main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Aurélia's drawings - Update: Han Solo WIP finished

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aurelia-acc, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoda-san

yoda-san Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2005
    =P~ okey! if you keep up that standard, it will become the best Yoda portrait ever! the hair is PERCECT! AWESOME! your art drives me crazy8-} we want more!
    =D= =D= =D=

2. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    It's absolutely crazy how detailed your pre-sketch is. If this is any indication, your final Yoda is going to be mind-blowing.

3. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    wick, cathrine,you sure know how to encourage people, many thanks [face_love]

Exx: Glad you like my website, thanks !

ok, so here is today's update. I've spent 9 more hours on it, 21 hours since the beginning, and it's still far from finished. Moreover, now that the upper part of Yoda's face is done, I know that I have to darken the background. D*mn :oops:

Yoda-step 3
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/yoda01_etape3.jpg]

4. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    *faints*

*wakes up again*

*looks at WIP*

*faints again*

:D This is truly wonderful that no words can describe. Actually I can think of one at least... BRILLIANT! Well done and can't wait for completion!

5. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow.

Words fail me...

6. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    *falls over and dies of shock*

It's not even half done and it already looks stunning. This is going to look great. :)

I find your approach to drawing these masterpieces fascinating. After the intitial pre-lim. sketch, you work in portions or small designated areas, finishing them completely, whereas I tend to work all over the place in stages, mainly starting from the center or focal point of an image and then progressing outwards. It's different from what I've seen before.

- Suz ^_~

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek: OMG!!!

**tries to help Corellian_Rogue off the floor**

**faints instead**

I...I'm like ThrawnRocks...I have no words!! Totally, completely blown away!! Again!!!

FF

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Your pencil work is so beautiful. You have a very sensitive touch when it comes to the play of light upon form - the wisps of hair, the reflecting light off his temple, and those eyes...

You must get tremendous satisfaction from your work, it appears flawless.

One question (sorry if this has been already asked): is the drawing really small enough to fit on an A4 size flat-bed scanner, or are you scanning it in halves and then reuniting the sections via software?

9. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for your comments *big hug to everyone*

Suz: i like the term "different", usually people say I draw in a "strange" way lol. I like drawing little by little, maybe because I'm afraid of missing some details, but the preliminary sketch allows me to draw any part I want so it's not a problem. I usually start by the left part of the model but cause of Yoda's wrinkles, I don't stop turning the sheet to be more comfortable to draw so the more often the sheet is placed in a way his left ear is up. Finally "strange" maybe was the right term todefine my way of doing things:D

soitscometothis: in fact as the drawing is 20x24cm, I can scan it entirely with my scanner. The problem is that the sheet itself is 24x32, which is bigger than my scanner,so the sides of the sheet are not completely against the scanner hence the shadow at the bottom of the scan. I usually place a magazine or a book on the drawing while scanning it to flatten it against the glass of the scanner so that no light interfere but I've forgotten this time

Thanks again for all your messages. If I have some time to work on it tomorrow, i'll post another update ;)

10. darth_bood

darth_bood Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Aurelia, your drawings are like heaven on earth in the form of a drawing. Never have I seen such realism in pictures!! My drawings can't even compare to a strand of hair that you have drawn. Keep posting pics!!
    You truly are a gifted artist!! [face_dancing]

11. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    YW - It looks okay like this but if I were you I'd finish it, I think it would look better...;) I'm really jealous

12. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    [face_laugh]

Thanks darth_bood for your comments :)

So here is today's update:
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/yoda01_etape4.jpg]
    Still a looong work to come...

13. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
  14. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks ;)

Btw, my webmaster has just published the step by step explanations I had written for the drawing of Anakin (she was kind enough to correct my french/english translation). So if you're interested, you can find it here:
    Creation of Anakin

15. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Wonderful!!! So close to finished already! You've done a truly marvelous job!

He he...wouldn't it be funny if just for kicks you drew a huge handlebar moustache on him! LOL :D Okay I tend to have a perverse sense of honour but with that unfinished bit I'd just be so tempted! ;)

Again I simply cannot wait til the finished product! Oh and well done for working on A4 sized pieces I always run off the page with A4. You truly are a master of details!

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, man...I can't believe how beautifully this is turning out!! =D= !!

