main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors including elements of deleted scenes from the movies in their stories

Discussion in 'Literature' started by kttch809, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kttch809

kttch809 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2005
    Recently when I was reading the Tales of the Bounty Hunters and the Tales from Jabba's Palace anthologies, I noticed an interesting thing. Both Dave Wolverton and Timothy Zahn seem to have included elements from deleted scenes in A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.

In Dengar's tale, he is tied to the ground to be consumed by the "Teeth of Tatooine." The Teeth of Tatooine turns out to be the sandstorm that the main characters walk though to their ships after Jabba's sail barge is destroyed. Dengar even sees the silhouettes of the Falcon and Luke's X-wing as the sandstorm gets worse.

The other one is in Mara Jade's tale. She seemed to be trying out for the man who sounds suspiciously like the human "Jabba" that Han and Chewie confront in Docking Bay 94. Of course he ended up being replaced by a CGI Jabba, but seeing as Tales from Jabba's Palace was published before the '97 Special Editions were released it seems as though Zahn was treating the unaltered scene as canon material. I believe that he was trying to explain away the metamorphosis of Jabba from human to Hutt with this:
    "I was Jabba the Hutt," he repeated smugly. "Not really, of course, but for a time, many on Tatooine thought so. I was the one, you see, whom Jabba always sent outside the palace to meet with people. Kept his anonymity that way. A good smuggler always keeps a few secrets."

Does anybody else have any examples of authors doing this kind of thing?

2. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Well i haven't read either of those two works, but i've found most of the things that i've read to be pretty consistant with what was shown on the screen.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There have been mentions of Carrie and Fixer from the deleted Anchorhead scenes, but I can't think of any specific sources offhand.

4. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    The Band's Tale from Tales from the Mos Eisely Cantina. I believe they were also referenced in one of Stackpole's X-wing books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.