main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Avatar: Last Airbender] The Children of War (Prequel, Fire Royal Family-centric) Updated 6/6

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by MasterGhandalf, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009
    Title: The Children of War
    Author: MasterGhandalf
    Timeframe: 25 years pre-series through Ozai's coronation
    Characters: Ursa, Iroh, Ozai, Azulon, Long Feng, (eventually) Lu Ten, Azula, and Zuko, OCs
    Genre: Prequel/tragedy
    Summary: The Fire Nation has been waging a war of conquest for almost 75 years, currently under the leadership of the aging but powerful Fire Lord Azulon. The Fire Lord's older son, Iroh, has just been promoted to general and prepares to strike deep into the heart of the Earth Kingdom. At the same time, Azulon has arranged a marriage for his unfavored younger son Ozai with a young noblewoman named Ursa, who has secrets of her own and is drawn into the Fire Lord's larger game. In time, their fates will twine together in the events leading up to the ultimate climax of the war.
    Notes: Though I worked out a backstory for Ursa as part of writing my Azula Trilogy, I did not initially intend to do anything with the idea itself, until I realized that much of Iroh's backstory would have occurred at the same time. This gave me the idea to write a prequel centered around those two points of view, the events of which would ultimately culminate in the siege of Ba Sing Se, the death of Lu Ten, the assasination of Fire Lord Azulon, and the ascension of Ozai. I hope you enjoy!

Disclaimer: I do not own the setting or the canon characters. I do own my OCs.

Prologue: Succession

The Fire Lord was dead.

It had been a sudden death, taking the people of the Fire Nation by surprise. Azulon had been old, but he had still been in good health for a man of his age; none had anticipated that the still-mighty old firebender would simply pass in his sleep one night like an ordinary man. More unexpected still was his choice of successor- it was well known that Azulon had favored Prince Iroh, despite (or perhaps because) he was the less like him of his two sons; Prince Ozai had never been much more than an afterthought. And yet, it was that same prince who had been named as heir. It was a strange coincidence, too strange, some of the nobles said. Far too convenient indeed for the Fire Lord's ambitious younger son. Still, the word of the Fire Lord, living or dead, was sacrosanct unless contradicted by the sitting ruler, and besides, the Nation was in the midst of war and Prince Iroh was far away. A quick, easy transition would be best for all concerned.

And so it was that, as his father's body was ceremonially given to the flames, Prince Ozai became Fire Lord Ozai as the crowds bowed down to him. Only one, who stood near the rear of the crowd, knew the full truth of why this had happened and all the labors that had brought the new ruler to his exalted position; she had played her part in them. His hands were stained with so much blood already, and she had no doubt that he would soon add to it, but much of that same blood stained hers as well. Once the combined funeral and coronation was over, she would have to leave both the Capital and the Fire Nation itself, but she had wanted to see, one last time, the reason she had committed this last, ultimate crime.

There, kneeling behind Ozai as he basked in the crowd's worship, were two small forms, his children and hers. Her gaze went to the older of the two, the boy, for she knew that he was not and never had been favored by his father, and what she had done she did to protect him. "Goodbye, Zuko," she said quietly. "Be safe, my son. I hope that, someday, we may meet again."

As the royal family departed and the crowd rose, she who had once been the Lady Ursa turned and left the courtyard, the palace, and her old life behind. She and so many others had brought this to pass, but for now, her part was ended. Silently, with one final glance back, she bequeathed the future to Zuko and his generation.

She hoped only hoped he wouldn't make her same mistakes.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Interesting start! I can't wait to see where you take this.

3. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 1: Destinies in Motion

Twenty Years Previously?

Ursa was sitting in the garden of her family's mansion early in the morning of the day that would change her life forever. She sat on a small bench on the edge of the garden pool, watching the turtleducks swim in the shallow water. She'd always had a fondness for the small creatures, and her gaze was following them intently when she heard the footsteps approach behind her and then stop. She turned to see a middle-aged man in plain red robes, and she recognized one of her father's favorite servants.

"Forgive this interruption, my lady," the man said, bowing at the waist, "but your father requests your presence in his study at once- he says that it is most significant."

Ursa sighed, wondering exactly what it was he wanted this time- father simply wasn't the type to call his daughter in to speak with him simply because he desired the pleasure of her company. She turned a rose, catching a glimpse of herself in the pool as she did so- a teenage girl in the rich robes that, while not as ornate as some, plainly marked her as Fire Nation high nobility, her long black hair held back from her face by a plain golden clasp. "Thank you, Li," she told the servant. "I should probably go to see what he wants right away."

"That would be wise, my lady," Li replied, bowing again.

His work done, he remained in the garden as Ursa brushed past him and into the house, following the long hallways until she came to her father's study. He was waiting within, sitting on a low chair and sipping from a small cup of tea, over the rim of which he regarded his daughter with coolly appraising eyes. He wasn't a cruel father, like some Ursa had heard of, but neither was he openly affectionate; it was hard to escape the notion sometimes that he saw her less as a person and more as a particularly valuable asset of his house.

"Li said you wanted to see me?" Ursa asked him, giving the slight bow that was his due as her father and the head of her family.

"I did," he replied, motioning for a seat across from him. "Take a seat, Ursa. We have important matters concerning your future to discuss today."

"My future?" she asked, sitting down. "What do you mean?"

"This morning I received a letter saying that one of the marriages I was attempting to arrange for you has been successful." He glanced at her shrewdly. "Barring any unexpected upsets, you will within the next few years at most be wed to Prince Ozai."

Ursa gaped. "Prince Ozai?" she asked, feeling foolish but not entirely able to process what she'd just heard. "Fire Lord Azulon's younger son?"

Her father looked at her rather crossly. "Yes. I do believe that there is only one Prince Ozai currently living in the Fire Nation. As should be most obvious, this is a tremendous honor both for our family and for you. I trust you will make the most of it." Though he didn't say it out loud, there was something in his tone that clearly said, don't screw this up.

