main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Avatar: Last Airbender] Fall of the Fire Empire, Part II (AU, Complete 1/31)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by MasterGhandalf, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 28: Blue Flames

Tong could hear the screams coming from down the tunnel, and the clash of steel on steel and occasional blast of flame. Around him, the rest of the rebels milled around in confusion, some of them heading in the direction of the attackers to engage them head-on, others attempting to form into some kind of order. Desperate to make some sort of sense out of what was going on, he grabbed a nearby earthbender by the arm. "Do you have any idea what's happening?" he asked. "I mean, besides the fact that we're being attacked?"

"Not a clue," the older man said, "but if you want my opinion, that stinking little noble was a spy, and she led them right to us! Now then, are you just going to stand there talking all day, or are you gonna help fight? If you're who I think you are, I've heard you're pretty good."

"Yeah," Tong said, "that's what they say. Let's go." The two earthbenders nodded at each other, and then began to push down the corridor through the crowd. Rounding a bend, they came to the source of the sounds- several of the guards clustered together, fighting with bending and weapons against a group of soldiers, some in Imperial regalia, most wearing the more drab and scavenged-looking armor of mercenaries. Some with open helmets and blades in their hands stood in front, but their chief purpose seemed to be to keep the rebels away from the skull-masked firebenders who crouched behind them, sending arcs of flame over their heads and down onto their enemies. Usually the earthbenders were quick enough to intercept the blasts with walls of rock or thrown boulders, but every so often they failed and a rebel fell, screaming in flames.

Tong spun and looked and the other earthbender, and a handful of others who'd followed them. "Are you all benders?" he asked, and they nodded. "Good. Now, follow me!" Taking command of the situation felt strange to the former slave, but something fundamental deep within him had awoken at the sight of the Imperial forces in his new home- what he had thought was a secure sanctuary. He was not going to die today or go back to slavery, and neither were any more of his fellows!

Dropping to one knee, he placed a hand on the earth and felt it as he had before, sensing the shape of the rock and the movements of those who stood on it. Gritting his teeth, he motioned for the other earthbenders to join him and then pushed forward as hard as he could, feeling them do the same behind him.

In front of him the earth buckled, and the rebels in front stumbled as a wave shot under them. What they felt, however, was nothing compared to that which was directed at the enemy soldiers. The floor beneath them shot upwards in sudden jagged waves, sending the swordsmen in front stumbling forwards into the waiting arms of the rebels. The firebenders in back had it much worse, as the force of the strike slammed them against the walls and ceiling and left them laying in broken heaps, unconscious or dead.

Before either side could react, however, the floor heaved violently and shards of rock began to fall from the ceiling. "Whatever you're doing, kid, stop it!" the voice of the first earthbender who'd spoken to him said from behind Tong. "You'll bring the whole fortress down!"

"I'm not doing anything!" Tong gasped as he stumbled backwards. The ground shook again, and then the whole area of ceiling over the skirmish simply caved in. Some of the rebels who'd been fighting managed to pull away in time; many did not. "I'm sorry," Tong whispered. "I didn't mean for that to happen."

Looking up, he saw the rocks finish falling, and briefly he saw beyond them. There he caught a glimpse of a familiar, brutal face, and suddenly he found someone else who was responsible for this death and misery.

Gian.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Gian?" Shu asked, his voice colder than ice. "What do you have to do with that mercenary fiend?"

"I hired him to bring me here," Jiazin said, her tone weak. Against Shu's sudden anger and int

2. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 29: The Moon Spirit

The hunting party emerged from the forest and stared out over the shore, Shiyan feeling foolish as she was forced to crane her neck around Yuan's head to get a better vantage. It was not a feeling she liked, and she hated the High Admiral all the more for forcing it on her. Something more he would owe her for when this distasteful partnership was concluded.

The path continued along the shoreline, and Yuan motioned for his men to continue riding along it. After a short distance, however, a pair of tracks departed from it and moved on towards a rocky outcropping. "That's them," Shiyan said, regarding the tracks intently. "They've left the road."

"I know that, girl," Yuan snarled. "I've got eyes. Men, follow me." He kicked his lizard into motion, forcing Shiyan to cling to his back in order to stay on as they followed the footprints among the rocks. There, on the edge of the water, they suddenly ceased. Yuan pulled up into a stop, the other riders bunching up behind him.

"What's going on?" he demanded. "Where'd they go? They couldn't have just vanished, and even a waterbender can't walk across the sea." Shiyan considered making a sarcastic comment about the High Admiral's knowledge of an art that had been all but extinct for almost a century, but decided antagonizing him now would probably only start a fight- and while the Chosen was certain she could take Yuan one-to-one, she was equally certain his men would rather violently object, and she couldn't take all of them at once. Instead she concentrated her efforts on scanning land and sea for any sign of a trail.

Surprisingly it was Cheng who provided the clue. "There- I see something!" the younger Chosen's voice rang out, and Shiyan and Yuan both spun in the direction to which she'd been pointing. There, near the horizon, was a sail.

"A ship," Yuan breathed incredulously. "That's how she always moves around so fast- she's got a ship! And now she's getting away!"

Shiyan gave a tight, predatory smile. "For now, maybe. But not for long."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kanoda stood at the side of the small vessel, watching the sea racing past. Yue was sitting in the stern with her legs crossed, moving her hands through a series of gestures that seemed to be creating and sustaining the current that was carrying them along. Feeling it was best not to disturb her while she was bending, he simply looked over the side and watched in fascination as the water bent itself along the boat's sides and propelled it forward without a need for sails. Yue had said that she wanted to be far from their starting point before she relaxed her power and allowed the winds and natural currents to do their work.

Looking backward, the young hunter saw something strange that seemed to be moving along atop the waves- little black dots that were coming steadily closer. Shading his eyes, he looked at them more intently- and then his eyes widened as he made out what they were. Giant lizards, running across the sea on their hind legs, each of them bearing at least two riders in Imperial armor.

"Yue!" he said, spinning to face her. "I think we're about to have trouble!"

"I see them," she said, turning to look in the direction he pointed. At that moment, one of the lizards moved ahead of the others and one of the figures on its back suddenly leaped into the air, spinning in a high arc and then landing lightly on the boat's prow, sword in hand. Kanoda barely had time to register Shiyan's black armor and golden facepaint before she struck, slamming into him and knocking him against the deck.

"You're not going to escape this time, spy," the Chosen hissed. "I'm not some barely-trained girl you can trick into setting you free."

Before Kanoda could reply, Shiyan suddenly jumped back, dodging blade-sharp shards of ice that were flinging themselves at her. The young hunter turned towards their source and saw Yue with her hands raised. "And I am not a child you can defeat without trying," she

3. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 30: Shadows of Things to Come

Jiazin awoke slowly, still feeling weary to the bone. The bed she was laying on was remarkably hard and uncomfortable- she was going to have to remember to have a harsh word with her maids about it. Then her eyes opened completely, and she realized that the surface she was lying on was not a bed at all but the hard, rocky floor of a tunnel, and the people surrounding her were not servants but hard-faced rebels. Sitting up, she saw the scorched and barely recognizable remains of Gian lying against one wall, and the memory of everything that had happened in the last few days came rushing back to her.

"By Agni," she muttered under her breath, "what have I done?" She'd only hoped to use the rebels to put pressure on her father, forcing him to reform- instead she'd ended up throwing in with their cause completely by killing a valuable agent on the Imperial payroll. And where had that strange blue fire come from?

"So," a voice said from nearby, "the noble is back with us." Jiazin looked up and saw a girl a little older than herself standing over her, clad in rough green and brown clothing. A brief pause, and her mind produced a name- Chaiy. The rebel's throat was bruised from where Gian had grabbed her, and her expression seemed torn between admiration and anger. From the looks of things, anger was winning.

"What happened?" Jiazin asked her.

Chaiy snorted. "For one thing, we just lost our base," she said. "After Gian died and you went down, the rest of the mercenaries bolted- we caught up to most of them, but a few made it out. If the Fire Empire- and your father- don't know where we are now, they soon will. Next time they won't bother with sending troops down- they'll just drop explosives and be done with it. That means we have to move, thanks to you."

"I didn't lead them here," Jiazin said. "Gian already knew where your base was- I was just a distraction for him. Besides, after what I did to him, I've got problems too. The Empress will definitely strip me of my title, and I'll be lucky to escape execution as a traitor."

"Yeah- I feel for you," Chaiy replied, in a tone that said she felt little of the sort. "But thanks to you the fight fell out the way it did, and my father got hurt real bad- he'll make it, but he's not in good shape. I'll buy this isn't what you meant to happen, but I'm not about to let you off the hook either."

