main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Author stories versus Fan stories

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Veng_Commando, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Besides having been published and labelled legally, what is their difference?

Each [unless contained in a series] have some new advernture taking place in the star Wars galaxy that [if not AU] do not conflict with the rest of the SW timeline. Does that mean, on a technichal sense, that FanFcition is part of the EU in as much of a way as Authors?

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Does that mean, on a technichal sense, that FanFcition is part of the EU in as much of a way as Authors?"

Nope. Not at all. Only things authorized by LFL is part of the EU Timeline.

3. Veng_Commando

Oct 26, 2001
    but say it is the story of a smuggler who struck it rish then hunted down in one tiny cornor of space, unknown kinda. is that part?

4. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Well, there are some very well-written fanfics, but overall the paid authors have a higher quality of writing. Often not high enough, though :(

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    No fanfiction is part of the EU. LFL ignores it.

6. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    fan fiction is fan fiction.
    As it is, I have only read one fan fiction tale I thought was worthy of being published professionally... it was about the day after Yavin 4 Battle. It was sad an cathartic and Wedge's birthday.

7. Ceifer

Ceifer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    All my fan-fic is based 5000-10000 years after the NJO era. So all my plot lines and characters are original ones created by moi. Though all my fan-fic is really Really REALLY dark, violent and extremely adult oriented in topic. I may post some of my stuff on my website in the future.

8. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    No, though some fanfiction is actually better than the EU stuff. I think that LFL has to recognize it to be "official".

From what I understand, the EU is written by invitation, extended to already recognizable and known writers. This is more of a marketing tool. So the quality of writing is not really at issue so much as marketability. Some fanfic writers are actually aspiring writers who have not had thier break yet. Unfortunately, marketablity it a priority for many publishers. This means that many good stories go unpublished and unheard of simply because they lack what a publisher feels it takes to sell a book.

9. Ceifer

Nov 13, 2001
    I see what you mean Lianna. That's why I plan on having multiple other stories of mine published first, get my self some kind of fame and THEN start sharing my amazing yet extremely twisted ideas for the EU.

10. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Sounds like a plan to me. Hope everything works out for you.

11. Ceifer

Nov 13, 2001
    Some time in the not to distant future. If you hear about the SW EU becoming very very dark and morbid. The cause of this will most likely be me. [face_devil] 8-} [face_devil]

12. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm anxiously awaiting your debut. :)

How dark and morbid are we talking about here?

13. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Fan stories about how Yaddle had Qui-Gon's illegitimate child should not be part of continuity. For that reason, I'm glad Lucasfilm ignores Fan Fiction.

And no, that's not an AOTC spoiler.

However, Star Wars Adventure Journal Accepted Fan Fiction submissions. The stories just had to be really good. And if they still had that policy...then there would still be hope for some...

14. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Well, I'm hoping to get published one day. It might be nice to write a Star Wars book then, I don't know. Write now I'm working on a bunch of short fiction (not fanfic), just developing my style. My biggest problem is writing convincing dialogue; I've got a great way with words, great action and plots, but my dialogue frankly sucks.

Edit: "Write" now, I'm too tired to be writing anything. 8-}

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I write fan fiction and I've said for a while now (ever since Infinities came out) that all fan fiction is AU. And before I started saying that, I always felt that fan fiction was the fan's take on things that happened in the Star Wars galaxy, or a fan's rewrite of actual events in said galaxy. The simple fact is that fan fiction is not in any way, shape, or form a part of the EU. It's their for our enjoyment and the enjoyment of any who read it.

16. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Yaddle and Qui Gon! [face_laugh]

True, that should not be in the EU.

I wish that there was a Fanfic mag out there, just for fun. It would be nice to read.

17. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey, what happened to the Umpty-Seventh rehash of completists vs. purists thread? Just wondering because I wanted to read it. Did the name change again?

Jae Angel

18. Ceifer

Nov 13, 2001
    Dark and morbid in the sence that dark side force users don't use their powers to simply just choke someone like how Vader did, if they wanted to kill someone. They could also completely dismember, disembowel and totaly mutitlate someone through the force. Some twisted extremely perverse dark siders "rape" victims with the force. These are just small examples of abilities that dark siders have in my fan-fic.

19. Lianna

Nov 9, 2001
    Wow, that's pretty graphic Ceifer. Don't know if the EU is ready for it.

Darkside, what sort of stories do you write? Science Fiction? Perhaps you should get a cowriter.

20. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey IATDS, if you're looking for places to publish some of your short fiction, check the links pages on my website. I've got some stuff on there for places that might be willing to publish it. Try Glimmer Train for one. They do publish short fiction, but they only accept entries four months out of the year. No charge, unless you take part in one of their writers contests. Same thing goes for you, Ceifer, if you're looking for places to get published. And for anyone else whose intrested.

21. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    And tat's why LFL ignores fan fics. The "morality censors" at LFL must review it first . :p

22. Ceifer

Nov 13, 2001
    Thanks for the tip, Knight. I might send you a check in the future should I become rich and famous, or should I say infamous. 8-} [face_devil]

23. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    No need. Happy to help out. Besides, I use those sources myself, though I still have to get up the nerve to actually send in a story.

24. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Authors are profesional writers, while fanfics are written by non-prof ones. There for, not to get anyone mad, but prof authors will write better and know what they are doing more than any one else. There are some good fanfics out there.

25. Veng_Commando

Oct 26, 2001
    Most Fanfics Ive read are better, mainly because they're easier to make sense of seeing as how short they are. Thats why I like "Tales from..." books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.