Ursa's mind was reeling. She'd never met Prince Ozai personally, and there'd never been much fanfare about him at court- he'd always been overshadowed by the exploits of his much older brother Iroh, who was both the heir to the throne and already making a name for himself in military service. As Iroh already had a young son himself, Ozai wasn't even likely to be part of the succession. All Ursa knew about him was that he was a little older than she was; she'd seen him from a distance a few times, and had thought him rather handsome. Still, her father was right- even a prince who wasn't favored would still bring tremendous honor and status to his bride, and to her family.

"Thank you for managing to get me this opportunity," Ursa finally managed to say. "I will do my best to prove worthy of it."

"I am certain you will," her father said, and for a brief moment she thought she heard genuine pride in his voice. When he continued, though, he was all business once again. "Prince Ozai is not currently in the Capital- I believe he is on a hunting expedition of some s

4. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 2: Pieces in Play

"Relax, daughter," Ursa's father said to her for what seemed like the fifth time as they rode across the Capital in a large palanquin. "What would the Fire Lord think of his son's bride-to-be if the first time he met her she was fidgeting uncontrollably?"

He'd probably think he was looking at a teenaged girl who was nervous to come face-to-face with the most powerful man on two continents, Ursa thought to herself, though she was wise enough not to say it. "I'm sorry, Father," she actually said aloud, doing her best to make certain that her hands were still. "I'll try to keep myself under control. This is still just a little- overwhelming."

He inclined his head. "I understand. Still, making a good first impression on Fire Lord Azulon is absolutely essential." He didn't say if he meant essential to her coming marriage, or essential to their family's success, though Ursa wasn't sure if he really saw a difference. It was a week after she had learned of her future, she had heard nothing more from the secretive Ying Shou, and Prince Ozai still hadn't returned from whatever secret trip he was on; consequently, the summons for Ursa to appear before his father had come as something of a surprise. So now she found herself being carried by servants across the Capital to the royal palace, dressed in her best robes and, despite her attempts to be outwardly calm, eaten up with fear on the inside. The office of the Fire Lord was revered by her people, and Azulon was greatly respected personally for his canny leadership and drive toward victory, but he was known to have little patience or mercy for those who failed to meet his exacting standards.

The palanquin came to a halt and was slowly lowered to the ground. Father rose and pushed the curtain aside, stepping out onto the street with Ursa beside him. The masked guards at the gates nodded to the two nobles as they passed between, and they ascended the steps towards the central building to be met by a pair of richly-dressed servants, who bowed.

"This way, my lord, my lady," the taller of the two said, and Ursa and her father followed them into a long hallway lined with the paintings of Fire Lords past. Ursa found that she wanted to stop and study them more closely- particularly the last two, depicting great Sozin and Azulon himself- but their guides made no signs of stopping. Finally they reached the end of the hall, where a door flanked by guards was marked by a curtain bearing the Fire Nation crest. Their task done, the servants bowed again and departed.

Knowing who waited behind that curtain, Ursa took a deep breath and turned to her father, who shook his head. "This is to be a private audience between you and the Fire Lord," he said. "I can't enter. This is your day, daughter."

"All right," Ursa said, breathing again. Squaring her shoulders she stepped towards the curtained doorway; one of the guards drew it aside, and she passed through.

The throne room was a place of mingled light and shadow. The ceiling was low and supported by rows of columns in every direction, giving it at once a feeling of being close and yet immense. Darkness clustered about the edges, but from the front of the room came a powerful, flickering golden light; the throne itself was wreathed in great flames. Ursa could barely catch a glimpse of the great chair behind the fire, and the human figure that sat within it; realizing who that must be, she quickly sank to her knees and prostrated herself.

"So," a dryly amused voice said above the crackling of the fire, "you are the one who is to be wed to my second son. I had heard much about you, of course, but that is no substitute for meeting face-to-face. You cannot truly know someone until you have looked into their eyes and seen their hopes and dreams for yourself." Ursa heard the sound of footsteps and a robe dragging on the floor, growing louder as they approached. "Raise your head, child. I wish to look you in the face."

She did so without question, and though she knew he must be there, her eyes st

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oooh, great start!! The Prologue almost had me crying. There aren't enough Ursa and Iroh stories--I can't wait for more!!

6. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 3: A Legend Begins

The attack on the Earth Kingdom fortress began conventionally enough. Fire Nation siege engines were wheeled within range and, at the order of the field commanders, began to lob balls of flaming pitch towards the walls. Because of the walls' height, the projectiles failed to clear them, instead smashing directly into the stone face. The Earth Kingdom soldiers laughed at first at what seemed to them to be the attackers' folly, but when the fireballs impacted they exploded with tremendous force, tearing great chunks out of the wall. Iroh and his commanders had ordered them tightly packed with explosives before they were launched.

The fortress's commander, though, only shook his head disappointedly as he watched the display from the tower window. "Even if he keeps that up all night, it won't bring the walls down," he muttered to himself. "And if he's any kind of general, he'll know we won't let him do that. What's your game, Prince Iroh?"

"Sir?" his second asked from behind him. "What are your orders?"

The commander shook his head and turned from the window. "It's time we show them that they're not the only ones adept and ranged warfare. Return fire." The second saluted quickly and hurried off to transmit the order.

Moments later, the earthbenders who lined the walls raised their hands and gave mighty heaves, wrenching the huge stone disks that had lain embedded in the courtyard free and causing them to rise above their heads. The soldiers took careful aim and then let the disks fly free; they crashed near the Fire Nation siege engines and rolled, destroying several of them and scattering the soldiers who stood nearby. Several still remained standing, and the attackers gathered themselves and returned fire, blasting several more holes in the wall. Again the stone disks rained down on them from above, joined by some loose rubble; this time almost all of the siege engines were either struck or forced to pull back to a safer range.

The Fire Nation ranks then slowly broke apart, and from among them came a team of great war rhinos, dragging behind them an immense black-iron machine that was tipped with a massive spike and spouted steam from vents in the rear. The commander's eyes widened at the sight; this device was unlike anything he'd ever seen before, and seemed equal parts battering ram and drill. It was clearly some knew technological nightmare cooked up in the Fire Nation's war labs, and whatever it's true function was, he didn't want it anywhere near his walls.