The mention of the word "Father" set off bells in Jiazin's mind. "Let me go, now," she said quickly. "If I can get to my father quickly enough, I might be able to convince him to delay his reprisal." In truth, she hoped she could convince him that Gian had tricked her and she'd killed him in self-defense. It was the truth, after all, and sorting his daughter's fate out would hold him up long enough that the rebels might be able to get to safety. She didn't think Chaiy needed to know the specifics of that plan, however.

The older girl only laughed. "Yeah, we've seen how well your plans work out," she said. "And now that you've seen us, letting you go is the last thing I'm going to do. Don't worry- killing Gian is enough of a favor for us that we won't do the same to you." She motioned for a couple of nearby rebels. "Bind her hands. We're pulling out of here in the next few hours, and the governor's daughter here is coming with us, whether she likes it or not."

The idea of being imprisoned by peasant's rankled Jiazin, but she was too tired to protest or fight back as the rebels hurried forward and began to wrap thick ropes around her wrists. After that, the tunnels were filled with people rushing about for some time, and then they gathered all together in a group and began to head deeper into the underground system, presumably heading for another exit. They bore Jiazin with them.

Governor Yan Li of the great city of Long Du Shi looked sharply at the weary soldiers who had reported the battle at the rebel base to him. He was furious that Gian

4. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 31: Circles

An iron citadel stands atop the jagged rocks of an island in the storm-tossed seas far to the north and west of the Old Fire Nation lands. Apart from the citadel, the island is barren- completely devoid of even the smallest native life. It is little more than a series of jagged rocks projecting up from the waves, the only visible portion of some vast undersea mountain. There is no reason anyone would wish to come to this barren place, save for one- it is remote, and nearly inaccessible. Only the personal maps of the highest officials in the Fire Empire show it at all, and only the Empress's and one other mark it as being a place of significance.

This, however, is exactly what High Admiral Yuan, owner of the second map, desires.

For three generations the House of Zhao has maintained this fortress. It is staffed only by elite guards whose loyalty to both the Empire and the High Admiral personally is unquestioned, and they are sworn to an oath of secrecy regarding the place they protect. There are many who wonder at this, though they know better than to question their master's orders. After all, as far as they can tell, there is nothing in this Agni-forsaken place worth guarding. Only a select few, the most loyal of the loyal, know the truth.

In one chamber near the peak of the citadel's tallest spire, there is an iron box which is guarded day and night. An identical box rests in a chamber in its deepest basement. These boxes are the subject of much gossip among the guards (gossip that, of course, never leaves the citadel) concerning what they contain. All know it must be very valuable- some speculate that it must be a great treasure, or ancient scrolls upon which is written some secret lore of the Fire Sages, or an invincible weapon to be used only at the greatest need. None of these, however, explain why the boxes must be filled every so often with water, under the greatest secrecy.

None of the guards save those who bring the water suspect that each iron box contains nothing more or less than a fish.

The fish that is held in the chamber deep beneath the fortress is named Tui, and it has been trapped in the iron box for more than a hundred years. It is isolated from its power, which still suffuses the Spirit Oasis in the ruined city of the Northern Water Tribe, from its mate, held in another chamber high above, and from the moon that is another part of its being by layers of rock and iron. For the fish is no mortal creature- rather, it is the earthly vessel of the Moon Spirit, stolen by Admiral Zhao from its home long ago.

Within its prison, the fish circles. Once the circling was part of an eternal dance it played out with its mate, embodying the interaction of all opposing but tied forces in the universe. Together the spun the cycle of the tides, the seasons, and all of the world beyond. Now, however, robbed of its mate, the fish's circling is nothing more than the empty memory of what once was, and the dance of the ages is stilled. In the world beyond nothing moves, forward or back, and the oppressive reign of the Fire Empire endures without an end in sight. When Admiral Zhao took the spirits Tui and La captive, he did more than merely make a symbolic gesture against the most sacred site of his enemies- he tore an entire element from the cycle of balance. Now that cycle is broken, and the world stagnates.

Zhao might have gone farther- he had entertained notions of actually killing both spirits while they were weak, and thereby etching his name into history for all time- if Fire Lord Ozai hadn't come to him personally the night before he launched his assault and warned him that if he did anything to jeopardize the Fire Nation's hold on the world and survived it, Ozai would make sure he screamed for days before he died. Zhao, desiring glory but desiring more to preserve his own life, had therefore reined in his ambition and merely sealed the spirits away from each other and their elements, locked where none would ever find them again.

The spirit fish, however, is patie

5. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 32: Pursuit

It was several days after their encounter with Shiyan and the High Admiral that Yue regained the strength necessary to propel the boat with her waterbending routinely. Kanoda watched her with concern- it was clear to him that she hadn't been kidding when she said how hard drawing on her full power was on her body. Though her strength of spirit seemed undiminished, her body seemed very weary, and for once her true age was obvious from more than just her words and the weight of her eyes.

"Are you sure you're going to be all right?" he asked her the first evening after they had left the Imperial pursuers safely behind them.

Yue closed her eyes and nodded. "I'll be fine," she said softly. "I've drawn on the Moon Spirit's full power before, and it is always draining. Don't worry about me. Just keep us on course to the north until I'm ready to take over."

"All right." Kanoda turned and walked away, returning after a few minutes with a waterskin he'd found below deck, which he handed to Yue. "Here- you look like you could use this."

"Thank you," she said quietly, giving him a soft smile.

It was early the next morning when Kanoda took a brief glance at the seas behind them and saw the pillar of smoke rising in the distance. He squinted at it in puzzlement for a moment, wondering exactly what would be burning so far out in the middle of the sea, and then his eyes widened as a fearful idea occurred to him. Quickly scanning the deck, he found a small spyglass and held it to his eye so he could see the strange smoke with far greater detail. His fears were confirmed- with the added magnification of the glass, he could clearly make out the distinctive smokestack and metal gleam of a Fire Navy warship, not unlike the one that had raided his village so many years ago.

Kanoda found himself cursing under his breath- it was possible that this was just a random warship on patrol, but somehow he had the feeling that either Shiyan or High Admiral Yuan was on that vessel, and their presence here was anything but chance. Of all the unpleasant aspects of being a hero that he'd discovered since leaving home, he now decided that a personal nemesis was perhaps the one he could do without the most.

Dropping the spyglass, he hurried over to the edge of the ship, where Yue had simply curled up to sleep the previous night without even bothering to go to one of the hammocks belowdeck. Bending down, he began to shake her shoulder- he hated to disturb her, but felt that she needed to know that they were pursued. Blue eyes shot open almost instantly and the former princess of the North sat up, looking at Kanoda intently.

"What is it?" she asked. "Something's wrong- I can tell."

"Looks like we didn't do as good a job of getting away from the Fire Empire as we thought," Kanoda told her. "We've got an Imperial warship that looks like its following us- still a long way away, but closer than I think either of us wants."

"Let me see," Yue said, getting to her feet and picking up the spyglass. Raising it to her eye, she studied the sea behind them for a moment herself before setting it back down, shaking her head and scowling.

"You're right," she said. "We're being pursued, and I'm pretty sure I saw a flash of gold on the ship's prow. That means it's the personal vessel of either an Admiral or the Empress herself, and I don't think we're unlucky enough to have attracted the attention of two people in such a high position in such a short time."

"Then the High Admiral is out there," Kanoda said, "and I'd bet a year's worth of seal jerky that Shiyan's with him. Don't these people ever give up?"

Yue shook her head. "I knew Admiral Zhao, Yuan's grandfather, far better than I ever would have wanted to, and I've heard stories about Yuan himself. Neither one of them is someone to give up the hunt if their pride is at stake. As for the Chosen, I'm all too familiar with their reputation. Most of them would sooner die than leav

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Catching up to say that I am still reading and loving it!

7. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 33: The Spirit's Guidance

Kanoda gasped as his head broke the surface of the water. Looking frantically about him, he saw nothing except for churning water, the wreckage of the boat, and clouds of steam rising from where the fireballs had hit. There was no sign of Yue.

The sound of something sizzling echoed through the air, and Kanoda looked up in time to see another fireball flying towards him- apparently Yuan didn't feel like taking any chances this time. Drawing a deep breath, he dove down beneath the surface and away from the fireball before it could strike, though he still felt the heat and waves that shot out from it as it impacted. He was about to surface again for air when he saw a gleam of white hair beneath him. Looking down, he could make out the apparently unconscious form of Yue, slowly sinking into the depths of the strait.

