main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aurebesh is used in writing Basic, so...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Guy, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    ...why are some Star Wars fighters referred to by Roman characters? (X-wing, Y-wing, etc.) Yeah, I know the real world explanation is the audience's familiarity with the alphabet, but how does it make sense in the GFFA? Are they a part of some archaic and/or exotic language?

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    And why do you say 20 "standard" minutes, but you don't say 20 "standard" litres of water?

SW = Sheep thinking [face_batting]

That was my point, Darth Guy. Where is the line, where do you stop? These things need to be readable. Even now I still don't understand what a "yahren, micron and centon" is in Battlestar Galactica terminology, even in the context of their given sentence.

What I'm saying is, how far can one go? You can call it a Xesh-wing fighter or X-wing fighter. And even if only certain phrases or terms of Aurebeshified, it's extra work for someone to get it right, when deadlines are already staring you in the face, like a hasrh sunrise radiating over a horizon.

But I see what you mean---and I find myself asking that same question. Why do we use Italian numbers like that? Why not say King Darth Guy 2, not KDG II? Does it look "better" or "proper"? What is proper, or is it just a long habit we've always done? Once upon a time, you'd never begin a sentence with And or But; but the '60s are over and things evolve.

Actually, all books from Isard's Revenge have suddenly and very strictly done that, I've noticed. It's always Liinade III and Garos IV, not Garos 4. I prefer the numbers over the lettering myself, but it's only a small issue.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Stop derailing my thread. :_|

4. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    If I remember correctly, Aurebesh has two written forms: the fictional symbols and the English alphabet. Remember Episode IV, when Obi-Wan shuts off the tractor beam generator?

Oh, wait . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.