More stone rings rained down, and when one struck near the rhinos one of them panicked and tore free of its harness, charging among the attacking forces and scattering them within a small area until it was recaptured. The strange device, however, wasn't slowed; as it closed with the walls, the rhino team was released and led away and it ground slowly forward under its own power. It stopped against the base of the wall- the front portion extended and began to hammer into it, sending chips of stone flying.

The commander hurried from his quarters and down to the wall. "Target the drill!" he yelled to his men. "Destroy it before it does real damage!"

The earthbenders nearest to the device saluted, and then drew up a volley of stone disks; these rained down on or near the device, but apart from leaving a few dents in its armor, didn't appear to do any lasting damage. "This isn't working, sir!" the officer in charge of the earthbenders shouted back. "What should we do?"

The commander thought for a moment. "The ground!" he said. "You're earthbenders, aren't you? If you can't target the machine, target the ground it rests on!"

The officer saluted again, and then motioned to his men, who rode chunks of rock down to the base of the wall within the courtyard. Kneeling at its base, they planted their hands firmly on the ground and seemed to strain; a moment later, the sound of drilling on the other side was replaced with a terrible sound of grinding metal that slowly stilled. Glancing over the wall, the comman

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Love it! Iroh is sneaky/awesome :D

8. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 4: Secret Agendas

Ursa followed the old Ying Shou woman through the twisting corridors of the palace, having no real idea where she was going but too respectful- and, she had to admit, a little afraid- to protest. They stopped in an out-of-the-way corridor with blank, dusty walls, and the old woman nodded once and pressed against one panel in a series of places. The wall split open, revealing a hidden doorway and a flight of long, twisting stairs. The woman beckoned and then began to descend; Ursa followed closely behind her.

She didn't know how long they followed the winding stairs, but at last they emerged into a long, low room that had the feel of a place deep beneath the earth. The sides of the room were lined with empty chairs, and a Fire Nation banner hung from one wall, but otherwise the room was completely barren. Its only occupant was a man who looked like he could have been old when Fire Lord Azulon himself was a child; he was sitting in one of the chairs and clad in a long black robe trimmed in red, and was thoroughly engrossed in a scroll that lay open on his lap.

The old woman approached and bowed. "Master," she said in a dry voice, "I bring you the one whose training was requested, the Lady Ursa."

The man glanced up and carefully rolled his scroll up and placed it back in the case; from the angle he was holding it, it was impossible for Ursa to even glance at the characters on it. Then he stood, slowly and deliberately, and fixed her with the third unpleasantly penetrating gaze she'd received today. "Ahh," he breathed. "Well done, Nian. Yes, she will serve us nicely."

"Begging my lord's pardon," Ursa said, her tone polite but neutral, "but I would appreciate knowing exactly how I am to "serve you"."

The master of the Ying Shou looked Ursa up and down carefully. "Knowledge is power, young woman," he said. "We do not give it lightly. Why exactly do you feel you are qualified to know our purposes?"

"Because if I am to serve you- and the Fire Nation through you- I would think that knowing how I was to serve would be helpful."

The old man smiled tightly, as though pleased with that answer, though she couldn't help noticing that it never fully reached his eyes. "A valid point," he said. "In truth, there are several reasons why you were selected for our training, but the most immediate is this- you were recently chosen by the Fire Lord himself to marry his second son. Prince Ozai is currently a concern of ours, and your primary task shall be to keep an eye on him for us- a very close eye."

"What do you mean?" Ursa asked. "I haven't even met the Prince yet- even if we're betrothed, we're hardly close."

"That can be changed," the old man pointed out. "He is due to return to the Capital shortly, and you can begin our task then. In fact, that is tied to one of the questions we need answered. Ozai has taken to wearing secrecy about himself like a cloak, holding himself apart from the court and vanishing for weeks at a time on alleged hunting trips, from which he returns alone and with no game. It is obvious to us that the prince is planning something, but we need to know what it is, and if it is a possible threat to Fire Nation interests. That is the knowledge you will provide us."

Spying on a royal prince? The idea was as foreign and surprising to Ursa as marrying one, at the very least, and she felt the need to steady herself against something to keep from swaying on her feet. Nothing being in reach apart from the two Ying Shou- and touching a master assassin, even an elderly one, without his or her express permission seemed suicidal at best- she opted instead to try and move the conversation to less disturbing grounds. "You mentioned other reasons," she said. "Am I allowed to know them as well?"

"Do you truly not know already?" the master asked, his voice disturbingly amused. "Then I do not feel it is my place to enlighten you. For now, your primary concern is to be the prince. Put your other questions out of you mind until you have answered those about him."

Urs

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I feel like Jong isn't going to come out as the victor in that particular encounter . . .

10. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 5: Return of the Prince

Later in her life, Ursa would look back and idly wonder exactly why so many of the important events from those early days started with her receiving a summons in the garden. Of course, when she thought about it that wasn't so strange- she always loved spending time there, so it made sense that was where more than one message would find her there- but no matter the reason for it, she was in the garden when a servant, one she didn't recognize this time, came and told her that Prince Ozai was waiting for her in the family sitting room.

For a moment she stood still, surprised twice over- once that Ozai had actually returned from his "hunting trip", and once that a royal prince, no, the prince she was going to marry, was actually in her house, waiting for her. Quickly, though, a lifetime of training took over and she regained her composure. "You may inform the Prince," Ursa said calmly, "that I will join him presently." The servant bowed once to acknowledge the order and departed.

Ursa knew next to nothing about Ozai's temperament- rumor said he was somewhat distant, but that could mean any number of things- but she did know that it was a bad idea to keep anyone from the royal family waiting for long. Still, she needed just a moment to compose herself before facing him for the first time. Not only would she be going into the presence of royalty and her future husband, but this was also the man she'd been ordered to spy on. Closing her eyes, she breathed deeply, going through basic firebending mental disciplines until she thought she was ready. Then she opened her eyes again and made her way through the house towards the sitting room.