Briefly reflecting on the irony of having to save a waterbender from drowning (could Yue even drown, or would the spirits protect her? Kanoda didn't know and didn't want to find out) he came to the surface again and drew in as much air as his lungs could hold. Diving down deep, he aimed for the place where he had last seen the distinctive white hair. She was sinking slowly beneath him, eyes closed and a deceptively peaceful expression on her face. Catching up to her, Kanoda wrapped an arm around her shoulders and began to swim to the surface, dragging her along with him.

The going was much slower with only one usable arm and another person's wight added to his own, and Kanoda could feel his lungs tightening and his vision beginning to go dark around the edges before he broke the surface again. Gasping out another deep breath, he shook Yue until her eyes weakly opened.

"What?" she whispered, looking around at the wreckage and churning water.

"We got attacked, remember?" Kanoda told her. "One of the fireballs hit the boat and blew it up, and after all the waterbending you'd been doing it was enough to knock you out." He glanced over his shoulder at the distant rocky shore. "At least they're still pretty far off and we're in sight of land."

Yue closed her eyes, and when they opened again there were faint tears running from them, apparently coming because she'd just lost something that had been with her for so many decades. Then she blinked them away and nodded. "Yes. We need to get to land. Swim, now!"

Kanoda found himself thankful that this water was far less cold and debilitating than that which he was used to at the South Pole. The rain of fireballs had ceased, and the High Admiral's warship was now coming in to inspect its kill, but so far it was still far enough out that he doubted anyone noticed the two small figures struggling towards shore.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity of swimming, the two made it to an empty, barren beach. Crawling ashore, Kanoda stood and extended his hand, helping the exhausted Yue to her feet. They turned and looked back out over the waters at where the warship was now pulled up along the spot where their boat had gone down, and they knew that Yuan would soon know that they had not died with it. Turning away, they hurried up the beach and away from the shore.

High Admiral Yuan leaned over the railing of his flagship, staring down at the burnt-out wreckage that had been the last waterbender's boat. At long last, he had accomplished the one thing his oh-so-glorious grandfather had failed to do. "I beat you, old man," he said under his breath, giving a short, triumphant laugh. "I beat you!"

By his side, Shiyan too stared down at the water, a scowl crossing her fierce features. Finally she turned to look directly at Yuan. "Where are the bodies?" she asked quietly. "If the waterbender and the spy both died, then shouldn't there be bodies?"

"They're probably at the bottom of the strait by now, Chosen," Yuan told her. "My men obliterated that boat- there's no possible way the two savages managed to survive."

"No way

8. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 34: The Hunters and the Healer

"Report," the Governor of Long Du Shi commanded the officer who knelt before his high seat.

"My men have searched through what we believe to be the entire rebel fortress, milord," the man said. "It has been completely abandoned- there is no longer any trace of rebel occupation or of their trail. We presume they used their bending to obscure it. After our search proved fruitless, we left the fortress and sealed it using explosives so that the rebels will never be able to return. We now conduct a wider sweep of the surrounding hills, but as of yet have turned up nothing of value. We will, of course, keep you and your advisors appraised of our progress."

"Thank you, commander- you have conducted yourself admirably. Continue your search- I will not have my lands marred by rebellion any longer." Yan Li lowered his head onto his hands. "Go. You are dismissed."

The commander rose and turned towards the door, but his lord's voice stopped him before he departed. "I have one more question for you, commander," the governor said, his voice very soft.

"Yes, milord?"

"Was there any trace of my daughter?" Yan Li struggled to keep concern and grief from his voice, as it wasn't seemly for his subordinates to see such emotion in him. It slipped out anyway.

The commander shook his head sadly. "No, milord. We searched, but there was no sign of the lady Jiazin. If she lives, the rebels have her still. I am sorry."

"Go," the governor commanded, waving his hand dismissively. The officer bowed again and departed, leaving Yan Li alone with his dark thoughts. He wasn't sure how long he sat there alone, part of him insisting that he was the governor and he needed to be doing something, until he was roused by the sound of a commotion outside the audience chamber doors. He sat up stiffly and prepared to call a servant to find out what was going on, when the doors slammed open and a familiar smirking figure stalked inside.

"High Admiral Yuan," Yan Li said without warmth. "I must confess this is a surprise."

The High Admiral gave a tight-lipped smile. "Now really, Governor, is that quite the way you should be talking to the commander of the Fire Navy? I know that you don't interact much with those of true importance all the way out here, but I would really expect a bit more friendliness."

"I answer only to the High Minister and the Empress herself," Yan Li said, hands gripping the arms of his chair tightly. "I do not need to defer to you, and I am well within my rights as Governor to expect warning of your arrival and to know what your purpose here is."

"Very well- I was intending to come to this anyway. I am currently in pursuit of a pair of dangerous fugitives, and recently lost their trail not far from your fine city. I intend to use Long Du Shi as a base to continue my search, and I request that you order your garrison to assist me."

"You may certain operate out of Long Du Shi if that is convenient for you," the Governor told him, "but my garrison is otherwise occupied. I might be able to spare you a handful of scouts who know the area, but you cannot have my soldiers, and you have no authority to overrule me."

"Are you denying me?" Yuan asked, voice suddenly gone very soft.

Yan Li gave him a small smile. "Why yes, I believe I am. As I said, I require my garrison for more important tasks at the moment that stroking your vanity and your authority in my city does not extend past the docks." Part of Yan Li knew that provoking Yuan was not an entirely smart idea- the High Admiral was known to be volatile and to hold grudges. The rest of him, though, was feeling great satisfaction at seeing the look of frustration and anger cross Yuan's face.

Then the High Admiral gave a chilling smile. "Very well. You are, of course, fully in your authority to deny my requests. But there is another with me who would like to have words with you." He stepped aside, and a slender figure in glossy black armor strode into the chamber with a predator's confident, fluid grace. She s

9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Yay for everyone coming together!

Great job!

10. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 35: Plots Within Plots

High General Xia's eyes widened in surprise as Qing Xi entered his office. Not only had the High Minister failed to announce his coming, but Xia couldn't remember him ever willingly entering the wing of the palace set aside as military headquarters. Even now he was looking disdainfully around himself at the weapons and old campaign maps that served as decorations- it was well-known that he preferred the more subtle warfare of politics over that of physical combat. Xia knew that something most unusual was going on here, and even his guards were tensed, gripping the hilts of their swords tightly.

"High Minister," he finally said, trying to sound as pleasant as possible. "To what do we owe the honor of your visit?"

"A matter of grave importance," Qing Xi replied smoothly. "I have been giving it thought over the past few days and I've come to the conclusion that you should know of it." He glanced at the two guards out of the corner of his eyes. "Dismiss your men, and we'll talk."

"My guards are loyal. Anything you have to say to me, you can say to them?"

"Indeed?" the High Minister's voice was politely disbelieving. "Forgive my caution, but I feel that what I have to say should be kept to as few listeners as possible. Besides, what have you to fear? You are a trained warrior and firebender- I am not. Even if I intended you harm, you know that I am not a threat- and besides, in that case I would not have come myself."

Xia nodded. "You have a point, I must admit." He motioned at his guards; both saluted and stepped outside the door. Qing Xi shut it behind them and seated himself before the High General's desk. "Now then, High Minister," Xia said quietly, "what is it that is so sensitive you couldn't risk my most loyal men hearing it?"

Qing Xi was quiet for a moment, studying his fingers intently. Finally he looked up and spoke. "You remember that the last time we talked I asked you if you had any knowledge of your forces making secret supply requisitions?"

"I do," Xia nodded. "I take this to mean you have solved the mystery?"

"Solved is, perhaps, too strong a word. However, my agents have discovered something that I find most disturbing. The missing supplies were taken by members of the Empress's Chosen."

"The Chosen?" Xia asked. "What does this mean?" He had a fairly good idea where the conversation was going now, but he wanted to hear it from Qing Xi's own lips.

"You understand the penalties for impersonating a Chosen, or for one betraying her oaths, are most severe. Therefore, I can see no other conclusion than that the Empress herself is directly behind this matter."

Xia shrugged. "She is the Empress- her will is the law. If she wishes to steal supplies from herself, why is it any concern of ours?"

Qing Xi gritted his teeth, anger flashing in his eyes. "It is our concern because I control the bureaucracy I have kept it running smoothly for years; my loyalty is unquestioned. The army answers to you, and despite our personal differences I must admit that you have performed your duties competently. Supplying the Imperial forces is our responsibility, and we do it well. What motive does the Empress have for sending her fanatics out behind our backs? I can think of only one- there is something afoot that she does not want us to know about." The High Minister paused to allow that to sink in.

Xia nodded slowly. "I begin to see your concern," he said reluctantly. "If the Empress feels she can act in this way without informing us, perhaps she will also begin to feel that she no longer needs us." He didn't need to speak his next thought aloud, because he knew that Qing Xi echoed it- those who the Dragon Empress did not need had a remarkably short life-expectancy.

