main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Avalanche vs. Red Wings

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Bujo, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bujo

Bujo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Avalanche beat the Sharks tonight 1-0.

Yes, tonight was the premiere of Star Wars. Yes, I know this is not a sports forum.

However . . .

Wampas, I understand your infatuation with the Wings. Like the Dark Side, they are very tempting. I just thought I would get a thread started where (friendly) jibes can be exchanged for the next week or so.

So let your voices be heard. For all who don't know what's going on, the Colorado Avalanche and the Detroit Red Wings will start playing Saturday afternoon in the Western Conference hockey finals (the last series before the Stanley Cup).

Two words: Patrick Roy
    OK, two more: Peter Forsberg
    What the heck: Joe Sakic

2. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Go Nordiques!

3. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I love hockey. :D I don't have a favorite team, but I LOVE watching the 'Lanch and Wings play. They are BOTH great teams and I'm really looking forward to their series.

4. Captain Page

Captain Page Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    Avs Baby! All the way for a repeat championship!

Sakic, Forsberg, Blake, Foote, Drury, and, the greatest of them all, Roy. What more is there to say? Avs in 6.

5. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    ---> This thread: 12' 8"

---> My head: 6' 5"

6. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Names? You want names? Okay...

Steve Yzerman, Luc Robitaille, Brett Hull, Dominic Hasek, Brendan Shannahan, Sergei Federov, Nic Lidstrom, Chris Chelios...

Oh yeah, and Scotty Bowman...

Uh, how many folks on the Avs have scored over 500 goals?

7. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Is he any relation to Oofty Boofty Bowman?

8. Bujo

Mar 18, 2002
    Wampas-

All those names you mentioned, are they members of the Detroit Geriatrics??

9. jedi_kiss_rock_

jedi_kiss_rock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    avs will put on a good show mut i think the red wings will take it:(

they are both good teams , we will see....

10. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I like the Black Lion from Voltron.

Jeff

11. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    As a former resident of the great state of Michigan, I will add my two cents...

GO WINGS!

Thank you. ;)

12. Bujo

Mar 18, 2002
    I am re-opening this thread based on a private message I received. Here is how it breaks down:

Since game 1 vs. the Wings I called the demise of the Avs. After game 6 I predicted the collapse of the Avs, especially after their debacle in game 7.

Yes, Wampas it was disheartening, however now I have NO choice but to root for the Red Wings for the Cup (long story, go WINGS).

On a different note, sorry for not posting lately. Honestly, I have found not too much relevant to post on. I'm sorry for my lax approach and I miss talking to such people as the Wampsa, Jedisister, Solo, etc. I love this place and feel glad that I helped form its name. But to me it just doesn't FEEL the same. Rules have arisen and politics have gone forth (maybe good, maybe bad), but I have not found a niche where I feel I belong.

I know very few people other than the Wampas may read this, but it's somebody like the Wampas that I need to read this. You guys are great. Go Wings!

13. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I was rooting for the Avs last year, and was glad to see Borque lift the cup. It really was like a Disney ending (and not just because it was on ABC). I gained a lot of respect for Sakic during those games too. Still not a Forsburg fan. But I like him better than Tchuck and Stevensen, or Domi or Brauchier. I was a little worried about the Wings chances, Hasek seemed to be letting in early goals. I think the longest it took the Avalanche to score before game six was five shots. And in overtime, they were impossible to stop it seemed. Game seven was some kind of fluke, like the Red Wings were putting on a hockey camp. I think it was actually Roy's twin who has never been on ice before. It definitely wasn't Patrick. The rest of the team seemed to let him down too after that. In the other games, the Red Wings got bad chances at best, except for a few cases where they pressed hard. In seven, they had free reign. I'm not sure what caused that, and I can honestly say that if the Avs had won, the NHL 2night pundits would be saying the same things about the Hurricanes' chances. People are saying, "The Patriots beat the Rams," but that was only one game. The Hurricanes have to do it four times. That's a bit trickier.

And glad to have you back and around Bujo. I think the boards have gotten a little less rushed lately with the official status being out of the way now, and with Episode II being in the theaters. I think there's a lot more to do, to get involved in, but right now we're in some sort of post-Episode II depression and slow down period. Still a lot of collecting to be done, meetings to be had, and time to expand the group into bigger things I think.

Dwayne

14. yoda_boba

yoda_boba Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    GO AVS...wait...its a little late now...but GO AVS!

15. Bujo

Mar 18, 2002
    Congratulations Red Wings (booo)

16. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I missed the final game to see "Windtalkers" at a sneak preview. Mistake...I should have watched the game. :(

17. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Well if it turned out like game three, you could have seen Windtalkers, written a paper on the film, and still have caught the end. That was crazy. I remember when Gary Thorne said, "This is now the fourth longest game in Stanley Cup history" (it became third) and Bill Clement dryly remarked, "Oh good."

The final game wasn't as dramatic as the original three, but it was great to see it. Kind of wish Yzerman had won the Smythe, or Hasek certainly could have (set a record for shut outs, then set a new one), but Lidstrom really does a lot, even if his stats don't reflect it. Either way, good to see. I took off work to watch it.

Dwayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.