main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors fake their names and bios?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Valyn, Oct 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Elaine Cunningham wrote a lot of D&D books which might indicate a pseudonym.

I would say of the two, Cunningham is probably most likely. Tyers seems a lot more open than Cunningham by having a web page and having her picture online.

2. Violento

Violento Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Well, elaine cunningham does have a website, as for online picture, not that I can find.

She also has an adress to write to:

"Elaine Cunningham

11 South Angell Street, #481

Providence, RI 02906-5206"

Now if there is some kind of odd letter forwarding that is done, I have no clue.

3. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    I have see a few pictures of Cunningham online.

Her writting a Forgotten Realms book doens't mean she is writing as somebody else. The Avatar Trilogy was a special case. Incidentally Troy Denning wrote the third book.

My guess with what has been said is that the teacher is full of it.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    "My guess with what has been said is that the teacher is full of it."

Yeah, that's what I was guessing. :)

5. Talon_Knightwing

Talon_Knightwing Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2002
    No offense to anyone involved, but honestly i don't buy it either.

6. Admiral__Ackbar

Admiral__Ackbar Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2002
    http://www.geocities.com/pulsar_skate2002/elainecunningham.jpg

Thers a pic of Elaine Cunningham. I doubt the teacher's telling the truth, intentionally or not, but thats just MO.

Elaine Cunningham has been seen everywhere at conventions and stuff. Her fan mail is for Rhode Island, but it isnt necessarily her home.

7. Violento

Violento Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    "Her fan mail is for Rhode Island, but it isnt necessarily her home."

That is the same thing I said, when I said, if she has some kind of forwarding done, or not, I do not know.

8. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I thought that I read somewhere that Kathy Tryers took on this persona of being a mom and born again Christian to get a writing contract she needed to survive and just holds on to that persona to protect her privacy, but that was long before TTAB came out, so I have no hope of finding it, so I could easily have confused her with someone else and I can't back that up with any written proof at this point.

9. PuppetMaster42

PuppetMaster42 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2000
    "I think there was a rumor going around that Dafydd ab Hugh over writing for DS9 was Peter David writing more graphically violent stories under a pen name -- but that was likely just rumor."

I have been at a convention (DragonCon) were both Peter David and Dafydd ab Hugh were in attendance. They are two seperate people. Dafydd was being a wit in his bio for a ST novel and claimed not to be Peter David, thus starting the rumor that they were the same person.

10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Okay, maybe Tyers is the front runner then. Valyn, why not print out pictures of both and ask your teacher to just tell you. SHe should not have brought it up if it was such a big secret.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I have been at a convention (DragonCon) were both Peter David and Dafydd ab Hugh were in attendance. They are two seperate people. Dafydd was being a wit in his bio for a ST novel and claimed not to be Peter David, thus starting the rumor that they were the same person.

See! Hence my claiming my wild rumors were just that -- rumors! :D

12. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    If I remember, I'll tell my teacher that that every NJO author has been seen at conventions and stuff and their book pics match their physical IRL appearances. At least, that's what I've garnered from this site.

So, if she was lying or not, she might just say that maybe her friend actually doesn't write Star Wars but writes something else. Who knows?
    I don't want to call her on lying, though...as my grade is in her dominion. :)

13. accrispin

accrispin Author of the Han Solo Trilogy star 1 VIP

Jul 11, 1998
    Oh, for goodness sake!

I've met Kathy Tyers, talked to her on the phone, etc. She's exactly who she claims to be.

I've met Walter Jon Williams, Peter David, Dafydd ab Hugh, Mike Stackpole, Aaron Allston, Kevin Anderson and Rebecca Moesta, Kristin Kathryn Rusch, Timothy Zahn, Vonda McIntyre and Barbara Hambly. All of them are exactly the way they're presented in their author bios and match their author pictures.

I've met hundreds of authors over the years, since I was a SFWA officer for longer than anyone else on the planet, and very few authors put out fake bios. Some do, I grant -- but not any of the ones I've ever met who write for Star Wars.

Kathy Tyers is a lovely person, friendly, warm, and truly a fan of Star Wars.

If you need to dump on someone, dump on ME, because I am a 900 year old hermaphrodite who lives on Mars.

;-)

-Ann C. Crispin

14. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Several authors have reasons to use another name.
    When Michael Crichton wrote his first book, while he was in medical school, he was afraid that he would be flunked out because of the contravercial topics that he covered in it.

15. LuBusVassal

LuBusVassal Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Hmm, Pen names I understand, n faking where they live n such is understandable, but I doubt they out right lie when they put their bios together that they put on their book socks n such.

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I am a 900 year old hermaphrodite who lives on Mars.

[face_shocked]

And here I was thinking I was the only one! Of course, I haven't published a Star Wars novel. . .

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And here I was thinking I was the only one! Of course, I haven't published a Star Wars novel. . .

Your name is Millhouse? I thought I was the only one...

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Your name is Millhouse? I thought I was the only one...

:confused:

19. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Thank you, Ms. Crispin! :D

Mastadge-see the episode of the Simpsons where Bart and the gang declare war on Shelbyville. There's another kid in Shelbyville named Millhouse.

20. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I, for one, think that the teacher was telling the truth--as far as she knew. Her friend couldn't have been writing NJO books, but it's entirely possible that she is, say, Jude Watson. Or the teacher may not know Star Wars from Star Trek, or any sci-fi for that matter.

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.