main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aurebesh in The New Essential Guide To Vehicles & Vessels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    At the bottom of each page that features either a vehicle or vessel is a description, which I assume is in Aurebesh.

Is anyone able to decipher / translate each one? It would be really AWESOME if each page actually had written the particular ship in Aurebesh, rather than random Aurebesh letters.

Who is up for the task?! ;)

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Hmmm, I was going to post this myself a few weeks back. Must have slipped my mind. I noticed that too, and wondered how real it was.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    *Takes out NEGTVV and Aurebesh translation table from the 'Bounty Hunter Strategy Guide'*

Taking a few short ones at random - Slave I says Slave I, A-Wing says A-Wing, AT-ST says the same, Jabba's Sail Barge is consistent..

From what I have seen the entry title is what is in Aurebesh.

4. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    If you want to learn Aurebesh, there are a number of sources you could get it from. One way I did it is I downloaded an Aurebesh font for my 'puter and you can learn the symbols and corrisponding keys.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

5. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Sigh. So sad that Aurebesh is just the English alphabet with changed symbols. Such unoriginality. Heck, didn't a bunch of Trekkies make up the Klingon language?

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, two. Mark Leonard improvised some of it during filming for "The Motion Picture", and that one guy who's name escapes me created the rest, basing it on the few lines in TMP. John M. Ford had also created a Klingon language for his Star Trek novels, but this was ignored in favor of the movie version. On some occasions, writers have been to lazy to translate dialogue, and have used gibberish in place of Klingon, first in one episode of Next Generation, then in the latter seasons of Voyager. I'm not sure what Enterprise is using nowadays.

TC

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Holy hats, this is insanity with a :p

8. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I've got a copy of the Aurebesh alphabet but not of the NEGtVaV. So I can't be of any help on the subject just yet.

So sad that Aurebesh is just the English alphabet with changed symbols. Such unoriginality.

Not so. There are a few Aurebesh letters that are not Roman (English) letters. You have A-Z, but then you can shorten words or names by using the eight special letters. Cherek (ch), Enth (ae), Onith (eo), Krenth (kh), Nen (ng), Orenth (oo), Shen (sh), and Thesh (th). In English, we have to write Chewie's name using each of the Roman letters we know to be in it. However, useing the Aurebesh alphabet, we have two way's of spelling his name, Cresh-Herf-Esk-Wesk-Besh-Aurek-Cresh-Cresh-Aurek or Cherek-Esk-Wesk-Besh-Aurek-Cresh-Cresh-Aurek. By using Cherek rather than Cresh and Herf to write the CH in Chewie's name, we shorten the number of Aurebesh letters needed while still saying the same thing. Fighters like X-wing are the same way because of Nen, either Xesh- - -Wesk-Isk-Nern-Grek or Xesh- - -Wesk-Isk-Nen.

Being able to shorten words in Aurebesh by two leters may not seem like much to us, but think about the idea of writing a three page report by hand with only a half hour or so to do it in. At some point you'd have to use a few of the letter combinations that make up the eight special letters and useing the special letter for that combination shortens the number of letters you need to use, thus shaving off a few milliseconds of writing time. And the more milliseconds you save means the greater your chances are of completeing the assignment in the time limit.

The only real unoriginal thing is that it tends to be that each Aurebesh letter, with the exceptions of Enth, Onith, Krenth, Nen, and Orenth, tell in the first letter or first two letters which Roman letter it corresponds with or which combinations of Roman letters it corresponds with.

9. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Well, I don't think there are any other established SW languages besides Aurebesh out there?

10. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    What about the ones in the Galactic Phrase Book and travel guide? I know that Huttese seems to be a relatively common language, at least on the rim.

Knight1192, some good points. It would still be cool to have Aurebesh more independant of the English language.

One thing is interesting, in ROTJ when Vader's shuttle arrives, you can see some Aurebesh text on the tech's screen. However, when translated it reveals only gibberish. Perhaps the Imps are using some sorta code?

11. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    I know how to speak Klingon.

*cough hack puke growl grunt cough up some phlegm and spit it on the floor*

I just asked you whether you like lesbians.

