main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors of the EU, you are appreciated!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GENERAL_FEL, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GENERAL_FEL

GENERAL_FEL Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    To any and all the Star Wars EU authors who might frequent these boards...I just wanted to take a moment to let you know that your labors are most appreciated! :)

Your stories provide me with hours of adventure, wonder, thrills, and entertainment. Sometimes it seems that the authors take a whole lot of unnecessary beating here on the boards over thier hard work, and I just wanted to let you know that this is one reader who considers the money used to purchase your book(s) as money well spent. Thank you for sharing your vision of the galaxy far, far away.

EU fans and EUDF, chime in with your appreciation!

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    hear, hear.

3. mistryljediskywalker

mistryljediskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    yes, they are greatly appreciated by those fans of the EU!

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A British cheer for the EU authors (though in this case with an American accent):
    Hip-hip hooray!
    Hip-hip hooray!
    Hip-hip hooray!

5. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Now we know why your icon's nose is brown.. :p I'm kidding....

I'll give pre-NJO authors that.

NJO authors ignore all the other author's work, and character histories, so I don't really appreciate that.

6. Jedi_Horn_888

Jedi_Horn_888 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2002
    I second that.

Authors, you have provided many hours of laughs and enjoyment to this reader. MAy you continue to churn out great works for us, the EU fans, to read and enjoy.

Horn out.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd like to second this, and especially to the new authors who are getting picked apart by people like me on these boards.

It's still great writing, even if we're picky. :)

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    EU Authors gave me many hours of enjoyment of the saga that I love. Here's to them! :)

9. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Yes...Encore...encore

10. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    GO MICHAEL STACKPOLE!!!!

in case any of you were wondering, he created my favorite character, Corran Horn, so i own him a debt of gratitude.
    And all ofthe other writers, not just star wars, have helped me out tremendously in my growing want to be able to read good and do other things good too... :D
    Reading is my life, and i thoroughly enjoy every bit of Star Wars reading that i can get.
    Thanks writers!

11. vader_slayer

vader_slayer Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2002
    <Raises glass to ALL EU authors>

12. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    As an afterthought if any Authors decided to go down to the Prancing Bantha I'll buy you a drink as well. Maybe two if you're lucky. :)

13. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    You authors have taken 1000's of hours of my time. And it;s been worth it.

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Aye. Hear's to the EU authors.

And you can't blame the NJO authors for getting certain things mixed up. The Star Wars mythos are alot of things to keep track of. Especially considering that many of these authors were not proir followers of Star Wars EU.

15. JEDI_KARRDE

JEDI_KARRDE Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2002
    : raises a glass of loamin ale Heres to the authors of the countless books in the njo and the eu in general"

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    A thread like this has been long in coming.

17. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Yes we tend to bitch a lot about what they write but when all is said and done they are a pretty good lot. How many of us would love the opportunity they received? ;)

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And you can't blame the NJO authors for getting certain things mixed up. The Star Wars mythos are alot of things to keep track of. Especially considering that many of these authors were not proir followers of Star Wars EU.

We most certainly CAN blame them for that, thanks very much. :)

We have to blame DR and LFL continuity editors as well, but there's enough to be shared. :)

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    You mean write a formal SW novel? A lot harder than we think it is. But maybe not, since we know all about the EU, don't we!

Still, that door only opens if you have the high contact passcodes to enter. A lot easier to make your own space opera than to borrow someone else's.

20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    My, dp4m. How unforgiving and ungrateful you are! :p

21. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I want to express my gratitude as well. AND IT is hard. The latest insider had an interview with the authors of the Force Heretic trilogy. And they said they couldn't believe how much stuff there was and to cross reference and stuff.....so, I hope this means something.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ::stomps foot continuously::

My appreciation goes out as well- the EU authors have, IMO, forged a vision of Star Wars that I find to be, for the most part, truer to the spirit of the OT than the PT itself has been, and for that I am eternally grateful for the hours of entertainment you have provided me (well, except for The Crystal Star, perhaps... ;;D ).

23. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    A big cheer to you all, especially Bob Salvatore, Tim Zahn, Mike Stackpole, Aaron Allston, Elaine Cunningham, Matt Stover, Walter Jon Williams and Troy Denning.

24. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >NJO authors ignore all the other author's work, and character histories, so I don't really appreciate >that.

I disagree. Most of the authors in NJO have written SW before, and even those who haven't (Luceno, Denning, Keyes, and others) have paid close attention to previous works.

I do agree that no one here probably knows just how hard it is to write a SW novel. Knowledge of the continuity is good, yes, but I doubt if it accounts for more than 30% (at the most!) of a novel. Dialogue, descriptions, characterizations... All these are *much* harder than the average Zev would think, even for experienced authors.

TC

25. Kyp_

Kyp_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2002
    Good thread, with all the bashing going around lately, it's good to see some actual appreciation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.