The smoothness of the shading and the fabulous details just make him breathe in this drawing, Aurelia--it's almost eerie, but in a really good way! And I took some time to study your "Creation of Anakin" link to your website: what an experience, to read about all the painstaking work that you put into these--piece by piece, pencil stroke by pencil stroke. It was especially educational to read about the types of pencils that you utilize, and how you combine their unique properties to capture the beautiful details of hair and skintone. Thank you again for your generosity in sharing those techniques with us--it's so wonderful to be able to learn from the best--and you definitely fall into that category in my book!! :D

Keep up the fantastic work on Yoda--oh, I cannot wait to see some more!!

FF

17. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    When I first checked this thread I looked at the Padmepic first. So I clicked the link, looked at picture, looked again, and then I actually laughed in a chocked sort of way, I just couldn't believe that that was a drawing, it was too good! I can honestly say that I have never in my entire life seen any drawing or portrait that good, ever. It has been said before but it's worth repeating: you are great!

The Yodapic looks like it's going to be great too! I especially love his hair.

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    At the moment I'm thinking of a reply similar to what Robin would say in the old Batman series, but I can't think of anything witty enough so I'll just keep my mouth shut. :p

Anyway, this is really coming together and you had your doubts about whether you would be able to pull it off. From what I see so far, I say you're pulling it off with flying colors. I can't wait to see this drawing finished! It really is amazing so far! :)

19. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    hey Corellian_Rogue, I hope you don't mind if I have finished the face without adding the moustache ;)

Thanks FF[:D] I wasn't sure, when i wrote the WIP, how to put things together. I mean when you draw some things are so natural but when it comes to explain them, that's another problem. I'm really glad you like it.
    About the pencils, not so long ago, I used to only draw with hard pencils (from 4H to 8H) and now that I've learned how to "push the darks" in hair or on the face by using mostly B,HB and H pencils, i realize how flat the former drawings look compare to the new ones. I also started working with mechanical pencils not so long ago,Anakin is only the 2nd drawing made with them. I trained myself with that drawing of Sam Gamgee, from LOTR, and soon became addicted to them :D

Fenrisulven Thanks for your message, you're adorable

HanSolo29 In fact I was a little anxious cause of all these details, I'm always afraid to overload the drawing by adding too many details or to mess it up just at the end. Now that the face is finished, I'm relieved :)

So here what I've done so far after 30 hours:
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/yoda01_etape5.jpg]

I'll try to post another update tomorrow (well today for me in fact as it's 3:30 am here)

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    My God...he looks so real... All the little wrinkles around his neck and mouth, and those fantastic, "moist" eyes (something that just stuns me speechless, how you can render eyes...). This is sooooo beautiful, Aurelia!! You mentioned in an earlier post that you were going to darken the background--from where I sit (knocked to the floor again by your work...lol! ;) ), it looks great as it is right now... In any case, it's really a pleasure and a treat to watch these pieces take shape and come to completion! :D

FF

21. RogueSquadronFlygirl

RogueSquadronFlygirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    hi aurelia!
    I've been a lurker of yours for a while now and thought I would say something. Problem is, now I'm speechless! :p
    I've been drooling over your SW drawings for quite some time, but I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw your rendition of Samwise! Those eyes! Oh my gosh! I nearly fainted! Then I went strait to your site and looked at everything. You might be one of the most talented artists I've ever seen, and you stole my heart when I found out you had done some LOTR drawings. Yoda is amazing. Keep up the good work!

'Flygirl

22. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    I have never seen yoda looking so good! Excellent work as always acc!

arsnl

23. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    :D I don't think the world is ready for 70's disco Yoda anyway.

Wonderful brilliant fantastic! Love it to bits! I appreciate people who truly appreciate the wonder of drawing wrinkles, that they add so much character and emotion to a face. You do realise how good you are don't you? :)

24. bwize

bwize Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2004
    Man, I really wish I could see your Yoda wip, but I keep getting gatewway timeout errors. How do I fix that. Anyway, your work is absolutley stunning, breathtaking. The subtlety of the flesh tones, the detail of the hair strands and the eyes, oh my! I remember seeing your Anakin for the first time, I was speechless, or would that be keyless. I have always had a deep affinity for those who can reach such a level of realism with nothing but graphite. I never thought about using mechanical pencils, to be honest, i didn't even know they existed in such variety of hardness. Your level of skill and commitment to realism comes accross sooo strong in your work. I am curious as to how old you are and how long you have been doing this?

Anyway, I can only imagine what our little green friend looks like at the moment. Hopfuly I can correct the problem with my pc soon.

Bryan

25. yoda-san

yoda-san Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2005
    I LUV' YOU! or... ehm, I luv youre art :D and this hansom master Yoda ;)
    such detailed work takes time, but... c'est la vie! :p the finished work will be totally outstanding!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.