"I fear the danger may be even greater. You and I both have devoted our lives to maintaining the integrity and order of the Empire. What if Azula keeps her plans secret from her inner circle because she knows we would not approve of them?"

"And since when exactly has the Empress sought our

11. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 36: The Weight of Duty

Shu Bei Fong shook his head as Yue finished her tale. "Had that story come from someone else's lips, I wouldn't have believed it," he said. "You say that you are over a century old, but you look as young as my daughter, and that the Fire Empire holds the moon and ocean spirits captive in order to prevent new waterbenders from being born. But at the same time you are a waterbender when no waterbenders have existed in this land since the Empire first rose, and on the evidence of that alone, I find I must believe you."

"Thank you," Yue said, smiling at him. They sat in the small side-cave that had become Shu's home and base of operations while injured- though now healed, he was still somewhat weak from his ordeal and preferred to sit. The rest of the rebels had been sent back into the main cave while their leader conferred with the new arrival and drew up new plans. The small chamber was now empty except for Shu, Chaiy, Yue, and the young man Kanoda from the Southern Water Tribe who was, from what Shu had gathered, Yue's self-appointed bodyguard.

"So tell me," Shu asked. "Why have you come to us now? What is it that you intend to do?"

He was not prepared for the ageless woman's answer. "The spirits have guided me to you because I need your help- no, let me rephrase that. We can help each other." She took a deep breath. "I believe that the time has finally come to free the Moon and Ocean spirits."

Shu realized he was gaping at her and quickly closed his mouth. Today's situation was quickly developing into something surreal, and he was almost convinced that any moment he might wake up and find that his wound was still there and he'd deliriously imagined the waterbender. "Lady Yue," he finally said, "I would certainly be more than willing to provide assistance, but I need my rebels here with me to fight against the Empire, and even if they were free I wouldn't have the slightest idea where or how to begin such a quest."

"Freeing the spirits would greatly help your cause," Yue told him. "Once the Moon and Ocean have been returned to their rightful place, the cycle of the world will be able to resume. Time will finally catch up to the Fire Empire and its Empress, and I don't think that they will find the experience a pleasant one."

"Well, now," Shu said quietly, feeling a smile creep across his face. "That does sound like something worth happening. But I still wouldn't even know where to start looking for the spirits' prison- unless you have some idea, of course."

Yue closed her eyes and seemed to drift to another place, perhaps her own distant past. "Admiral Zhao took the spirits from the Oasis and bound them in great iron boxes," she said in a soft, dreamy voice. "He presented them to the Fire Lord as prize, and was commanded to lock them away in a place where neither man nor spirit would ever find them. He placed the boxes in an iron citadel built on a storm-tossed island in the far northern seas, guarded day and night by warriors sworn on pain of death to secrecy." Her startlingly blue eyes opened again and fixed Shu with their stare. "That is what the Moon Spirit tells me of the place where she is trapped, but she does not perceive the world as you or I do. She cannot reveal it's location to me in terms I can understand."

Shu sighed. "There are probably hundreds of storm-tossed islands in the far northern seas, and without a map to lead us to it, we could search for years and never find the right one. I wouldn't know where to begin such a search."

"But maybe someone does," Chaiy said. "The Fire Empire has to have records of this place somewhere, if they can keep it staffed with guards. She probably doesn't know where they are, but I bet that girl Jiazin could help point us in the right direction."

"Assuming her willingness to help us extends to undoing something that is keeping the Fire Empire dominant," Shu said. "I'm not certain she'd like this plan at all."

A strange look crossed Yue's face. "Tell me," she said, "who is this person you're talking a

12. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 37: In Motion

High Admiral Yuan was, Shiyan noted as she stepped onto the roof of the palace, almost exactly in the position that Cheng had described. He was relaxing on a couch that most likely had been intended to sit inside of the building rather than on top of it, surrounded by four armored navy firebenders and a group of attendants who were all female, young, and very attractive. Governor Yan Li stood off to one side with a sour look on his face as Yuan took a deep drink from a cup of tea balanced in one of his hands and then began speaking animatedly. Stepping closer, Shiyan could hear his words.

"My grandfather," the High Admiral said, "was a great man, but he made mistakes. He brought the Water Tribe to its knees, but he let its most valuable member- a princess and a waterbender- live purely to stroke his own vanity. She still troubles us to this day. I, however, will correct where he went wrong. I will bring the waterbender to heel at last, and when I kill her, her rebellious barbarian culture dies with her. A man who accomplished that might go down in history as a great hero, don't you think, Governor?" Yuan rose up into a sitting position and glanced over at Yan Li as he spoke.

The governor's eyes darted over to where Shiyan stood watching the display with an icy expression, and then turned back to Yuan. "I believe your Chosen is here to see you, High Admiral," he said coolly.

Yuan turned around to look at Shiyan, and smiled nastily. "I was just telling the honorable governor and his staff here of the glory that awaits us when our pursuit is finished. Care to listen?"

Shiyan darted forward and struck the High Admiral's couch with a well-aimed kick, sending it falling backwards onto the roof. Yuan was sent sprawling, but quickly pulled himself to his feet and marched forward to stare down at Shiyan's face with fury written across his features and flame playing around his clenched fists. "What do you think you're playing at, girl?" He snarled angrily. "Do you want me as an enemy?"

"I think that you're showing conduct unbecoming of an Imperial officer," Shiyan snapped. "You should be focusing on the mission at hand, not laying up here indulging in pleasures and humiliating your enemy." Her gold eyes glittered dangerously. "It's not what the Empress would desire, and here I speak for the Empress."

Yuan stared at her with a furiously incredulous expression on his face. "I have been an officer of the Fire Navy ever since I was in my teens," he said. "I have more than earned my right to conduct my affairs any way I please, and I will not be lectured to by a girl young enough to be my daughter. No one wants to complete our mission more than I do, but as of right now the Governor here has scouts handling the matter, and I took the opportunity to relax while waiting for the information I need to continue."

Burning rage coursed through Shiyan. She drew her sword and brought it up to the High Admiral's neck. "For that insult your life hangs on a thread," she hissed. "You know I'm in my right as a Chosen to kill you."

"Do it," Yuan whispered. "Do it and my firebenders there will burn you to ash before my body hits the ground. Don't think they won't- they're navy men, like me, and if it comes down to a conflict they'll side with their commander. It'd be easy enough to make your death look like an accident to the Empress. You're good, but you can't take them all."

For an instant that felt like an eternity they stood there, Shiyan's sword at Yuan's throat and the gaze of his men on her. Finally, another voice broke the spell. "Enough!" Governor Yan Li said, stepping forward and raising his voice. Whatever was haunting him inside was well buried now- here was a man who spoke with the expectation that he would be obeyed. "This is my house in my province, and so I do have a say in what happens here, regardless of your authority, and I say that there will be no bloodshed here. You both have conducted yourselves disgracefully, and if it continues I will report you both to the Empress

13. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 38: In the Governor's Palace

It was dark in the tunnel as they quickly left what moonlight could stream in through the opening behind. Jiazin took the lead, both because she was now the only one with any familiarity with their surroundings and because of the small flame she held cupped in one hand to light the darkness ahead. The tunnel itself was long and straight, sloping steadily downward with no branches or major obstructions to be seen. Its walls and floor were also eerily smooth, and Jiazin found herself wondering how it had come to be here in the first place- the final escape route, perhaps, of some powerful earthbender during the fall of Ba Sing Se? She couldn't know for sure.

In the oppressive darkness, none of the four felt like talking- they just continued following the tunnel down beneath the walls and buildings of Long Du Shi, unable to accurately tell the passage of time. Jiazin was beginning to think that they had made a wrong turn somewhere and were going to keep on walking down into the depths of the earth- though a voice in the back of her mind told her that wasn't possible, as they hadn't passed any other tunnels to get lost in- until finally a strange, greenish light began to shine up ahead. Behind Jiazin the others stopped and began to shift nervously.

"What's that light?" Chaiy asked softly. "It doesn't look like fire. Are there guards ahead?"

Jiazin turned and smiled, though she doubted the other girl could see it since she was now facing away from her small fire. "It's not the guards- not yet. It's something natural, and it means we're on the right track. In a few moments, you'll be able to see what it is."

Chaiy seemed unconvinced, but both Kanoda's and Tong's silhouettes could be seen nodding. Jiazin turned back forward and walked towards the pale light, the others following behind her. When the tunnel abruptly opened into a far larger cavern from which the glow came, all four stopped in their tracks to take it in.