Her father was there, standing off in a corner and holding himself with the respectful dignity due royalty from high nobility. Ursa's gaze was drawn, however, to the other man in the room. Ozai was seated casually in one of the chairs, seemingly engrossed in studying one of his hands, though the tapping of one foot against the floor betrayed his impatience. He was, as she'd heard, a few years at most older than she was, and she found herself agreeing with the every report that made him handsome. There was something definitely regal in both his features and his bearing, and he had the beginnings of what would grow to be a thin beard like many men of the royal family wore.

"Ah," Ursa's father said, noticing her. "My daughter has finally arrived, Highness. I take my leave." He bowed and backed out of the room, but as he did so he shot Ursa a look that said don't screw this up as clearly as if he'd spoken aloud.

Ursa bowed once herself and then quickly seated herself in the chair across from Ozai. He leaned forward, golden eyes intent as he studied her; it took all of her will to avoid shrinking back from that penetrating gaze. A prince wouldn't be impressed with a girl who showed such an obvious weakness, she told herself. Finally he leaned back and smiled.

"Well," he said, "I must admit I was surprised when I returned home to find that Father had finally gone through with arranging a match for me, but I must admit I didn't expect him to pick such an attractive bride." Ozai's words were even and polite, but Ursa had the sense that he chose every one of them with deliberation and care, gauging her reaction.

Finally, she found her own voice. "Personally, I find it more surprising that we're being allowed to spend time together without a chaperone hovering over us, Highness," she said, and breathed a mental sigh of relief when Ozai actually gave a quiet laugh in response.

"Being royalty does have certain advantages," he told her, but she could hear for the first time a faint bitterness underlying his words. "Though I have no doubt that your father or one of his servants is standing just outside with his ear pressed to the door, hanging on to our every word." He shook his head. "It's almost sad, really. Oh, and for now, I'd prefer you just called me Ozai. Ceremony in private is tedious, especially between betrotheds."

"As you wish, Hig

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    OF COURSE Ozai would interpret the play like that 8-}

Hmm, very interesting! No wonder he eventually sets capturing the Avatar as Zuko's task.

12. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 6: Preparations for the Future

Master An Ying regarded Ursa intently with his bright, piercing eyes as she finished reporting the meeting she had overheard between Ozai and his henchman. When she was through, he looked her up and down once and then asked with calm deliberation "Are you certain that you heard nothing else of import?"

"I am certain, Master," she told him. An Ying paced back and forth for a moment before the Fire Nation banner that hung in his underground chambers, hands clasped together and head bowed in thought. Finally he looked up at her and nodded once.

"You have done well," he said. "It would appear that Prince Ozai merely wishes his father's approval- or perhaps even merely his attention- and so plans to secure it in the most spectacular manner possible. Still, it is possible his bitterness might one day turn his thoughts towards treasonous directions- you will continue to watch him and report to us if he does so." He paused for a moment before continuing. "Tell me, child- what do you know of the circumstances of Prince Ozai's birth?"

"Not much," Ursa told him, though she was at a loss as to where this was going. "Just that he was born almost two decades after his brother, and his mother died shortly afterwards. Beyond that?" she shrugged.

"When Prince Iroh first began to seriously consider joining the military," the Ying Shou master said, "the Fire Lord came to realize that there was a distinct possibility his son might die in battle, which could prove disastrous for the succession during a time of war. As a result, he decided that it would be best if he had a second heir in the case of such an occurrence. And therefore we have a Prince who is so much younger than his brother, and knows full well that he exists only as a spare." The old eyes pierced Ursa again. "Our Fire Lord is a driven man, but not an affectionate one. I do not believe he was ever cruel to Ozai, but neither did he ever go out of his way to win his younger son's love. It is enough to inspire a great deal of bitterness in a man."

"Why are you telling me this?" Ursa asked.

"Because," An Ying said forcefully, "if you know how he thinks, you will know what signs to watch for." He settled back into his chair and waved a hand. "Leave for now. I will summon you later to continue your training, but until then, be ready."

Ursa was surprised at being dismissed so soon, but she knew better than to question it. Bowing at the waist, she turned and departed from the cave-like secret room, leaving the old master alone with his plots and schemes.

# # # # # # # # # # # #

An Ying- a title reserved for the leader of the Ying Shou and not a name, though the old man used his birth name so seldom now that it might as well have been- sat in his chair with his head bowed as he listened to the young woman's footfalls ascend the steps. Age had sharpened his senses, rather than dulled them- true, they might be mechanically failing, but he knew what to look and listen for far better now than he had in his youth. He waited until the sound of her steps was gone completely and then simply sat and listened to the stillness until it was interrupted by the sound of other steps, these descending rather than rising and walking more slowly. An Ying bowed his head and waited carefully until the footfalls approached him, and then lifted his gaze to meet his visitor's.

"Majesty," he said in a soft, reverent voice to Fire Lord Azulon. "How might this humble one serve you?"

"Humble?" Azulon asked calmly, seating himself in one of the empty chairs. "Hardly, my servant. I know you take great pride in your skills, but as I have come to rely on those skills as well I see no difficulty with it. Pride is a sin only when it cannot be backed up with reality." He made eye contact with An Ying, one old predator greeting another, and the Ying Shou master looked away first. "How is the girl progressing?"

"Quite well, I believe," An Ying told his lord. "She brought a most interesting bit of news just now- it seems Ozai has taken i

13. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 7: Walking With Destiny

Under the direction of teams of skilled earthbenders, the walls of Ba Sing Se slammed shut behind General Jong's army as it departed from the capital and into war. Once they were closed, the Earth King solemnly processed back to his palace, accompanied by his ministers, the generals who had stayed behind, and the senior officers of the Dai Li. Once they were gone, the crowd began to drift apart as the people returned to their own homes and lives, their holiday over. Some left alone, others with family or groups of friends, making quiet conversation about their businesses or their hopes and fears for the war.

