main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors and Fans

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Excellence, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    In a way I feel kind of sorry for the authors. As their Star Wars fans, we bombard them with packs of questions, ranging from the interesting to the inane, the intriguing and insightful.

They have to balance their personal lives while also appearing openly to those that support their works. If anything, they have great patience.

An interesting conundrum indeed.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    They don't have it so bad.

3. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I know as a fanfic writer I delight in dropping obscure half-hints, and find the reply times/questions the most delightful thing *shrugs* Might be the same lol! And remember; it's all good PR!

4. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    They've just been accepted into the most lucrative fandom on the planet. They're not allowed to complain.

~monogpfm

5. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Most lucrative: Yes.

Most pressure-filled: Definitely.

Writing for the SW universe is taking a HUGE risk. Yes you get the exposure, but if you fail in the eyes of the fans you're going to be crucified. Look at Zahn. That guy takes more heat than an oven! It's almost like being the coach for the Notre Dame football team. Great and prestigious position, but loaded with all kinds of pressure.

JMA

6. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I think you have to go in knowing that some people are going to hate what you write no matter what you do. Otherwise I should think it would be a pretty sweet gig.

7. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    The Pro's outweigh the Con's.

8. Green_Acrobat

Green_Acrobat Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2002
    Wether the Authors has it good or bad, depends a lot on the base needs: Have they eaten, slept and taken a dump in the last 3.14 hours, then they won´t be affected by bad things.
    Unless they´re really touchy.
    Touchy, yessss, that´s it, i´ve got it.
    touchy

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    What do you think, are they generally eager to become part of the Star Wars continuity, and all that entails from their wide fan base? Remember, they have to balance private lives with appearing acceptible to "us".

The pressure is certainly on them. These boards are always focused on Tim Zhan's alleged mismanagement of his SW works, while also forgetting his trilogy set everything up: politically, militarily, geographically, and introduction of what has now become key characters.

10. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    Writing for the SW universe is taking a HUGE risk. Yes you get the exposure, but if you fail in the eyes of the fans you're going to be crucified. Look at Zahn. That guy takes more heat than an oven! It's almost like being the coach for the Notre Dame football team. Great and prestigious position, but loaded with all kinds of pressure.

Of course, if you're a player like Rudy, you run the risk of becoming a hobbit...

11. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    "We may yet Mr. Frodo"

:)

JMA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.