The underground chamber was so vast that it was difficult for the mind to take it all in with just one glance, and it was obviously not natural. Carved columns and the remnants of other structures could be seen built into the walls or carved from the floor, which was itself lined with evenly spaced pools that were perfectly rectangular in a way only man-made structures could be. The source of the green glow was the outcroppings of crystal that seemed to grow from every available surface- pale individually, but together enough to illuminate the entire room clearly in soft green light.

"Growing up in the South Pole, I never imagined anything like this," Kanoda finally said.

Chaiy turned towards Jiazin, a dark expression on her face. "What is this place? The Fire Empire didn't build it- the architecture's not the same style. This is someone else's work- earthbenders'."

"Nobody knows for sure- at least nobody I ever talked to," Jiazin admitted. "But you're probably right- it seems like there was another city on this spot before the Ba Sing Se the Empire conquered, and either some of it sank beneath the ground or was there to begin with. Now, we need to keep moving- and keep quiet. I know the way from here, but we're getting close to being under the palace, and pretty soon we'll start running into guards. Not many- not a lot of people know about the tunnels- but they'll be there."

The other three followed Jiazin as she made her way across the cavern floor, Tong pausing occasionally to reach out and run his hands over one of the crystals. Jiazin found herself wondering what kind of meaning this ancient place would have for an earthbender as powerfully gifted as she'd heard the rebels say the boy was supposed to be. Soon they passed out of the cavern and into another one, which was similar but smaller, andfrom there to the base of a rough tunnel leading up. A strange expression crossed Tong's face as a he reached the entrance of it and he knelt, pressing one hand to the floor.

"I'm feeling something up there- vibrations in the rock," he said. "

14. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    AN: Sorry it's been so long; I've been on vacation and then moving back to college. I should be resuming regular updates now. Thanks for your patience!

Chapter 39: The Penalty for Treason

The chunk of rock slammed into Shiyan's body with enough force to send her reeling back into one of the glass windows that lined the corridor. She barely had time for the realization that the earthbend had gotten the drop on her before the glass shattered behind her, and then she tumbled out the window.

Shiyan spun madly in midair, attempting to see if there was anything nearby for her to grab onto, and if so to orient herself towards it. Before she had the chance, she slammed into a sloping roof and began to slide down it. The rock that had started this whole mess, on the other hand, crashed clear through it, presumably landing somewhere within the palace. Hissing in pain and anger, Shiyan attempted to slow her descent by embedding her sword in the roof, but all she managed to accomplish was to tear tiles free and send them flying. Finally she pitched into the air and seemed to hang suspended for what felt like an eternity before falling to the palace lawn in a painful heap. Two startled servants stood nearby; she glared at them and both hurried fearfully away.

She attempted to pull herself to her feet, but the pain that shot through her body told her in no uncertain terms that this was out of the question. Shiyan didn't think anything was broken, but her whole body had just taken a pounding and was filled with a dull ache. The Chosen cursed herself for a fool for allowing herself to be so distracted by the traitor Jiazin's mockery of the Empress- how had she produced the blue fire?- that she had forgotten the girl's companions. It was a mistake that no Chosen should make. Shiyan's earlier defeat by the waterbender had occurred because she hadn't known the full extent of the woman's abilities, but this defeat was only because of her own foolishness. That stung worse than the pain of the fall.

Still, she'd confirmed one thing for certain tonight- the Governor's daughter was indeed a traitor. Her actions- invading the palace and attacking a Chosen, to say nothing of her mockery of the Empress- put that beyond doubt. Armed with this knowledge, there were certain duties which Shiyan knew she now had to perform, and she almost felt a pang of regret for Governor Yan Li, who had seemed the picture of the loyal Imperial noble. She quickly banished the feeling- the Empress's law had to be fulfilled, regardless of personal preferences or desires. That was the core of Shiyan's existence, and her failure to capture the traitor, the spy, and their companions only solidified her need to hold to it.

As soon as she was able to stand?

"Did you find what you were after?" Shu Bei Fong asked as Jiazin entered his side-cave. Yue sat across from him- apparently the two had been engaging in conversation before her arrival- and she also looked up at the young noblewoman with a questioning expression.

"I did," Jiazin said, sitting herself down across from them and pulling the scrolls from her pack. "In my father's office, I found information he's gathered on all the major nobles, just like I told you. Among his information on Yuan, there was information regarding a fortress on a far northern island that the High Admiral seemed unusually determined to keep secret."

Shu looked thoughtful. "If Yuan was so determined to keep its location secret, how did your father manage to uncover it?"

"He noticed that Yuan was requisitioning more supplies than his forces needed and then shipping them away to a destination that no one recorded," Jiazin explained. "So he kept track of which ships were following schedules with enough room to fit unnoticed stops on them and slipped some of his own spies aboard, disguised as sailors." She unfurled one particular scroll. "Here's the report from one who got lucky.

" 'The fortress is built upon a small isle of

15. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 40: Madness and Brilliance

Admiral Chan's family had been in the service of the Fire Empire's navy going back several generations, a fact that the Admiral himself drew great pride from. True, the house of Chan might not have attained the same level of glory as that of the house of Zhao (which High Admiral Yuan never missed an opportunity to remind him), but it had produced three admirals in the past century alone, in addition to numerous other decorated officers. Chan himself had certainly never given the Empress or her minions reason to complain about his service.

His current command was a fleet base on the shore of the former Earth Kingdom facing the old Fire Nation heartland. There were certainly more prestigious positions, but Chan's was nonetheless an important one, since many ships traveling between the two continents or even just around the Earth Kingdom landmass had to stop there for re-supply and repair. Still fairly young for his rank, Chan saw his command as a stepping stone for greater things- perhaps even a shot at the High Admiralty, once that preening egotist Yuan made his inevitable fatal mistake. The Empress might be inordinately fond of the house of Zhao, but she had no tolerance whatsoever for failure.

It was early evening and Chan sat in his office, watching the activity below him from the window that overlooked the entire base while he sipped from a small cup of tea. The sound of his door opening behind him caught his ear, and he turned to see one of his junior officers standing there, a strange and unreadable expression on his face.

"Well," Chan said, "don't just stand there, man. I assume you have good reason for disturbing me?"

The officer help up one hand, and the admiral saw that he was holding a scroll. "This arrived for you just now, sir- brought in by a ship that sailed into the harbor, and then left. She told me I was to give it only to you."

"She?"

"The Chosen, sir." The young officer bowed, seeming overwhelmed. A Chosen, Chan thought darkly. Well, that would explain his subordinate's expression- those in the direct military service had little love for the Empress's elite, but they did have a healthy respect and fear of them. And if a Chosen had been reduced to playing messenger girl, then that meant the Empress herself had a message of incredible import for Admiral Chan.

"Give me the message," he ordered. The young officer hurried forward and placed it in his hand, and then departed as Chan dismissed him with a wave of one hand. The admiral unfurled the scroll, read it once through intently, and then read it again to make sure he'd understood it properly.

The Empress feared for her own life, and felt that in the event of her death it would be Admiral Chan who would be the best choice in all the Empire to hold the throne in trust for her chosen successor. He could feel his heart swelling with pride- this was a promotion far beyond anything he had imagined, and it was distinctly possible that soon his star would be added to the glories of the house of Chan. Of course, as the letter had said, there would be many who would dispute his right to such a high position- Yuan for one, along with some of Chan's own less pleasant colleagues. Of course, when he was Imperial Regent he'd have the power of the full throne behind him, and then several of his rivals would likely be meeting with unfortunate accidents?

Chan's cup of tea ran empty, and he rang for a servant to bring him another. He didn't recognize the robed man who entered, but that wasn't unusual- Chan had numerous servants on staff, and never paid much attention to their individual features anyway. Taking the new cup from the man, he waved him away and drank deep, imagining precisely what thunderstruck expression Yuan would have when he heard this news.

Suddenly everything became strangely fuzzy and blurry around the Admiral, and he felt exhaustion creeping over him. He gave a great yawn, and only part of his mind was able to say that this wasn't right before he collapsed into his seat and fel

16. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 41: Setting Sail

Jiazin stood amidst the bustle of Long Du Shi's docks, trying to be inconspicuous. She was dressed in plain peasant clothes, her hair pulled back into a simple tail rather than a topknot, and the cloak that she wore concealed her sword hanging at her hip, but she still felt as though she stood out amongst the crowd and sooner or later someone would point at her and call her out for being an impostor. Nobility were trained to be noticeable and commanding; blending in required something rather different.

"Relax," a voice said from beside her, and she turned to see Kanoda, similarly dressed as a peasant- he was a bit darker than the average Imperial subject, but not so much that it would immediately draw attention without his distinctive Water Tribe clothing. "You're fidgeting too much. You need to calm down, and act like you feel like you belong."