A calm, quiet young man watched them from beneath the shadows of his wide-brimmed hat, his gaze interested in their doings but devoid of feeling. These people were the backbone of the great city, he knew it well, but at the same time they were so? petty, so small. They saw only that which was presented before them, with no grasp for the subtleties of the grander vision. Of course, the military was little better. General Jong had vision and charisma, but little subtlety- if a problem couldn't be solved by throwing enough rocks at it, then in the young man's opinion Jong would never solve it. The other generals were worse, so hidebound and traditional as to be almost useless. No, that was wrong- all men had their uses. They just needed a strong guiding hand to ensure those uses were realized.

The man turned away from the departing crowds and began to walk through the city's streets, swift and quiet. Few noticed him at all- those who did dismissed him easily. He had been trained well in the art of making himself unobtrusive. Coming to an apparently abandoned building, he nodded once briefly to the two men who loitered casually outside, and who returned the gesture, before going inside. There, he positioned himself within the exact center of the room and stamped hard on the stone floor with one foot. It shook briefly, and then the hidden platform gave way and lowered him into the catacombs below.

Two more men, these in the green robes of the Dai Li, met him at the bottom. "You're expected," one of them said, gesturing down the tunnel. "He is waiting for you."

"Then I will not keep him waiting," the first man replied, saluting his comrades in arms and making his way down the passage. It continued for a great distance before branching off into several side tunnels. The young Dai Li agent took one of them, and knocked once on the wooden door at the end of it.

"Enter," a calm voice on the other side said, and the young man pushed the door open and stepped into a long, low room lined with shelves of scrolls- one of several repositories that the Dai Li maintained that together recorded information on almost everyone within the city, including the Earth King and his generals themselves. The speaker, a man of middle years, stood with his back to the door, facing a hearth that blazed with green fire- a luxury only the highest officials of Ba Sing Se could afford.

A luxury that, one day, the young man was determined he would have for himself.

"Report," his superior said in that same calm voice.

"My lord," the agent said. "General Jong has departed the city. The speech and sending-off passed without incident. The last I saw of the King, he was returning to the palace under the protection of several of our elders. They can no doubt give you more information on that matter than I, if you wish it."

"I will speak to them later," Lord Bei, head of the Dai Li, replied. "What was the mood of the crowd?"

"Excited, my lord, both for the presence of Jong and the King. It's a rare event for them to see two such illustrious figures in the same place." The young man snorted softly. "The common folk are easily entertained."

Lord Bei turned towards him, one eyebrow raised. "Indeed? I believe you come from common background yourself, Agent. Or was I mistaken?" It was a rhetorical question. The Head of the Dai Li was rarely mistaken, and never about one of his subordinates.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    LONG FENG!!

Ozai is freaking me out a bit, but I love Iroh [face_love] Actually, my favorite part was the scene with Azulon. I found it very insightful.

15. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 8: Fire and Stone

The Earth Kingdom village was hit suddenly and without warning by Iroh's Fire Nation forces. A small detachment of earthbending soldiers hurried to the top of the village's small wall as soon as they saw the invading forces on the horizon, but they could tell even from a glance that they were too far outnumbered to have any serious hope of defeating their enemy- their only goal was to buy the townsfolk enough time to make a clean escape.

The village was situated along a river, and the villagers hurriedly piled into their fishing boats and cast off from the docks, taking one last sorrowful glance back at their homes before the current bore them away towards Ba Sing Se and safety. Along the wall, the earthbenders steadied themselves and then raised their hands, ripping large chunks of rock free from the ground and with a series of strong kicks sending them flying towards the front ranks of the advancing Fire Nation troops.

Firebenders blasted several of the boulders from the sky, but a handful impacted, crushing soldiers and scattering their formation. Iroh's troops, however, were disciplined and well lead. Regrouping, they spread out to minimize the damage a single rock could do, while individual firebenders sent blasts shooting towards the defenders with the intention of scouring them from the wall. The earthbenders were skilled, taking cover behind their wall or blocking with bent stone, but in the end the outcome of the battle was inevitable. One by one the Earth Kingdom defenders fell, and the damage they had done to the Fire Nation army was minimal.

Iroh paused beside the body of one of the earthbenders as he rode his rhino through the village gates. "I do not take pleasure in this," he said to himself, shaking his head. "These men died defending their homes; they were the enemy, but I can respect what they did." He motioned to one of his officers. "See to it that they are treated with respect."

The officer saluted and departed, and another hurried up, spyglass in hand. "Sir, there are a large number of refugees fleeing down the river in boats. What are your orders?"

Iroh paused to consider. "Leave them," he said. "We gain nothing from killing them- they do not have enough boats for us to use to cross, even if we could take them without sinking them- but if we let them live they will spread word of our coming and demoralize the Earth Kingdom." He paused to look around the village and nearby environment, making up his mind. "The village is abandoned. Confiscate any supplies you find, and then get set to work on making boats."

The officer saluted. "As you command, General."

# # # # # # # # # # # #

"Iroh's forces are looting the village," the scout reported, "and the bulk of his army is camped just outside. They appear to be preparing boats for the crossing. It is as you predicted, sir."

General Jong smiled. "Good. Iroh was a fool to think he could march this deep into Earth Kingdom territory- we shall show him the height of his folly. Go to my commanders, and tell them to advance towards the river- use the forest for cover. When they are in position, signal the advance elements. We shall catch him between the rockslide and the cliff."

"Yes, sir!" The scout saluted and mounted his ostrich-horse. Kicking the creature in the sides, he rode off to carry out his orders, leaving Jong alone at his command post, contemplating the battle to come. Soon, Prince Iroh of the Fire Nation would be no more, and with that glory under his belt, Jong's mastery of the Earth Kingdom would be unquestionable.

