main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Author for Hardcover 5

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Mar 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    What about MAS ??

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Brooks is a possibility, but I think he'd be writing his Legends novella.

And I will say, and Mastadge would back me up on this one, that the author WILL NOT be an author who has written an NJO book.

3. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

And what if it is? Will you do something embarrassing for us? ;)

4. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    It's Barbara Hambly.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    killfire, that's just mean. :D

I mean, I liked her books okay... but I can see a mob forming inside your monitor for suggesting that... :)

6. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    So... all that we know at this time is

A) There will be an author for h.c. 5 :)

B) It will not be an author who has already written a NJO book.

C) Said author will have previously written a Star Wars novel (for Bantam?*).

So, that leaves us with?

Michael Reaves
    Terry Brooks
    A.C. Crispin
    Steve Perry
    K. W. Jeter
    Dave Wolverton
    Timothy Zahn
    Kevin J. Anderson
    Vonda N. McIntyre
    Barbara Hambly
    Michael P. Kube-McDowell
    Kristine Kathryn Rusch
    Roger MacBride Allen
    Rebecca Moesta

Did I miss any one? Next lets go through the list and take out anyone who we feel cannot or wont write.

(* = I was under the impression that is was a former bantam author, but no confirmation of that, so I added the others.)

7. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    I hope it's A.C. Crispin, I really do. the Han Solo Trilogy were my fav' non-NJO books

8. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Fantasy authors who haven?t written Star Wars, and what Hardcover 5 would be like if they wrote it:

George R. R. Martin: Han allows himself to be captured. He gets executed. Jaina goes all the way to the Dark Side, and discovers killing people can be fun. Jacen somehow ends up on Hoth, becomes the leader of his rebel cell. Though the book is freaking fantastic, not much is really resolved.

Jacqueline Carey: Mara, Jaina and Leia sleep with every Vong leader, convince them that the other Vong leaders are their enemies and steal their battle plans. Luke, Jag, and Han put up with the women sleeping around for some reason.

Terry Brooks: Princess Leia is captured by the Vong. The Vong blow up New Alderaan. Luke and Han rescue Leia, and make it to the rebel base. Luke gets in an X-Wing when the Vong worldship appears, and hears someone telling him to ?use the Force,? to blow up the worldship. He does. Leia gives Luke and Han medals.

Orson Scott Card: Jacen accidentally destroys the entire Vong race. What do you mean, it wasn?t just a game?

Elizabeth Moon: Kewl stuff happens and the good-guys win.

Terry Goodkind: Jacen or Luke is captured by a Vong dominatrix, and falls in love with her. Eventually forced to kill the woman who is torturing him to death, he plays dumb and lets Shimmra do himself in. Then it turns out that the way they won allows an even nastier race to invade the GFFA, setting the stage for dozens more books.

9. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    LanceJade, why is C a requirement? Looking at the track record, only 3 of the NJO authors, 4 if you count denning, had written SW novels before?

And what if it is? Will you do something embarrassing for us?

I certainly will. What do you want me to do that will actually embarass me to do it?

10. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    "Terry Brooks: Princess Leia is captured by the Vong. The Vong blow up New Alderaan. Luke and Han rescue Leia, and make it to the rebel base. Luke gets in an X-Wing when the Vong worldship appears, and hears someone telling him to ?use the Force,? to blow up the worldship. He does. Leia gives Luke and Han medals."

LMAO! Let me guess, this came from the fact that the only SW book he's ever written was a novilization? Funny as h***, in any event :)

11. LanceJade

Mar 26, 2001
    While talking with authors and the Del Rey crew, no one would tell me who it was. But I did get the distinct impression that

a) they knew (duh)
    b) it was a previous Star Wars author
    c) and that they had written for Bantam, but I can't confirm that.

I am confident that is will be a previous SW author at least.

12. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    LMAO! Let me guess, this came from the fact that the only SW book he's ever written was a novilization?

I'm guessing it's referring more to the similarities between Sword of Shannara and LotR

13. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Jedi_Anakin_Solo

That, and the fact that his Shanarra series, Sword of Shanarra in particular, is just rewriting Tolkien. The man has difficulty telling an original story. [face_plain]

EDIT: Yeah, IAmTheDarkSide got it :)

14. scorepeein

scorepeein Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    I would like to see Zahn write it. He bookended the NR Era. The Thrawn triology got me reading Star Wars in the early 90's and the Thrawn duology was a good leadin to the NJO. He would be perfect for the NJO HC5.

15. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    [chant]Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin! Crispin![/chant]

16. LanceJade

Mar 26, 2001
    You seem to be in a chanting mood.

17. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    I can't help it, Ima huge AC Cripsin fan, her SW books (Han Solo Trilogy) were awesome and amazingly well-written

18. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    So... all that we know at this time is

A) There will be an author for h.c. 5

GREAT CAESARS GHOST! TELL ME IT AINT SO!

:)

19. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    ReaperFett- LMAO!

20. LanceJade

Mar 26, 2001
    I that case. I lied. A computer will actually come up with the story - based on previous Star Wars stories. Then it will tie it all together, and publish it. There will be no specific author.

21. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Gandolf's authors do Star Wars... LMAO! So true, though...

"George R. R. Martin: ...Jacen somehow ends up on Hoth, becomes the leader of his rebel cell."

So are you inferring that Jacen is a bastard of a walking physical deformity? [face_mischief] Not that I would disagree with you.

"Jacqueline Carey: Mara, Jaina and Leia sleep with every Vong leader..."

Who's to say Mara's not already doing it. You know, that VD (Vong Disease) she picked up from Nom Anor. [face_mischief]

Terry Brooks: Princess Leia is...

Ouch... [face_devil]

Orson Scott Card: Jacen accidentally destroys the entire Vong race. What do you mean, it wasn?t just a game?"

LOL!

Terry Goodkind: Jacen or Luke is captured by a Vong dominatrix, and falls in love with her.

Most likely Luke, becase as evidenced by Mara, he's the one who has a thing for bitchy dominatrixes.

"...he plays dumb and lets Shimmra do himself in. Then it turns out that the way they won allows an even nastier race to invade the GFFA, setting the stage for dozens more books."

I thought you said Goodkind, not Zahn. I'd do one for what it would be like if he wrote the final book, but Reaper and I have done that gag to death at various times, I think.

Gandolf the Grey...
    "The man has difficulty telling an original story."

In that case, maybe he and Zahn can team up - they have similar styles in that regard. [face_plain]

22. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    "In that case, maybe he and Zahn can team up - they have similar styles in that regard."

LMAO! A point for Genghis!

23. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Aside from how you seem to have misinterpreted Jacen (I took him for Jon Snow, the one everyone overlooked), very good analysis there, Genghis. :p

Terry Pratchett: The good guys win ¹

Elizabeth Haydon: Jaina wonders whether or not Jag loves her. Jag knows that Jaina is wondering, but doesn?t tell her that he loves her, even as she makes plans to marry Kyp. They defeat the Vong! But then some other menace that was hinted at attacks! And Jag tells Jaina he loves her, and she throws over Kyp in an instant. And then it turns out that Vergere is actually their child, come back from the future to save them all.

Ed Greenwood: Stuff happens. Some brave few caffeine addicts are actually able to make it past the first few chapters and inform the rest of lit forum about the events of the final book in the NJO.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman: Things are grim. Very grim. The fate of the galaxy hands in the balance. There seems to be no possible way for the good guys to win. Things are really, really bad. There is no hope left. But fortunately, the Duex Ex Machina arrives just in time to save the day, and the Skywalker family lives happily ever after? or at least until the sequel.

Steven King: A lot is said, and very little actually happens. The good guys sort of win.

J.K. Rowling: Luke discovers the power of the floozle, which he uses to boink the zargoifs! Without their Zargoifs, the Vong are doomed!

Robert Jordan: This would take too long even to summarize. Suffice to say, the good guys win.

¹ Well of course the good guys win! It?s part of the stereotypical good vs. evil story. The good guys always win, even if they?re all bloody well daft. Seriously, what?s a good villain to do? He can?t ever seem to get any peace to complete his evil schemes, but there?s an adventurer or would-be do-gooder² banging on the door to his lair determined to off him for one reason or another.
    ² The Skywalker family definitely counts as do-gooders, and Bob?s your uncle.

24. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Nov 27, 2001
    "Some brave few caffeine addicts"

That would be me :D

25. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

[face_laugh] I can't believe you used footnotes, Gandolf.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.