main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors you'd like to see work in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Moogi, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moogi

Moogi Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2007
    What authors would you like to see create a Star Wars novel or comic? And why? I was thinking about this the other day and thought I'd ask everyone else' opinions.

I would like to see either Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman write Star Wars novels. Pratchett seems like an odd choice, but I think a comical EU novel would be great. And, he can also write serious stories if he so chooses. As for Gaiman... well, I have a theory. Neil Gaiman can write ANYTHING and make it good. Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't already been asked to write a Star Wars novel (or comic, for that matter).

2. Drakonnen

Drakonnen Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    George R. R. Martin, author of A Song of Ice and Fire.

He could write line of more realistic, grittier novels, where you'd see characters come to life more than any of them have in recent memory.

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Peter F. Hamilton

He's a touch more over to the Sci-fi...but his characters are the best in print.

4. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    David Weber. Best author of exploding spaceships that I've ever read.

He actually was negotiating to write one at one point; his sticking point, not too unreasonably, was that LFL match how much he made on his most recent book. By the time they agreed to it, the price had gone up not-insignificantly. :(

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Matthew Stover. Timothy Zahn. Michael Stackpole. Aaron Allston. Greg Keyes. James Luceno. Troy Denning. Karen Traviss. Ann Crispin. Daniel Keys Moran.

Brian Daley (Hey, you asked who I'd like, not who I'd expect).

John Ostrander. John Jackson Miller. Welles Hartley. Jeremy Barlow. Darko Macan.

Oh, wait, you want mainstream people who haven't written Star Wars before? Should've said so.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I'm with Havac, I generally like most of the peeps we got working on the franchise these days (though, creatively, I disagree with some choices).

For new people, I'd kill to have Peter David write Star Wars.

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Admittedly, his Trek novels are the only digestible ones.

But recently, I've had my doubts. One reason he made the good Trek books is because he wrote outside of what the other writers had done.

I fear he'd be unable to write a story in continuity. And what happens if it's awesome?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Really? His media tie-in novels are usually the richest within the established canon and continuities. Specifically his Babylon 5 novels as well as Vendetta, Q-Squared, etc...

9. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Me. I'd like to see me get a shot at a Star Wars novel or comic.

And I'm dead serious. [face_plain] :)

10. ModernLifeisWar

ModernLifeisWar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2007
    I'd really like a Jeph Loeb Tim Sale star wars graphic novel.

11. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Moogi, the two names that immediately popped up when I read the thread title were the two you mentioned. Not really because they'd be good at SW, just because they're two of my favourite authors. Along with David Mitchell.

I do like the authors that we have working on SW stuff, though.

12. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Ah...he was always very good at tying in with the shows...Vendetta was like watching a multi-episode arc. But I don't think he ever referenced another Star Trek book...this worked fine with how Star Trek developed their continuity...but if he were to write a Star Wars book, say in 15 ABY or 45 ABY...you just couldn't get away with doing something like that.

Unless...you gave him a Dark Times Era book and had him write completely original characters...then I'm on board fully!

*Note: Never read B5, so I'm at a disadvantage there.*

13. DancinBrud

DancinBrud Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    I'd love to see Brian K. Vaughan get a six-issue arc of Rebellion focusing on Lando. Seriously, this is my number one Star Wars dream project.

BKV's style of humor, action and plot twists would fit Star Wars really well. Unfortunately, he's said that he's no longer going to do licensed work -- only his own original creations. Bummer.

14. The_Pantless_Wookiee

The_Pantless_Wookiee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 18, 2007
    I love Terry Pratchett's books but I have absolutely no interest in seeing him write a SW novel; his style just doesn't fit SW and he does far better writing without the limitations that would come with writing something that has to fit in with someone else's continuity.

As for authors that I would like to see, I agree with Havac and dp4m. I enjoy the current authors and I can't think of anyone else that I'd like to work in SW.

15. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    John Scalzi!!

16. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    On the other hand, Star Wars has a Holocron for every author and the expectation you work within the framework of the Expanded Universe. I think David appreciates the fine joy of tying distant bits of canon together well enough that he'd make the effort to get it right for Star Wars.

17. Zekks_Darkness

Zekks_Darkness Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2005
    Robert Jordan, just because I REALLY, REALLY want to know the fine details on EVERYTHING the characters are wearing, their hairstyles, every feature down to the slightest mole! [face_dancing]

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Jack Mcdevitt: Polaris and Seeker

Lawrence Watt-Evans: The Wizard Lord and The Ninth Talisman

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Heh . . . "If a picture is worth a thousand words, then I need about a thousand words right here . . ."

20. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Terry Brooks, but I don't see him wanting to do that. Far more invested in Shannara... and a rich world it is. Major example of how one can jump around in timeline, introduce great compelling characters in new generations of the same family without ever having to go to other writers.

Reading Brooks lately I've realized something... I think Star Wars would be served well by doing more stories that are more "Fellowship" like. Like KOTOR was served very well by having Jedi paling around with various other types of people. We could see some tales of Jedi picking up apprentices in their mid to late teens this way. Some adventure, "I need you" and a cast of scoundrels and other sorts of characters. It would work oh so well.

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    C.S. Friedman would get my vote. She is explores magic in a way that is very similar to the force in her Coldfire Trilogy and the new Feast of Souls. I think she could bring a fresh spin into a galaxy of far, far away. If you've never read her stuff seek out Black Sun Rising. I think she could do a great job of writing anything about the Sith, she really captures her evil characters and their reasons for being evil very well.

22. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    I'd like to see a Steven Niles SW comic book. That would be... interesting.

~lordmaul13

23. crazythorn

crazythorn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2007
    Brooks did do Star Wars, didn't he? The TPM novelization?

I want Garth Nix to write YA Star Wars. [face_love]

24. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    A Dusty Duck novel?

I've got to think more about the authors I'd like to see though.

25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Matthew Reilly. He's a die hard fan and his style would fit the franchise perfectly.

aaaand

Michael Dobbs. I'd like to see more fleshing out of the Star Wars politics, even though...this is highly unlikely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.