main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aussie Politics

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by -techno-union-, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    The current cost of the advertising campaign for the IR reforms is $55 million dollars and counting.

AKA: blatent waste of money (and that goes for any political ad, no matter the party, in my opinion)

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Of course, part of the problem is not too many people truly understand the IR reform; nor are polls especially accurate in Australia.

After all, weren't the polls telling us a closely contested election, before the Australian people and Liberals pwned Labor?

The IR laws are, for the most part, about what? Trying to stimulate growth (simply intent; not what they may or may not do), or trying to hurt battlers whom the ALP (in their Armani suits) only truly care about?

There comes a point when you have to stop and evaluate what's there, not what you want there to be. I think we all agree that scrapping unfair dismissal is too much; but only a select objective few seem to call it a case of the medicine being worse than the disease. However, Howard has been working on IR reform for nearly a decade with the AWA, and coincidently unemployment has dropped to a low, and the average wages have risen over that period.

I find it telling that the most vocally anti-Howard here can't name one good thing he's done, despite the country arguably being at it's best since World War II. It makes me feel my decision to become a Liberal was justified. :)

DreamingIce, can you please give some good examples as to why you'd leave if Costello was Prime Minister?

He's not got the charisma to be a baby-kissing leader but he's got the policy experience and vision to make a profitable enough stab at the top job; moreover he would make question time fun by being as pernicious as Paul Keating without the crass, philistine taint.

E_S

3. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    I don't have to name anything if I don't want to. When will you stop baiting?

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Loopster, try and moderate me one more time and you're gone, got it?

I'm not baiting you, for chrissakes. I'm saying, it's telling you cannot - or rather will not - think of one good thing. It proves a very strong point about your subjectivity.

I mean it, BTW. Try and play sneaky work games with the "baiting" etc comments (in effect baiting yourself) and you'll get an personal visit from the ToS.

E_S

5. Loopster

Sep 26, 2000
  6. Loopster

Sep 26, 2000
    You know what? I'm not going to frequent this forum whilst you are moderating, Ender.

Ban me if you want, but I'll be gone anyway.

Your hypocrisy and ego knows no bounds.

7. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Against my better judgement, I re-enter the Senate Floor after two years of absense.

I can't say I'll be a prolific poster, and in all likelyhood I'll just post in this thread if anything. However, moving on:

But you answer your own question in that statement, Ender. "Despite the country arguably being at it's best . . . " - from my point-of-view, it is not at its best. In fact, it is far from it. I am willing to admit that I have my own personal biases, however if I believe the country is in a terrible way, you cannot claim I am blind for not acknowledging Howard's positives. This should be reciprocal - you are certainly not a man without bias, even if that bias is to see grey areas in everything.

In other news, what does everyone make of "Australia foils 'terror attack'" (link). It's been mentioned that the rush-through of the terror laws was simply a distraction from the IR laws, but now that there are actually arrests . . . ?

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I would say, Boogie, that yes whilst I have my bias' it's very hard to not argue the country is at it's best since 1900. What precisely is wrong with it?

E_S

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Australia is a fantastic country, provided you do not fall into the following categories:

• If you are a refugee with no other way to get to Australia rather than 'illegal' ways.

• If you are unemployed

• If you are Indigenous

• If you have to deal with Centrelink

• If you don't already own a house, and are looking

• If you are a student, got into the course of your choice, and can afford to pay for it

• If you are not of Anglo-Saxon decent, don't have an Islamic surname and don't wear a hijab

• If you are a pensioner having to pay the GST

• If you are a small company requiring transport for goods

• If you use public transport

• If you are in the Australian film or TV industry

• If you live in a rural area and you want to have the internet

• If you are not captured by the US and sent to Guantanamo bay

• If you are caught smuggling drugs in a foreign country and you are not female, or of anglo-saxon decent

• If you are homeless

• If you are mentally ill

• If you have a disability

• If you believe in Australia signing, and keeping to certain important international treaties

• If you need public medical assistance

• If you need public dental work

• If you want an Australian Republic

• If you are addicted to drugs

• If you are against Uranium mining

• If you do not want religion arbitrarily used and abused in politics

• If you believe in decency in government

• If you believe politicians should tell the truth

That's a good list for starters, anyway. :)

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Interesting about the GST; it's far harsher to make people pay a 10% tax rather than a hidden 25% sales tax right? :p

That's a very subjective list. I did fine as a student, FWIW.

