main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors fake their names and bios?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valyn, Oct 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    I might remind everyone that author bashing is against forum policies.

2. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Thank you for the support Val.

And to you Teirshon, post proof or retract. Put up quotes or just walk away.

No argument about you not having to prove what you say. I want proof now, or you can bug off.

3. Ghost-of-Rebecca191

Ghost-of-Rebecca191 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Tiershon_Fett, if she did say that, it IS horrible, but, unless you can provide quotes, people probably won't believe you.

4. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I want you to post where you found this quote, with a valid link. Also, no matter if she did say that, that is no reason to bash an author.

What you said about Ms. Tyers has nothing to do with the subject.

Please provide the proof. I want a site link directly to the quote.

5. JohnWilliamsFan

JohnWilliamsFan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 1, 2002
    I have posted in a while, but I was alerted to this thread by a friend and I would also like to see some proof. I happen to be a large fan of writing and many authors, so again, some proof to help validate your claims. If you cannot produce proof, then as Valiento said, you are in violation of forum policies..... [face_plain] ....and thats never cool...

6. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    re: Starcraft novels, while I haven't read them yet (they're on the backburner with some B5 and STargate novels, wiating for me to finish up some of my SW novels), I've heard they're pretty good also- and I think it's a safe bet you'll get another novel in that series once Starcraft: Ghost comes out next year.

re: Author bashing, I too would like to see where these comments originated from to understand their context, otherwise, you should lay off the author bashing, even if you don't like TAB and BP (I didn't, for example).

7. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    Rebecca191: What did you think of "In the Forests of the Night"? IMO, the sequel, "Demon in my View" looks much better.

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    She said that Leia is the type of person that would get an abortion so her job status wouldn't be affected. And Mara is so pro-life, she would never murder another innocent being (not counting that assassin thing, I guess).
    I hate the way she shows her hatred of Leia by saying things like this. I find it insulting. She has also said she has a hadr time relating to Leia because she is so cold and arrogant. I don't know where she gets that. She she ever even watch SW?

PPOR, Tiershon. [face_plain]

9. Jedi_Sha

Jedi_Sha Jedi Master star 5

Oct 13, 2002
    t_f, please ppor.

10. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I was talking about Cunningham

11. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay, get it back on the track this is supposed to be on, or I'm going to lock this.

You do not attack the author. You can give criticism about their writing, but that is it. If I see another comment like that, you'll be facing the wrong end of a ban button.

12. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Ah, but it still seems as though she is the most likelly of canditates.

13. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Tiershon-PPOR.

This isn't the HC, and actually, if you can't prove that Tyers said this, this is technically libel.

14. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    PPOR? Definition please.

15. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Certiantly my good man,

Or
    Retract.

:)

16. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    PPOR=Post Proof Or Retract

17. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Many thanks.

18. Ghost-of-Rebecca191

Ghost-of-Rebecca191 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    _Tenel_Ka_ - I've read three of Amelia Atwater-Rhodes's books. In the Forests of the Night, Demon in my View, and Shattered Mirror. She writes pretty good considering her age and inexperience. I'd say Demon in my View is probably the best of her books that I have read.

19. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Here is the quote. I admit I was harsh. I don't think she's a bad lady, reading a lot of her posts today. She seems sweet.
    I don't agree with her views on Leia. I really don't. I think I do have the right to disagree. Furthermore, I responded to the post above that says she never said anything bad. I don't think it's bad. I just believe it's not on the mark with Leia. I did one her posts today where she admits she didn't even watch any of the movies to get characterization. She just read Timothy Zahn's books, because she was only really interested in writing Mara. (I have the page number somewhere. I'll get it later. It's late.) I don't really care about that. I do care that she attributes such negative intentions to Leia. I find it OOC. There's is no reason for her to draw the conclusion she does in this passage. I disagree with the assessment. It was on the LOTR thread, I would guess.

The last passage was about Leia and Luke, though, not Mara, so I do retract that.

Leia's a very difficult character to write for me - although this may be partly because I love Luke so much! She has a lot of anger and unresolved tensions in her. I try to bring out her diplomacy and fairness in my writing...She's an extremely hard character to understand, because people like her - cold and refined - are often miles away from where the "real" people are.

Mara, on the other hand, has the passion and spark so many envy. She's been through a tremendous amount in her life, and grown in extraordinary ways since she was Emporer's Hand. She's forgiving and generous. And obviously very much in love with her husband - the kind of love that one in a million find and keep.

Perhaps this can be seen another way. Elrond in LOTR, is a more appealing and interesting to most because of his immortality and elven characteristics. His brother, who chose to be mortal, isn't as interesting to read about, yet devoted himself to his people just as much as Elrond did. So while Leia may not be strong in the Force, as Luke and Mara are, she has given an enormous amount to the people. Of course, this has not come without consequences, such as her neglect of her family.

I'll find the rest tomorrow. For now I'll retract because I don't feel like tracking it down.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't agree with her views on Leia. I really don't. I think I do have the right to disagree. Furthermore, I responded to the post above that says she never said anything bad. I don't think it's bad. I just believe it's not on the mark with Leia. I did one her posts today where she admits she didn't even watch any of the movies to get characterization. She just read Timothy Zahn's books, because she was only really interested in writing Mara.

From The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook:
    A Han/Leia story: "... He loved that woman now. There'd never be another now.
    And he was Leia's first serious relationship, not that she's come out and said so. Sometimes a man knew things. She rounded a corner. 'Leia,' he called in a loud stage whisper. 'Slow down!'
    This was the first time he'd felt serious. Committed. He'd die with her before he was unfaithful."

- written by Kathy Tyers.

So clearly, she'd gotten at least SOME of the Han/Leia dynamics right -- not to mention the actual Truce at Bakura novel itself, which was pretty good from H/L standpoint.

I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what changed in her writing between then and now in terms of characterization of the characters, but I suspect it may have more to do with DR than not. I would hardly expect authors to say "They made me do it" and expect to write in that series again.

As a side-note to what I believe was the WORST characterization change by her...

"Luke knew now that seeing evil -- and declining to challenge it -- broke his code as surely as calling on evil did."

And that was a first-person POV, so it's not like it was an in-universe historian thinking that's what Luke thought; it was what Luke, himself, thought.

In any case -- I have digressed too much from the topic at hand. The point I was trying to make is -- try not to take individual author comments and weigh them without first considering their bulk of work as a portion of the weight as well.

21. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Very nicelly put dp4m.
    Also, Tiershon, could I have an exact link to that quote? So that I may view that post in it's intended context?

22. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I agree with Trell. A link to that quote would be nice to have.

23. Jansons_Scary_Twin

Jansons_Scary_Twin Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Three of the Forgotten Realms authors worked on a book under a pseudonym with the last name of Awlinson.

Awlinson = All in one :)

24. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    So to get back to the original question who is the Star Wars author with the fake bio: Tyers or Cunningham? Any thoughts anyone?

25. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Should have asked for her friend's pen name. If she still refused to give it, then maybe she was leading you on, trying to sound cooler than she may actually be to you. If she gave it too you, then maybe you could have her give your compliments to her friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.