main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Author Analysis: Paul and Hollace Davids

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    True, but I'll still say something positive.

What I liked about the Jedi Prince books

* The inclusion of the Grand Moffs: After Grand Moff Tarkin, they disappear off the face of the galaxy. Does anyone remember these guys are THE big honchos after Vader and the Emperor? It's always Admiral this, Grand Admiral that, and so on.

* The Death of One Grand Admiral: Always a momentous occasion.

* The Inclusion of Dark Side Elements to the Imperial Bureaucracy: I felt that the Empire should never be a secular government and the inclusion of things like the Prophets of the Dark Side helps make the Empire more evil and sort of like the Empire of Dune with the Bene Gesserit.

* The idea of a Lost City of the Jedi: I think there was plenty to do with that concept. An entire store of relics that could be recovered and examined for the study of the future.

* Han Solo's house: I thought him having a flying castle as a home was pretty damn cool.

* Zorba the Greek: Jabba's father is a fun old con-man. The way he defeats Lando Calrissian for rulership of Cloud City is a great moment in the EU. It shows there's people even craftier than him. He also gets the hilarious fact of being undigestable by the Sarlaac.

* Trioculous: I actually think he's one of the more nuanced characters of the EU. He's obviously pure evil true but it's funny the way that Grand Moff Hissa is clearly in charge of him without it ever being stated outright. Their relationship is unique in the EU except for Pellaeon and Thrawn for double villains. There's never also been a fake-Dark Sider in the Star Wars universe either. The idea of using technology to replicate force powers is a pretty clever one. The guy gets to show sadistic, ruthless, prideful, whining, lustful, and pathetic along with dozens of other emotions before his death. Hissa even mourns over the man's corpse.

I point out that what's included in Glove of Darth Vader's books is really no worse than the idea of a force-sensetive Jello mold, topotoes and pittens, a planet that magnifies the Force ruled by a Hutt Jedi, and blostacle races.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    *The inclusion of the Grand Moffs: After Grand Moff Tarkin, they disappear off the face of the galaxy. Does anyone remember these guys are THE big honchos after Vader and the Emperor? It's always Admiral this, Grand Admiral that, and so on.

Who are all apparently brain-dead. If you can't use them properly, don't use them at all.

* The Death of One Grand Admiral: Always a momentous occasion.

In the most moronic fashion possible.

* The Inclusion of Dark Side Elements to the Imperial Bureaucracy: I felt that the Empire should never be a secular government and the inclusion of things like the Prophets of the Dark Side helps make the Empire more evil and sort of like the Empire of Dune with the Bene Gesserit.

Dark side elements are fine. Joyfully saying, "I bid you all Dark Greetings!" is not dark side. It is moron side.

* The idea of a Lost City of the Jedi: I think there was plenty to do with that concept. An entire store of relics that could be recovered and examined for the study of the future.

Decent concept, bad execution.

* Han Solo's house: I thought him having a flying castle as a home was pretty damn cool.

Maybe a good idea, but the sheer stupidity of his housewarming party killed that right quick.

* Zorba the Greek: Jabba's father is a fun old con-man. The way he defeats Lando Calrissian for rulership of Cloud City is a great moment in the EU. It shows there's people even craftier than him. He also gets the hilarious fact of being undigestable by the Sarlaac.

Zorba was actually decent, though the whole Jabba's will thing is god-awful.

* Trioculous: I actually think he's one of the more nuanced characters of the EU. He's obviously pure evil true but it's funny the way that Grand Moff Hissa is clearly in charge of him without it ever being stated outright. Their relationship is unique in the EU except for Pellaeon and Thrawn for double villains. There's never also been a fake-Dark Sider in the Star Wars universe either. The idea of using technology to replicate force powers is a pretty clever one. The guy gets to show sadistic, ruthless, prideful, whining, lustful, and pathetic along with dozens of other emotions before his death. Hissa even mourns over the man's corpse.

Decent character, but the plotline for him makes the baby Waru cry. Palpatine's three-eyed mutant son? Come on, reasonable ideas can't make up for horrible writing or Jedi Trial would have been an OK book.

The concepts aren't all; it's the writing.

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Though one has to wonder about it, since Jabba's real will was read soon after his death (as seen in The Jabba Tape.) [face_thinking]

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Who are all apparently brain-dead. If you can't use them properly, don't use them at all.

