main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors playing favorites.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fett1201, Jul 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fett1201

Fett1201 Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    Does it annoy anyone else that star wars authors always play favorites with their characters? Like how in Stackpole's NJO books Corran seems to be Luke & Mara's best friend and in others hes just your run-of-the-mill jedi. Also in "I,Jedi" he is the best student in the Academy & saves Luke 18,000 times. He even beats him in a lightsaber duel.

2. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Corran never beat Luke. Did he? And I don't consider that playing favorites, you would naturally fall back on what you know. So why would Stackpole try to use Kyp(someone elses charecter over) over Corran(his own charecter)

Corran didn't ave Luke at all, infact Luke actually save Corran(on the pirate planet against the Jeswanni or whatever)

3. AdmiralJacen

AdmiralJacen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2002
    Actually Corran hasn't been written as a 'Perfect' Character in the rouge squadron books he was wrong about Tycho being a 'Traitor' to the NR and actually got him put on trial, in I,Jedi he did beat Luke in a lightsaber fight but he did have Corsec training that involves Brawling tactics and Luke had no formal hand to hand training.

Also when he went to blow up Exar Kun's tempple and almost died because he underestimated Exar Kun. Mara Jade had to save his life.

Then theirs the fact that he couldn't decide on how to track down his own wife Corsec way or Jedi way. Finally after Eligos pointed it out did he get it.

4. AdmiralJacen

Jul 8, 2002
    doh Trell beat me too it, also I would like to point out that when Corran beat Luke, Luke was distracted by Gantoris's death I think and didn't have his mind on the battle

5. Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes

Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    I do think they play favorites. It makes sense, too. I mean, if you were an author that wrote a previous book, wouldn't you use an old character and make them a main character? Kinda like with the DT books. Corran suddenly appeared, along with Jagged (who just happens to be related to Wedge). Sounds all Rogue Squadron-like to me.

6. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Exactly, use what you know, Stackpole can get into Corrans head because he is Corrans head. He can't get into Kyps head as well because thats Andersons head.

7. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Authors write the characters they feel comfortable with. I'd rather have MS writing about Corran well than about someone else's character and doing a mediocre job.

8. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Of course authors play favourites. It doesn't do much good for the saga but I bet we would all do the same in their place.

9. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    One author that I've found did not play favorites was Aaron Allston. I remember reading the Wraith Squadron novels and felt that we get to know each member of the squadron. During these books, Allston doesn't really focus on one character throughout the novel. We see that all of the squadron members get a part of the novel for themselves.

In Stackpole's X-Wing novel, I thought characters like Riv Shiel were cool, but they were barely expanded on.

10. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I agree about Alston's novels. It is of significant benefit that so many charachters get a good amount of writing.

11. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Allston's fair, I agree.

12. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    I agree that Allston is very fair with the way he handles his characters and the creations of others. As you've said, he doesn't focus obessively on one or two characters to the detriment of others. Also, he did a good job of integrating Rogue Squadron characters into his X-Wing books and referencing them, adding to the entire series' sense of continuity. I was very dissapointed when Stackpole didn't reciprocate during "Isard's Revenge," hardly referencing the Wraiths at all, even Myn Donos, a member of the Rogues at the time.

There were times when I wish Allston were less fair, however. For example, I was really hoping a Wraith or two would show up in "Starfighters of Adumar." Instead, however, he showed that he works well with other author's creations, which I admired despite my dissapointment. Even in "Rebel Dream" and "Rebel Stand," Allston resisted the urge to make the Wraiths main characters, something which Stackpole could not do in his earlier NJO efforts. The Wraiths barely appear in "Rebel Dream" and are only secondary characters in "Rebel Stand."

I don't agree with the sentiment stated here that author's should write favorites, that it's easier for them that way. These are professional author's working in a shared universe. It's part of their job to understand the varying characterizations and portray them accurately. After all, Luke, Leia, and Han are Lucas's creation, yet they must write from their perspective, and most do it well. It's not a lack of ability on the part of the author, it's a lack of desire. Stackpole, for example, simply likes to write about Corran, and Anderson likes to write about Kyp. When an author repeatedly focuses on his own creations while ignoring others that should be included, it feels like fan fiction to me.

13. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

When an author repeatedly focuses on his own creations while ignoring others that should be included, it feels like fan fiction to me.

100% agreement. Are you listening Mr. Zahn?

14. CommanderDarienCanix

CommanderDarienCanix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    Every author has a favorite characture, and they don't make them perfect if they know what they're doing, which Stackpole does. It's not a fault, it's perfectly normal.

15. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    Authors play favorites because they're human. They might not even realize it. Stackpole does puts Corran in a lot, but Anderson does the same with Kyp. Zahn, of course, has Mara and Karrde and Palleon. And, Tyers has Mara and Luke, (two characters that were not her's in the first place. She's a lot better than a lot of other authors, however).

Nothing is ever going to be perfect. But, I will agree about one thing...I did get sick of Corran lecturing Luke in I, Jedi. And, the fact that he beat him in that lightsaber fight. Please, get real.

In fact, I'm tired of all the characters nagging at Luke. Even Mara, one of my favorites.

Anyway, back to the point, authors are a little biased at times. It's just something we have to accept. :)

16. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Personally I don't see Corran as perfect, just extremlly analitical. If he were perfect he wouldn't have any of his analytical moments, because he woudld never of needed them.

17. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

So, Corran can't lecture Luke on the Force, but Mara can?

18. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Wait what? Were'd that come from?

By the way I feel that anybody with Force experiance is qulified to give out there own opinions on it since it is such a personal thing with many interpitations.

Also Mara had Force experiance for about as long as Luke did and she had a ruffer time of it so she did have some diffrent and valid points about it.

19. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Also Mara had Force experiance for about as long as Luke did and she had a ruffer time of it so she did have some diffrent and valid points about it.

She had a 'ruffer' time? How so? She is incapable of self-reproach, or guilt. She has absolutely NO remorse for the things she's done. Whereas Luke feels guilty for every little thing he says and does.
    C'mon, Mara never had a single struggle over her murderous ways, only giving up her selfish existence caused her some anguish. She actually seems to feel pride over being a psycho.

20. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Kier...
    "So, Corran can't lecture Luke on the Force, but Mara can?"

Well, let's just let Mara (well, Elton John, actually) tell us the reason why that is...
      "I'm a bitch, I'm a bitch
      Oh the bitch is back
      Stone cold sober as a matter of fact
      I can bitch, I can bitch
      `Cause I'm better than you
      It's the way that I move
      The things that I do"
    ... [face_plain]

21. AdmiralJacen

Jul 8, 2002
    how do you get it that just because Mara doesn't say I'm, sorry every two seconds that she's a psycho? I mean C'mon their in the middle of a war here. Also, Lukes nature is all about self sacrifice of sorts, he went over to the dark side to save the galaxy and he faced down darth vadar, I think Mara's lecturing is just her trying to protect him from his self sacrificing nature

22. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Hey Kier which authors have you enjoyed in the Star Wars universe?

23. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Another Mara=bitch thread(hear we go)

Well anyway I say just because she realizes that at the time of her palpy days she didn't know any better and didn't know to know any better does not maker her remorsles. She just realizes very matter of factly that she was on the wrong side and her attitude seems to be "well I'm over that I'm with the light side now (and knowing it)" She's a little cold before the "mindmeld" thing but after that she is more middle of the road.

Oh the part were she suffered and such was the five some odd years were she had a disemboled voice in her head telling her to kill Luke. Also dispite never going to the dark side during her Hand days I'm sure that she had wavered towareds it at time.

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Trell...
    "Oh the part were she suffered and such was the five some odd years were she had a disemboled voice in her head telling her to kill Luke."

Hearing "voices in your head telling you to kill someone" is traditional (but not necessarily definitive) proof that someone may be psychotic. :)

25. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm going to say your half kidding because we all know that the voice was slammed in ther by Palpy.

(Note this has no relavince, but I'm not likeing Mara cause shes hot or anything. When I first started to like her I was to young to be really into girls)(Just so you all don't think I'm some fanboy whos in love with Maras "Death Stars.")

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.