main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authoring DVDs . . . Assistance/Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediTAC, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    To all of you "much better than I" video gurus out there . . . .

What I am trying to do is put a bunch of the FanFilms I have on my HD onto a DVD so I can view them on my TV. I have been trying to use NERO to compose the DVD - but ever time it craps out with some kind of error (and it doesn't even tell me what the friggen error is).

As you know. the various FanFilms are in a variety of formats - Quicktime, MPG, Divx, etc.

I tried converting all the films to AVI format and then have Nero transcode . . . didn't work.

I tried converting a couple to MPEG2 format (since I thought this was what DVD needed) . . . didn't work.

I tried using Adobe Encore DVD . . . It told me that the films need to be at a particular resolution (740 x something.)

Do any of you have any advise on how I can possibly get this operation to work?
    Am I doing something wrong as far as the file format? Any other DVD creation software you recommend?

THANKS,

JediTAC

2. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    What sort of error did you get when you attempted to burn the MPEG2 files?

3. anth

anth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2004
    I'd say it depends on if you're willing to spend money on software to convert all the various files to a DVD standard file. There are lots if you are willing or think it's worth it.

If i remember rightly Nero handles WMV and AVI for VCD, that may be a route you might want to try if your DVD player plays VCD's.

I don't know any free software that can handle quicktime files to DVD format though.

I know if a DVD file doesnt match the standards below alot of software will not let you proceed.

352x240 352x480 704x480 720x480 pixels (NTSC format only)
    352x288 352x576 704x576 720x576 pixels (PAL format only)

Bitrate should be 9.8 Mbps (9800 kbps) or below.

4. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    I have been using Advanced X Converter to convert the films to avi/mpeg2.

If, for whatever reason, the FanFilms aren't in the required "standard format," (i.e. 352x240 352x480 704x480 720x480 pixels for NTSC), is there a way to convert them to the required resolutions? (Apparently, this is what Adobe Encore DVD requires).

5. MKane

MKane Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    MPEG2 is the format you want. Check to see if your encoder has a 'padding' option to fill in the empty space with black pixels to get the proper resolution.

6. Trebius

Trebius Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2002
    Use tmpgenc to encode your files to a correctly sized mpeg2 stream. It'll even accept most .mov files. Just make sure you use the wizard and choose the right dvd standard for your region (ie NTSC if you're in America and PAL if you're in Europe). Encore should accept tmpgenc created mpeg2 files without a problem.

7. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    Cleaner XL should work also, but I honestly always use the stand alone version of Main Concept and author with Encore.

8. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    TAC, is this the latest version of NERO? Cause Vs. 6.06 is really robust. I can encode just about anything with it ... even DIVX.

9. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    I'll have to check. I believe it came with the DVD Burner I bought, so that might be the problem (i.e. partial version).

10. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I use what Trebius suggested to encode the video if I'm working with my PC and just trying to put something together quickly, like DVD dailies, and use DVD-lab to make a quick menu for navigation.

From DVD-lab I save the VIDEOTS folder to my hard drive, and then burn that to DVD as a data file, instead of trying to make a DVD video through Nero. It goes through as a straightforward burn and then all DVD players recognize it for what it is.

For full-fledged DVD projects, of course, I'd use DVD Studio Pro, but that's neither here nor there as your question is concerned. The point is I would recommend using an authoring tool to generate the VIDEOTS folder and then burn that instead of trying to make it go straight from program to disc. Doing it this way also makes it much easier to dupe DVDs since you only have to compile it once.

M. Scott

11. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    I understand about the VIDEOTS files . . . but if I wanted to put multiple FanFilms onto a DVD disc, how would I be able to navigate to/through them with the DVD player/remote (i.e. without a menu)?

Or is that even possible without going through the full-blown menu creation process?

12. anth

anth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2004
    I was able to flick through movies by my remote on a disc without a menu, just last week infact. No problems at all. I think you'll be fine.

Have you got a DVD-RW to try it out on as a tester? It may save you messing up a permanent one.

13. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    I made a DVD with Encore that autoplayed the movie when it was first put in.

All you have to do is make a timeline, and not even mess with a menu. Just add chapter points to your time line and burn.

You can then just hit the 'next' button on your remote to get to the next film/chapter.

14. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    You can get a demo of TeMpeg somewhere, you can then get a plugin that works on the demo that lets you use quicktime. TeMpeg converts from video format to the video and audio files you find in the floders ona DVD.

OR

Import the file into neros video editor and then straight back out again for the DVD. Thats whats worked for me.

15. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Encore only accepts 720x480 and 704x480 and anything along that. I like rendering out in AE to .m2v. Good quality, when I take it to Encore, it doesn't need transcoding (well just the audio). Uncompress AVIs take way too much space.

16. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    I too, suggest using tempenc for your video.

For audio, you can use ffmpeggui03b to transcode your audio to 192 or 448 bitrate AC3. Saves lots of space and you can cram more fan films onto your DVD.

You should then be able to link up both files to the same menu selection in your DVD authoring program. (At least, DVD Architect lets me do this, not sure about adobe's product).

To save further space, use tempenc to encode to the 352X240 size format ONLY if your source file is at that size or smaller than that. That way you won't waste space by filling up your DVD with unneeded information like a 352X240 movie file blown up to 720X480.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.