I dunno, I thought that Moff Hissa had an excellent plan for taking over the Empire. He knows that there are rumors of a genuine blood heir to the throne whose not fully human (whether because of Dark Side mutation or alien blood) so he decides to put his loyal puppy dog on the throne instead. He plays on the superstitions of the time and exploits them to the fullest while garnering an alliance around him of the most powerful men in the Empire.

In the most moronic fashion possible.

As for how the Grand Admiral dies, how is being shot for questioning the Emperor a stupid way to die?

Dark side elements are fine. Joyfully saying, "I bid you all Dark Greetings!" is not dark side. It is moron side.

I dunno, if you're going to worship the Dark Side of the Force then you're going to have some odd quirks.

Decent concept, bad execution.

I still put it over some of the EU that I actively loathe. The concepts need fleshing out as opposed to disregarding. Path of Destruction redeemed Jedi vs. Sith (the worst piece of the EU by far and that includes the Holiday Special) and I, Jedi redeemed the Jedi Academy Trilogy which is about as bad as the Jedi Prince books.

Maybe a good idea, but the sheer stupidity of his housewarming party killed that right quick.

Han has a housewarming party. He cooks Corellian food, Chewie helps. Did they do the Ewok boogie when I wasn't looking?

Zorba was actually decent, though the whole Jabba's will thing is god-awful.

Well if Jabba has a will and you're actually IN it...

Decent character, but the plotline for him makes the baby Waru cry. Palpatine's three-eyed mutant son? Come on, reasonable ideas can't make up for horrible writing or Jedi Trial would have been an OK book.

Three eyes are associated with wisdom and power in many cultures.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I imagine that Jabba's will for his followers was like Palpatine's will for his followers; Kill you all. Kir Kanos and Mara Jade will help.

Jabba's will for his actual LOVED ONES (which Palpatine didn't have) was a bunch of legal documents, accounts, and holdings.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I dunno, I thought that Moff Hissa had an excellent plan for taking over the Empire. He knows that there are rumors of a genuine blood heir to the throne whose not fully human (whether because of Dark Side mutation or alien blood) so he decides to put his loyal puppy dog on the throne instead. He plays on the superstitions of the time and exploits them to the fullest while garnering an alliance around him of the most powerful men in the Empire.

And all the rest were total fools.

I still put it over some of the EU that I actively loathe. The concepts need fleshing out as opposed to disregarding.

Yes, but only because they were written into the EU in the first place. They shouldn't have been, not in the fashion they were.

Path of Destruction redeemed Jedi vs. Sith (the worst piece of the EU by far and that includes the Holiday Special)

I challenge you to a duel to the death, sirrah! Clearly, you have no taste whatsoever and have offered grave insult to one of the finest pieces of EU and you must pay for your churlishness!

Han has a housewarming party. He cooks Corellian food, Chewie helps. Did they do the Ewok boogie when I wasn't looking?

No, he does the Space Pirate Boogie.

Again, writing is what makes a story. Bad writing is unrecoverable.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Dude, a wooden Pirate ship lead by a Satyr has a bunch of Jedi fight as infantry with no artillery, mecha, air support, or BLASTERS for any real chance. Random crazy Sith attack each other and Jedi. Then they all die without ever finding out how the conflict came to pass.

After Dark Lords of the Sith and other masterpieces from Dark Horse, I wasn't impressed. :)

But my defense of these books is NOT that they're juvenile books. My defense of the books is that they're SILLY books and not meant to be the same Star Wars as Zhan and all of his knock offs. They're meant to be the same Star Wars where the Droids cartoons can take place and Don Won Quixote can be there.

Slightly ludicrous, not meant to be taken seriously, and vaguely cartoonish. It's the STar Wars equivalent of Skeletor or Cobra Commander. Yes, they suck if they are taken seriously. However, Zhan SUCKS if you look at his books from the perspective they need to be funny.

"Damnit, where's the laughter of R2D2 taking out some super battle droids in Dark Empire?!"

8. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    This may not be the most appropriate place, but the Chapter 5 summary of Talon Card's "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Glove of Darth Vader, but Were Afraid to Ask" is now up at the SWFA website.

Take care,
    Abel

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    You know it's up to you to eventually do the definitive Moff Hissa biography, I hope you know.

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006

Hello, Donald F. Glut and James Khan.

Actually, Khan also wrote "ROWWL-ROARR-ARF!!!" Whenever Chewie spoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.