main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aurebesh in The New Essential Guide To Vehicles & Vessels

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Dude, Laj, you may be the most useful JCer next to Val. ;)

3. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    Well, first off, what we see on the screen in RotJ aren?t words anyway; it?s a clearance code, so it would be just a specific series of letters and numbers anyway. the series isn?t meant to form words, just provide varification of clearance. Ihad to deal with codes back when I was in the Army, and that is what you are seeing on the displays during RotJ when Han brodcasts his Identification to the Death Star for clearance.

Those were read-offs on data about the Lambda shuttle (they ever had little orange boxes to emphases certain areas). The code is not shown on screen.

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Nice pic. Needs more though causes it's just the 26 major letters of the Aurebesh alphabet and does not include the eight special letters or fourteen punctuation marks.

As for reading the Aurebesh on screen in RoTJ, unless you went to see RoTJ in the theaters with a copy of the Aurebesh, I don't see how you can read it. I just tried, the screen is too small to make out proper details. I saw a letter in a box that could have been Krill (k), but it could also have been Cherek (ch. And to the wright, the only letter I saw with any real detail to try and read could have been Xesh (x) but the bottom line was missing and there looked to be some mark to the immediate left without much space between the two for the other to be a letter. This mark could well have been curved like a paraenthiesis, making the letter actually Nern (n). Both Nern and Xesh are triangular with the point going up, but Nern as a curved line connected on the left to the triangle withouth a line on the bottom of the triangle where as Xesh is a triangle with three lines to it.

5. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    You're missing the point. If the Aurebesh language is not English with swapped glyphs, than the translation from Aurebesh figures to English letters is functionally useless and irrelevent.

Since it doesn't mean anything, it is simply arbitrary assignment of glyphs to letters without rhyme or reason.

well, they could have provided it not for the purpose of translating stuff seen in the movie, but rather for stuff relating to the role-playing game, where it might be much more useful to have Aurabesh to English, since the gamebook and presumably the players would be using English.
    likewise the same with the alphabet inclusions with Bounty Hunter and Monopoly. -- it's a tool for us to play around with for English messages coded in Aurabesh... since you can use it to translate the Aurabesh seeen in the EGVV, i'm assuming that it's not without rhyme or reason...

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    likewise the same with the alphabet inclusions with Bounty Hunter and Monopoly.

On page two of the SW Monopoly board game it says that the Aurebesh alphabet on the back of the rule book is to be used to translate the words in the game written in Aurebesh into english. It also gives what may well be the Aurebesh symbol for credits. Intrestingly, unlike the $ sign which seems to be S with either one or two lines drawn through it, the symbol for credits is a Resh (r) with two lines drwan through the top of it.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Knight - that was all that was in the Strategy Guide. Apparently there are aurabesh signs and graffiti in the game that are supposed to provide clues for Jango. Unfortunately I am usually too busy trying not to get killed to have Jango stand around reading signs..

8. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    ? Those were read-offs on data about the Lambda shuttle (they ever had little orange boxes to emphases certain areas). The code is not shown on screen.?

No, they were codes. The movie itself states as much. comm officer on the Death Star specifically asks for the clearance codes, and that is what Han sends. What we see the data-screen is what Han sent? the clearance codes, which includes transponder codes, alpa-numeric identification, and pass-codes, not text.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.