Jiazin raised an eyebrow at him. "Fairly sophisticated advice, coming from someone who's never been in a city before in his life."

Kanoda shrugged. "Hunting, you learn a lot about stealth. Stay still, act like part of the environment, and nothing- or no one- will even realize you're there."

She supposed that did make a certain amount of sense. Kanoda had come along on the mission to steal a small ship to steal in order to reach High Admiral Yuan's island fortress because Yue had, and the Water Tribe boy seemed to consider himself tied to her in some important way. Jiazin herself was going because the presence of a firebender would make managing even a small engine much easier- and also, she admitted to herself, because the idea of sneaking under Yuan's nose and stealing his most prized treasure away from him appealed to her. The High Admiral had made his disdain for her father and her family plain many times, Jiazin knew, and a certain part of her was more than willing to take pleasure in his downfall. Along with them, Shu and Chaiy had sent three of their rebel warriors- two of them, Feng and Chin, had stolen and sailed small vessels before, while the third, Hu, had been a slave on an Admiral's flagship after it had been discovered he could cook quite well. Feng and Hu were both earthbenders.

According to Shu's spies, there was a small scouting vessel berthed near the far end of the docks, designed for speed and needing only a handful to crew. The raiding party had slipped into the port area early this morning in pairs, and would wait for night to fall and the crowd to thin before attempting to seize the vessel. Glancing across the crowd, Jiazin could make out Yue's cloaked form near a merchant stall, apparently haggling over a bit of food, Feng hovering behind her. There was no sign of Chin and Hu, but then, Jiazin had only met them briefly and didn't feel confident picking them out of a crowd.

She felt Kanoda's hand tugging on her sleeve, and turned back to face him. "What's going on over there?" he said, pointing towards the edge of the docks district and towards the main city walls. "It doesn't look good."

Jiazin found herself agreeing with that assessment. A group of soldiers were moving with purpose through the crowd, stopping every so often to affix a sheet of paper that seemed to have writing on it to an available surface before moving on. Sudden fear gripped the young noblewoman, and her mind leapt to the image of wanted posters with her face on them. The Chosen must have survived her fall, or perhaps Anjing had betrayed her, unthinkable as that seemed. Either way, her hand went to the hilt of her sword, and she silently vowed she wouldn't be taken without a fight. After a few moments, however, the soldiers posted one of the sheets close enough that she could make it out, and there didn't seem to be any image on it at all- only writing.

"They're putting up proclamations," Jiazin said softly to Kanoda. "My father must want something done badly enough he's bringing the whole city in on it. We need to get a better look at one of those."

Kanoda shrugged, as if to say that this was Jiazin's city and therefore her

17. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 42: A Report to the High Admiral

The Long Du Shi garrison, assisted by the High Admiral's marines, continued their search for the rebels and the fugitives they harbored, but as of yet had not encountered success. Shiyan had wanted to join them in their hunt, but the fact that her body was still aching horribly from her fall had convinced her that at least for now she shouldn't overexert herself. After all, even the Empress's writings noted the difference between courage and risking yourself when you weren't able to fight at full strength. Currently she was standing on the roof of the palace, pacing back and forth as she looked down at the city beneath her, occasionally glancing to what little she could make out of what lay beyond.

At the sound of footsteps behind her, Shiyan turned to see a red-robed servant approaching. She waited silently for him to approach and go down on one knee. "What is it?" she asked.

"Chosen Shiyan," the servant said, "Governor Yuan requests your presence in the audience hall at once. He says that his scouts have important information and that you should be there when it is presented."

More likely Yuan didn't want to run the risk of Shiyan getting angry if this information turned out to be important and she wasn't there to hear it firsthand. Still, she nodded. "Very well. I shall join Yuan presently." Sweeping past the servant, she descended from the roof and into the main body of the palace, following the winding corridors until she finally arrived at the audience hall.

Yuan was seated in the governor's chair, looking incredibly pleased with himself, as he had for the last several days. Looking at him more closely, however, Shiyan could see that his fingers were twitching and his eyes continually darting to the main door. Despite his appearance of confidence, the High Admiral was clearly worried about something- probably this same news he'd called her down to hear. His officers and the ministers of Yan Li's court stood beside the chair, the latter group still looking rather displeased with the new arrangement. Yuan had little love for paperwork, and less for the bureaucracy.

"Ah, Chosen Shiyan," the High Admiral said when he noticed her, smiling broadly and falsely. "So glad you could join us. Now then, my scouts say they have news that can't wait, so let's bring them in, shall we?" Shiyan nodded stiffly. She and Yuan might have to put on a show of solidarity in front of the court, since they'd deposed Yan Li on their combined authority, but that hardly meant they had to like each other.

Yuan motioned to his guards, and they left the audience hall and returned with two scouts and a handful of men in rather ragged-looking sailors' uniforms. Yuan snorted. "This is what was so pressing?" he asked. "A handful of deserters? Throw them in the dungeons and forget about them. I was expecting news of the waterbender or the rebels at least!"

"Your pardon, my lord," the head scout said, "but these men aren't deserters, and I think you should listen to what they have to say."

"I'm listening," Yuan said.

"My lord," one of the ragged-looking men said, "my companions and I are- were- the crew of a scout ship moored in this harbor-"

"The ship that went missing a few days ago?" The High Admiral asked angrily. "You should hope for your sakes you have a good excuse for that. I'm not a man who forgives lightly."

"I know, my lord," the officer said, "but our ship didn't leave of our own free will. It was seized by rebels pretending to be Navy officers. And one of them?" the man paused to draw a deep breath, "one of them was a white-haired waterbender."

"No!" Yuan shouted, leaping to his feet. "She can't escape from me that easily! Where was she going? How did you escape? Tell me!"

The officer seemed rather taken aback by this display, but he swallowed and nodded. "They dropped us off on the coastline a few days north of here. That's where they're going- north. I don't know more than that, I swear by Agni!"

"North," Yuan breathed, and suddenly fear blossome

18. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 43: Fighting Spirit

Several days after Yue, Kanoda, and Jiazin left, the rebels were called together into the central cave for reasons Tong didn't know. It was tightly packed, and for a moment he found himself missing the larger chambers of the Lake Laogai base- and then mentally chided himself, reminding himself that crowded as it was, these were still better conditions than he had known for years, or most of his people still had to endure.

Conversation died down as Shu and Chaiy moved to the front of the cavern. "Our scouts have recently reported to me," the rebel leader began, "that High Admiral Yuan, now acting governor of Long Du Shi, has made a serious tactical error. In pursuit of an unknown target or targets, he has pulled his entire fleet from the harbor and many land soldiers from the city itself and is leading them personally north at full speed." He looked around at them all, seeming to make eye contact with almost every other rebel in the room. "I don't know why he's doing this or what he hopes to accomplish, but I do know that this is a major opportunity for us." Shu drew a deep breath before continuing. "I believe that, with the proper timing and coordination, we can capture Long Du Shi before the High Admiral returns."

The cavern erupted into noise as everyone began talking at once, until Chaiy stepped forward and slammed one foot into the ground. The earth rumbled briefly and then stilled, and the rebels fell quiet. "I know it sounds unbelievable," Shu told them, "but I think that it can be done, and I'm certain we won't have a better chance. Several nights ago, a small group conducted a raid into the governor's palace using a series of secret tunnels that run beneath the city. The guards appear to be aware of the tunnels, but they are uncertain as to which one we used, and can't block them all off without the assistance of earthbender slaves- slaves they know better than to allow access to such a secret. As a result, they have merely increased their watch on the tunnels tremendously- but they are still firebenders in caves. They won't be a match for earthbenders surrounded by their element, particularly if they take them by surprise.

"Our goal is simple- to seize control of the palace. It is more than just the governor's home; it's the whole center of his government. If we can capture it, and take the officials within alive, we'll have crippled the city's ability to administer itself, and we'll have leverage to convince the soldiers to surrender. With numbers reduced as they are, and not expecting an attack on the palace itself, they won't be able to stop us."

An older rebel near the front stepped forward to face Shu. "I'm not sure about this," he said. "Even if we take the palace, we don't have the numbers to hold it, much less pacify the entire city. And if we fail, this could very well be our end."

Shu looked at him straight on. "I know, Rao. But sooner or later, we need to strike back, take risks, or else we'll end up as dead as generations of rebels before us. Besides, as I said before, we're not going to get a better opportunity- all we've fought for is in our reach now, and spirits take me if I let that slip away. But I don't think that the vast majority of the population will trouble us- they're Earth Kingdom stock, and for years have lived in fear of their Imperial overlords, especially that they'll steal any children who show bending power and put them to work as slaves. And as for numbers?" He turned and glanced at his daughter.

