main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors trying to out-do each other?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedimarine, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    As we get deeper into the NJO, I'm starting to realize that each author(s) is trying desperately to make a dramatic turning point occur in his/her novel. It seems like in every book something Monumental to the war effort occurs, which would lead to utter disaster without it.

Now before you scream at me...Yes, I know that is what star wars novels are about...but in the past, each author had his/her own story to do with as they wanted...with the NJO, we have SO much interconnection, that having SO many dramatic turning points is REALLY starting to bore down the plot. Every author has their answer to the Vong problem, and then the next author has theirs. is Alpha Red the answer? Zonama Sekot? Tahiri? Nom Anor? seems like the authors want to out do each other for what will eventually become the final victory condition.

I think it's a little too much.

2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I don't get it.

There've been two turning points, Coruscant and Ebaq. That's it. No author claimed that Tahiri, Anor or Alpha Red were the answer to the Vong. Alpha Red is there as a moral test for the Jedi. I doubt they'll actually used it unless as a last resort.

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Actually, the authors don't have much to do with what you've described.

All of the key plot points - have been developed by the NJO planners prior to getting the author onboard to write the novel. By the time the author has been chosen, they have a set of guidelines for the plot/characters that they are required to follow for the overall NJO storyline.

4. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    The entire NJO storyline was pre-scripted, with main events being planned out. Although each author is given some creative license(such as Luke and Mara having a child) the main points were there from teh start. This was to make it possible for a release within a matter of months of the previous novel, and to prevent some terrible mess of a storyline. The authors already know what the previous/ next authors will generally be doing because it's all in some vault at Del Rey or somewhere else.

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Why would you think we'd scream at you? Ah, these sort of books are supposed to be epic and have dramtaic finales . . . as all good books should.

6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I understand the prescripting...and I also agree that there have only been a few major turning points in the NJO...

But

The Authors, being given this prescripting, take the plot points they were given and try to make it into the "end-all, be-all" of the whole NJO...every book has some consequence that seems to be not so important in the next book for another author, who is developing his plot point.

I don't know...maybe it will all come together in the end...but I don't see how that can happen without ALL the authors working together on Unifying Force.

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    They don't call it "The Unifying Force" for nothin' ;)

8. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    Hmmm. I've never seen it that way (i.e., "out-doing each other").

Instead, I've seen it as continued progress in a measure-countermeasure exchange. A continuing evolution of weapons and technology for both sides.

Obviously, in VECTOR PRIME, the New Republic was ill-prepared to deal with YV biotech. However, NR countermeasures developed in the DARK TIDE books, (i.e., stutter fire, extended sensors/shields, coraldusters, bafforr pollen, etc.) and YV countermeasures developed as well in the DARK TIDE books (i.e., dovin basal screens, etc.).

As each side "equalizes" the playing field, another develops an advantage.

The battles in the same sense, mirror this ebb and flow in the technology used to this fight galactic civil war.

I don't see it as "outdoing" anything. Its merely progression and evolution, adaptation and modification. Enemies get familiar with one another, they press an advantage when they have it. Eventually, that advantage gets minimized/neutralized. That's just the way it goes.

I guess some of us read with different perspectives and insights. The above is how I see it.

Ana V

9. snarf5181

snarf5181 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 18, 2002
    Nom anor's rise to power, Tahiri's other side, and Zonoma Sekot have all been major plot points in force heretic. I don't see these being huge examples of one-upmanship (you know what i mean :p ).

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Um, IMHO, author's trying to "out-do" each other only leads to one thing - a better product!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.