grids to get the person down on paper? I can kinda see a hint of it within the hair.
  15. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, goody!! WIPs! [face_dancing]

Leia is looking awesome Master--I'll jump on the general envious bandwagon and say that I'm always totally blown away by how beautifully you render the hair. It look just like actual hair, like we can reach out and touch it...amazing... This, I think, is going to be one of my most favorite-favorites of yours, Master Aurelia--just the sweet little smile on her face, the completely "ordinary" activity she's engaged in...it's just so warm and real!! Just beautiful (but then, isn't all your work like that...?)!!

FF
  16. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm so excited to see an original pose being done by you. I just know that she's going to turn out stunning! So far the hair looks amazing. Can't wait to see more updates! :D
  17. Ljungberg Jedi Knight

Aurelia, i admiration to your drawing. I have seen your web site and your another working. I can see, you efforted to much for your artworks. It is cheerful to see your artworks parts in your web site. You are the some person whose artsworks give me ceer to me when I see.. Bravo=D= =D= =D=
  18. Basement24 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Those are simply beautiful! I love the progression images too to see them in stages. Fantastic line work. Keep it up!
  19. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you so much for all your messages . Big hug to everyone [:D]

Yeah, it was a 2x2cm grid but even if it was just a draft, i erased it almost entirely to have a better view of the preliminaty sketch, you know to see if nothing looked kinda weird.

I haven't had much time to spend on the drawing these last days but I thought I could post an update though. So , please don't pay too much attention at the skin tones on her cheek cause this area is not finished yet. As I don't have a reference for the light on Leia's face, I build the tones as I go along and more tones should be added on the cheek and probably on the right part of her forehead as well for the next update.
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/leia01_etape03.jpg]
  20. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Very cool. At least I know I'm not going crazy and I did see a grid in that image. I find grids especially come in handy when I'm having problems getting proportions correct or I really need the drawing to look like the person and don't have the time to fool around freehand.

Even without a light source, I think you did a pretty good job with her flesh tones so far. It still looks photo realistic and has a nice smooth surface. Can't wait to see what you did when you do tweek it to fit a light source. ;)
  21. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, I can't believe I missed seeing this update yesterday! :oops: Been doing a lot of that lately...

It makes me want to cry, it's so pretty!! :_| ;) I totally agree with HS29--the skintones are just beautiful so far, and the rim-light on her forehead is just right. Her eye is just rivetting: so deep, just like Carrie's are...amazing, and so beautiful. This is just sooooooo pretty!! And I really, really love being able to see the progress steps--I know I've crowed about this before, but it's just such a wonderful treat to see how you draw these masterpieces. Thank you again for sharing the steps with us here!

FF
  22. Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master

star 2
    I absolutely ADORE the hyper-realism style of your Leia illustration! I get freaked out when I work like that 'cuz I'm always afraid I'll screw up 90% into the piece and have to do it all over again :oops:
  23. Ryuuri-chan Jedi Knight

star 1
    WOw really nice. Good Job !
  24. aurelia-acc Jedi Knight

star 1
    Many thanks for your messages :*

I tried to fix the skin tones tonight. I'm still not sure if it's how they should be but I'll wait for the rest of her face to be done to see if I need to make some little changes. Btw I also added some hair on her temple. I could have done it earlier but I was afraid to mess it up while blending the skin tones.

So here is the "corrected version" of the skin tones
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/leia01_etape04.jpg]

25. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The skintone is just perfectly smoothly shaded and textured.
    It's just always amazing.
    So. When are you going to admit these are just photoshopped black and white photos? :p
    Come clean! ;)
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.