Chaiy stepped forward. "My father and I have discussed this, and we think it's time. Freedom for Long Du Shi means freedom for all its people." She glanced out over the gathered rebels, and it felt to Tong as though she was looking directly at him. "It's time for us to free the slaves."

# # # # # # # # # # # #

Tong suppressed a shudder as he followed closely behind Chaiy and the small group of rebels she'd brought with her to approach the slave compounds. She'd brought him along both for his bending power and his connection

19. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 44: The Iron Citadel

The wind whipped Kanoda's cloak as he stood at the prow of the small boat, staring north into the storm-tossed night. It was noticeably cold even for him now- not as bitterly cold as nights at the South Pole sometimes got, but still uncomfortable. He pulled the cloak tighter around himself as he looked towards the horizon, and then in the distance he caught sight of a red beacon fire.

"There it is," a voice said from behind him, and he turned to see Yue walking up to the prow beside him. Her gaze was fixed on the point of light with an expression of intense longing on her face, and it took Kanoda a moment to realize she wasn't dressed any more heavily than normal. Somehow, the cold didn't seem to be bothering her.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "It could just be another ship."

She shook her head. "No. That is the place- believe me, I know." There was something in her tone the brooked no argument.

"I believe you," Kanoda said quietly. "Let me go tell the others." Leaving her watching the distant beacon, he hurried across the ship's deck and down into its belly, where he found Jiazin sitting beside the engine, holding out her hands in front of it as though sucking up its heat. Of course, he thought, maybe that's exactly what she was doing- he didn't know a whole lot about firebenders.

She looked up as she heard his footsteps. "What is it?" she asked.

"We're there," Kanoda told her. "Well, almost. Yue and I just caught sight of the fortress's beacon fire. We should be there before the night is over. Are you ready for your part?" Knowing that with the numbers they had, straightforwardly storming the fortress would be impossible, the raiding party had come up with a deception that would at the very least get them onto the island, and hopefully to wherever the spirit fish were being kept. One of the most important parts of said deception was falling to Jiazin, the only one of their group with any realistic chance of pulling it off.

"I'm ready," she told him, her voice steady and confident; this was somewhat undermined when she added a quiet "I think," under her breath.

"You'll do fine," Kanoda reassured her. "Now, I'd better go tell Hu; up in the pilot's cabin he's probably already seen, but we'd better not take chances. We can't risk screwing this up; obviously, we're not going to get another chance."

"I know," Jiazin said softly as he turned and left.

# # # # # # # # # # # #

The scout ship pulled into the harbor beneath the citadel, flying the flag of the Fire Navy. Kanoda, dressed in one of the spare uniforms they'd found aboard, stared up at it in wonder and horror. The island was little more than a jagged hunk of rock that thrust up from the sea like a talon clawing at the sky, and the only feature on it was High Admiral Yuan's iron fortress. The basic compound was a rectangular steel wall, and in the midst of that thrust upward a single, featureless metal tower that came to a sharp point high above the harbor; the beacon-light glowed from one of the top windows. The whole place looked distressingly impenetrable.

"We can do this," Jiazin said from beside him, already dressed in her own disguise. He turned to look at her and smiled, and she returned it from the shadows of the hood she wore. Then they turned to face the dock as the ship's ramp lowered and a small group of guards came aboard, led by an officer.

"It's not common for us to receive visitors," he said curtly to Hu. "Tell me, captain, what brings you and your crew to us at this time of year."

Jiazin pushed forward, chin held high and bearing coldly regal. "It is not the place of a common soldier to question the Dragon Empress's will," she said, and let her hood fall slightly back; the officer's eyes widened as he took in a face that had been painted gold. It wasn't nearly as intricate as a true Chosen's make-up, being a quick job applied from paints they'd stopped to pick up in a small port on the edge of the former Earth Kingdom continent, but between the poor lighting and the fact that

20. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 45: Triumph and Tragedy

Neither Shu nor Chaiy made any stirring speeches to the rebels before they made their attack on the palace; it would have only eaten up time, and it wasn't necessary. Everyone here knew what was at stake, from the newly recruited slaves to battle-scarred veterans- freedom for themselves or their people. This was the best chance they would likely ever have to seize the city, and they intended to take full advantage of it.

The small rebel army gathered near the entrance to the tunnel system that Tong, Kanoda, Chaiy, and Jiazin had used; scouts reported that the larger chambers further in were crawling with Imperial soldiers, but that there were few benders among them, and they didn't seem to be expecting an attack. Most of the elites who hadn't been dragged off with Yuan on whatever mad chase he was on were out scouring the countryside for the escaped slaves; small groups of rebel scouts were deliberately leading them in circles, keeping them away from the city itself until the battle was done.

Chaiy breathed deeply, steeling herself as she stared down into the tunnel's depths. She'd been down here once before, but now she had the entire rebellion at her back; because he wasn't much of a fighter, her father was staying behind and under guard until the palace was taken, so she was to lead most of the actual fighting. This was her night, and its success or failure was riding on her, larger than anything she'd led before. She could feel the weight of it on her.

"Are you ready?" an older earthbender asked her quietly from behind.

She breathed deeply, ran a hand over her bow, and nodded. "Yes. Let's go." She darted down into the tunnel, her warriors following in a thin column behind her. They moved silently through the earth (or at least as silently as a group as large as theirs could), until finally they came to the entrance from the tunnel into the first of the larger caverns. Just before they reached it, Chaiy held up a hand for the rest to halt, and then slipped forward on her own into the crystal-lit chambers.

The Fire Empire soldiers milled about in the center of the room; most weren't even trying to maintain a pretense of military discipline, but near the entrances on both ends the guards were alert and wore the distinctive masks of firebenders; Chaiy had to dart behind a rock to miss being seen by one particularly observant sentry. She had no doubt that the moment they saw danger they'd rouse the others to action, and then the rebels would have a major fight on their hands.

It was Chaiy's job to make sure that danger came from an unexpected direction, and she had refused to allow anyone else to take that risk. After all, she was the best shot in the rebellion.

Creeping along behind concealing rocks and crystals, the last daughter of the Bei Fong family hissed angrily to see the Fire Nation scum having so casually planted themselves among the ancient ruins of her people; logically, she knew they weren't all bad, but they represented the invading, oppressive presence and she hated them for it. Still, she carefully scanned the subterranean encampment, until at last she saw what she sought; a middle-aged man who sat by a table on the side of the cave closer to the entrance to the palace, clad in ornate armor and talking animatedly with the ordinary soldiers who stood nearby, all of whom were deferential to him. That would be the leader, the nerve center of this entire company- Chaiy knew that the Fire Empire prided itself on discipline and hierarchy, but while that was often a strength, if the top of that hierarchy was suddenly torn off, it could turn into an exploitable weakness as well.

Finding an appropriate crystal outcropping, Chaiy began to climb to the top, taking care not to allow any of the guards to see her; she didn't dare draw attention to herself by earthbending her way to the top. Finally she reached a height that gave her a good angle; holding herself in place by wrapping her legs around the crystal, she drew her bow, strung it, and drew an arr

21. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 46: The Ruins of the North

Yue was sixteen years old on the day that her life was changed forever.

It began with the falling of the black snow, which owed its unusual color to having been mixed with the cinders spat out by the Fire Nation's monstrous warships. The Northern Water Tribe had heard reports of the vast fleet gathering immediately to their south, and knew that the great comet (they refused to call it Sozin's Comet) was destined to soon return, but it was the black snow that showed without room for doubt that doom was indeed close at hand. The Northern Tribe prepared for battle as best they could, but they knew that it was only a stalling measure. Hahn boasted of killing the Fire Admiral himself, but that was because he was Hahn- Yue could hear the fear and uncertainty that underlay her betrothed's brash self-confidence.

The battle was disastrous. Despite the strength of its warriors and benders, the Tribe was no match for the unbelievable power that the comet granted to the firebenders. Yue watched from the palace as a wave of fiery death engulfed her beautiful city, and behind that wave came the massed legions of the Fire Nation to kill any survivors and claim the spoils of victory.

Hahn and the elite warriors were drawn up to defend the palace, and Yue saw her father himself take down an old ceremonial spear, even though he was past his fighting prime. He ordered her to flee the city along with a group of master waterbenders, including the great Pakku himself, to preserve their peoples' identity and culture, and, though Father didn't say it out loud, so Pakku could use his skill to keep Yue safe. They fled the great hall just as the firebenders blasted through the door, and the last she saw of her father or the betrothed who she had never loved, but was one of her own people in spite of that, they drew themselves up bravely to face the inferno.

