main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Author Analysis: R. A. Salvatore

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I really don't trust it, either. I'd like to see another source for that. And I agree about the death threats 100%.

And I've posted. ;)

2. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Well, yeah. I've heard that; like I said, the Great Salvator Chewie Death Fiasco is an event much alluded to but never described. Basically, can anyone who was around back then elaborate on what happened? I'm just curious.

3. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003

It is the clear impression that Episode 6 intended to assert that the heroes would live happily ever after.

Sure. But in that case, that person shouldn't read/watch anything set after it since the saga is, by definition, finished.

If you do accept the idea of fiction set after ROTJ, then the idea that somehow there is going to be no conflict and "unhappy" episodes quite simply beggars belief.

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Well...making the films into "they fought for nothing" is going to far, but nothing that Bantam or Del Rey have published has pushed that boundray. Dark Horse however...

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Because it involved a dude having a crush on something that, where it counted, was a horse. That's pretty much illegal here, and rattle on about interspecies love and openmindedness all you want, it still ain't right.

6. Master_Mentat

Master_Mentat Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2006
    I have to admit that I havent read all of the NJO books, but the arc as a whole was a great idea. Not to piss anyone off, but I always pictured Kyp as the anti-luke char anyways, even when he is good, he and luke never really get to see eye to eye. back to salvatore, as I understand, 000, a whole TON of fans were up in arms about chewie dying. I think they wanted the book removed from the series and all kinds of stuff. Wasnt there even a website like savechewie.com or something? I wanst really into it, because like i previously stated, i thought it a bold move whoever decided to do it. But I was then, and probably stil am in the minority. It was sad as hell, but a bold move that really got out of hand for many fans. Its not the sort of thing you really want to spend a lot of time reading aobut 000. If you are one of the crazys, you will just get bad ideas, and if you are one of the sane or at least less crazy fans, then their particular brand of "devotion" will give you an aneurism (did i spell that correctly?). I'm all for a reasonable reactions, but the way some people reacted to the death of what ultimatley is a FICTIONAL character was sad. And yes, Salvatore did receive death threats from some fans. It really makes me sad to think that someone could ruin the fun of a fictional universe by getting that involved. Oh well. And AotC was not a well done endevor in any respect. The book was better than the movie, and I apreciate that Lucas was just giving HIS vision, but the whole thing seemed poorly executed till E3, which is now my favorite movie.

7. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I ask out of idle curiosity, really. Honestly, I can't help but wonder what actually happened, and if the intervening years haven't made things a bit bigger than they actually were.

8. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I suppose you never saw Hercules: The Legendary Journeys or Xena: Warrior Princess, right? Human/Centaur relationships were in it.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    A. Of course not.

B. That makes it any better how?

10. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    No offense but Star Wars has a lot more universal appeal than either of those two shows. As a result, SW simply can't do some of the things Xena (never even heard of the other) did.

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Perhaps the death threat was whipped up by the mighty marketing machine.

Ooohhhh... Confpirafy...

12. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Xena was basically a rip-off/sequel to the greatness of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. Kevin Sorbo Herc.

13. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I'm sorry but I just have no idea what the Hercules show is. The only reason I know what Xena is is because my mom used to watch it (but would rarely let me). She used to watch Voyager too, which I guess is part of the reason I like Voyager despite ST geeks' opinions against it (gasp! A female captain! Travesty! People who aren't wearing redshirts actually getting killed! Oh the horror!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.