# # # # # # # # # # # #

Iroh was just exiting the conquered village and making his way towards his main camp when the earth rocked beneath his feet. Spinning towards the source of the sound, he saw a massive pillar of rock dust rising from the forests across the river. The Fire Prince's eyes narrowed dangerously- he had comparatively little firsthand experience of this part of the world, but he was reasonably certain that this kind of occurrence was not in any sense

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Go Iroh! Jong was stupid to underestimate his enemy--that's the first sign of overconfidence that will lead to a downfall.

Will we be seeing Jeong-Jeong at all?

17. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    ^ He'll probably get at least a scene later on.

Chapter 9: Mission

Master An Ying knelt before the throne of Fire Lord Azulon, forehead pressed to the floor. It was seldom these days that the Fire Lord called his spymaster in person from the catacombs of his own domain into the main palace, and that could only mean that he had something of grave importance he wished to discuss. Though his body was still, An Ying's mind raced as he wondered what exactly his monarch intended, and he concluded two possibilities- either Azulon had a special task in mind, or he was displeased with something. In either case, An Ying felt it wise to show the utmost respect.

"We are alone, my servant," Azulon's voice came from behind the flames. "You may rise."

"Thank you, Majesty," An Ying replied, rising slowly to his feet. Focusing carefully on Azulon, he tried to make out the Fire Lord's expression, but to no avail. Azulon's features were, as usual, a mask of cold confidence that gave away nothing of his intentions. "The Ying Shou are at your disposal, as ever. What is your will?"

"Distressing news has come to my attention," the Fire Lord said. "Earlier today, I received a report from my son, and it would seem that Iroh's campaign has been? stalled for some weeks now."

"That is most unfortunate, Majesty," An Ying replied. "Did the report indicate the reason? Prince Iroh always struck me as highly competent as a leader and a firebender- you wouldn't always know it from looking at him, of course, but that can be an advantage itself. Did his report indicate why?"

"Yes," Azulon told him. "An Earth Kingdom army met and stalemated him, under the command of one General Jong. What do you know of him?"

An Ying paused, sorting through the various Earth Kingdom nobility and military officers he had read reports on, finally fitting the name to a scroll of information. "General Jong is the head of the Council of Five, the Earth Kingdom's ultimate military authority. A powerful man, Majesty. Skilled at both bending and war, a dynamic figure and forceful leader. He is popular with the common people, and in practice he may well hold more power than the Earth King himself." An Ying smiled darkly. "Your son has found an enemy worthy of him, Majesty."

"Yes, I suppose he has," Azulon mused. "Your report confirms what Iroh's told me of the man. But he is also his army's greatest weakness. Do you know why?"

"Enlighten me." An Ying had a fair idea where his lord was going with this, but if a Fire Lord wished to explain something, it was always conducive to one's health to let him.

"A man like Jong commands respect based on force of personality and power alone," Azulon said. "But remove him from the equation, and he is not easily replaced. With him gone, I am confident that Iroh will handle his army."

"Indeed," An Ying replied. "If that is your wish, I shall put one of my top assassins on the task."

"Wait a moment," Azulon said, raising one hand. "The girl, Ursa. How is she progressing?"

"Her training progresses well, I think," An Ying said, rather thrown for a loop by this line of questioning. "As a firebender, she lacks raw power but has demonstrated distinct skill, and her skill in stealth and knives is improving, but?" the spymaster's eyes widened. "You cannot be serious!"

Azulon's eyes narrowed. "Do you forget to whom you speak? If I wish the girl to take the assignment, then she will have it."

"But, Majesty," An Ying said, "she is not ready for fieldwork. Most likely, she will either die or be captured, and how that will serve your ultimate plans for her I cannot imagine?"

"You say yourself she has not shown any remarkable power," Azulon replied coldly. "Perhaps she needs more? direct encouragement. If training will not produce the required effect, then perhaps genuine danger will. And should she die," the Fire Lord's voice and expression held no mercy, "then perhaps she wasn't what I was looking for after all. That is my will in this matter- Ursa will take this assignment, and my mind will not chan

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Tozen is realyl intreguing. I want to know what's up!

19. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 10: Plans and Fears

The moon rose into the night sky as Iroh sat in a small boat in the middle of the river, waiting for General Jong to appear. A few days ago, he had sent a messenger hawk to the Earth Kingdom camp, urging its commander to meet with him alone and discuss the ongoing stalemate- earlier today, the hawk had returned, bearing with it a message from Jong. He had agreed to a short truce at midnight, just the two of them; Iroh had accepted.

"Are you certain this is wise, sir?" the young officer- who was called Lieutenant Azun*, named for Iroh's father- had asked. "The treacherous Earth Kingdom dog probably wants to lead you into an ambush- kill you while you're separated from your men. The Fire Nation can't afford to lose you."

"I am not worried," Iroh had told him. "I believe Jong is in earnest- a stab in the dark is not in his character. And if it were, and he killed me- no nation takes kindly to the slaughter of its royalty, or of those killed under a flag of truce. He would be a fool if he tried, for it would bring the whole Fire Nation down upon him." He had laughed, then. "Besides, in pai sho or in war, he who takes no risks never wins."

"If you say so, sir," Azun said, though his tone was still dubious.

As the moon neared its zenith, a second boat appeared, slowly coming towards Iroh's from the opposite side of the river. Its only passenger was a man both huge a muscular, clad in the uniform of a high Earth Kingdom officer- Jong himself. The earthbender stopped just short of the firebender and pulled his boat up alongside his rival's.

"So," Jong rumbled, "I see that you have come alone."

"I keep my word, General," Iroh said, "as, I see, do you."

"Indeed? General." Jong appeared thoughtful. "I must admit, I am curious as to why you arranged this meeting."

"Perhaps I merely wanted to meet you- and I felt that no doubt you would wish to do the same. It's always a wise plan to know your enemy, after all! But I had also hoped to convince you to depart. This stalemate serves neither of our interests."

"Surrender?" Jong looked incredulous at first, then gave a low, rumbling laugh. "I will not surrender to you, Iroh. I may not have the advantage over you, but neither do you have the advantage over me. This campaign is not over for either of us."