E_S

11. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Of course it is a subjective list. You asked me:

I can only but give my opinions. Even if I gave documented evidence the conclusions I drew from them would still be subjective.

And in regards to the student thing, I said: "and can afford to pay for it" :p

12. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Where Australia stands today economically, politically and socially is a result of the totality of its social, political and economic history- with both Liberal and Labor governments at the helm.

Howard did not take office in a vacuum - nor will Labor when they eventually form government.

You simply can't blame or credit one government or one leader for where Australia stands today.

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Oh, absolutely, LostOnHoth. I am blaming at least Howard, Keating and Hawke for the list above. And I certainly don't think the current opposition, given government, would do much to alleviate the above issues.

14. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    You can add "If you're gay" to that list as well.

15. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Oh yeah. Actually, I should also add "If you are female" as well.

16. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Oh yeah. Actually, I should also add "If you are female" as well.

:confused:

What part of Australia do you live in?

Actually, Australia is one of the best places to live as a gay person. Whilst we don't recognise gay marriage (and never will IMO) every State and Terriroty (except SA) have introduced legislation that allows same sex couples to determine property rights and disputes in largely the same way as married couples under the Family Law Act. There is also family provision legislation relating to same sex couples in nearly every State and Territory in the same manner as it relates to heterosexual or married couples.

Nearly every State and Territory now allows same sex couples to transfer title to their property from one party to both parties without incurring ad volarum stamp duty, which makes it easier to resolve property disputes.

It's interesting that all States and Territories will soon refer their powers to deal with 'de facto' relationships to the Commonwealth so such disputes may be dealt with in the Family Court under the Family Law Act - however, the Federal Government have refused to legislate in respect of same sex couples so whilst 'de facto' relationships are defined in State legislation to mean hetero and **** sexual relationships, same same couples will still have to have their matters heard in the State or Territory Supreme Court (a costs jurisdiction) whilst heterosexual 'defacto' couples can go to Family Court (a non costs jurisdiction).

I think this move is suspect but I still think that gay couples enjoy more rights than gay couples in any other part of the world.

17. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    This is absurd.

The extensive list of boogieman's could basically be summed up as "Green voters" - or everyone who isn't John Howard.

If you are gay, I'd have thought Australia was the ideal country to live in. Of course, if you disagree, you could always try Saudi Arabia. I hear they are real tolerant.

In fact, females could also try Saudi Arabia (unless you want to drive or vote), or Syria, or Iran etc etc. I'm sure oppresive Islamic societies would be preferable to Australia's egalitarian, tolerant, prosperous, secular, rule-of-law abiding democracy. :confused:

Sure, Australia's not perfect, but we are pretty freaking excellent (and lucky) compared to the vast majority of other countries. Like they said on South Park: "If you don't want to cheer for your own side, get out of the freaking stadium, dude!" (or words to that effect).

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    CCD, long time no see. :D

E_S

19. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia is not= perfekt, tehrefore is= BAD

20. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I would remind you all, before you continue to ridicule me, that the question was this:

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Look, Boogie, I had to deal with Loopster and others picking on me as a Liberal, now it's your turn. However, if they get nasty, I'll betray them with a ban and we can go for a beer or something. :)

E_S

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Hah, that's fair enough. I really don't mind people ripping into me, I just rather they rip into me for justifiable reasons.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why you should get the courtesy people here didn't extend me? ;)

E_S

24. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Because you're a mod, and as such have forfeited any rights to be protected from public ridicule. You should know that by now. ;)

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah, I forgot, my bad.

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.