The waterbenders and the princess did not make it far; they were cornered just outside the palace by a squad of firebenders. The waterbenders were good, but even Pakku himself wasn't good enough to defeat a squad of the Fire Nation's elite while the comet blazed overhead. He lasted longest by far, but in the end he still died, and Yue wished she was a fighter, or a bender, or something so she could have made a difference. The firebenders saw her fine robes and ornaments, so they decided to take her alive to their commander. She felt their cruel hands grab her, and then they were dragging her off to the great iron ship where she met the arrogant man called Zhao, who laughed as her whole life burned?

# # # # # # # # # # # #

Yue awoke with a start and lay still for a moment, breathing heavily as she reminded herself that those horrors lay almost a century in the past. It helped, but not much- she still remembered it as though it was yesterday, and the fact that for the first time since that day she was returning to her homeland didn't help matters at all.

Turning over, she faced the metal box that held the Moon Spirit- she could tell which fish was which without having to look at them. She'd moved her bedding down to the ship's hold so she could stay close to the spirits, and placed her hand against the cool metal to draw some measure of the timeless strength of the being that was trapped inside.

Finally she sighed, somewhat relaxed though not as much as she wished to be, and curled back up on her blankets and went back to sleep. Perhaps by some grace the spirits still had the power to bestow, this time she didn't dream.

# # # # # # # # # # # #

"I'm worried about Yue."

Jiazin turned to regard Kanoda oddly. "Any particular reason?" she asked. "I haven't seen enough of her since we rescued the spirits to tell, and I didn't know her nearly as well as you did before that."

Kanoda gave a small laugh. "I'm not sure how well I know her either- can you really know someone who's lived over a hundred years after just a month?- but not seeing her is the problem. She's just been locking herself away with those spirits and not

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I did a marathon read the other night (I haven't forgotten about this story!!) and read the first 18 chapters. AMAZING!! I'm dying to read the rest :D

23. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 47: What Was Meant to Be

The cold wind came roaring down from places even further north, perhaps from the very roof of the world itself, as Kanoda and his companions made their way through the ruins of the Northern Water Tribe's city. He tried not to look around, much, but sometimes he couldn't help it, and when he did, he saw the jagged bones of buildings thrusting up from the snow, and occasionally bones of a more human nature as well, left by their enemies where they'd fallen. He was forced to look away, then, and concentrate on his goal. This was a dead place now, Kanoda thought, a cursed place, no matter what it had once been. The site of one of the Fire Empire's greatest atrocities, the memory of fiery death still stained the frozen earth a century on.

Every so often, he heard behind them a crash or explosion, and knew that battle had been joined between Yue and the armada. Powerful as she was, she didn't really stand a chance of defeating them, and there were times when Kanoda almost turned back to help her. Then he shook himself, reminding himself of her words. If he went back, all he would accomplish would be to die with her; if he kept on his present course, he might actually do something important that would help the world. It was small comfort, but it was all he had.

Jiazin led the way, a naked flame held in the palm of one hand, which both lit the winter night and let her melt her way through the snow where drifts had piled up that were too thick to easily walk through. Immediately behind her were the Earth Kingdom rebels, Chin and Feng carrying the spirit fish in their cages, with Hu in between them. Kanoda himself took up the rear.

He didn't know how long it took for them to pass through the dark and broken city; like an uneasy dream, it all seemed to blur together in his mind. He lost track of the ruined buildings they passed between and the icy bridges they crossed, until finally, behind what seemed like a gutted-out palace of ice, they came to a low wall through which a tunnel seemed to have been blasted. A frozen door lay in the snow to one side, looking as though it had been violently torn from its hinges, but the tunnel itself was filled with drifts.

Jiazin stepped forward and raised both hands, breathing deeply and screwing her face up in intense concentration before unleashing a torrent of the strange, blue fire that Kanoda had seen her use once before in the palace at Long Du Shi. In the face of that blast the snow melted away, and then Jiazin fell backwards; Kanoda and Hu rushed forward and caught her each on one side.

"I'll be all right," she said quietly. "The blue flames are powerful, but making them? it takes a lot out of me, especially when I'm already cold and tired." She shook her head. "The tunnel should be clear now."

It was. Kanoda knelt and slipped through, followed by the rebels and the firebender. On the other side of the ice wall was the last sight he had expected to see in this place- a grassy field, surrounding a pool of clear water at its heart. The air hear was notably warmer, though as Kanoda stepped forward he saw it hadn't entirely been untouched by war- a burned arch lay collapsed on the pool's other side. The pool itself seemed empty and forlorn, somehow, and then Kanoda knew what he was looking it.

Here was the place where the Moon and Ocean spirits had crossed over to the mortal world when time began, and here they had danced their eternal dance for countless ages, until the oasis became a place as much of the Spirit World as it was of this one. Here had been the spirits' home, and when they had been torn from it, the cycle of the world had been disrupted. Waterbending had vanished like airbending before it, the Avatar had disappeared, and the Fire Empire had ascended to power.

"So this is where it happened," Jiazin breathed, coming up beside him. "The beginning and the end."

Kanoda turned to look at her. "Are you sure you're willing to go through with this?" he asked her. "If we return the spirits to their place, it will fix t

24. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 48: Repercussions

High General Xia didn't know why he'd been summoned to appear before the Dragon Empress, but he knew in his gut with the instincts of an old campaigner that something was terribly wrong. It had only been a few days since a messenger had arrived in the Capital and been taken directly to Azula, but ever since a waiting stillness had fallen over the entire palace. High Minister Qing Xi's suspicions regarding Azula herself didn't help matters any; Xia neither liked nor trusted the High Minister, but what he had uncovered so far had the uncomfortable ring of truth to it.

Then, of course, there was the giant hole that had been blasted through one of the palace's wings by some unknown force. No one knew for sure what had caused it, but Xia had heard rumors, and none of them boded well.

By some virtue of chance or fate, the throne room itself had not been damaged when whatever-it-was had torn through the palace. It was empty and dark as Xia entered and prostrated himself before the throne- he could still remember a time when, as a young officer, he'd seen the court full of nobles and ministers and, for a lack of a better word, life. For the last decade or so, though, it had become a far more remote and terrible place, as the Empress had taken to meeting with only one or two people at a time and secluding herself when not doing so. A sign of her paranoia, Xia thought, and quickly quelled it- Azula couldn't read minds (so far as he knew) but he didn't dare let any of what he'd just thought show on his face.

Suddenly the blue flames about the throne roared to life, and after a moment the coldly ringing voice of the Empress spoke through them. "Rise, my High General," she said. "We have important matters to discuss."

Xia stood and saluted. "The Army of the Fire Empire stands at your command, Majesty. What is you will?"

"Long Du Shi has fallen."

The Empress made the pronouncement without preamble, and her tone didn't vary as she spook, but Xia could almost feel the searing anger within her voice. He himself was too stunned almost for words; quickly he managed to recover himself. "How?" he asked. "Who could do such a thing?"

"A band of bold rebels managed to infiltrate the palace itself and seize control of it," Azula explained. "They lured the garrison out of the city and captured several key ministers, holding them hostage to ensure the compliance of the rest. Reports indicate, however, that Governor Yan Li aids the rebellion willingly."

"Impossible," Xia breathed. He didn't know Yan Li well, but the impression he'd always had of the man was one of loyalty and efficiency. A traitor? it was unthinkable. Then the High General realized what he'd just done and shuddered. He'd contradicted the Empress?

"Do you question my word, High General?" Azula demanded; she didn't raise her voice, yet somehow gave the impression of shouting. The flames about her throne flared up so high they hid even her silhouette from view, and Xia was forced to fall back and shield himself from the flames. "Men have died for less. Consider yourself fortunate, however, that I need you still, and I do not have time to promote a replacement. You must go to Long Du Shi with your forces and crush this insurgency completely. The world must see the strength of the Fire Empire and know that it will be wielded without mercy. Do you understand?"

"I do, Majesty!" Xia replied; the heat in the room was so overpowering now he could feel the sweat running down his body and soaking his uniform.

"Good. You will depart as soon as your forces are assembled, and that will take no longer than one week. Now, leave me!" Xia was not by any stretch a coward- he had fought many battles for the Empire on the front lines before his promotion to general- but it was still all he could do to maintain a dignified walk as he bowed once more to the Empress and departed from the throne room. She was an overpowering enough presence normally, but when she was angry- that was something anyone would balk at facing.

A man was waiti

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Catching up and I am blown away!

Man, you really know how to write epic battles. I was so drawn in and excited reading them all.

Aang!!! I had hoped Yue would pass on her bending to Kanoda, but if him seeing Aang means what I think it does... :D

Great job!! Can't wait for more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.