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Nice job connecting back to another thread. :) ;)

13. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    Sigh. So sad that Aurebesh is just the English alphabet with changed symbols. Such unoriginality. Heck, didn't a bunch of Trekkies make up the Klingon language?

Indeed.

Fortunately WEG's Aurebesh system is just plain wrong, given that it doesn't work for translating in Return of the Jedi. It comes out as gibberish, and is not correct.

14. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    "Fortunately WEG's Aurebesh system is just plain wrong, given that it doesn't work for translating in Return of the Jedi. It comes out as gibberish, and is not correct. "

perhaps the Imperials were using Windows 3.1, and they lacked the sophisticated power of the Microsoft paper clip to offer them spell checking advice.

in response to an earlier post:
    Aurabesh is not a language, simply an alphabet. we do see other alphabets in the SW galaxy, such as futhark and futhork (Naboo's formal and informal alphabets).

Ben Burtt's Intergalatics Phrase Book and Travel Guide has lots on the speaking the languages, but little on alphabets.

15. Lord_Darth_Bob

Jun 29, 2001
    Or the simpler explanation, that while Aurebesh offers a correct script representation of Basic, the translation is flawed and irredeemably wrong.

Movie canon evidence directly supports this.

16. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    perhaps words are simply spelled differently in basic.. ie.. the aurabesh is correct, but the basic language in written form does not correspond at all to English's written form.

it would be like i created a new alphabet (Jawa) and wrote you a message, and gave you the alphabet so you could decode it, but you still can't read the message since the original message wasn't in English, but in another language that can use the same alphabet.

17. Lord_Darth_Bob

Jun 29, 2001
    Which is indestinguishable from my statement that the translation to English offered by the WEG system of Aurebesh is flawed.

The correspondence of the English letters to Aurebesh glyphs is wrong because the English translation is not a translation. The Aurebesh glyphs do not correspond to English.

Ergo, the translation system offered by WEG is flawed.

I don't know why everyone thought Basic would be a Germanic language with Latin influences anyway.

18. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    The correspondence of the English letters to Aurebesh glyphs is wrong because the English translation is not a translation. The Aurebesh glyphs do not correspond to English.

The translation need not be flawed... if by translation you mean the actual deciphering of the Aurabesh alphabet to Roman alphabet and NOT decrypting the message into something we can actually use. it simply requires a language translation as well. i thought WEG simply developed the alphabet, and didn't develop the syntax and spelling for the Basic language.

unless WEG actually showed us the stills from ROTJ and said what they were meant to say, and that after swapping alphabets, it was supposed to be in english..

19. Lord_Darth_Bob

Jun 29, 2001
    You're missing the point. If the Aurebesh language is not English with swapped glyphs, than the translation from Aurebesh figures to English letters is functionally useless and irrelevent.

Since it doesn't mean anything, it is simply arbitrary assignment of glyphs to letters without rhyme or reason.

20. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Well, first off, what we see on the screen in RotJ aren?t words anyway; it?s a clearance code, so it would be just a specific series of letters and numbers anyway. the series isn?t meant to form words, just provide varification of clearance. Ihad to deal with codes back when I was in the Army, and that is what you are seeing on the displays during RotJ when Han brodcasts his Identification to the Death Star for clearance.

As far as the Aurubesh at the bottoms fo the pages in the NEGtV, they do spell out the names of the vehicles and ships in question. They do so useing the same characters we have in our alphabet, just using Aurubesh characters.

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    They should have done it in Aust syntax. More colourful that way. Right? :p

22. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Excellence, you may be on to something...

instead of the drab, uninspiring...

the green colored saber had a dark gray handle

wouldn't you rather the elegant sophistication of:

the green-coloured sabre had a dark grey handle...

:D

23. TNT1120X

TNT1120X Jedi Master star 1

Jan 4, 2002
    Can someone please post a scan of the Aurebesh translation table from the Bounty Hunter Strategy Guide?

24. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Can someone please post a scan of the Aurebesh translation table from the Bounty Hunter Strategy Guide?

It also appears on the back of the rule book to the original SW Monopoly board game, you know.

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Would if I could, but my only flat-bed scanner is hooked up to a computer that isn't hooked up to the internet at the moment. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.