main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Aurélia's drawings - Update: Han Solo WIP finished

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aurelia-acc, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    I have to admit that I usually spend a lot of time on the eyes, first because I love drawing eyes but also because if you don't have expressive eyes, the drawing will be flat.

About the background, now that I've drawn the left part of his chair, it's more obvious that it needs to be darkened. Right now I've having a little break but I'll go back to the drawing and post an update a little later so you can see what I'm talking about. Somebody told me that you can get very dark and uniform background using linseed oil to lay down the graphite once your graphite layers had been applied. I don't think I'll make such a dark backgroung, anyway I'll first have to make some tests before applying this method on my sheet cause I think I would cry like a baby if I damaged it once it's finished lol

Thanks Flygirl :) I so love making these LOTR artworks cause I LOVE the movie and also they're great trainings when it comes to learn how to draw beard or hair for example. I wish I could draw faster to be able to update my LOTR page more often, the fellowship is still far from complete

Thanks Darth_ArsnL!

Corellian_Rogue hey I'd pay to see Yoda make the YMCA dance :D Thanks again for your comments !

2. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    THIS YODA IS FANTASTIC as i've said before ! ! You are so talented , you make my stuff look like child's play . Bravo on Yoda , you are capturing DA MAN in the best way possible. Your site is beautiful, I love all of your artwork. I also really appreciate people who spend time to make something so life-like. I've seen your Anakin and Padme, simply Love Em' . Take as much breaks as you want in your time, you deserve it but don't stop drawing , =D= .

3. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for your feedback Bryan :) I think there are even more variety of leads available for mechanical pencils, I just only found those one at my local art store.

To answer your questions, I'll turn 27 at the end of the month. I've always enjoyed drawing but I used to make only 2 or 3 drawings/year until late 2002. In fact, I became a fan of Jensen Ackles after seeing Dark Angel and make several portraits of him, that i shared on a forum and the warm welcome given to my drawings encourage me to draw more. That's how I meet my webmaster who kindly offered to make a site for me. So for the last 2 years I've tried to make at least 2 drawings/month to improve my skills. So I'd say that I've been drawing all my life but more seriously for 2 years and a half. And the more i draw the more I enjoy doing it :D

Thanks Cathrine and JEDY for your kind words [:D]

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Simply amazing detail and lighting.

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    This are the absolute best fan fic drawings I have ever seen. Everything about them stuns me, Aurelia. The technique you use is fabulous, the detail and lighting incredible. They are so realistic that they could be photos. Congrats on such masterpieces!

6. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thank you both for your messages [:D]

So here is the update I was talking about a little earlier ;)
    [image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/yoda01_etape6.jpg]

7. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    Fabuloso . THAT is Yoda ! =D= .

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oiy, there's really not much else I can say but: =D=

9. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    that must have been one hell of a challenge!!! He looks fantastic- the only person who could've have done this better- would've been Lucas. You got talant like I've never seen. If all of your drawings don't get put in the TFN musuem- i'll cry :_| Yoda looks so pure- yoda and just him. this picture is beautifully radient. I applaude you a thousand times over.

***bows to your greatness***

Arsnl

10. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    **joins Darth_ArsnL in bowage**

Fantastic... I keep expecting him to move or blink or something! It's even better than any photographs I've ever seen of Yoda (I know you work from hi-res photos--but honestly, I've never seen a photograph anywhere that delivers this sort of fabulous detail...). So beautiful--so very beautiful...

=D=

FF

11. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Yih. Your Yoda is looking absolutely incredible. I'm running out of adjectives, but I just spent a good, long time looking at this and seeing so many little things that blew my mind. The tiny specular highlights on the ridges in his skin, the wispy white hairs tufting off of his scalp, the soft texture on the insides of his ears... so beautiful.

12. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Once again, thank you so much for your kind words and encouragements, it's so motivating !

I'm happy to say that the drawing is almost finished. I still have to darken the background and then it will be over. I hope I'll have the time to do it tomorrow otherwise it will have to wait until Monday (cause I'll be away for few days), and after all the hours spent on the artwork, I'm becoming really impatient to finish it :D

[image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/wip/yoda01_etape7.jpg]

13. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    Simply BRILLIANT work !! Once again I might add .

You truly captured Yoda and his features . =D= .

14. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks JEDY ! :)

So the drawing is now finished. The background is not as regular as i hope it would be, i guess i need some more training with the linseed oil technique lol.
    Total time needed: 42 hours
    pencils used: 7B, 6B, 5B, 4B for the background and Yoda's chair, 4B, 2B, HB and 2H for his costume and 2B, B, HB, H, 2H for Yoda himself.

This time I post the real size version (it's not on my site yet, I've only uploaded the file on the server) so feel free to save it to reduce it if it's too big on your screen ;)

[image=http://www.aurelia-art.com/art/starwars/yoda01.jpg]

15. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek: =D= =D=

**commences Ewok-like chanting to go with more "bowage"**

Fantastic!!! With the darker background now, he almost looks like he has a visible "aura," like he's simply glowing with the Force!! This is so, so beautiful...stunning... (ah, ***p, I'm out of words again!! lol!) The way you've captured every little detail...on his face--and the "textural" quality of his tunic (it always looked to me as though it was slightly "furry," and you've confirmed my assumption!)!

I just can't tell you what a wonderful gift it is, to have you posting your work here, Aurelia--especially when coupled with your generous "tutorials" to educate the rest of us in your masterful techniques. It's just plain amazing! Thank you-thank you-thank you for sharing your work with us!

**continues with chanting and bowage**

;)

FF

16. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.:eek: =D= . FANTABULOUS !!

17. bwize

bwize Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2004
    WOW. I am at a loss for words. Best I can do is say that you are truely a master of realism. Your talent is unsurrpassed as is your patience. Can I be your padawan, just kidding. I simply cannot wait to see what your next work will be. "Tell us, TELL US NOW!"

Bryan

18. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Just unreal.

I look at that number, '42 hours', and my mouth hangs open. You can see every one of those hours in your finished image, but the patience involved in this is just staggering. Perhaps that's your real gift (besides your obviously outstanding drawing talent); you have the mental discipline to make something 'perfect' as opposed to just 'good enough'. And that's a rare thing...

What I think I like best about the Yoda image is that it seems to be an amalgam of the best qualities of the prequel CG Yoda and the OT puppet Yoda. It has the life and realistic detail of the 3D model, and the solidity and feeling of age of the puppet.

Wonderful work, aurelia. Thanks so much for sharing it!

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Simply amazing...

There's not much else I can express that others have not already said. I am pretty much at a loss of words here. Your drawings are just beautiful! I mean, you even managed to capture that CGI-like texture that you can point out from the films. I just can't get over it! Wonderful, wonderful job! =D=

So, any plans on who you're doing next? [face_mischief]

20. aurelia-acc

Jun 14, 2005
    Wow thanks FF,you're always so kind. I'm glad you like the effect created by the background. I first hesitated between only darkening around Yoda's hair to emphasize it and darkening the whole background and finally chose the last one and don't regret it.
    And believe me, it's a real pleasure for me to post my drawings/wip here cause you all have so warmly welcome me, I should be the one who says "thanks" [:D]

Thanks JEDY!

Thanks Bryan!The next one will be Obi-Wan. I'll start searching for the reference pic once I'm back on sunday evening to be able to start the drawing soon. I think that for once I'll draw 2 things at the same time cause even though I have other projects that have to be done, I'm really impatient to try that Obi-Wan piece. :D

Btw, if anyone knows where I could find high res pics of Ewan in RotS,please let me know in that thread or by PM, I would really appreciate. ;)

Wick , thank you so much for your comments. :* I have to admit that I feel very lucky to be that patient lol. When I start drawing, i sit in front of my PC to see my reference pic, put the music player on and nothing else matters, I just don't see time going by, so sometimes when i look at the clock, I'm a little like that :eek:

Thanks HanSolo !

21. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    THATS AMAZING!!! [face_hypnotized]

22. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    *stares in aww at the wonder of your drawings*

Awesome- just plain awesome. :)

Arsnl

23. bwize

bwize Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2004
    OH fantastic, I can't wait to see it. You can go here and here for some great hi-res Obi-Wan pics.

Bryan

24. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    Wow! Yoda came out really good. I love the detail that you put into all of your drawings. Please do post-electrocuted Sidious! [face_praying] :D

25. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    I think your artwork is great, especially the one of Anakin, you can really see the anger and the hate in his eyes and his facial expression. Best of luck in the future and you probably will have it with that kind of art talent.[face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.