main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Author Analysis: L. Neil Smith

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  2. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    No offense, but I have no idea who he is. :confused:

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    He wrote the Lando Adventures trilogy.

4. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I want to read his libertarian utopia novels.

5. Alpha-02

Alpha-02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    From what I remember I enjoyed the AoLC trilogy, but I think I'd have to go for a re-read before I go for any detailed analysis ;)

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Not too bad, but suffer the same complaint as I had for the Han Solo books at the time - the hero effectively leaves the "Star Wars galaxy" (not literally, of course) and has adventures in some other place.
    With the EU in place (esp. the long Centrality article in Gamer), they're goofy fun. Lando's personality seems to be pretty on the spot.

7. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I enjoyed the Lando Adventures. They were a little odd, but I think I liked them all the more for it.

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Goofs like mentioning a planet full of Dinosaurs can be excused, as there was no EU or continuity back then. :)

I haven't read the books in years, but I enjoyed them as a thirteen-year-old. Mindharp of Sharu especially.

9. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I love those. They don't leave the galaxy, they go to another part of it that we haven't seen (something I wished happened more often).

The Lando adventures were funky. Therefore I like them. The Oswaft were a really cool idea.

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    That sounds pretty wild. Libertarian utopia, huh? Just so long as it doesn't have Waywa Fybot.

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I have a better appreciation for them now. Back then, though, it was obvious the writers were instructed to keep as far away from the movies as possible. In retrospect, this was a good idea but at the time I wanted something more in touch with the universe of ANH.

Nowadays, I'd like some sort of visit back to the Centrality!

12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I enjoyed the books for the most part, though he brought out the libertarianism club a bit too often. I also would like to see a return to the Centrality at some point.

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    He had some good ideas, a lot of originality, but my main problem is that at many times it doesn't feel like Star Wars. I realize that things weren't quite so tight back then, but surely it's not too much to realize that multi-mustached technicolor bartenders might not be such a good idea. It felt a little too much like generic sci-fi and not like Star Wars. That said, he had a fun writing style, did a great job of capturing Lando's character, and came up with lots of fun, wacky stuff. Not a bad writer, just let the trippiness and the Earth-references get out of hand sometimes.

14. StateOfLoveAndTrust

StateOfLoveAndTrust Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2001
    To me, most of the early EU like SotME, the Han/Lando books, and the Marvels that I've read all seem Star Warsy, just different. But I recently read the Russ Manning strips and they really felt like generic 70's sci-fi with a few Star Wars elements thrown in, whereas the other stuff, at worst, felt like Star Wars with some generic 70's sci-fi bits.

15. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    I really miss the early EU stuff, like these novels and the Marvel Comic series. They were fun and not at all "relevant" to current events or "ripped from the headlines". They were grand adventures unburdened by 30 years of continuity

16. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Well put, JediLaw - they were, above all, fun. I was rereading them this week; while they're not exactly the best literature, and I often find myself wondering just what Gepta's rank in the 'Navy' actually is, there was immense potential to them. It would be interesting to revisit Tund sometime; I'd imagine it'd be a planet perfect for development, toxic wasteland that it was..!

17. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Ahh...now you've reminded me of who he is, and now I want to read his SW stuff. I hadn't made the connection until you posted that.

18. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    His novels are kind of the opposite - the Centrality is a libertarian dystopia, a world where an honest man can't get ahead because of the taxation and regulation of the government. Still, he only dwells on that a little bit in the scheme of things before moving on to Lando and Vuffi Raa having wacky adventures you'd see no where else in Star Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.