"I did not mean surrender!" Iroh said, raising his hands. "I merely wished to offer you a chance to pull back and consolidate your forces. The Fire Nation will not be stopped here, General Jong- you must know this. Even as a wildfire is not sated until it has consumed an entire field, it is the Fire Nation's destiny to encompass this world."

"I will not budge for you," Jong said. "Fire may be the element of passion and drive, but earth is the element of stability and substance. I will not move from my position until you are crushed, or I have drawn my last breath. You reveal your true character to me, now, for a wildfire destroys all that lies in its path, and you are no different."

"But after the fire has passed through, new life my emerge and thrive that could not have done so before," Iroh countered. "A cleansing fire is a part of nature's cycle- it is not evil. However, I am not purely self-interested in this. You must look to your own home, General Jong."

"What do you mean?" the Earth Kingdom general asked, his dark green eyes searching Iroh's face intently.

"While the Earth King reigns in Ba Sing Se, all know the truth- that it is the army that is the true power in the capital and the Kingdom. But you have been away for some time now, and that leaves the field open for other players. I have heard rumors of those called the Dai Li- surely they will be quick to take advantage of your absence?"

"The Dai Li are nothing," Jong growled. "Skulking cowards unfit to be called earthbenders. When I return to Ba Sing Se with you in chains, they will know who the true power is. This is no parley, Iroh- you attempt to turn me from my path, but I will not be shaken. This contest will be settled through combat."

"I

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I wonder who'll get to Jong first, Ursa or Iroh.

And I'm dying to know what Ursa's father was going to say!!

21. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 11: First Blood

General Jong looked up from his maps as one of his scouts entered the command tent. The man stopped in the entrance and saluted before the general beckoned him forward. "Report," Jong said. "What new of Iroh and the Fire Nation army?"

"I was patrolling along the river, sir, along with my company, as I had been ordered," the scout said, "and we noticed that there was quite a commotion on the other side, in the Fire Nation camp. We watched them for some time, until we were certain of what we were seeing, and then it was decided that I should return to report to you."

"And what did you see that was so important I needed to know at once?" Jong demanded, his patience beginning to wear thin. "Out with it, man!"

"The Fire Nation army appears to be? leaving, sir," the scout finally said.

"Leaving?" Jong demanded. That made little sense. If it had been another Fire Nation commander out there, a lesser one, he would have believed it, maybe, but not Iroh. From his meeting with the man almost a week and a half ago, he'd come away with the distinct impression that he was not one to abandon his duty idly. The Fire Lord's son was a man who would find a way to win in any situation. "It must be a trick. I will go and see this for myself."

Stepping out from behind his map table, Jong marched out of his tent and shouted for his ostrich-horse to be brought to him. A short while later he was mounted and riding through the camp and then the forest, accompanied only by a handful of bodyguards and the scout. Soon, they had reached the river.

Jong reined in his mount on the bank and waved for one of his bodyguards to hand him a spyglass. Raising it to his eye, he looked out over the Fire Nation encampment and studied it intently. Sure enough, it gave every indication that its inhabitants were packing up to leave- even the mighty war machines that had made crossing the river impossible for the Earth Kingdom troops were being disassembled.

"He must have found another crossing somewhere else along the river," Jong mused quietly, lowering the glass. "I would imagine that General Iroh thinks to outflank us. But we will not be caught so easily." He motioned across the river. "See there? The catapults are being taken down. We can make the crossing ourselves soon. I have had men working on making boats and rafts for us- when the Fire Nation forces are gone, we shall cross and pursue them- and then crush them when they are unprepared." He turned to the captain of his guards. "Go and tell my officers that I wish them to have the army readied for march as quickly as they can."

The captain saluted. "As you command, my General."

# # # # # # # # # # # #

Ursa reined in her lizard on a rise overlooking the river and tried to figure out what was going on. After more than a week of hard riding she'd made it to the location of Iroh's war camp, but while she could see it from her current position, it looked very much like the Fire Nation forces were merely packing up and leaving. That made little sense based on anything she knew of her Nation's military in general, or Iroh in particular. Why would he depart when battle hadn't even been engaged yet? Of course, maybe it had while Ursa had been on the move- but as she studied the terrain, she saw no sign of it. Only the bustling camp, and the occupied Earth Kingdom village beside it.

Slowly, her gaze crossed the river to the other side- and stopped. There stood a cluster of figures in green uniforms mounted on ostrich-horses, and though it was difficult for Ursa to make out specific features from such a distance, she thought that one of them was unusually large and his uniform was more ornate. Could it be Jong himself? And if it was, what could she do about it?

Trying to find a way to kill Jong from here- and by extension, avoid having to confront either his earthbending or his army- but Ursa quickly realized it wouldn't work. Perhaps one of the elite Yu Yan Archers could make a shot like that, but she'd only used a bow a handful of times in her lif

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Woah, intense!! Ursa did a great job, though I'd sasd she had to do it :(

23. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 12: Coup

Iroh paced in the midst of the ruins of General Jong's war camp, scratching his chin in thought. Jong's army had been routed, and while the general himself had not been faced, captured Earth Kingdom soldiers who had been in or near the camp itself when the Fire Nation struck all agreed that he was dead, though they did not know how. That was something which Iroh found troubling- the mighty Earth Kingdom commander had been the picture of health when they'd met face-to-face, and if half his reputation was to be believed, was powerful enough that he wouldn't have gone down without giving a major fight- Iroh had planned to face him himself, backed up by elite firebenders. So what had happened to him? Was this a trick? Iroh didn't think so- Jong had struck him as an intelligent man, but one who solved problems with direct force, rather than subterfuge- but he couldn't be sure.

Iroh turned from his musings as he heard several of his soldiers approach, Lieutenant Azun in the lead. "Sir," the young officer said, "my men found a young woman near the edge of camp. She requested that she be brought to you at once, and although we can't be sure, she certainly looks like she could be Fire Nation. What are your orders?"

"Bring her to me," Iroh told him after a moment of thought. "Perhaps she can help shed some light on the mystery of what happened here."

"Yes, sir." Azun saluted and withdrew, waving his men forward as he did so. They approached their general, and between them walked a pale girl who looked to be in her late teens, her long dark hair bound back in a tail. As she approached Iroh, she raised her head, and he could see that her eyes glinted gold- a color particularly common among the Fire Nation nobility.

"I hear that you wished to see me," Iroh told her. "Who are you, and what is it you wished to say?"

"My name is Ursa," the girl said, and Iroh could hear the weariness in her voice, though it took on strength as she spoke. "I am an apprentice of the Ying Shou, and I was sent here on a mission by your father." Her voice sank to a murmur. "I was the one who killed General Jong."

"Ursa," Iroh said softly- that name was familiar, but from where? Ah, yes- he remembered it from his father's correspondences. "You are the one who is to marry my brother- I didn't know the Ying Shou had taken you on for training. How did you kill Jong, I wonder? He was a very formidable man."

"I got very lucky, more than anything," Ursa said, and then she told the events that had lead up to the general's death. "If he'd thought to bind me with metal, or he hadn't turned when he did, or there hadn't been candles on the map table I could use to bend, I probably wouldn't have been able to do it- and I certainly wouldn't have gotten out alive."

"You were lucky, but you took advantage of the opportunities you were presented with and kept your head in a crisis," Iroh told her approvingly. "I am in your debt. Come with me to my command tent; we can talk more there."

# # # # # # # # # # # #

Ursa sat at the table in Iroh's tent, greedily eating the meal he'd had his aides bring them- she was considerably hungrier than she'd realized, it seemed. As she ate, she studied the crown prince of her Nation across the table- he was considerably older than his brother, and stout where Ozai was tall, but there was a definite strength to his limbs, and if stories were true, he and Ozai were nearly equal in terms of their firebending strength, surpassed only by their father. Personally, Iroh seemed to be much more relaxed and open than either of his relatives, though Ursa had the feeling he had a similar drive to accomplish great things beneath the surface. Yes, she decided, the Fire Lord and the princes were all very different, but they were at the same time alike enough that it wasn't hard to realize they were kin.

"You're very young," Iroh finally said. "You cannot have been training with the Ying Shou for long."

Ursa shook her head. "Only a couple of months now," she said. "This was my first mission- th

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The Dai Li enforce the Earth King's rule, and protect this nation's history and heritage- not the other way around.

They change so much . . .

Long Feng is creepy as always. And I'm very interested to see what, if any, relationship Ursa and Iroh have!

25. MasterGhandalf

Oct 25, 2009
    Chapter 13: Homecoming

The warship pulled into the Capital's docks and came to a halt before lowering its ramp to the ground. Iroh stood near the prow in full armor, as befitted a man of his station- a prince and general making a triumphant homecoming from the field of battle. Two lines of soldiers stood directly behind him to form a ceremonial guard; they were facing forward and their postures were rigidly attentive.

Ursa stood near the back of the ranks, trying her hardest to resist the urge to fiddle with her helmet- honestly, how did real soldiers stand to wear these things on a daily basis? The answer was beyond her. However, Iroh had suggested and she'd agreed that if she showed up with his soldiers as herself it would lead to awkward questions, and so they'd settled on a disguise. In uniform and helmet she would be safely anonymous, and could slip away to report and return home at her leisure. Unfortunately, to someone unaccustomed to wearing it, parts of the disguise were rather unpleasant.

Once the ramp was lowered, Iroh marched down it with his honor guard following close behind. A small group of firebenders in the distinctive armor of the Royal Procession awaited them there, kneeling as the Fire Lord's son passed them. One figure who stood slightly beyond them, however, remained standing, his youthful, aristocratic features set in a carefully neutral expression. Iroh came even with him and then stopped, turning to face him.

"Brother," he said. "I admit this is a surprise. I didn't expect to see you here!"

"Why would I not come to greet my only brother when he returns victorious from the field of battle?" Ozai asked. "After all, who would not wish to do homage to such a great hero of the Fire Nation?" The younger prince's tone was even, polite, sincere, but Ursa could hear the bitterness that underlay it, faint, but present nonetheless. Subconsciously she shrank back behind the soldier in front of her- she didn't fear Ozai, but in the unlikely event that he recognized her, explanations could get? complicated.

An unreadable expression flitted across Iroh's face- apparently he picked up on the undercurrent in his brother's words as well- but quickly he smiled and put an arm around Ozai's shoulder. "You could join the army yourself, little brother," he said lightly. "If half of what I've heard about your firebending talents is true, I could use a man like you watching my back. You could go far."

"Indeed," Ozai said, deftly slipping out of his brother's reach. "But unfortunately, Father forbids it- he says that he needs a son who is not at risk, should the worst happen. And so, I am forced to remain here with? unlimited leisure time."

"I can speak to Father about if, if you like," Iroh offered. Ozai's expression darkened, and for a moment he looked like he was about to give a scathing retort, but he stopped himself before speaking.

"Perhaps that? would be helpful," the younger prince did finally say. "In any case, I don't think I should hold you up any longer. Father will want your report, after all. Agni guard you, Iroh."

"And you, Ozai." The royal brothers gave short bows to each other, and then Ozai gestured towards the end of the docks' plaza where a small group of servants waited beside a palanquin. Iroh seated himself within the conveyance and the bearers set off for the palace district, the honor guard following close behind.

As Ursa passed Ozai, she could feel his eyes on her, his expression curious as he studied her, though he didn't speak. Did he recognize her? She didn't think he would with the uniform, but there was something about the look in her betrothed's eyes that told her he knew or suspected far more than he was letting on.

# # # # # # # # # # # #

"So," Fire Lord Azulon said, his tone deeply satisfied, "General Jong is no more, his army crushed. The Earth Kingdom military will survive, of course, but they will reel from these events for years. You have done well, my son. The Fire Nation is pleased with you- and so am I."

"I thank you, Father," Iroh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.